• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help me get into Anime PLEASE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KillGore

Do it

1600x600_streaming_anime.jpg

Honestly OP if u find an anime thats interesting just go for it
forcing yourself to like anime is going to burn you out

I only watch One Piece and some other 12-24 episode series on occasion
but thats more than enough to be a fan :)

lonely

The only anime that I would be fully confident recommending to someone who doesn't watch is Fate/Zero. Beautifully animated, great characters and most importantly a mature story.

Ionic

Venture out of action a bit and try comedy. Cromartie High School.

Edit: And do yourself a favor and watch it dubbed in English. It's excellent.

A question I had regarding a lot of newcomers into anime...

Quite often I find that a lot of anime-newcomers really love Ecchi-series. Wonder why that is.

The only anime that I would be fully confident recommending to someone who doesn't watch is Fate/Zero. Beautifully animated, great characters and most importantly a mature story.

There are quite a lot of anime who have a mature story, but somehow these often arent the ones who are popular sadly.

Mesoian

FLCL is a great show once you realize that it's not the craziest thing you've ever seen.

It's a really nice coming of age story about an awkward kid who gets taken advantage of by a crazy woman who uses him during the point where he can't figure out if he wants to take advantage of the girl his brother abandoned to go play baseball. It's a real simple, pretty sweet story wrapped up in a whole lot of flash and nonsense. It's a great watch.

Turin

Banned
Monster

Mushishi

Howl's Moving Castle

Attack On Titan(though it's boring in the middle)

Cowboy Bebop

Samurai Champloo

Welcome to the NHK

Spirited Away

FiggyCal

Banned
I wouldn't reccommend Jo Jo's Bizarre Adventure to anyone that wants to get into anime. It's insane how over the top it is. Attack on Titan has some really impressive moments, but the majority of what I've seen has been pretty boring.

If you're looking to get into some really well written stuff, you can't go wrong with Monster, Death Note, or Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Out of the more recent stuff, I loved Kill la Kill. It's funny and has a great art style. Oooh and Nichijou. Nichijou is also funny.

Edit: How did I forget about Space Dandy?

Yu Yu Hakusho - Classic action/comedy/fighting akin to DBZ
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - Amazing story/action/mystery
Eureka Seven - This show has everything. Action/comedy/drama/romance/mechs, etc.The first half can be a bit slow, but it's worth it. One of my favorite anime. Also, do not watch the movie or E7:AO after.

All three of these have great English dubs too (in my opinion).

Bonus: Great Teacher Onizuka - Hilarious school drama

FLCL is a great show once you realize that it's not the craziest thing you've ever seen.

It's a really nice coming of age story about an awkward kid who gets taken advantage of by a crazy woman who uses him during the point where he can't figure out if he wants to take advantage of the girl his brother abandoned to go play baseball. It's a real simple, pretty sweet story wrapped up in a whole lot of flash and nonsense. It's a great watch.
Plus it's only six episodes.

Oh. Forgot Paranoia Agent, though maybe it might be a bit old.

Edit: Oh shit. Its already 10 years old. I feel like it was just yesterday when I watched it :(

Giolon

Gurren Lagann didn't do it for me (but it was an ok show), but it was Kill La Kill that truly re-kindled my love of anime. If you aren't averse to fanservice, give it a go. It's full of nonsense, but that's what some of the most entertaining stuff is all about. It's also very egalitarian in its fanservice, even though it may not seem so immediately in the first couple episodes.

It starts out as a gender-bent "you killed my father, prepare to die!" revenge story, and where it ends up with everybody naked and lots of insanity along the way. The show pokes liberal fun at tons of anime tropes from magical girls, to lecherous men, to shonen battle tournaments and clip shows.

Seirei no Moribito (Guardian of the Spirit) and Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex are great shows too.

I'll second a recommendation of Code Geass, though the 2nd half is weaker than the first.

Soriku

Fate/Zero would be great for non-anime watchers. Just be wary of the slow first episode. After that it's smooth sailing.

taco543

Honestly OP if u find an anime thats interesting just go for it
forcing yourself to like anime is going to burn you out

I only watch One Piece and some other 12-24 episode series on occasion
but thats more than enough to be a fan :)

That's why I want the recommendations because if I can find ones similar to the ones I liked and still do then I'll be able to slowly get back into it I'm taking the recommendations but O'm going to do plot searches and see which are the most recommended to have a starting point. The last thing I wanna do is burn myself out before I even start lol.

Gurren Lagann didn't do it for me (but it was an ok show), but it was Kill La Kill that truly re-kindled my love of anime. If you aren't averse to fanservice, give it a go. It's full of nonsense, but that's what some of the most entertaining stuff is all about. It's also very egalitarian in its fanservice, even though it may not seem so immediately in the first couple episodes.

It starts out as a gender-bent "you killed my father, prepare to die!" revenge story, and where it ends up with everybody naked and lots of insanity along the way. The show pokes liberal fun at tons of anime tropes from magical girls, to lecherous men, to shonen battle tournaments and clip shows.
I really can't stress enough how terrible this show is, OP. I was all aboard the hype train and telling every living soul to watch it, but it got so bad so fast.

