• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heist [Mafia] |OT| Snakes on a Train

I mean technically a 5 since it was closed. 1 would have been no neutral and the exact number of scum would have been known.

but crab's example for 5 was his first season's game so a spider was thrown off by this

but thank you for pointer, tim, ouro ! next time i will ask someone first before i self-proclaim audacious statements ^_______^

CzarTim

Thinking about it more, the Crab scale should probably be modified as it mixes bastard levels with closed / open. These two things are separate as you can technically have a bastard open game.

This was a 1 on a bastardness scale, but closed.

Kawl_USC

Hard game is hard. Also, fellow town people please stop making mafia kill me from the lack of suspicion.

It's nice to know I'm always killed for striking no one as a threat on either side, rather than it being a matter of skill.

Well played by scum, lots of town creating shady situations that was our own demise. Definitely think no PR mafia is a bit of a different beast. A scaling up of http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Matrix6 for 15 people might be a nice mid season game to contrast role madness while still providing some information and leads for town.

But overall, thanks for running Yenny.

Hard game is hard. Also, fellow town people please stop making mafia kill me from the lack of suspicion.

It's nice to know I'm always killed for striking no one as a threat on either side, rather than it being a matter of skill.

Well played by scum, lots of town creating shady situations that was our own demise. Definitely think no PR mafia is a bit of a different beast. A scaling up of http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Matrix6 for 15 people might be a nice mid season game to contrast role madness while still providing some information and leads for town.

awesome tip is awesome <3 thanks kawl !!

also ty for playing o7

*Splinter

Actually I thought you played pretty well. You were pretty unanimously read as town which is a threat to scum. I don't remember exactly how your reads where but that's always a bit of a crapshoot, especially in this setup.

Also, sorry Tim. :)

j9QiXUi.gif

*Splinter

Not a single person doubted I was town!
No wonder the scum were so afraid of you!

(Sorry)

That reminds me. The opportunity to kill a replacement, especially in this setup, felt legitimately unfair. Town get literally nothing from that, and they were starved of info already.

I don't know, I thought a days grace might be reasonable (at least in vanilla)

Ourobolus

Banned
So I had fun. I'm still not a great scum player, lol.

But town needs to amp up the pressure. If you think I'm suspicious, follow through with it. I could basically ignore you guys for the most part. Especially squidy, because he always thinks I'm scum. Something something broken clock something. <3

Also I was legitimately being dumb on D2. That wasn't a scheme or anything, heh.

Karu

So I had fun. I'm still not a great scum player, lol.

But town needs to amp up the pressure. If you think I'm suspicious, follow through with it. I could basically ignore you guys for the most part. Especially squidy, because he always thinks I'm scum. Something something broken clock something. <3

Also I was legitimately being dumb on D2. That wasn't a scheme or anything, heh.
Well... following through wasn't exactly our strong suit, right, heh. The amount of last hour-turn arounds was... *sigh* :D That every single one turned out to be town/neutral is only the icing on the cake, omg.

But even then, especially on the later days the first 2,3 days could basically be ignored so when it comes to the last day/hours there is little groundwork laid.

Ourobolus

Banned
Well I think one of the things we need to do in future seasons is just put the games on hold for the entire week for major holidays - thanksgiving, Xmas, New Years. Maybe finals weeks to for those still in school.

Also, Heist GOAT scum team. Screw you, Roy and Hyper. :p

Kawl_USC

I mean just lucking into one scum lynch would have been real helpful for town to analyze relationships and what not. Think scum still wins since they were careful in not establishing obvious ties, but 100% mislynches was especially tough on morale.

roytheone

Well I think one of the things we need to do in future seasons is just put the games on hold for the entire week for major holidays - thanksgiving, Xmas, New Years. Maybe finals weeks to for those still in school.

Did you guys had to deal with 10+ power roles that could spot you during the night? I think not. Maybe we can make you guys vice-GOAT scum team, maybe.

*Splinter

I forgot to say, but thanks Ynnny for running this!
I don't think having a neutral was bad either. It caught everyone off guard but that probably hurts the neutral more than anyone else. It was a nice surprise for the ending.

Ourobolus

Banned
I forgot to say, but thanks Ynnny for running this!
I don't think having a neutral was bad either. It caught everyone off guard but that probably hurts the neutral more than anyone else. It was a nice surprise for the ending.
Yeah, it wasn't bad, just unexpected considering everyone was expecting only town and scum.

FluxWaveZ

Wh.............

what.

Alright, I need to read through this. But my conviction Crimson was scum came from a place where I thought this game really was just town vs. scum from the game description. Had I actually taken the role claim seriously... Sorry Sawneeks, you were right; I should have considered that 5%.

Sorian

Banned
Wh.............

what.

Alright, I need to read through this. But my conviction Crimson was scum came from a place where I thought this game really was just town vs. scum from the game description. Had I actually taken the role claim seriously... Sorry Sawneeks, you were right; I should have considered that 5%.

Always expect the unexpected

FluxWaveZ

Thanks for running this, YNNNY. It was an interesting game, despite the frustrations. (Also, I don't have permission to access the spectator thread.)

Still kicking myself for being wrong for the right reasons. Wish we could have lynched Crimson earlier, in hindsight. Never really suspected Royal_Flush; that was pretty good.

Things I need to improve on:

1. Being more convincing. I need to formulate more arguments that are meant to influence others, and not simply instigate or be accusatory. This would also mean exploring alternatives, instead of trying to justify a fixed idea.

