• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice |OT| The Mid-Tier, in Limbo

Humdinger

Started a second playthrough. It's going faster this time. Now that I know all the puzzles, I don't get hung up on them and annoyed. I'm a bit better at the combat. The pace of the game is much quicker. The biggest difference is that I have a better grasp of what's going on, so things make more sense to me now. I'm picking up on things I didn't pick up on the first time, and things gel in a way they didn't before.

Speely

Banned
Didn't read the thread for fear of spoilers, and I am only like 20 minutes in.

Holy shit. This is quite a fucking experience. I've never felt like this when playing a game. I don't really know how to articulate it just yet, but... wow.

Edit: Can I take a moment to gush over Senua's visual design? She is very striking and human to me. I don't see that combo often. 50 mins in now. Game is tight.

Orpheum

finished it yesterday. Don't really know what to think... One the one hand, the sound design is superb, just fantastic. Combat is fun however without much difficulty even on hard, enemy spawns especially late game are sometimes infuriating though.

Enemy design and variety are both lackluster in my opinion, it really could have benefitted from more types of enemies.

The puzzles are slow and annoying, didn't like them a single bit. They were okay the first time but after that quickly became a chore for me, Senuas slow movement didn't help.

Speaking of Senua...the voice acting in general is amazing and Melina Juergens did a phenomenal job with acting. mad props to her since she's normally the video editor and was a stand in at first so the team could perfect the mo-cap process.

The Story and the concept of mental illness were great and executed well enough, will play through it again to fully get a grasp of what's happening (after knowing all the puzzles and fights, it should be 3-4 hours max. The first playthrough took me around 7 hours and that's okay for 30€)

So yeah, interesting Story and character, held back by gameplay mechanics. It's not bad but it's not amazing either.

ISee

Okay GAF, what am I supposed to do here?
-I tried to follow the screaming...
- I tried to follow the painted shield
- I search the room for clues, but I am apparently to stupid to find them

Picture

edit: forget it. I got it. *sigh*

Veelk

Banned
Okay GAF, what am I supposed to do here?
-I tried to follow the screaming...
- I tried to follow the painted shield
- I search the room for clues, but I am apparently to stupid to find them

Picture

edit: forget it. I got it. *sigh*
I never actually figured out that puzzle. I just went toward the dark room (my intention was to light everything first and then figure mu way out). But then I just stumbled onto the correct room, so there I was.

Trumpets

Just finished this. Even though I didn't entirely understand the ending I still thought it was fantastic, much more satisfying than the way games wrap up usually. The audio visual presentation was amazing throughout; how it blended Senhua's memories, hallucinations and voices together to give some tiny idea of what it must be like to lose your mind.

Not the greatest game from a gameplay perspective, but what an experience. Bravo.

ISee

I never actually figured out that puzzle. I just went toward the dark room (my intention was to light everything first and then figure mu way out). But then I just stumbled onto the correct room, so there I was.

It's not really a puzzle where much thinking is needed. You just have to figure it out like a combination lock. Go into way 1, if that doesn't work go into way 2, if that doesn't work go one back and try the way you didn't venture in before (repeat for 15-20 minutes). The shields can give you a clue which way not to go (if they are the same take the other way, I believe).

Or maybe that's just the way I did it and there is a clever way to figure out the correct way. If that's the case I'm stupid. Just ignore my post in this case.

One of the next puzzles was much more fun though, especial visually. The really try to change stuff up a bit. I don't know how far I'm into the game, but so far this is a solid 8.5 for me.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I'm kinda interested in this. What type of game is it? A hack n slash like God of War/Heavenly Sword?
It's very similar to Heavenly Sword but better.

It's a linear game that has you going down one path that switches between puzzles and arena style combat. Combat is limited to just 1 form instead of the 3 in HS, but it feels tighter than what was in HS and there's also less of it so the story feels a bit better paced.

TitusTroy

this game is getting way more buzz then Observer (different but similar type of game made by smaller indie studio with a $29.99 price)...

//ARCANUM

I just completed the game. I posted my thoughts on twitter which I'll also post here.

I just completed HELLBLADE: SENUA'S SACRIFICE. It's a complete masterpiece. One of, if not THE, finest games I've ever played.

