• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice |OT| The Mid-Tier, in Limbo

I own:

1) A crappy $20 pair of headphones.
2) A really good set of $400 stereo speakers.

Given that I'm not going to buy better headphones, which should I be using to play this game?

peakish

I own:

1) A crappy $20 pair of headphones.
2) A really good set of $400 stereo speakers.

Given that I'm not going to buy better headphones, which should I be using to play this game?
Try the intro with both options. My gut feeling is that headphones are going to be better even if the audio quality isn't great, just thanks to how the 3d audio impacts the game. There's some scenes that really use it in a way which stereo speakers won't be able to replicate.

Edit: To expand a bit, the intro is enough to make it clear whether you like the 3D effect or not. It'll be immediately apparent.

epmode

I feel like I'm running into a glitch here. Avoiding spoilers, I'm in an area with a lot of fire. My character collapsed and died as if she's on fire. ..except she wasn't. This has happened three times in a row now. Am I missing something?

I feel like I'm running into a glitch here. Avoiding spoilers, I'm in an area with a lot of fire. My character collapsed and died as if she's on fire. ..except she wasn't. This has happened three times in a row now. Am I missing something?
You have to
run and escape the fiery area in a certain amount of time or Senua dies of, what I assume is, smoke inhalation.

epmode

You have to
run and escape the fiery area in a certain amount of time or Senua dies of, what I assume is, smoke inhalation.

Yeah, but I thought I was already using the fastest route. I'll try again.

edit:
I apparently was going the right way. It's just a straight line, after all.

As it turns out, you're actually supposed to die there, since it leads to a boss battle. I was hesitating for a second or two to avoid the fire blast that appears at the doorway/gate and the slight delay was making Senua die a second or two before the scripted death. Yuck.

Wollan

This was a fantastic narrative experience. Much can be said about it but just make sure that you don't miss out if you like atmospheric rides. The artistry is totally unique and should be experienced. A very serious tale for adult audiences.
Game technically was great visually, some late game fights should have not nearly been so drawn out but the combat mechanics were intense and environmental puzzles are interesting enough for the ~eight hours it takes.

Will end up on my Goty list.

TitusTroy

as far as headphones...won't a decent 5.1 speaker set be just as good for this game?...I was listening to some YouTube streams and the surround audio seemed excellent with 5.1 speakers...really great placement of voices etc which felt like they were coming from all around you...

tuxfool

Banned
as far as headphones...won't a decent 5.1 speaker set be just as good for this game?...I was listening to some YouTube streams and the surround audio seemed excellent with 5.1 speakers...really great placement of voices etc which felt like they were coming from all around you...

Not really. Binaural Audio is mixed for 2 sound sources which are completely isolated from each other.

Using 5.1 channels involves upmixing which changes the nature of the sound. Sure it approximates it, but it will always be better on headphones.

Just finished this tonight on PS4 Pro, really incredible experience front to back. I did run into a couple of frustrating bugs, but nothing that hampered my enjoyment. I'm glad this game is so successful already, between dev's light Ninja Theory and the versatility of Unreal Engine 4 I'm hopeful we'll see more AA games that can do well.

Currently going through the dev diaries that I didn't watch before for worry of spoiling myself. Love how this game was documented from inception to release.

Finaika

You can watch YouTube in 5.1?

Disgraced

For days I've just wanted to say that this game really landed on me at a time where its message really resonated with and affected me. It's just the pick-me-up I needed right now. There are very few games that I've connected with in such a way. Fewer than I can count with my fingers, I'm pretty sure.

For days I've debated posting that because I'm obsessive, it feels silly, and it's a very personal thought.

//ARCANUM

For days I've just wanted to say that this game really landed on me at time where its message really resonated with and affected me. It's just the pick-me-up I needed right now. There are very few games that I've connected with in such a way. Fewer than I can count with my fingers, I'm pretty sure.

For days I've debated posting that because I'm obsessive, it feels silly, and it's a very personal thought.

Thanks for posting! The game resonated for me in a very similar sounding way. :)

For days I've just wanted to say that this game really landed on me at a time where its message really resonated with and affected me. It's just the pick-me-up I needed right now. There are very few games that I've connected with in such a way. Fewer than I can count with my fingers, I'm pretty sure.

That's what places like this are for man. Even if it feels small, it's nice to share ideas and feelings in discussion of media like this. Glad you dug the game, it really hit me in a unique way as well.

peakish

I was checking Ninja Theory's twitter and ran across an article on the game from Mental Health America. I'm happy to learn that professionals (unrelated to those who helped create it) seem pleased about how the game portrays mental illness of this kind. It's great that a decently high profile release takes an issue seriously instead of just using it as window dressing.

