• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade 2 | Review Thread

What Scores do you think Hellblade 2 will get?

• 50-59%

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • 60-69%

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 23 9.9%
  • 76-79%

Votes: 44 19.0%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 90 38.8%
  • 86-90%

Votes: 47 20.3%
  • 90-94%

Votes: 10 4.3%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 10 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
There are critiques and critics. Calling out a game for being boring because the level graphics are not UE5 super nexct gen is desingenuous.

I bet Stellar Blade had a smaller team than Ninja Theory to make HB2. The more basic combo in Steller Blade has more work put into it by the team gameplay wise than the whole battle system on HB2.

Hellblade 2 was made with 80 people. I'll take that bet.

yazenov

80 people from mid 2021 onwards (full production) and seemingly 40 before that, so likely ~300 man years in total. For comparison, Alan Wake 2 was made by 130 people over 4 years, so 520 man years total, and Remedy consider themselves a "small" developer.

According to wiki, it's 120 people as of 2020. The size of the team must have increased due to ongoing projects. They are not small. No need for damage control.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

80 people from mid 2021 onwards (full production) and seemingly 40 before that, so likely ~300 man years in total. For comparison, Alan Wake 2 was made by 130 people over 4 years, so 520 man years total, and Remedy consider themselves a "small" developer.
And if that were the case... that is not small. Especially if it took them 4+ years. Let's not start throwing that around as to why the game is under 6hrs long. That was a design choice.

The only reason I am not shitting on this game, is because I am not paying $70 for it.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Qu2EPAV.jpeg

Noice Thats Nice GIF

Good scores to wake up to. Time to play this beauty today.

Loope

Looks gorgeous but also seems to lack a lot of gaming in, well, a game. At this point people should expect this, right?

Wasn't the first game something like that?

RoboFu

One of the green rats
You can easily see how having a bad product image affects people bias with the scores all over the place.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
From where do you guys get the 80 people number? link?

From the developers of the game.

edit oh .. oh no .. I just scanned the last 3 pages of the topic, I can't say I'm surprised 🫢

Last edited:

Lokaum D+

Looks gorgeous but also seems to lack a lot of gaming in, well, a game. At this point people should expect this, right?

Wasn't the first game something like that?
apparently this game is more shallow than the first one, first one had even more gameplay and puzzles some reviewers said.

JackMcGunns

keep in mind that the Xbox shill sites will average between 88-95.

fair, objective and trustworthy sites will need to engage the "Xbox tax" to bring down to reality those hyperinflated scores. Just saying... I don't want people crying about it.

Someone explain to this man how Metacritic works and how the same applies to Sony exclusives.

Hellblade Senua’s Sacrifice was a fine game, until it became Xbox exclusive, suddenly massive controversy. I would argue that since there are MORE PlayStation fans, there’s a higher chance for the score to get knocked down, not up.

FireFly

According to wiki, it's 120 people as of 2020. The size of the team must have increased due to ongoing projects. They are not small. No need for damage control.

Last I heard it was around 200 people. That's not enough? And I don't even know why people are saying this game took 4 years to make as if they weren't making the game before they even revealed it.

On another note, games like Black Myth had a dev team of about 30 people.
From April this year:

"The core team working on Hellblade 2 is around 80, a massive leap compared to the 20 or so who staffed the original game – but low by most AAA standards."

From 2020:

"Ninja Theory reveals that the development team for Senua's Saga: Hellblade 2 will be twice as big as the team that made the first game."

So I make that 40 as the starting team size.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Can we remove all of these weird review sites? And Xbox sites? The true number is hidden under.

They are from the auto opencritic generator

apparently this game is more shallow than the first one, first one had even more gameplay and puzzles some reviewers said.

I played the first one, presentation is incredible but felt the game was extremely linear and puzzle focused.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member

Fightincowboy says 3/5 - graphics and sound are great but the gameplay is non-existent.

> "very limited combat"
> "very limited puzzles"
> Puzzles are extremely basic
> entire thing is basically on rails
> no exploration
> no UI causes confusion at times because the game expects you to press a button but you don't know you're supposed to press the button because there's no UI so you stand around like an asshole
> literally says the gameplay is "non-existent" and "very lacking"

3/5

oxxh36d4z4u51.png

Kilau

Gold Member
Is all the "woke" being thrown around online just because of wahmen and mental health or is there something else?

GHG

Gold Member
This can’t be serious. Is this Xbox’s new approach to reviews?

It's just an evolution of the direction they were already headed in with the Redfall and Starfield reviews. They sent Gaz a review key for fuck sake and he's not a reviewer:

Poor guy sounds like he's being held at gunpoint throughout the whole thing.

Becoming increasingly insular by the day.

Zheph

> "very limited combat"
> "very limited puzzles"
> Puzzles are extremely basic
> entire thing is basically on rails
> no exploration
> no UI causes confusion at times because the game expects you to press a button but you don't know you're supposed to press the button because there's no UI so you stand around like an asshole
> literally says the gameplay is "non-existent" and "very lacking"

3/5

oxxh36d4z4u51.png
eb4073e575881c28e4f8402a741d82d4.gif

(this one for my french gaffers)

Last edited:

Dazraell

Come on. With all the best will in the world, if the game can only get to a five hour run time, with simplistic combat and puzzles, there is no way in hell the graphics alone can push it up to a 10/10. That's Elden Ring/BG3/ToTK territory.

This is shilling at its most extreme.

One review I watched mentioned that you can set automatic combat in the settings and skip all of the encounters by having them replaced with an animation. So yeah, it sounds like they simplified combat a lot

Someone explain to this man how Metacritic works and how the same applies to Sony exclusives.

Hellblade Senua’s Sacrifice was a fine game, until it became Xbox exclusive, suddenly massive controversy. I would argue that since there are MORE PlayStation fans, there’s a higher chance for the score to get knocked down, not up.
oh boy. we have a Starfield moment with this game.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I've played indie masterpieces with no budget at all. Sorry, but MS has given its budget to the wrong team and they probably expected the female version of God of War.

I think microsoft and anyone involved knew that with an 80 person team, this was going to be hellblade 2 and not God of War.

It's just an evolution of the direction they were already headed in with the Redfall and Starfield reviews. They sent Gaz a review key for fuck sake and he's not a reviewer:

Another phoney , just what the Xbox community needs.

Porticus

Who the fuck is this guy?

They really give keys to a guy that made a meme bs song?

Reactions: GHG
You can easily see how having a bad product image affects people bias with the scores all over the place.
Nah, it's just a very unique game. It has some of the best graphics, motion capture, and sound design of any game ever, but the level design and combat are linear and sparse. The game will immerse some people and completely bore others

Honestly, the low 80's was the worst I ever thought this game could review. Usually good leaker, NateTheDrake, had Microsoft internal reviews saying it was scoring in the "low 90's" earlier this year. IDK, just by reading reviews, it comes across as an incredibly safe sequel to a great "indie" game

Top Bottom