• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade 2 | Review Thread

What Scores do you think Hellblade 2 will get?

• 50-59%

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • 60-69%

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 23 9.9%
  • 76-79%

Votes: 44 19.0%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 90 38.8%
  • 86-90%

Votes: 47 20.3%
  • 90-94%

Votes: 10 4.3%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 10 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
No idea:

1B4cdcM.png

You Got Me Lol GIF by BrownSugarApp

You can't change your plane's pronouns?

Oh My God Wow GIF by The Roku Channel

maxresdefault.jpg

(this is an actual thumbnail of something, not made up lol)

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
2,073 now.
It'll go a bit higher by the end of the day, probably around 10k.

Yeah, peak time is usually between 1900 and 2000 UTC.

Lighting torches for 1 hour. Jfc. And I love these kind of games but this all so brainless.

Yeah.....doesn't sound great. First forty minutes just using the left thumbstick doesn't excite me either. I'll probably check it out just to see how it runs on my PC. Who knows? Maybe I'll be one of those who like it.

Last edited:

tommib

Yeah, peak time is usually between 1900 and 2000 UTC.

Yeah.....doesn't sound great. First forty minutes just using the left thumbstick doesn't excite me either. I'll probably check it out just to see how it runs on my PC
I absolutely loved stuff like Scorn but that actually has Myst-like puzzles and some of them were kind of tough.

This is too on rails. It’s a shame since it looks very expensive. I’ll for sure try it if they release it on PS5 because it looks very dark and that’s a win in my book.

Madflavor

It's interesting to me that games like A Plague Tale 1&2 are incredibly similar to Hellblade 2. They're both cinematic story driven games, walking simulators, great visuals, female protagonist, etc. The biggest differences is that A Plague Tale is twice the length, better puzzle design, and is far more creative with it's gameplay, emphasizing stealth. Yet all these games have almost identical MC scores.

Not even 2k peak players, what the fuck
I’m surprised it has that much. Everything about the game screams save money and try on gamepass.

Seriously, I haven’t been on pc gamepass in awhile but I imagine you can make a plate of few games and hb2 as a dessert.

Last edited:
I absolutely loved stuff like Scorn but that actually has Myst-like puzzles and some of them were kind of tough.

This is too on rails. It’s a shame since it looks very expensive. I’ll for sure try it if they release it on PS5 because it looks very dark and that’s a win in my book.

I actually loved Scorn, sure, the puzzles were idiotic and flow-stopping but the atmosphere, art-direction, sound production and story were just chef'skiss.jpg.

The game needed less stupid puzzles and more exploration but, I still enjoyed it for what it was, thing is, i played it through Gamepass and I wouldn't spend 40 bucks for it - and that's the problem with GP, that it creates this kind of mentality among its users (me included).

Same thing with HB2 - how many are actually going to spend 50 bucks for a one and done 6 hour game ?

NT80

I'll also throw this in here : Ninja Theory has a always been an absolutely mediocre company and the epitome of what's considered "movie games".
Heavenly sword was an uber-mediocre GOW wannabe riddled with terrible picture quality, tearing, aliasing and slowdowns with barely any real gameplay, Enslaved was even worse gameplay-wise (but more technically competent), Hellblade...was what it was, a nice, 6-7 hours linear "experience" with barely any gameplay in it, Bleeding edge was super mediocre and flopped hard and DmC, while being their best game, it managed to do so under the guidance of Capcom and still, it's one of the weaker DMC's.
No need to mention games like Fightback and Kung Fu chaos...

I never understood the hype behind this company and how they managed to stay alive all these years, it's the most mediocre company out of all mediocre companies out there - and this, has got nothing to do with MS or Xbox, they just don't have any real talent as devs and the only thing they can be praised of is that most of their "games" have some good tech behind them (motion capture/facial animations etc).

I'll be playing this but I'm not expecting absolutely anything besides being a nice-ish 6 hours distraction.
I've never been impressed with Ninja Theory either and can't understand the hype they get. I remember the Enslaved demo having the worst input lag of any game I've ever experienced. I was amazed they were employed by Capcom to make a DMC game. That turned out to be the only game in the series that was 30fps while still somehow looking worse than DMC4.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I don't really a have a horse in this race one way or the other, but looking at Steam players when the game's available on Game Pass with a £1 trial is kinda worthless. The conversation's larger than that.