So, does Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice get it right? We think so. Here are our 5 main takeaways:

1. Video games transport you to a world like no other. [...]
  2. The developers do not attempt to ”fix" Senua's psychosis. [...]
  3. Vulnerability is not synonymous with a lack of strength. It is clear that Senua is struggling, but her strength comes from her determination to push through her crisis and survive.
  4. Though the game contains a fair bit of combat, Senua is never presented as a violent individual. This important characterization is backed by research that states that the majority of individuals with mental health conditions are not violent. In fact, people with severe mental illnesses are over 10 times more likely to be victims of violent crime than the general population.
  5. Senua's experience is never questioned or invalidated. [...] Whatever reality you are thrown into, it is Senua's reality and you must accept that in order to progress.
[...]

We were pleasantly surprised at not only the quality of the experience but the ways that it dispels commonly held beliefs about psychosis and those who live with it. The game also provides ample trigger warnings prior to the start of the game as well as a mental health resource hub before the game starts and after finishing.
http://www.mentalhealthamerica.net/blog/how-video-game-could-change-way-we-think-about-mental-health

Marvel

could never
Any of you let the darkness kill you at all just to see? I didn't think anything would happen staying in an area without my torch but yeah, resulting cutscene fucked me up.

Drewfonse

Although I am still enjoying the game, the last hour or so has been a slog. I'm close to the final area. It's just too dark and claustrophobic, the puzzles and enemies have long since lost their appeal for me. I understand that the area is thematically appropriate...it just isn't entertaining to play through.

Kind of looking forward to finishing it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Also, id argue that Melina Jeurgens gave the best performance in the history of video games. Curious if anyone has a counter to that.

I finished the game last night and am inclined to agree. There's a potent rawness and enthralling conviction to Jeurgens' performance that puts it above even the most memorable scenes in the likes of, say, Uncharted 4. It quickly grabs hold of you and doesn't let you go; every emotional strain is palpable and leaves an impact.

I sincerely hope media outlets and industry institutions don't suffer a bout of myopia come awards season and just dump the voice acting accolades at Naughty Dog's door. Jeurgens most definitely deserves all the praise she's received.

JaseC

Edge gave this game a 4. That's just... ridiculous, right?

I'd certainly say a 4 is too harsh overall, but the game is rather so-so mechanically. There are only a couple of mild twists to the puzzle formula and there's not enough nuance to the combat system or enemy variety for it to feel anything more than serviceable. Where you land on the 1-10 scale is going to depend greatly on the extent to which Senua's journey resonates with or otherwise affects you.

pakkit

Banned
Edge gave this game a 4. That's just... ridiculous, right?

Here's a snippet from Metacritic.

"Ultimately what was intended as a thoughtful depiction of a terrible mental illness has ended up casting it as something of an asset: a helpful superpower that can give you the strength to soldier on through the darkness, so long as you can put up with the odd breakdown here and there. That, we suspect, was not what Ninja Theory intended. It's certainly not what we had hoped for."

I'm not sure if that reading holds up, since
the darkness itself is caused by her illness.
But I am curious enough to want to read the whole review. I admit I had similar worries heading into the game. Videogame narrative tends to be a power fantasy, so tackling mental illness seems like a misfit for games in general. But I think Ninja Theory pulled it off pretty well.

Humdinger

I played Hellblade through a second time. I liked it much more the second time. I’ve never felt that I needed to play a game a second time, right after I completed it, just to appreciate it at another level. That’s very unique. Most game stories are quite straightforward and simple. The complicated ones usually aren’t worth an immediate replay to understand the intricacies better. This was an exception. I felt like it was complex and intriguing enough – as well as short enough – to warrant an immediate replay.

It was much more emotionally affecting, the second time around. The first time, I felt sort of detached from Senua, like I was watching a performance. The second time, I had a much greater sense of empathy and concern for her. It was still a reach, because it was psychotic experience, but it has universal elements, too.

On the second run, I understood her conflicts better, I understood her relationships better, and I understood the overall story better. So I could appreciate what was happening to her on a deeper level than I did the first time. I ended up liking and admiring her a lot. I was better at the combat, too, so that was more fun the second time through.

The main thing, though, was the puzzles. The first time through, the puzzles were ambiguous and frustrating, and they interrupted the flow of the story. The second time through, I breezed through them, and story flowed much better.

All in all, it was a much better experience the second time around. 8/10 on my first run; 9/10 on my second. Good messages; memorable character; unusual story. For a video game, it was very original and ambitious. Glad I took a chance on this.

By the way, I’m struck by the fact that all three of the games I’ve loved this year (Horizon, Yakuza, Hellblade) have all had similar characters. All of them were outcasts, rejected by the tribe; all of them had strong moral convictions (e.g., focus on truth or integrity); all of them were on difficult quests that involved more than just their own hide; all of them were likeable as people; and all of them were admirable in their courage, character, and tenacity. Aloy, Kiryu, Senua.

Harlequin

Also, id argue that Melina Jeurgens gave the best performance in the history of video games. Curious if anyone has a counter to that.

