• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heist [Mafia] |OT| Snakes on a Train

roytheone

Took you long enough to fix that img tag. GOAT scum, indeed

Fuck you ourob, you don't mess with goats!

ff50PYi.gif

My thoughts about this game in no particular order:

- That CB modkill really fucked it up for Crimson. If we still would have been an odd number at LyLo we probably wouldn't have followed calmly (could still be a Gambit), but than hammered whoever you voted for in a coordinated strike at 3am or something. But as it was the risk that you are a Townie and simply Unvote once you have all three Scum with you was way, way too high. Maybe if we were desperate because Town was on us, but that wasn't the case...

- Related to the above point: Before this endgame I never realized that LyLo (as opposed to MyLo) meant you can't vote at all without risking an immediate Scumhammer. This is imo a huge argument (and as far as I am concerned the only one) for Karkadorian math instead of simple majority.

- I don't know what the reason for the low activity was. I had the feeling Town just had given up mid D3. At some points I wanted to post something because I noticed "scummy" things but why step up if you can make 2 post per day phase and still be above your normal posting rate relative to the average of all players. Heck D4 basically was a Scum + Crimson show.

- I don't think the setup was particulary unbalanced. If Town wouldn't have spent three dayphases with an issue only Townies were involved in, you actually might have had something to work with. As it stands it would have been really difficult because Ouro and even Splinter had afaik barely any ties to me. As for Scum chat: We didn't really strategize a lot other than Ouro saying "Bus me as soon as beneficial" and coordinating the turbo. In most other points we were in agreement from the get go I think. Maybe the Crimson thing would have gone different, but I came to the conclusion that he's a Townie wanting to lure out scum independently from Splinter and Ouro in the Scumchat, soo...

- I hate being scum. I get worked up a lot if I have the feeling I could fuck it up for my teammates to the point it affects my sleep. I don't have this problem as Town (they'll do okay without me) or Neutral (noone to pull down with me) but as Scum you can really fuck up your whole team with a few mistakes. At some point during D1 (when I was under pressure) I just thought "Fuck it, I don't have any ties to Ouro or Splinter yet, if I get lynched, I get lynched, noone cares" and was fine and afterwards the focus was somewhere else. But at least being a quite low activity player who mostly goes over logic helps playing consistently regardless of alignment.

- I learned a lot about playing scum after that clusterfuck that my minion performance in GAFia1 was. So at the later stages I think I gave a presentable performance, but would D1 have had big pressure on me or one of my teammates things might have looked different.

- I'm flattered many see me as MVP but I think it only looks this way because of the circumstances.

- Thanks to yeenz for hosting this (you did great), thanks to my scumbuddies for enabling my first victory in GAFia history and thanks to everyone else for playing :) It was an interesting experience, but I'm not sure if I want to do it again anytime soon. The "WTF?!" moments are just too exciting sometimes :D

Karu

Second game, lost again. Third times the charme, I guess!

Went through the spec-thread and... I see no problem with the game setup, it was certainly a different experience, but as a newbie it felt more engaging to me in comparison to Nightvale, because a.) I was no scum, but more importantly PR's couldn't take the wind out of one's arguments, it was a free for all. Would definitely participate again. Good

I am obviously still on the low end in regards to posts, but it felt okay. My goal for this game was to be more involved, but - and this will probably be a lesson for another game - I have to learn to build a case. With my current playstyle I won't be necessarily suspicious, which in general would be a good thing, but it also is way less fun. My "this might come off as defensive"-nonsense midgame was in a way a desperate plea to got on someone's list, heh.

So yeah, I personally had fun, again and I'm looking forward to S5. Now that I have an overview of at least a good portion of the playerbase and am getting the hang of posting more confidently/with more edge!! it can only go up from here. :D

> While the last hour-flipflops are stressful, they sure are entertaining. If there was only a way to skip that dreadful 2 day-silence, omg!
> Gooood, Royal was so Town. I made notes and all on people I was checking up on and all made sense! Well-crafted long posts inbetween can certainly be one's assets.
> Maybe i should have gone with my early D4-*Splinter vote. But flux got so angry :( :D Nah... I had Droplet as sure-as-sure town, so I suspected *Splinter. Oh well...
> I probably wouldn't have believed Crimson, like, ever. I didn't take notice of the distinction between PRs and factions outside of Town/Scum, definitely my bad. That I led the turbo... oh well... I quote myself "Be done with it" ;-)

Ty4on

*Splinter said:
(and his cheap shot did piss me off, fuck you Ty I'm trying bro)
Sorry...