FewRope

I've never been impressed with Ninja Theory either and can't understand the hype they get. I remember the Enslaved demo having the worst input lag of any game I've ever experienced. I was amazed they were employed by Capcom to make a DMC game. That turned out to be the only game in the series that was 30fps while still somehow looking worse than DMC4.
Enslaved is probably the only game in my entire life I had to drop because how ugly it was, it is hideous in a gen of hideous games (PS3)

Astray

It's interesting to me that games like A Plague Tale 1&2 are incredibly similar to Hellblade 2. They're both cinematic story driven games, walking simulators, great visuals, female protagonist, etc. The biggest differences is that A Plague Tale is twice the length, better puzzle design, and is far more creative with it's gameplay, emphasizing stealth. Yet all these games have almost identical MC scores.
Mattyp Mattyp actually made that comparison in his video, and it probably holds water for me tbh.

graywolf323

You know, it'd be pretty funny if it wasn't for the fact that some people are so transparent and predictable to the point of being actually sad.

Watch now how the same people that screamed "Sad dad of war", "The Soony 3rd person template LOL", "Usual 3rd person movie-games", "TLOU is a brick throwing simulator" and how Death Stranding was a "boring walking sim slog" are going to sing a 5-6 hours "press Up on the analogue stick for awesome" praises and what a masterpiece it is...

I know that brand zealots are trying to hang from whatever it's thrown to them and desperately need a "win" against the bad evil Sony empire but this is just sad, imagine giving this a 10/10, there's just no credibility with most of these "journalists" anymore.

I'll also throw this in here : Ninja Theory has a always been an absolutely mediocre company and the epitome of what's considered "movie games".
Heavenly sword was an uber-mediocre GOW wannabe riddled with terrible picture quality, tearing, aliasing and slowdowns with barely any real gameplay, Enslaved was even worse gameplay-wise (but more technically competent), Hellblade...was what it was, a nice, 6-7 hours linear "experience" with barely any gameplay in it, Bleeding edge was super mediocre and flopped hard and DmC, while being their best game, it managed to do so under the guidance of Capcom and still, it's one of the weaker DMC's.

I never understood the hype behind this company and how they managed to stay alive all these years, it's the most mediocre company out of all mediocre companies out there - and this, has got nothing to do with MS or Xbox, they just don't have any real talent as devs and the only thing they can be praised of is that most of their "games" have some good tech behind them (motion capture/facial animations etc).

I'll be playing this but I'm not expecting absolutely anything besides being a nice-ish 6 hours distraction.
they’re like a hydra too, even after one finally gets permabanned for the BS they post another 2 pop up

Varteras

Gold Member
Also...game barely cracks 5 hours and he, per his recording software, literally did not do anything but hold Up and slow walk forward for over 40 minutes.

In a 5 hour game. What in the fuck are devs like this thinking!?

Every time I skip randomly in a video like this I see slow walking.

It gets worse than the initial hour. Which can be forgiven if it's a ramp to better experiences in the other 4 hours of the game. Halfway through the game, you end up just walking and lighting fires for an hour, according to him. I stopped playing after the first hour because I had to leave. So I'm not at that point yet.

But yeah. The game seems to pad itself with walking and subpar puzzles. Cut those out, and you might have a 2 or 3 hour game for $50. Which includes very simplistic combat and voices that do less to add to the experience than the first game.

DaGwaphics

You know, it'd be pretty funny if it wasn't for the fact that some people are so transparent and predictable to the point of being actually sad.

Watch now how the same people that screamed "Sad dad of war", "The Soony 3rd person template LOL", "Usual 3rd person movie-games", "TLOU is a brick throwing simulator" and how Death Stranding was a "boring walking sim slog" are going to sing a 5-6 hours "press Up on the analogue stick for awesome" praises and what a masterpiece it is...

I know that brand zealots are trying to hang from whatever it's thrown to them and desperately need a "win" against the bad evil Sony empire but this is just sad, imagine giving this a 10/10, there's just no credibility with most of these "journalists" anymore.

Or, maybe, players are just trying to have a rational discussion about a game. A game that for some odd reason a certain set of users seem personally injured by. Not sure what the common thread on that could be about.

So far I'm not seeing any Xbox players here expecting this to be a life altering experience, in fact most have framed the game as an improved version of the first. Playstation players are the only ones that ever mention GoW in relation to this game.

GHG

Gold Member
Top Bottom