She handled the scenes in which Senua got really emotional incredibly well but there were definitely some lines here and there that fell kinda flat IMO (mostly the stuff that was voice-over only of which she didn't have a whole lot, anyway). So yeah, all in all it was a pretty great performance (especially for someone who isn't a trained actor) but it wasn't quite consistent enough to call it the "best performance in the history if video games" IMO.

Robiin

I have not seen a second of gamdplay from this, nor have anh idea of what it's about really. I heard something about mental illness on a podcast and became intrigued.

Should I get it? About how long is it and what's the price?

I'd really want to go in blind, just want to know if it's a game that should be played if you are interested in the theme and medium.

Finaika

She handled the scenes in which Senua got really emotional incredibly well but there were definitely some lines here and there that fell kinda flat IMO (mostly the stuff that was voice-over only of which she didn't have a whole lot, anyway). So yeah, all in all it was a pretty great performance (especially for someone who isn't a trained actor) but it wasn't quite consistent enough to call it the "best performance in the history if video games" IMO.

What other performances come close?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I have not seen a second of gamdplay from this, nor have anh idea of what it's about really. I heard something about mental illness on a podcast and became intrigued.

Should I get it? About how long is it and what's the price?

I'd really want to go in blind, just want to know if it's a game that should be played if you are interested in the theme and medium.
$30, ~6 - 8 hours, get it on Steam (can always get a refund if it's not your cup of tea 1 hour in).

*Splinter

This wasn't on my radar at all but sounds absolutely fascinating the more I hear about it.

My only concern is the runtime, is that 7-9 hour estimate accurate? Any lower and I'd have to wait for a sale.

JaseC

This wasn't on my radar at all but sounds absolutely fascinating the more I hear about it.

My only concern is the runtime, is that 7-9 hour estimate accurate? Any lower and I'd have to wait for a sale.

Yeah. I'd say it took me 7-8 all up (Steam says 5.6, but that's simply because I played the last chunk in Offline Mode).

*Splinter

Yeah. I'd say it took me 7-8 all up (Steam says 5.6, but that's simply because I played the last chunk in Offline Mode).
Thanks, I'll pick this up next time I need a new game.

Offtopic but I didn't realise howlongtobeat has so much info these days, this is actually a useful resource, thanks again.

I'm just loving this game, including the combat. Easily an 8.5/10 about 5 hours in. The only problem is the audio is so good, it tends to function as ASMR at times and lulls me to sleep. :lol

TitusTroy

is Senua's Sacrifice the first game (or one of the very few) to use that binaural (or whatever it's called) audio...that could be considered a monumental achievement by itself...the audio experience is like going from stereo to Dolby Atmos...anyone have a list of games that use that type of audio?...why don't more developers use it?

no one knows?

patapuf

I think i'm halfway through (4 hours in) and i have mixed feelings.

I really like the art, the Nordic theme, i think the characters and their stories are well presented but i'm not super invested in their individual stories. Using what seems to be FMV for some of the cutscenes is a great idea, and Senuas model is really expressive.

Mechanically the budget constraints become obvious though. Puzzle design especially is very samey, and i'd have hoped for a bit more variety/different mechanics. Combat is ok.

no one knows?

The only thing that comes to mind is how positional audio is used in some more simulation oriented shooters, but that's probably not what you are looking for. PUBG for example, is really hard to play without headphones.

I completed it and loved it but the combat was really grating on me by the end of the game because I just wanted more story not the same bad guy for like the 30th time.

Harlequin

What other performances come close?

My memory tends to be pretty bad so I'm not sure if I necessarily remember the performances from some of these games all that well (hell, I can't even remember Melina's Hellblade performance all that well and I played that less than two weeks ago). But off the top of my head, I'd guess that some of these would probably make my list (though some of them may not as I could be misremembering them):
-Joel, Ellie (The Last of Us)
-Nariko, Kai, Bohan (Heavenly Sword)
-Prince, Elika (Prince of Persia 2008)
-The two main characters whose names I can't remember (Firewatch)

And then I'm sure that there've been some amazing performances in games I've never played, too. Her Story was supposedly quite good in that department but I haven't gotten around to playing that yet, for example.

Nasbin

Damn, this game is a great excuse to invest in a good pair of headphones. Ninja Theory's audio-visual presentation is really on another level.

Ovech-King

Gold Member
easy combats but pretty trippy game I like it .... and Unreal 4 is a win

20988266_1425953874157534_7820546136741013560_o.jpg

20989106_1425953614157560_4256451702159065704_o.jpg

ymgve

Awesome game, but the subtitles are some of the worst I've seen in a game. Inconsistent with what's being said over audio, grammar errors etc.

pakkit

Banned
The subtitles were consistently different enough from what was being said that I started to wonder if it was an intentional move, i.e. another voice of the Furies.

gunstarhero

Started this last night - with my PS4 Gold Headphones.

Forgot to check the headphone app if there is a specific sound profile for this game.

If not, any recommendations?

Top Bottom