• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help me get into Anime PLEASE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

taco543

So I'm not a really a big fan of anime. Please don't kill me yet, I actually want to get into it, and was when I was younger. I loved and still do love Dragonball Z, Cowboy Bebop, Paranoia Agent, Outlaw Star, Trigun, FLCL, Pokemon, Samurai Champloo, Afro Samurai, and a little bit of Gundam. But as I grew older I kind of fell out of love and can't seem to watch most modern animes that my friends try to get me into other than High School of the Dead. They keep telling me Naruto, and I hated that. Bleach seems ridiculously long with no end. One Piece kind of caught my attention but I haven't given it a shot yet. Also I was never into subs but i figure now's a better time than ever to try to get into those too.

My list of recommendations from friends of what to watch include:
Persona Golden Anime
Rail Wars <- General consensus kill it with fire and stop being friends with the friend that recommended me this.
Attack on Titan
and JoJos Bizarre Adventure

If it helps to recommend stuff I like Action, Mecha, Comedy, and Space is always a plus.

So GAF please help me get back into anime I actually want to give it another shot.

Recommendations from GAF so far.
Code Geass
Ping Pong
Death Note
Attack on Titan
Summer Wars
Akira
Tatami Galaxy
Serial Experiments Lain
Beserk
Log Horizon
Knights of Sidonia
Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood
Steins;Gate
Tenchi Muyo/ Universe
Space Dandy
Ghost in the Shell
Gurren Lagann (quite a few recommendations so far. I may have to start with this...)
Aku no Hana
One Piece
Monster
Kenchi: the mightiest Disciple
Gundam Build Fighters
Neon Genesis
The Big O
Neon Evangelion Genesis (idk if it's the same as Neon Genesis)
Tiger and Bunny
Kenichi
Kill la Kill
Yowamushi Pedal
Black Lagoon
Kaiba
Kaiji
Akagi
Shingekai Yori
One Outs
Hunter X Hunter
Full Metal Alchemist (2003)
K-On
Gunslinger Girl
Rah Xephon
PsychoPass
Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei
Katanagari
BubbleGum Crisis (1988)
GunBuster then Daibuster in one sitting
Gundam Unicorn
Jungle Wa Itsumo Hale Nochi Guu
Potamayo.
Ghost in the Shell: SAC
Fate/Zero
Cromartie High School. (dubbed preferably)
Howl's Moving Castle
Welcome to the NHK
Spirited Away
Yu Yu Hakusho
Eureka Seven
Great Teacher Onizuka
Kingdom
Level E
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Planetes
Gintama
Bakemonogatari
Nichijou
Baka to Test
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
D-Frag!
Space brothers
ace of diamond
Patlabor the movie 1 and 2
Terra E
Zeta Gundam
Gunbuster
Infinte Ryvius
Gankutsuou
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
The Twelve Kingdoms
Gungrave
Wolf's Rain
Spice and Wolf

A plan has been made on where to start!

Plan is as follows:
Paranoia Agent
Monster
Planetes
Steins;Gate
Gurren Lagann
Gunslinger Girl
Ergo Proxy
Alien Nine
Kids on the Slope

TUSR

Banned
your friends recommended rail wars?

start with Attack on Titan to slowly get back into it. it drags at points but it sort of gave me the boot

Death Note.

Avoid Attack on Titan. It's too much of a chore and a borefest for not much awesome action. It's polarizing, it's everything that is wrong and keeps anime back when some other can balance thing much better.

Watch the movie Summer Wars, Akira, Cowboy Bebop too.

FMA: Brotherhood is perfect for a newbie.
Along with Steins;Gate and Welcome to the NHK.
Hunter X Hunter is great, but its a little longer then those above.

Gaz_RB

What's it about? and thanks for the suggestion!

It's kind of hard to explain. It's got some awesome big robot battles and I like the characters a lot.

Via wikipedia: Set in an alternate timeline, the series focuses on how the former prince Lelouch vi Britannia obtains a power known as Geass and decides to use it to obliterate the Holy Britannian Empire, an imperial monarchy and a superpower that has been conquering various countries.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
You got all those 90s classics on there, but no Tenchi Muyo/Universe?

