• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade 2 | Review Thread

What Scores do you think Hellblade 2 will get?

• 50-59%

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • 60-69%

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 23 9.9%
  • 76-79%

Votes: 44 19.0%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 90 38.8%
  • 86-90%

Votes: 47 20.3%
  • 90-94%

Votes: 10 4.3%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 10 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

feynoob

Gold Member
What happened mate?:
He received orders from his overlord
eafa033ea52b82313503884f0b6fd345364f364c.jpeg

Zheph

No comments on the score.

A movie masquerading as a game is a bit too pretentiousness, this is purely a vanity project made for the select enthusiasts and critics. I had the same thoughts for Disco Elysium, Alan Wake & to some extent Death Stranding.

Don't get me wrong - I'm very much in support of niche, indie art pieces, flawed yet beautiful is what drives humanity forward but only if they are in a proper form.
With Disco Elysium? You lost me there mate

Shakka43

Love seeing my friend list light up with people playing Hellblade 2.

Surround yourself in life with people who have exceptional tastes :messenger_sunglasses:
Foamstars, Rise of the Ronin and that game with tits were all critical and commercial Flops. Missed hardware targets with downgrades forecast. Hope everything is OK at Sony.
LGlLAYW.png
R5n5q4a.png

Is 81 MC no longer a critical flop?

Sorcerer

Kind of feared what has happened did happen.
The story was resolved in the first game.

The second game seems now to try to want to make Senua a god-of-war action hero, with voices in her head. It really doesn't seem to make sense as the game will never have the fighting depth of something like God of War.
Seems like they are not even being true to the first game anymore.
Ninja Theory Should have left well enough alone and moved on to another game instead of years of development on this.
If they announce Hellblade 3 they will really be jumping the shark.
Maybe it will be a cart racing game with Senuas voices in her head.

Last edited:
And there he is with the predictable 10. As I said last week, they will all come out with the hyperbole . There is a reason people like this are given pre release codes. I wish more fellow Xbox fans would see through these sell outs. Onto that showcase hype next . All of them complicit in where Xbox is.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

And there he is with the predictable 10. As I said last week, they will all come out with the hyperbole . There is a reason people like this are given pre release codes. I wish more fellow Xbox fans would see through these sell outs. Onto that showcase hype next . All of them complicit in where Xbox is.

Come on. With all the best will in the world, if the game can only get to a five hour run time, with simplistic combat and puzzles, there is no way in hell the graphics alone can push it up to a 10/10. That's Elden Ring/BG3/ToTK territory.

This is shilling at its most extreme.

Apparently Microsoft's internal mock reviews had this in the 90s.

Assuming that's actually true, it kind of goes to the cult like nature and yes man like culture pervasive in Microsoft.

But I don't actually believe it is true. If they thought they had a hit on their hands, they would have championed as such. They didn't advertise this game at all. They priced it at 50 dollars. They knew what it was.

That it's even above an 80 right now is simply because of Xbox centered websites and some in the industry trying to bolster xbox a bit here. I'm not sure I've ever seen review scores go from 100 and 90s so quickly to sub 80s. There are barely any reviews in the 80s. Some games can be polarizing and this is the type of game that generally would be, but I can't help but think based on who scored this highly that it's largely due to inherent interests.

The hype train will move on to Avowed next and I feel bad for each of these studios because none of these games were probably greenlit as saviors of an entire platform. That's a lot of pressure to place on games that aren't 200+ million dollar games. Halo and Starfield were the only games Microsoft has built up with that amount of effort. Avowed and Indiana Jones aren't going to move the needle and they were never supposed to.

Come on. With all the best will in the world, if the game can only get to a five hour run time, with simplistic combat and puzzles, there is no way in hell the graphics alone can push it up to a 10/10. That's Elden Ring/BG3/ToTK territory.

This is shilling at its most extreme.

Yes, it’s coordinated. Why else would they give him and others pre release codes despite having no status on the critical consensus websites?

Xbox has been getting a lot of shit, they need people like this, they need the positivity regardless if it’s manufactured or not.

I knew, when the studio closures happened and the reactions, this would happen with this game. As a Xbox guy myself you notice who’s who and how they behave. It’s all sadly predictable.

They are a detriment to the good of the brand. I can’t stand them mate.

Just you watch , it will be the same for the June showcase. Anything remotely positive will be extremely lauded.

yazenov

I don't know if this was mentioned before, but imagine this game took 4 years to make, and it's only 5 hours long.

4 years = 48 months / 5 hours = 9.6 months

9.6 months per 1 hour of gameplay (insert movie jokes here) .

This game better be a financial hit or Ninja Theory is toast.

If it's barely interactive how it's not a terrible game? Because of graphics and audio? These things absolutely doesn't matter if there is no game in a "game".
You have a point but for some people gameplay isn't as important as the whole package.

Personally the game isn't for me and I won't be touching it. I prefer my games to actually have engaging gameplay. On a personal level for me it's terrible but I'm giving people that like it the benefit of the doubt.

FewRope

I don't know if this was mentioned before, but imagine this game took 4 years to make, and it's only 5 hours long.

The game is already big bomba on Steam, they are toast

FireFly

Every post about this seems to ignore the size of the development team.

I love Square Enix. Massive fan. As a result, I hold them to the standards of when I fell in love with their work. That's the bar. I'm not going to keep supporting them just to support them and I think that's where console wars kind of lead you. To support companies just to support them no matter whether the product is good.

It's really the antithesis of gaming.

FireFly

How small are they? Last I heard there are 80 people with MS's financial powers "war chest" backing them up. An 80-person team aint small, especially with that MS money.
80 people from mid 2021 onwards (full production) and seemingly 40 before that, so likely ~300 man years in total. For comparison, Alan Wake 2 was made by 130 people over 4 years, so 520 man years total, and Remedy consider themselves a "small" developer.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

Every post about this seems to ignore the size of the development team.
Last I heard it was around 200 people. That's not enough? And I don't even know why people are saying this game took 4 years to make as if they weren't making the game before they even revealed it.

On another note, games like Black Myth had a dev team of about 30 people.

Top Bottom