It pushes the art form to a place I couldn't even imagine. Made me feel and experience things I didn't know I could feel.

It's a singular vision, perfectly executed from start to finish. This game will be with me for a long, long time.

It might sound strange, but I feel like it actually took mental strength to push forward to the end.

I cannot recommend this game enough. It is the peak of the art form. A true masterpiece.

Also, the game recommends playing with headphones. IMO this is a full on requirement to get the full experience.

Do yourself a favor and get HELLBLADE. You won't regret it.

And on a macro level, this is the type of game I've been wanting to happen for years. A small, contained, straightforward experience with AAA production quality but no filler, no fat, no multiplayer, no DLC. Just a perfect game.

AND ITS ONLY THIRTY U.S. AMERICAN DOLLARS

I'm grateful for HELLBLADE: SENUA'S SACRIFICE. It is a monumental achievement in the history of video games.

maxresdefault.jpg

I just completed HELLBLADE: SENUA'S SACRIFICE. It's a complete masterpiece. One of, if not THE, finest games I've ever played. [...]

It pushes the art form to a place I couldn't even imagine.[...]

It's a singular vision, perfectly executed from start to finish. [...]It is the peak of the art form. A true masterpiece.

[...]

HELLBLADE: SENUA'S SACRIFICE. It is a monumental achievement in the history of video games.

[...]

lol :-D Lets see if you still believe this after you chill a bit and some time has passed

ISee

this game is getting way more buzz then Observer (different but similar type of game made by smaller indie studio with a $29.99 price)...

I watched some Gameplay before making a decision between Observer and Hellblade. The reason I went for Hellblade was very simple: I felt no desire to play another horror game with jump scares and hiding/running away from enemies. In other words I feel like I've played enough indie horror games in the last couple of years where I'm not able to fight back. But that's my personal opinion, I'm sure a lot of people enjoy Observer.

I have to say one thing that still pisses me of though: This one NeoGAF Thread
(There is no perma death in Hellblade)
ruined a lot of suspension and changed the way I'm experiencing the game.
I don't die a lot, but I died 3 times during the "run away from firedemon while searching for 3 runes" part and I felt nothing there. No excitement, no anger, no fear, no preassure. All I lost were 5 minutes of game time after failure and I couldn't care less about that.

WARNING IF YOU DON'T IMMEDIATELY KNOW WHAT HELLBLADE THREAD I'M TALKING ABOUT; DON'T UNCOVER THE SPOILERS: THEY WILL CHANGE HOW YOU FEEL ABOUT THE GAME

Best version on pc or ps4 pro? And how long does it take to beat it?

PC runs fine: A GTX 1060 / RX 580 will give you 1080p/60 (for 95% of the time) on high settings (most drops are during cut-scenes, so whatever).
PS4 Pro also runs fine. You can choose between dynamic 900p/60 mode and a higher resolution 30 fps mode there.

Go with the PC version if your PC is capable of running it.

Skux

I don't think I've ever played a game with such a strong commitment to tone and atmosphere.

The game just weighs down on you. It makes you anxious to play it, but desperate to carry on, the way the best horror games do.

Scoops312

Banned
The length of this game really helps. I've beaten it twice already and am thinking of going a third time just to see if I might have missed something else. Compared to this the only other AAA games I've beaten more than once this year were RE7, Injustice 2, and Crash Bandicoot which again can be beat in a relatively short time after you've figured everything out, and the last one was more of a test of endurance than it was enjoyment.

Anyway, to those that have beaten it; favorite parts?

Personally, while
the fight in Hel made me realize how much I was in love with this game, looking back, Senua meeting Dillion is a moment that's going to stick with me the longest.

The meadow theme just dug into my black heart:

//ARCANUM

It's not really a puzzle where much thinking is needed. You just have to figure it out like a combination lock. Go into way 1, if that doesn't work go into way 2, if that doesn't work go one back and try the way you didn't venture in before (repeat for 15-20 minutes). The shields can give you a clue which way not to go (if they are the same take the other way, I believe).

Or maybe that's just the way I did it and there is a clever way to figure out the correct way. If that's the case I'm stupid. Just ignore my post in this case.