Gotta fix that, mayne.

Space Dandy is pretty damn great.

Serial Experiments Lain if you want some weird in your life.

Ghost in the Shell for some cyberpunk.

Gurren Lagann over Kill la Kill.

taco543

I prefer space stuff I really like Cowboy Bebop it's one of my favorite cartoons of all time so if that helps anyone space stuff is a plus!

monster_poster_by_correlola-d59ecuh.jpg

Go Watch Monster. Great Anime.

Zukuu

Banned
Don't start with Attack on Titan.

First you should tell us what genres you like. Action, Martial Arts, Sci-Fi, Mecha, Romance, Comedy etc

A pretty great anime to start would be Steins;Gate imo. Kenichi: The mightiest Disciple is also a great entry and is a very light, but funny watch,

taco543

It's kind of hard to explain. It's got some awesome big robot battles and I like the characters a lot.

Via wikipedia: Set in an alternate timeline, the series focuses on how the former prince Lelouch vi Britannia obtains a power known as Geass and decides to use it to obliterate the Holy Britannian Empire, an imperial monarchy and a superpower that has been conquering various countries.

You had me at big robots. lol

taco543

Don't start with Attack on Titan.

First you should tell us what genres you like. Action, Martial Arts, Sci-Fi, Mecha, Romance, Comedy etc

A pretty great anime to start would be Steins;Gate imo. Kenichi: The mightiest Disciple is also a great entry and is a very light, but funny watch,

Action, SciFi, Mecha and a little comedy is nice. Again I know space isnt a genre but its a plus!

Branduil

So I'm not a really a big fan of anime. Please don't kill me yet, I actually want to get into it, and was when I was younger. I loved and still do love Dragonball Z, Cowboy Bebop, Paranoia Agent, Outlaw Star, Trigun, FLCL, Pokemon, Samurai Champloo, Afro Samurai, and a little bit of Gundam. But as I grew older I kind of fell out of love and can't seem to watch most modern animes that my friends try to get me into other than High School of the Dead. They keep telling me Naruto, and I hated that. Bleach seems ridiculously long with no end. One Piece kind of caught my attention but I haven't given it a shot yet. Also I was never into subs but i figure now's a better time than ever to try to get into those too.

Persona Golden Anime
Rail Wars
Attack on Titan

So GAF please help me get back into anime I actually want to give it another shot.

Friends don't tell friends to watch Rail Wars...

I'd recommend some of the more universally praised anime. Maybe try out Ghost in the Shell? Probably the best cyberpunk anime made thus far, and it doesn't insult your intelligence either. I wasn't too impressed with it when I first watched it, but rewatching it as an adult it blew me away.

FMA, both 2003 and Brotherhood, are good choices. Though I prefer Brotherhood personally.

Also if you liked Gundam and want a saturday-morning cartoon like anime I'd recommend Gundam Build Fighters. Sure it's a total commercial for the toys, but it's a really good commercial with a lot of heart.

I'd also caution against P4: Golden. It seems to be made for the fans of the series more than anything else.

MetalDeer

Seems like you're more into action-y shows, so I'll recommend The Big O
(avatar quote)
, or pretty much anything Gundam (Zeta Gundam is my personal favorite). For something different, Steins;Gate is a great anime that everyone should watch at least once. There's some silly otaku jokes and stuff in there that people might not get, but I don't think it takes away from it at all.

Watch Steins;Gate, it's great.

Edit: Oh, and yeah, definitely Gurren Lagann, too.

Zukuu

Banned
Action, SciFi, Mecha and a little comedy is nice. Again I know space isnt a genre but its a plus!
Sci-Fi: Steins;Gate (watch that first)
Mecha: Neon Evangelion Genesis. I'd recommend the new movies, but they aren't finished yet.
Comedy + Space + Mecha: Gurren Lagann

Personally I can recommend Tiger & Bunny for something truly unique and Kenichi (my favorite anime; action + comedy + martial arts)

I just finished Kill La Kill and really enjoyed it. Haven't watched much anime (other than Ghibli) since I was a teenager so I found the fast paced nature was good at the end of a shit day at work. It didn't linger on melodrama and inner turmoil as much as something like Attack on Titan, which I also enjoyed but the characters did waffle on too much without really going anywhere.

