• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heavily criticized games that you really enjoy

KLltmeL.jpg

While this game has its flaws (the biggest being some slightly inaccurate hit detection), I consider it a masterpiece. The story is of the same quality as the classic Silent Hill games: it's a profoundly intimate, personal story, similarly well-told in a creatively oblique manner. The spare but wonderful soundtrack is perfect. Shame this one is so absurdly expensive now. Anybody know if it's gotten a digital release?

The small uproar over the supposed presence of "inappropriate sexual content" was 100% bunk, btw. Purely a moral panic.

Jakoozie89

Neo Member
Tomb Raider 2013

All in all it was a fun game, even if it wasn't a great "Tomb Raider" game.

Is this game heavily criticized? I loved it, it had tighter gameplay and visuals (PC) than Uncharted, and better weapon variety. Not as charming as ol' Drake, but still fantastic.

I kind of hate the older TR games too. Have played almost all of them, liked none. (I love Guardian of Light)

Is this game heavily criticized? I loved it, it had tighter gameplay and visuals (PC) than Uncharted, and better weapon variety. Not as charming as ol' Drake, but still fantastic.

I kind of hate the older TR games too. Have played almost all of them, liked none. (I love Guardian of Light)

This is why the new Tomb Raider can go fuck itself. It's pretty much made for people who didn't like the old ones.

zoukka

God Hand is one of my favourite games ever! So cheesy, so epic, so responsive and complex. I haven't laughed at many games so much in a good way.

misho8723

Banned
Alpha Protocol (one of my favorite games overall)

Vampire: Bloodlines

Deadly Premonition

Cryostasis

Alan Wake

Call of Cthulhu : Dark Corners of the Earth

Murdered: Soul Suspect

Thief 3

Bluth54

Alan Wake gets some criticism for how repetitive the combat is due to lack of enemy and weapon variety and that's a fair point, but I still love the game and consider it one of the best of the last generation.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Forced unleashed series and the final fantasy 13 series! I really liked both of them, especially 13.

Shit yes how could I forget the Force Unleashed games. They're both awesome. Still have the second one. Got the full 1000GS on the first and I'm eventually going to get there on the second.

Kater

Banned
logo-gonehome.png

Haven't you heard? It's actually not a game at all. I think this is not a game and this comes from someone who really liked Dear Esther as a game.

That's the kind of nonsense I read on GAF and Steam about this title.

For me it has the best kind of story-telling in a game to date.

Dr. Buni

Skyward Sword. Then again, I only see the game being criticized here on GAF and on Zelda Universe. In other places people seem to hold the game dearly, as do I.
It is not a game. It might be a great... something, but it is not a game.

Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts is my all time favorite 360 game. It gets a ton of hate for not being Threeie, but it's great at what it does.

nkarafo

Earthworm_Jim_3D_cover.jpg

I enjoyed it on the N64 but never finished it, i'm actually planning finishing it on PC, i have it installed and waiting.

It's funny how much the idea of "heavily criticized" can vary. Some games get terrible reviews and I usually never give them a shot, but other games get great reviews and then have huge backlash (GTA4, Bioshock Infinite, Skyward Sword). Personally I'm a huge fan of the last two but the backlash also helps me put their faults into perspective.

Skyrim. Love hate, but I still enjoy it most of the time.

Fallout: New Vegas, FFX-2, and Diablo III are all pretty fun as well.

Wet
Remember Me
Ryse
The Force Unleashed (Played both, only thought the first was great)
Enslaved

Games that were all criticized, some of which more then others, yet I enjoyed them all.

Zakalwe

Banned
Wet
Remember Me
Ryse
The Force Unleashed (Played both, only thought the first was great)
Enslaved

Games that were all criticized, some of which more then others, yet I enjoyed them all.

Again, I don't think Enslaved counts... has pretty good reviews all round and good user feedback. Pretty far from "heavily" critisised.