One of the next puzzles was much more fun though, especial visually. The really try to change stuff up a bit. I don't know how far I'm into the game, but so far this is a solid 8.5 for me.

So strange about that puzzle. I just listened to the noises and followed them and that lead me right to it.

//ARCANUM

So now that I've beaten it, got a question:

Is it possible for it to delete your save under any circumstance? Or is that 100% just there to stress you out and make battles more intense?

Avallon

Light the torch. Go to the dark room. The lit rooms are rooms you have been to already (because you lit the torch).

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Man. Just finished it and finished watching the Feature video.

Holy shit. What. A. Ride.

I haven't been this stressed by any game before this. I couldn't bring myself to play it for more than 1 hour at a time.

Gastone

I'm grateful for HELLBLADE: SENUA'S SACRIFICE. It is a monumental achievement in the history of video games.

I did enjoy the game, but i personally wouldn't go as far as to label it as a monumental achievement. Does it try to represent something that is usually not found in videogames? Yes, it does, and it does it pretty good. Besides that, there is nothing new to the medium here. Beautiful graphics and fantastic sound design is not new to the medium. The gameplay is simple, and that goes for the combat as well. Simple, but fun.

I'd rather call it a successfull entry into representing mental health issues on a videogame platform, for a reasonable price. And the length of the game fits the narrative perfectly, as i think that if this would have been stretched to 18 hours or so, it might have gotten way too bloated for it's own good

TitusTroy

is Senua's Sacrifice the first game (or one of the very few) to use that binaural (or whatever it's called) audio...that could be considered a monumental achievement by itself...the audio experience is like going from stereo to Dolby Atmos...anyone have a list of games that use that type of audio?...why don't more developers use it?

MrS

Banned
I did enjoy the game, but i personally wouldn't go as far as to label it as a monumental achievement. Does it try to represent something that is usually not found in videogames? Yes, it does, and it does it pretty good. Besides that, there is nothing new to the medium here. Beautiful graphics and fantastic sound design is not new to the medium. The gameplay is simple, and that goes for the combat as well. Simple, but fun.

I'd rather call it a successfull entry into representing mental health issues on a videogame platform, for a reasonable price. And the length of the game fits the narrative perfectly, as i think that if this would have been stretched to 18 hours or so, it might have gotten way too bloated for it's own good
It's successful in that it depicts mental health issues and psychosis in ways that are relatable to those who don't suffer from mental illnesses. It's also successful in that it shows other devs that middle-market AA games (which NT calls Independent AAA) developed with a modest budget can be successful, critically and commercially. I can't think of many games that have released in 2017 that are as important as Hellblade. For Hellblade to come from such a small team is remarkable and I think you're downplaying its success a bit.

Glad it's performing so well on PSN. The game and the team deserve it.

hairygreenpeas

Neo Member
Been playing the game for the past few days, and oh my goddddd.

Coming into Hellblade, I only knew it was going to have something to do with Viking/Norse mythology and exploring the main character's mental illness (which I do recall praising the developers for as it is such an uncharted topic in video games). I had only seen the first trailer that was released for it last year, as well as a small gameplay preview, but absolutely nothing more. I guess I should've expected the game to be harrowing given the kind of story the developers are trying to tell with Senua, but I didn't think it was going to be this distressing for me lol. I internally cry at horror elements in video games, so I definitely had a bit of trouble pushing myself through scary situations; like that
one trial where Senua has to walk through the dark with only Gillian's voice to guide her
- fuckkkk that! My heart was racing throughout that entire section. Combat gameplay is absolutely sublime though, imo. I always find myself looking forward to kicking ass and taking names, even if I do end up getting a cramp around the thenar eminence area of my hand lol.

I also have to give major props to the sound design. It really sets the tone of game. I had initially started playing Hellblade without headphones, but the general audio and the voices still unnerved me. They have done such a marvelous and effective job in not only creeping me the hell out, but also in allowing me to connect in some way with Senua - which, in turn, has lead me to understand (even if just a bit!) the sort of suffering people with the same mental illness go through. I've yet to watch the Hellblade featurette, but I sure hope they show how the developers have chosen to approach the whole psychosis angle.

Bonus: Senua walks like a boss. What a badass.