Tatami Galaxy
Serial Experiments Lain
Berserk

Three very different choices there

Another recommendation for Tatami Galaxy.
Maybe Kaiba, Kaiji, Akagi, Shinsekai Yori and One Outs.

honestly just watch cowboy bebop and neon genesis and then get out its all downhill from there

I wouldnt exactly say thats true. It was just that the current anime-fans are quite different from the anime-fans about 11/12 years ago I would say, so the popular series that get the most attention are often really "casual".

Heroman

Banned
Space Dandy is pretty great . HUNTER X HUNTER is fucking fantastic and is one best manga adaptation I have seen.

A good beginner anime is the original Fullmetal Alchemist from the early 2000's, it has much better characters, tone, and pacing than Brotherhood, and it has a bit of everything. Another good one if you were into gundam is Gundam Build Fighters, the first season is free on YouTube and it's pretty amazing. Gunslinger Girl is one of my top three shows, and it's a very non-anime anime, so you don't have to be weeblord supreme to get into it, just save your sanity and only watch the first season because the second one is complete shit. Nichijou is the absolute king of comedy shows. K-ON is the absolute king of cute girls doing cute things. That should cover you for a few different genres.

Kill la Kill is garbage btw, steer clear of it.

Edit: Sorry, I don't like Attack on Titan, but it wasn't right of me to put it in the same category as the transcendental shit that is Kill la Kill.
Elfen Lied
This man is lying.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Rail Wars? There's a better fanservice anime out there. All i want is to see trains action, but they are lacking in that department!
The heroine are cute though

The other recommendation are rock solid. I see that you like P4G, so you will probably enjoy P4G the animation. It's not the prettiest animation, but that'll do

My recommendation
Usagi Drop
Silver Spoon
Danshi Kokousei no Nichijou

taco543

I'm Actually taking notes of this lol because of the three day weekend coming up I'm going to binge watch and game all day... lol

I'll update the OP with the recommendations so far too

Finalow

Persona Golden Anime
Rail Wars
Attack on Titan

should tell your friends that their tastes in anime are shit. not to the guy that recommended JoJo though.

picking from this thread I'd say go with some Yuasa's magic sauce > ping pong and tatami galaxy. then Monster, Gurren Lagann, Steins;Gate, Planetes and Mushishi. and rewatch Cowboy Bebop.

also HxH and JoJo instead of One Piece.

honestly just watch cowboy bebop and neon genesis and then get out its all downhill from there
honestly it's not.

Uzzy

Ghost in the Shell is godly. Watch all of that. The movies and Stand Alone Complex.

Given your love of space stuff, I'd also suggest Planetes. It's a hard sci fi show about janitors in space, floating around in Earth orbit cleaning up junk.

Mesoian

Persona Golden Anime
Rail Wars
Attack on Titan

Fuckin'...

Alright, take Rails Wars off that list.

Rah Xephon
FLCL
PsychoPass
Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei
Katanagari
Mushishi
BubbleGum Crisis (1988)
GunBuster then Daibuster in one sitting
Gundam Unicorn
Jungle Wa Itsumo Hale Nochi Guu
annnnnnnd...Potamayo.

That's a good month worth of good stuff.

It's a little bit slow for kids, but if one doesn't really have to wait for episodes, then that problem is gone.

It can have an adult quality. I actually play a drinking game with it. Every time Eren does something psychotic, somebody gets eaten, Levi scowls, or people stand around and talk in the face of imminent danger for a minute, you take a shot.

Heroman

Banned
I'm Actually taking notes of this lol because of the three day weekend coming up I'm going to binge watch and game all day... lol

I'll update the OP with the recommendations so far too

Take rail wars off that list. Also you attack on titan is a good or bad show. It has some great moment but is ruin by some terrible pacing and super melodrama. You need to add Hunter x hunter 2011.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Ghost in the Shell: SAC - may as well be a Deus Ex anime. If you like cyberpunk, this is the way to go.

I remember liking the Escaflowne series alot when I was younger.

Full Metal Alchemist is alot better than I thought it was going to be, even if the main character is an obnoxious little prick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom