• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heavy Rain new stuff (pic & ^r

wouwie

Loved the trailer. Something is telling me i will seriously love the experience/atmosphere/story/visuals/different camera angles... while simultanously cursing it for other things (quicktime events, control). Still, a must buy. Soundtrack sounded amazing too.

Vard

It's certainly ambitious and something worth keeping on the radar. I really hope it delivers because I like what they're going for.

Morue

Still not convinced... Story seems interesting but the characters look incredibly inexpressive. That's a shame... Love the music of the trailer though...

Some of those shots evoke memories of the better parts of Fahrenheit.

Trailer's looking good, but I think there's a chance of it turning out a bit too theatrical for it to truly reach their ambitious goals. I'm sure it'll be more emotionally involving than most other games, but I'm unconvinced by its ability to remain wholly convincing. Be it the animations, acting or writing that faults.

Fahrenheit never really had this problem as it was batshit insane. But regardless, I'm really looking forward to this game. I'm skeptical about their ambitions, but I have no doubt I'll enjoy playing through it. There are things Fahrenheit did well, and I expect more of that here.

Speedymanic said:
HD Trailer is up.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gc-09-heavy-rain/54362

Looks good, not too sure about the characters. Would have preferred it if they had created the entire game around Madison and her looking for the serial killer.
But different point of views (or is it points of view?) is sweet and intersecting storylines is the shit.

Cop dude is the cop, father guy's family got dead because of the killer or some such, journalist girl I believe is a journalist and hooks up with father guy in search for great justice, and then there's the fourth dude, a serial killer with multiple personalities(?). Maybe the big twist is he's actually all the other characters and then at the end the kid was the murderer all along.

People like the music, huh.
I thought it ruined an otherwise decent trailer.
I think some vocal jazz would have done that trailer wonders.

Alex

Polished up adventure game is automatic interest. Looked really good, voice acting was pretty flat though.

I swear to jesus/allah/whoever you all better try and spread the word on this game. Shit like this doesn't deserve to not sell that well because it isn't a shooter or some random generic game.

Good lord I can't wait.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty cheesy trailer, bros.
ilikeme is right, game looks awkward as hell. When almost your entire game is fully voiced cutscenes, you'd better hope they're damn good.

NeoUltima

Alec Baldwin?
18.jpg

Yasae

Banned
Johann said:
From what we've seen so far, I don't think the voice actors are the problem so much as matching the tone and context of the scene. But then again, aren't the actors motion captured while speaking? It could be just a poor voice director or translation barriers. This is rather surprising with how Fahrenheit's voice acting always fit the scene.
Pretty much. The VO here is textbook milquetoast for no reason whatsoever.

If I had the track masters and could mute the VO, I'd do a dub. Oh well.

jonnyp

The lighting and texturing is great but I can't get over the cheesy dialogue, bad delivery from the actors and the facial animations. These things are what this game should've gotten right really IMHO.

Zen

Banned
Some bits look a little awkward but overall I'm pretty interested in this game. The fact that it won't be delving into the supernatural is a big plus for me since that was what really helped to sink Indigo.

EDIT: and say what you will, but the shot at 1:33 seconds is amazing.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
I liked the theme of the Trailer, this game keeps getting better in my eyes every time it's shown.

lol @ people bashing the music. this is highly reminiscent of clint mansell and he does the best orchestral music you can ever find anywhere

Cartman86

Banned
Still really excited for this game. Just the concept of attempting to tell a story about a fathers love for his son is amazingly awesome. Though I don't know about the acting. The voice acting doesn't sound right, and the character's look like when they emote I won't be very into it. Like with MGS3 (and other games) I'll be able to overlook it enough, but it will be in spite of. It would be nice if we got the acting (voice and animation) quality of Uncharted in this game. I might even have to look away to get the full affect. But it's a step in the direction I would like to see some games go.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
PowderedToast said:
The trailer is just further proof of how terrible videogames are in regards to subtlety. It's both embarassing and disappointing.
I would direct you towards Last Guardian and the last two Uncharted 2 trailers, but you can look them up on your own if you care.

This trailer is perhaps the proof that this game might have that problem though. I keep thinking that Fahrenheit had better voice acting. Maybe they will sound better in the context of actual scenes, rather than the trailer voiceover, I don't know. It's the only thing that worries me about this game, which is weird considering how Fahrenheit got that right for the most part.

Kydd BlaZe

Dark FaZe said:
"Everything I did...I did for love"

:lol

Really?

I admire what these guys are trying to do, but the execution is just bad. I'm still looking forward to the game but the voice acting is awful, and the trailer itself just wasn't good. Once again the premise is excellent, and this is probably the first character I've felt a connection to, but this game continues to fail for me.
I agree with the voice acting :lol

Still though. The story presented here looks very engaging. Quantic Dream has always had a way of pulling me into their stories, and this looks to be no different. I thought the trailer was well done. My anticipation levels for this game are definitely rising. One of my most anticipated games of 2010.

KZObsessed

The trailer does pour it on a bit thick, but I still thought it was amazing. The last footage, the garage scene, was really disappointing for me, but this has got me really hyped again.

Parham

Banned
Hopefully the quality of the voice acting and writing in the trailer isn't indicative of the final product. Based on what I've played of Indigo Prophecy, I know they can do much better than this.

Pleeeeeease let them nail the framerate. Please.

It's looking more stable than the last trailer but still needs some tightening on level 3.

KillJade

Banned
I am constantly impressed with how many extremely detailed characters this engine can render on-screen at one time. It's really impressive.

mavs

Too bad they tried to make a trailer for a movie. It didn't work. I also hope none of that music ends up in the game.

Trevelyan

Banned
mavs said:
Too bad they tried to make a trailer for a movie. It didn't work. I also hope none of that music ends up in the game.

You have no soul. Ambient music like that is perfect for a game like this. Captures the mood perfectly. Would you have preferred hard rock?

mavs

Trevelyan said:
You have no soul. Ambient music like that is perfect for a game like this. Captures the mood perfectly. Would you have preferred hard rock?

That's ambient? It's cliched Hollywood man against the world orchestral. It fit the trailer perfectly, because even with your eyes closed you can see the grizzled unshaven man driving a car at dangerously high speeds and being hurled around by explosions.

It doesn't go very well with the gameplay they have showed, and I hope it won't with the rest of the story.

Ploid 3.0

Man this game seem like it's going to be an epic roller coaster. I can't wait to play it through the first time. I will accept all mistakes on my first run. No restarting if I screw something up, if that's even possible. If not, cool anyway, will make things more tense.

I'm more interested in my decisions and failures effecting the path of the story than having total control of the character like in a shooter game. I played the cafe scene a lot of times in IP trying to see different ways I could do things, if it's deeper than that this will be right up my alley. I've got caught, went out the back door, etc in the cafe. I left huge clues, and such too. That was such a fun segment. Especially being the cop that search for said clues. It was a new experience for me. I thought, "I know exactly where things are, why would they have me playing the cops now." but it worked out great in the end. I learned more about why the character was there, and what was going on. Different angles like that give more life to the story.

Raistlin

Holy hell ... the trailer delivers 0_0.

The street with all the people in it made my jaw hit the fucking floor.

BTW - in motion at least, I think he actually looks quite a bit like Russell Crowe (well, back from his younger, thinner days).

AniHawk

acting and animation are both pretty stiff. Disappointing.

Instead of making it into a generic action game, I'd make a trailer showing just one scene and the different choices that can be made. I'd show off just why this is different from other games.

Ploid 3.0

Yea, you don't see many scenes like that in games. Which is why adventure games like this need to start showing up more often. Everything is about one guy trying to save the world in a wasteland with guns these days. I thought GTA4 would feel like that due to it's first trailer but somehow it felt empty. Maybe because you couldn't interact with them other than punching/killing. Maybe this game will feel the same due to that.

Top Bottom