2. Be less narrow-minded. I'm generally open to different possibilities when I'm not fixated on a single one, but when I become convinced of something, it can be very hard for me to come off that idea. In my defense for this in this game, we had little to work with and we were backed into a corner, but I should have considered the neutral role more seriously.

Ourobolus

Banned
Thanks for running this, YNNNY. It was an interesting game, despite the frustrations. (Also, I don't have permission to access the spectator thread.)

Still kicking myself for being wrong for the right reasons. Wish we could have lynched Crimson earlier, in hindsight. Never really suspected Royal_Flush; that was pretty good.

Things I need to improve on:

1. Being more convincing. I need to formulate more arguments that are meant to influence others, and not simply instigate or be accusatory. This would also mean exploring alternatives, instead of trying to justify a fixed idea.

2. Be less narrow-minded. I'm generally open to different possibilities when I'm not fixated on a single one, but when I become convinced of something, it can be very hard for me to come off that idea. In my defense for this in this game, we had little to work with and we were backed into a corner, but I should have considered the neutral role more seriously.
Point #2 was basically the reason we kept you alive. You just had such confidence we had to keep you around. :)

But to be fair, the neutral role was a bit out of left-field, so I don't fault anyone for not taking it seriously here.

Palmer_v1

An idea if this style of game is ever run again. Only let scum communicate at night. I'm not sure how much of a difference it would have made here, but I think forcing scum to improvise on their own would help balance it.

Ourobolus

Banned
Reposting from scum thread:

Posting this for when squidy reads this thread:

squidyj said:
and while Ourobolus doesn't read the same way he did when he was obvious, obvious, scum in Animal Crossing I also think he's played many games since than and has become a much better player

Squidy, that's the nicest thing you've ever said to me.

squidyj

I honestly think that this game is winnable for town as is and it doesn't really come down to being lucky.

what you have to accept is that as town the first 2-3 lynches are coming from a position where mafia has significantly more information than you do. They haven't put any information out there for you to analyze and they're likely going to be able to push away random chance onto other townies. MAYBE you get lucky and get a scum in those first few lynches but you're not really supposed to. You're supposed to be building an information base through discussion during the day and voting patterns that keeps the scum from hiding in later phases.

This means it's important to figure out who town is so you know you're not being led by mafia. I dislike the tendency of players in our games to rely on following and waiting for PR information when they could be generating real, actionable, information themselves. That sort of passive play never really does town any favours and allowed some of us to be lead into some votes that were honestly just bad ideas.

Sawneeks

Banned
Oh.

Congrats to the Scum Team, enjoy your blood money you filthy backstabbers.

Also thanks to yeeny for running the game! It was definitely a weird set up to play around with and it was not something I was used but it was an interesting experience. I do think that having it run over the Holidays did impact participation and that probably helped kill the motivation for a lot of people moving forward. This set up is also really tough for Town just because of the lack of info and having that mixed with Holiday vacations/family/distractions wasn't a great mix in the end.

I think another go at this type of set up would be fun but it would need a few tweaks here and there to fully balance things out. The Neutral awareness and some sort of boon for Town are the obvious ones and I think trying out a Scum team that could only talk at Night would be cool but that's all I can think of really.

squidyj

If you want to make it really interesting you make it so the scum thread is only for voting on a kill. Not even discussing the reasoning for the kill

Sawneeks

Banned
If there is one thing I learned in this game it's to trust my gut more and stop contradicting it. I gut read Ouro as Scum but didn't vote him out, gut read Redhood as Town but voted him out, and then my gut was telling me Crimson was a legit Neutral but that didn't make sense so I thought he was lying.

Next game I'm going full gut reads.

Spectators Thread here: http://gafia.boards.net/thread/138/next-train-arriving-boatload-deadbodies

Traitors Thread here: http://gafia.boards.net/thread/139/tunnel-warriors

Any comments? Don’t hold back! A spider can take punches!
(and die)

It says I don't have access. :(

Kawl_USC

I honestly think that this game is winnable for town as is and it doesn't really come down to being lucky.

what you have to accept is that as town the first 2-3 lynches are coming from a position where mafia has significantly more information than you do. They haven't put any information out there for you to analyze and they're likely going to be able to push away random chance onto other townies. MAYBE you get lucky and get a scum in those first few lynches but you're not really supposed to. You're supposed to be building an information base through discussion during the day and voting patterns that keeps the scum from hiding in later phases.

This means it's important to figure out who town is so you know you're not being led by mafia. I dislike the tendency of players in our games to rely on following and waiting for PR information when they could be generating real, actionable, information themselves. That sort of passive play never really does town any favours and allowed some of us to be lead into some votes that were honestly just bad ideas.

I agree something like this definitely requires a more active discussion and town speaking up, but this game mostly devolved into town v town (or neutral survivor) which muddied the waters. Which made it easy for mafia to kill for either limited info or someone they felt was pretty much being read all town.

From that link on the mafia scum website that matrix only adds a PR to mafia side when there is both doctor and cop or both a jailkeep and a 1 shot bullet proof. So 4 of the six set ups are just vanilla mafia with a NK versus one or two town PRs, and it still is slightly mafia favored in a set of 250+ games. So I agree that while a pure vanilla set up is not impossible, I think it's heavily favored for scum team.

Sorry to say Ouro

But GOAT team was GOAT team because we did so well against the odds

Also because we had the GOAT lineup, no offense to all other scum buddies

sorry guys!

i think i've fixed the spec thread and scum thread accesses now ;___;

it was super late my time last night when i unlocked them

tyty for the feedback

i agree 100% with flux, sawneeks and squiders. you guys were great, i really appreciated that you all participated and stuck with the rough ride. respectz <3

Top Bottom