Kater

Banned
Skyward Sword. Then again, I only see the game being criticized here on GAF and on Zelda Universe. In other places people seem to hold the game dearly, as do I.

It is not a game. It might be a great... something, but it is not a game.

What an original criticism. It's not true though. Gone Home has few gameplay mechanics, but they exist. And that makes it a video game.

misho8723

Banned
Resident Evil 5. I love the Wesker parts, and co-op is great.

I don't think these qualify as heavily critisised.

I have read many articles and opinions of people, and many of them thought that AW was one of the biggest disappointments of 2010 and Thief 3 was heavily criticized by the Thief 1 and Thief 2 fans.. only that one mission - The Shalebridge Cradle - was praised by them

Peltz

Three games come to mind that all get hate (in part) for their controls:

Skyward Sword
Kid Icarus Uprising
Wonderful 101

I had a great time with all three.

Zakalwe

Banned
I have read many articles and opinions of people, and many of them thought that AW was one of the biggest disappointments of 2010 and Thief 3 was heavily criticized by the Thief 1 and Thief 2 fans.. only that one mission - The Shalebridge Cradle - was praised by them

Where are these articles on Alan Wake? The majority of everything I can find is positive. It really don't think it's anywhere near "heavily" critisised. On all platforms user and critic is 80+ on metacritic.

And I remamber Thief 3 being praised, and it's currently sitting at 85/84 on metacritic. Again, doesn't seem heavily critisised to me either.

I know metacritic isn't the only thing to consider, but I can't find any consistent majority feedback suggesting these two received heavy critisism.

Riddy

Corpse Party
I don't even usually enjoy anime but I got sucked into the story and universe anyway. It's definitely a guilty pleasure and I won't bother arguing against any of it's perceived flaws, but I found it really fun (the sequel...was not as good to say the least)

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
Huge SH fan here, and still thoroughly enjoyed it for what it was. Even beat it four times!

Sleeping Dogs
I loathe GTA games, but something about the setting and combat in this game really captivated me, to the point where I beat it in a 4-day binge on holiday. I had far more fun with it than GTAIV (have yet to play GTAV).

Gone Home
This is already really dangerous to publicly support, but as someone who strongly disliked Dear Esther and the Amnesia sequel, I thought this game did everything the chinese room tried to do, and told a story that is much more interesting and emotional than just the
lesbian love-story
critics make it out to be.

LukasF

I'll never understand why people didn't go gaga over Starhawk. Its singleplayer wasn't terribly compelling story-wise but the MP was just incredible, ridiculous over-the-top fun with some really cool, fresh gameplay ideas.

Ditto on Beyond: Two Souls and really any David Cage game. Didn't move me as much as Heavy Rain, and I'm a sucker for a good mystery so HR gets tons of points for free, but everything about the B:TS' production is vastly improved.

And... sorry but God of War: Ascension has my favorite gameplay out of the entire series, easily. *dodges tomatoes*

Jakoozie89

Neo Member
Gone Home was really interesting. Don't understand what's to hate. Not every indiegame has to be an intense 2D platformer with retro visuals.

Reese-015

Gone Home was wonderful and fuck the "it's not a game" argument, I get it with Dear Esther, sure, Dear Esther and The Stanley Parable can be described as 'virtual installations' or whatever, but Gone Home is at its core a basic puzzle game with most of its focus on narrative. Gone Home is not "walk around and everything will just happen with no interaction". Gone Home is essentially a basic puzzle. It even has a level of challenge to it. (I missed some things and had issues completing the locker code the first time) It's a puzzle. Puzzles are games. Gone Home is a game. Deal with it.

SerTapTap

logo-gonehome.png

Haven't you heard? It's actually not a game at all. I think this is not a game and this comes from someone who really liked Dear Esther as a game.

That's the kind of nonsense I read on GAF and Steam about this title.

