• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice |OT| The Mid-Tier, in Limbo

BiggNife

Anyone know when the review embargo is up? I'm guessing tomorrow morning? Looked on google but couldn't find anything.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This audio is incredible. It's actually stressing me out. Unique and adds so much to the actual experience of the game.

So, 60fps or resolution mode on the Pro?
I'm on a 1080p set so I'm playing at 60. It looks like some PS5 shit at that framerate. There are some stutters in cutscenes and when transitioning through areas but it's mostly stable. Definitely more of a 60fps mode than an unlocked framerate mode.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Played for a bit. So far, loving it. Looks amazing on the Pro at 4K, and sounds great with just the Gold Headphones.

Looking forward to playing more.

So I played about the first 40 mins or so. The audio and visual presentation is stellar, and the games atmosphere is just simply great.

I bought the game simply cause of the tech being used and also to support the idea of a mid range AAA game.

One thing I've realised is I can't imagine living with something like that, the way the voices all roll around, yelling and whispering, pushing and calling...its chilling.

rudds

Name 10 better posters this year
I'm only three hours deep but don't expect something Soma-level. It's good but I don't want to go too deep in to details and harm the story for you. I'm very impressed by how the sound, voice-acting/performances and visual effects are all working together to push the story forward in interesting ways. It's quite unique in that regard.

Soma was my favorite game story the year it came out and Hellblade is my favorite so far this year, for what it's worth (I finished the game a couple hours ago).

I guess I'm still under embargo even though the game is out (?), but it is wildly unique and I found it exceptionally moving in parts. I can't think of another game that's quite like it.

N° 2048

Spent an hour with the game and wow, the audio is fucking amazing. Combat is great and the perma-death system doesn't make me too nervous since I can backup saves.

So far really enjoying the atmosphere. Haven't played enough to be able to say too much but looking positive so far.

So I played about the first 40 mins or so. The audio and visual presentation is stellar, and the games atmosphere is just simply great.

I bought the game simply cause of the tech being used and also to support the idea of a mid range AAA game.

One thing I've realised is I can't imagine living with something like that, the way the voices all roll around, yelling and whispering, pushing and calling...its chilling.
That's the kind of stuff I wanted to hear. Sounds like they were successful in that aspect

KillLaCam

Banned
Should I be playing this with surrounding sound turned on my PS Gold headset?

Edit: the answer is no. Sound waaaay creepier with It off

mollipen

Especially after I started playing the game using headphones, the voices really do start to get to you and affect you on an emotional level.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Yea this is what I mean by the cinematography and acting in Hellblade being really good. In the acting in God of War there are a lot of long pretty awkward pauses. The same goes for MGSV. It feels less organic as a result and then there are moments when a physical camera couldn't have possibly followed the characters like when Kratos goes flying after being hit by that giant or when the camera perfectly followed the arrow in that the son accidentally shot Kratos with in the e3 demo. Hellblade from what i've seen, never wastes a moment with it's camera or breaks plausibility.

Soma was my favorite game story the year it came out and Hellblade is my favorite so far this year, for what it's worth (I finished the game a couple hours ago).

I guess I'm still under embargo even though the game is out (?), but it is wildly unique and I found it exceptionally moving in parts. I can't think of another game that's quite like it.
For comparisons sake, what other games have you played this year that had great stories?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This game is an audiovisual benchmark. Those elements add so much to the experience that even though the core game design feels rather basic, it's an experience that feels very active. I'm worn out and on edge just from the sound design in the area I was exploring. It's fascinating, unique stuff.

I've had my eye on this for a while and these impressions have me giddy. Gonna hold out for reviews and a few more impressions before I go in. Still may buy it regardless to show support for this sort of effort in today's game development environment.

Holy shit is it creepy with the headphones on. It's giving me chills and kind of unsettling, lol.

This game looks fkn amazing and will definitely be a showcase for the pro. This game is good so far!

Haven't really been following this, so the binaural audio design is a new thing to me.

This next question is crucially important and will determine how seriously I consider a purchase:

On a scale of 1 to 10, how many ASMRs is this game?

tuxfool

Banned
Haven't really been following this, so the binaural audio design is a new thing to me.

This next question is crucially important and will determine how seriously I consider a purchase:

If the point of an ASMR is to feel good (is it?), then 0.

Sounds very unique.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
If the point of an ASMR is to feel good (is it?), then 0.
Depends on if women taunting him is his trigger.

Knowing Net Wrecker's tastes I doubt he'll like this game. It's a super linear game, highly scripted game, with limited amounts of combat and some basic puzzles.

For people who like those sorts of games though, this is a very intriguing title.