I think my aggression and negative tone were my biggest mistakes in this game. It harmed morale and often failed in giving town good reads. An example is when I voted for squidyj because I wanted to read him and for town to keep an eye on him, but achieved neither.
Not that I should stop entirely, but not use it as an end all be all. In retrospect I should ironically have been more aggressive against Kawl to save him.

Like squidyj said I think we should have focused more on finding townies. Discussions had too much "you are scum" rather than "who is scum". My town reads also didn't come from defending players. Red's positive attitude seemed hard to fake as scum and through Sawneeks' #1029 post I could almost feel her frustrations from trying to make sense of things. Flux' aggression also stuck out too much and were mostly pro town.

1. Being more convincing. I need to formulate more arguments that are meant to influence others, and not simply instigate or be accusatory. This would also mean exploring alternatives, instead of trying to justify a fixed idea.

I thought about this a lot as well. Not just being more convincing, but also easier to read and understand. I botched many sentences, but even when the grammar was ok many were just confusing to read. An example is #520 where a hidden "me" inside the parenthesis was easy to miss and completely changed the meaning.

When I realized I could get voted out I also increased my activity. Not just to defend, but also to give town every read I had before I died. It seems reasonable, but nobody has the time to read ~100 posts made by a dead player when they have 10 people they need to read.
Similarly big, detailed reads lists look and feel good, but will fall to a lot of deaf ears. I have to admit that "ugh" was my first thought when I saw Flux' huge post attacking Crimson. I was leaning scum on Crimson, but not quite enough to feel comfortable voting for him.

-------

Balance wise it's hard to make good arguments with a very strong scum team and issues with low activity and a modkill, but I think the neutral might have messed things up a bit. The modkill meant it happened sooner, but without it after just four mislynches we end up with 3 v 3 v 1 where the neutral has little incentive to side with town and risk being killed at night.

"Just" is maybe stretching it. The chance of four town lynches in a row is just ~18% (~32% to make three) and the chance of missing the neutral four times in a row is ~70%. Random lynches anyone? :p

*Splinter

Sorry...

I think my aggression and negative tone were my biggest mistakes in this game. It harmed morale and often failed in giving town good reads.
Oh yeah, that

I think I overreacted to be honest, not sure why. It's cool though. I agree that negativity can be harmful to town though - some others did this too a bit.

Although my initial reaction wasn't fake, I was being a bit opportunist in highlighting this so much - but then it is my job to demotivate town :)

Ty4on

That apology looks too, apologetic. Damn you internet and your lack of subtly :p

Capitalizing on the negative mood did wonders. Not just in strengthening it, but also by being relatively calm and trying to lead what little discussion was left in D3 and D4.

I've only said it out loud in the spectator chat, but I'd sign up to something similar the next time and hope I rolled town. It really made me rethink how I read people and the tension was greater without any power roles stealing attention.

CzarTim

- Related to the above point: Before this endgame I never realized that LyLo (as opposed to MyLo) meant you can't vote at all without risking an immediate Scumhammer. This is imo a huge argument (and as far as I am concerned the only one) for Karkadorian math instead of simple majority.

LYLO is my favorite part of mafia because it completely changes the game. It is not a problem at all, it's just the GAF community needs to learn the proper protocol. Don't fucking vote until there is a conciseness. Scum hammering to victory is always hilarious (and them fucking it up is even more hilarious, eg woof 2).

cabot

Hello,

I would consider another game with a set-up to this, I just feel the timing was bad for me.

I was hoping Yeeny wouldn't start till after new year, and I think I would have stayed the course if that happened, but what can you do.

It could definitely help with tuning your scumhunting/basics.

Top Bottom