Gilzor

Just finished the whole thing in one sitting. Really profound experience, couldn't tear myself from it at all. Special mention to the actual score too, especially the ending credits. I can consider myself a VNV Nation fan now.

nel e nel

Anyway, to those that have beaten it; favorite parts?

Mine was
the one sword fragment trial where you were "blind" and avoiding those monsters in the dark.
That ish gave me the willies, so tense.

Anyone watch the feature? That was a nice touch in addition to the dev diaries. Question about that, they kind of imply that Melina Juergen has dealt with mental health issues herself, was that ever mentioned in the lead up to release?

How do you deal with shield enemies ? I can't properly block parry them ?

I can't seem to attack them either ?

Only solution I found was using R2 magic spam

ISee

How do you deal with shield enemies ? I can't properly block parry them ?

I can't seem to attack them either ?

Only solution I found was using R2 magic spam

Sidestep to the left once they swing at you. Then press the melee (kick) button once. Now you can freely attack 2-3 times. Repeat. It's actually pretty easy.

Speely

Banned
Still playing through it (I have little time to dedicate to gaming these days, sadly) but the experience is so good. This game is something very special.

Perhaps I am biased as someone who has experienced psychotic breaks and had reality turned upside-down for me, though.

Aside from all that, the presentation beautiful, Senua is amazing, and the gameplay is fun. Hell, even though the combat mechanics are simple, they work well and feel good.

I. Love. This. Game.

//ARCANUM

It's successful in that it depicts mental health issues and psychosis in ways that are relatable to those who don't suffer from mental illnesses. It's also successful in that it shows other devs that middle-market AA games (which NT calls Independent AAA) developed with a modest budget can be successful, critically and commercially. I can't think of many games that have released in 2017 that are as important as Hellblade. For Hellblade to come from such a small team is remarkable and I think you're downplaying its success a bit.

Glad it's performing so well on PSN. The game and the team deserve it.

Was going to respond, but you captured a lot of what I had to say, and agree with.

Beyond that, for me personally, thematically / character / story / tone / music / etc wise, this just blew me away in a way no other game ever has.

Also, id argue that Melina Jeurgens gave the best performance in the history of video games. Curious if anyone has a counter to that.

Speely

Banned
Was going to respond, but you captured a lot of what I had to say, and agree with.

Beyond that, for me personally, thematically / character / story / tone / music / etc wise, this just blew me away in a way no other game ever has.

Also, id argue that Melina Jeurgens gave the best performance in the history of video games. Curious if anyone has a counter to that.

It's remarkable how well the game delivers the themes and the tone of the game to the player. I am constantly blown away by how much it draws me in and makes me feel 100% invested. I've never been "put into" a character this thoroughly. I think it's a magnum opus for Ninja Theory.

I hope it influences other devs.

Edit: more specifically, I care about Senua more than I have ever cared about a video game protag. I cried within 20 mins of playing it and it was because of her. NT are emotional wizards confirmed.

Jedi2016

Yeah, it's a contextual melee, so if you're close you punch or body slam, if you are running you do a kick.
She can do flying stab attacks, too. Found that out the other day.

I'm only about halfway through. I'm playing in bursts to make it last longer.. lol. And the game is intense. I almost can't take it for too long. I also plan to go through it again on a "Photo Mode Hunt", I actually have photo mode turned off for this first playthrough. And I'm still getting some pretty incredible screenshots.

Great news! I'm glad the game's as successful as it is. Still in the top five on Steam, too.

And, I have to say, I was wrong on my prediction in how the game would be received. I anticipated that it would get good reviews from the critics, but I thought the user reviews would be more mixed, since it's not really a straight-up action game like it seemed a lot of people wanted it to be. But I'm pleased that it's gotten near universal praise from the audience, too. It deserves it.

Drewfonse

As much as I'm enjoying the narrative, the puzzles and endless enemy spawning towards the back end of the game are sapping a little bit of the joy out of it for me.

Quick question: I just entered the
mountain, after retrieving the sword
, and I'm at a puzzle. The first one I've come across is a P, and I have found a wooden P right belbow a large metal shield/crest thing, but the game won't allow me to zoom in, so I guess it's not the right spot. Ps are dancing around, so I'm close.

Top Bottom