Man, so glad I supported these guys and pre-ordered this. It's absolutely a different type of game, but there's just something about it.

Just watched a video and I can safely say this is the best mocap and animation all around that I have seen in a game. Like, holy crap.

And the atmospheric story telling, cinematography and binaural audio are brilliantly done. I didn't even want the video to stop even though I usually hate watching videos because I want to experience it myself.

I am actually a little depressed that I have to wait to get this now because we are trying to pinch pennies for a down payment for a house that we hope to move into by the end of this month... I know a house is more important but man I wish I could experience this with everyone right now.

On the plus side, perhaps if there are any bugs they will have them patched by the time I can afford it again.

Just watched a vid where Senua whispers at someone. You, the camera, assume that "someone's" view. So it's like she is whispering straight to you, in your face... it's intense. So definitely a 10 at the least. Not even to mention all the voices encircling you and whispering into your head...

Carlius

Banned
1 hour...wtf...tense with an incredible atmosphere. loving it. 4k 60fps a visual feast. love the combat too, but the audio is just outfuckingstanding

Wozman23

Put in an hour until my headset's battery was running low.

Really enjoying the onslaught of voices and the changes in direction and dynamics of the voices.

The world looks great, for Hell, and oozes atmosphere.

Senua's character model is amazing. I always like Ninja Theory's characters thanks to their execution of realistic eyes. The dreads and warpaint are cool too.

The combat has felt fine so far, and the environmental puzzles have been fun to seek out.

More importantly, everything so far is as unsettling and unnerving as I'd hoped.

If anyone not sleeping for the next 8 hours wants to make a review thread once they start coming in, knock yourself out. Otherwise I'll get to it in the (east coast US) morning.

Knowing Net Wrecker's tastes I doubt he'll like this game. It's a super linear game, highly scripted game, with limited amounts of combat and some basic puzzles.

For people who like those sorts of games though, this is a very intriguing title.

Nah mang, I'm down for hyper cinematic, hyper scripted linear games, I just don't like to be blindsided by them. If I know going in, it's fine. Not my preferred style of linear game, but I'm a complicated guy.

Plus this is only 30 dollars.

Just watched a vid where Senua whispers at someone. You, the camera, assume that "someone's" view. So it's like she is whispering straight to you, in your face... it's intense. So definitely a 10 at the least. Not even to mention all the voices encircling you and whispering into your head...

r2YUPah.png

Depends on if women taunting him is his trigger.

r2YUPah.png
r2YUPah.png
r2YUPah.png

Glad to hear, Brad!

platina

Nah mang, I'm down for hyper cinematic, hyper scripted linear games, I just don't like to be blindsided by them. If I know going in, it's fine. Not my preferred style of linear game, but I'm a complicated guy.

r2YUPah.png

r2YUPah.png
r2YUPah.png
r2YUPah.png
Lol!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

r2YUPah.png

r2YUPah.png
r2YUPah.png
r2YUPah.png

Go for it then. It's pretty cool.

It feels like a much more successful attempt at what The Order was trying to do and the sensory overload is like nothing else I've ever played.

I am so into the early impressions of this game! I feel like there is so much more riding on Hellblade's success than just the game itself. The future of an entire production model is kind of at stake here!

Just hope the pacing is better than U4. 😂

Just finished watching about an hour of gameplay. Looks great. Love the no HUD.

Oh man, was so lost trying to find the way to Valravn xD

Game's kinda making me nervous, but I don't mind it. Most different experience I've had in a long time playing games.

Looking forward to more tomorrow when I'm properly rested. :)

Stiler

I hope they didn't focus the audio solely on headphone users and ignore people with home theaters.

Atmos would be great at using the 3d audio if you don't have headphones since it accomplishes that aspect as well.

robotrock

Banned
I hope they didn't focus the audio solely on headphone users and ignore people with home theaters.

Atmos would be great at using the 3d audio if you don't have headphones since it accomplishes that aspect as well.
Just grab a pair. There's really not much like this out there

Doombear

Goodness what a ride so far. Playing this with my amp and ATH AD700s... Holy shit I feel like the voices are in my head. Only just finished Valravn, and that was also a really fun section and culmination.

Phew. Need a break. Really really enjoying this so far. Pacing, story and the way it's all been delivered so far is great stuff.

Wow, gaf's impressions make me want to buy the game right now. (Need to finish Alien isolation first)
Very curious what the reviews are like, but I like what I hear so far. Sounds like my kinda game.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
I shouldn't have clicked on this thread. Shouldn't have read all of these positive comments. Fuck. Sounds like I need this game in my life but been cutting back on my gaming lately. Had no idea this was 29.99 though. That's awesome.

Really cool OT btw

Top Bottom