I'm conflicted on Gone Home. The method of story telling was fantastic. By the end I was pretty disappointed in the actual story, but was still glad I played. Also I filled their fridge with trash and the microwave with phones A+

syoaran

LA Noire was a game that I felt was much better than the reviews made it out to be.

Look & feel was great. I did feel like the game tried to do too much [and as a result did a lot of things poorly], but for the time I played I was very entertained.

FFVIII was one of my favorite final fantasys, despite the draw system.

This was a game that was heavily criticized long after it's release, but these criticisms bury one of the best JRPGs ever made.

Simcity [PC].

Ok, I hated the fact that the game was so hollow - but the first month I really enjoyed the game.

Mihalis0013

Neo Member
Too Human & Titanfall [heavily criticized on GAF anyway]

+1

Too Human had some really fun combat once you got the hang of it.

Also enjoy Titanfall a lot. I think had it been available on PlayStation 4 there would have been very little hate. It just became the easy target against "Team Xbots" because of all the hype.

Mihalis

Dremark

Banned
+1

Too Human had some really fun combat once you got the hang of it.

Also enjoy Titanfall a lot. I think had it been available on PlayStation 4 there would have been very little hate. It just became the easy target against "Team Xbots" because of all the hype.

I think that's definitely part of it but think the level of prerelease hype is a big part of the backlash as well.

HansMaulwurf

Neo Member
Kane&Lynch Series: The Thread ^^

I think the worst thing that K&L1 did, was getting Gerstmann fired for his bad review. And yes, I think that Gerstmann did this game a disservice with his review, but don't think that he should have been fired for it. After Gerstmann was fired, the K&L-series lost every chance to get critical acclaim and has been equally threaded by gamers. I'm not saying that that K&L games are AAA masterpieces (especially not the first one), but they were not as bad as people made them out to be. The second one was especially great and wouldn't it not be for SplinterCell:ChaosTheory, it would be my personal BEST COOP game ever.

Also alot of games mentioned in this thread I also greatly enjoyed while the general consensus was that they sucked: SkywardSword would be a recent one. Just goes to show how good "bad" games can be given the chance.

deadflower81

Neo Member
hmmm...

probably Metroid Other M.

I tried to understand the criticism but without success.
Graphic, gameplay, story... I've really enjoyed it.

Probably not a masterpiece but it doesn't deserve all the bad reviews and criticism i've read.

It's just different from a 2D Metroid or Prime.

cuilan

Final Fantasy 2 - I liked the semi-openworld design
Halo 4 - the multiplayer is really fun
Deathsmiles 2 - much more fun to play for score than the first game was
Zelda 2 - loved the combat+leveling+semi-openworld
Space Giraffe - the scoring system really clicked with me
Syndicate - I enjoyed both the single player and the co-op
Condemned 2 - a better "game" than the first one, and the multiplayer was fun
Soul Sacrifice - my favorite MH clone, and I prefer it over actual MH
Eternal Sonata - great battle system, great music, great graphics/art-direction, and interesting story
Senko no Ronde Rev.X - one of my favorite versus games ever
Star Ocean 4 - very good battle system, nice music, and nice graphics

Experien

hmmm...

probably Metroid Other M.

I tried to understand the criticism but without success.
Graphic, gameplay, story... I've really enjoyed it.

Probably not a masterpiece but it doesn't deserve all the bad reviews and criticism i've read.

It's just different from a 2D Metroid or Prime.

It is great! One of the best Metroid games (especially if you really grasp what they did with the controls, you feel so awesome). I never saw the issue with a woman following the orders of someone she grew up following orders of.

JZA

Bioshock 2 seemed to be reviewed decently well, and I thought the multiplayer was one of the coolest parts of the game. It randomly lets people grab a Big Daddy pickup and go rampaging around the map, what's not to like about that? That plus the strange and offbeat setting, turret mechanics, weird plasmids and environmental hazards, all made the game a really cool but quirky FPS. I wish they had brought that back as maybe a separate franchise in itself, maybe for a digital-only game.

Top Bottom