• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice |OT| The Mid-Tier, in Limbo

someone was streaming live, and i accidentally seen the ending...and too much of the game, was not impressed, ill be saving my money. NOW this is just my personal opinion, and some will love it, just not my cup of green tea.

Grisby

Bought and preloaded.

So there's permadeath? Seems like a weird fit today for an action narrative title unless you were trying to artificially extend your game. Ah well, be curious to see what the narrative reason is. Hopefully normal difficulty isn't too bad since I doubt I'll want to replay through the story right away if my progress gets erased.
I'm super ready for twing twang!
fzXEC.jpg

Ha, I actually thought this game might star Kai for short time when it was announced.

dakun

just watched the last dev diary. I'm going to buy this game just to support them. I loved Enslaved, so i trust them to give me an experience worth getting.

I'm just not sure whether to get it on PS4 or PC, so I'll wait for reviews. Hopefully a DF video.

Zojirushi

Wow this permadeath thing sounds like a real fucker. So if I die at the end of a six hour or so game I just get my save deleted? They can't be serious.

Themes sound interesting and hope it's done with some class. Gotta say the $30 price and under 10 hour playtime hits a sweet spot for me.

Aklamarth

Permadeath (and the game "cheating" to kill you) sounds kind of bad. But , hey, i finished the PC version Aladdin , how hard can this be ? :)

Harlequin

Wow this permadeath thing sound like a real fucker. So if I die at the end of a six hour or so game I just get my save deleted? They can't be serious.

Looks like you get more than one life so you'll have to die several times before actual permadeath occurs but yeah, it could happen.

I like the permadeath thing in theory, but if the review is to be believed then
the game doesn't always mesh with it well, creating confusing instances. You are supposed to be confused, that's the point, but the medium here is so interactive it's hard to split narrative interjections and gameplay

MrS

Banned
This is wild. Make sure you use headphones or a surround sound system! It's quite a looker too.

Early Spoiler:
That first fight and the following cutscene were so beautifully done. This is amazing.

Humdinger

I'm going on blackout. I'm already sold, so I don't need to see reviews. I don't want to hear others' impressions, because I want to form my own, based just on my direct experience.

Have fun, guys. I'll check back in when I'm finished.

Turkoop

Banned
Okay guys, played 2 hours and wanna say few things, spoilerfree of course.

Game *looks* fucking incredible on my PS4 Pro (non 4k tv), it runs really smooth. Animations are fantastic. Jesus those visuals are crazy. Senua's face is incredible.

World is fucking great designed, lots of interesting facts about the story and the world. Combat feels very good.

Yeah, totally happy about this. Can't wait to play more tomorrow.

ryuken-d

Ah! He could have at least hid the name a bit more.

Nope, only digital.

Via Ninja Theory:

I'm loving the mid/game idea. any dev that releases a game lower than 59.99 gets a high five from me. Going all the way to 29.99! that's pretty amazing. Unless this game is full shithouse, they should get support from everyone, maybe not a purchase but word of mouth and coverage...game journalism :)

Okay guys, played 2 hours and wanna say few things, spoilerfree of course.

Game *looks* fucking incredible on my PS4 Pro (non 4k tv), it runs really smooth. Animations are fantastic. Jesus those visuals are crazy. Senua's face is incredible.

World is fucking great designed, lots of interesting facts about the story and the world. Combat feels very good.

Yeah, totally happy about this. Can't wait to play more tomorrow.
This sounds awesome. The character model is the highlight of the game imo. Great tech they used.

Reedirect

Very early impressions - played for an hour and a bit.

Love it so far. Combat feels a lot better than in pre-release videos. Graphics and atmosphere are top-notch, they were not kidding with independent AAA, it looks and sounds like a full priced game. Some light, very easy puzzles. Senua's walk is super slow so be prepared to push that L1. It will be divisive for sure - has a heavy cinematic feel and it really pushes Senua's mental illness in the forefront, voices are practically constant and they're not exactly comforting.

Very excited for more.

Can someone who has played the PS4 version confirm if the binaural audio works with headphones plugged into the controller's 3.5mm port?

Gbraga

Can someone who has played the PS4 version confirm if the binaural audio works with headphones plugged into the controller's 3.5mm port?

No reason why it shouldn't. The trick is in the recording, any pair of headphones should be able to reproduce the 3D audio faithfully.

Maybe test it on the Youtube app of your PS4 or something. Watch a trailer, dev diary or some random binaural audio demo.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
OH MY FUCKING GOD i just saw that the GoG release opens in 22 hours for me, while steam opens in 6. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

Not that it changes anything, but Steam's countdown timer is an hour off and has been since ~last May: once "... in approximately 1 hour" comes to an end, it'll change to "... in a approximately less than an hour", at which point there'll actually be an hour remaining. Valve should just do away with the phrases in favour of an actual timer that ticks down. E.g. "This game will unlock in approximately 4 days, 5 hours, and 14 minutes".

sym30l1c

Played an hour or so on Hard just to give it a try (I plan to restart my playthrough tomorrow to play it without being in a rush).

There have been a few combat encounters. Combat seems rather simplistic at the moment and the encounters have been all very similar. But, it's just the beginning, so I'll reserve judgment.

As for the way it looks. I'm playing on PS4 Pro. You can select 30fps or 60fps. Game looks good on 30fps and runs smoothly. On 60fps it runs well but there is a significant downgrade in the graphics. Everything looks clearly much blurrier and less defined. So, I'm really not impressed by the way it looks at 60fps. If I have the choice I usually go for 60fps over 30fps (in Nioh, for example), but in this case I'm going with 30fps.

Momentary

Banned
Bought on Humble Bundle and no key yet :(

I think I'm just going to repurchase it on STEAM and request a refund through Humble they don't release a key at least 30 minutes before release.

XOMTOR

Bought and preloaded.

So there's permadeath? Seems like a weird fit today for an action narrative title unless you were trying to artificially extend your game. Ah well, be curious to see what the narrative reason is. Hopefully normal difficulty isn't too bad since I doubt I'll want to replay through the story right away if my progress gets erased.

fzXEC.jpg

Ha, I actually thought this game might star Kai for short time when it was announced.

The original Senua model looked a lot like an older Kai. Too bad they changed her. I mean, the new model is good too but I prefer the original one.

Wait this comes out tomorrow??? :eek:

Why do I feel like I've seen like 0 marketing for it.
It hasn't been shown at an E3 or anything for awhile unless it somehow kept flying under my radar.

MrS

Banned
What say you, GAF, worth a pre-load purchase? Or wait and see?
It's worth it. I have no regrets. Play it alone at night time with headphones for the best results. There's definitely some psychological horror going on and some of the symbols and enemies remind me a bit of True Detective season 1. In short, it's awesome.

RuhRo

It's worth it. I have no regrets. Play it alone at night time with headphones for the best results. There's definitely some psychological horror going on and some of the symbols and enemies remind me a bit of True Detective season 1. In short, it's awesome.

How's the quality of the writing?

Top Bottom