Finalow

i feel like im the expert here because thats why i did and it worked out for me
expert? Wut? You watched 2 shows and then stopped because "everything just goes downhill" which is not even remotely true, there is plenty of good stuff around.

I wouldnt exactly say thats true. It was just that the current anime-fans are quite different from the anime-fans about 11/12 years ago I would say, so the popular series that get the most attention are often really shit.
ftfy.

Irobot82

Take Death Note off that list. It's horrible. I just finished it and just didn't care about anyone and fast forwarded the end just to confirm what you knew would happen because it was really the only way it could end. Awful anime...

FiggyCal

Banned
Take Death Note off that list. It's horrible. I just finished it and just didn't care about anyone and fast forwarded the end just to confirm what you knew would happen because it was really the only way it could end. Awful anime...

Don't listen to this man. First episode will have you hooked.

The only anime you need is Sword Art Online. It's a masterpiece of animation, plot, backstory, and well written characters. Some say it even rivals the best work of Studio Ghibli.

Welcome to the NHK is fantastic and not too animey, which is part of the reason I like it so much. It also somehow struck a really kind of depressingly relateable chord with me (excluding being a recluse).

taco543

I really can't stress enough how terrible this show is, OP. I was all aboard the hype train and telling every living soul to watch it, but it got so bad so fast.
Idk it has a lot recommendations so far plus it has the type of stuff from what others are saying that I actually like. I'll give it a harder think when it comes to it this weekend.

I have a friend that didn't recommend it to me because what you just said but then quite a few others of them seem to like it a lot, plot wise it seems interesting but if the characters and story are written shit then you can't really argue with that... lol so that got moved way further down the list of interest.

Lothar

Banned

Another vote for don't listen to this person. I didn't know it was in me to like anime before Death Note. Death Note was excellent.

Don't let people scare you off of Attack on Titan, it became a big "gateway" anime for a reason.(you still might hate it but eh)

Classic beginner anime stuff:
Death Note
Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Black Lagoon
Gurren Lagann
Ghost in the Shell
Yu Yu Hakusho

Other great stuff:
Hunter X Hunter
Baccano
Fate/Zero
Mushishi
Wolf's Rain
Monster
Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo
Berserk
Stein's Gate
Gungrave(if you ever watch this skip the 1st episode)
Kaiji
Code Geass(some very polarizing opinions about this but I liked it a lot)
The Twelve Kingdoms

Space stuff since you mentioned space:
Space Battleship Yamato(good lord how did I forget this)
Terra E
Zeta Gundam
Gunbuster
Planetes
Infinte Ryvius
Gurren Lagann as mentioned above
Gankutsuou as seen above is set in a sci-fi world
Legend of the Galactic Heroes(a long space opera series, so good it nearly ruined anime for me, if you ignore everything else from this list please remember this one)

If someone tells you to watch Sword Art Online, put them on ignore.

taco543

The only anime you need is Sword Art Online. It's a masterpiece of animation, plot, backstory, and well written characters. Some say it even rivals the best work of Studio Ghibli.

I can sense the sarcasm here only because I listen to the best friendcast... lol

My tastes seem inline with yours... so, here's what I got.

I loved AoT, but it doesn't really have a deep connect with those old 90's era animes you loved. So, you know, who knows with that one.

Whereas, Akira, Big O, Berserk actually are animes of that era you just didn't see, so I see them being slam dunks for you.
Jojo is too, but it's sort of an aquired taste of sillyness. It depends.
And, let me add, since your a big Watanabe fan from the looks of it, Space Dandy might be worth checking out. Be forewarned it's a low brow comedy show for the most part though.
That's all I got.

There is always room for more at GundamGAF

The Gundam metaverse can be intimidating to get into, and it seems like you've sort of penetrated it. Why not go all in?

Where to Start?

That's a little bit of a tricky question, since the franchise is made up of 30 years worth of shows. But I can break it down for you. Gundam is made up of two parts. The main franchise timeline is called Universal Century. Every show there-in is connected. This is the meat and potatoes of the franchise, and if you're going to watch Gundam, you really should check it out since it is what made the franchise culturally relevant.

If you do watch UC Gundam, I recommend production order. I'll break it down for you:

Mobile Suit Gundam (1979) (TV Series or Movie trilogy, take your pick. I prefer the tv series). This is the first series, and frankly I think it's still one of the best. The story centers around the young crew of a prototype battleship and their struggles to survive in a war between the Earth Federation and a group of space colonists called the Principality of Zeon. Nearly every show in the franchise cribs off this show's themes and dynamics. Takes place in UC 0079

Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam (1986) (TV Series only. Avoid the movies): The second series, it's quite a bit darker than the first series. Which says a lot. It tells the story of a small group called the AEUG, and their struggles against the oppressive Titans. Nearly every main character from the first series has at least a cameo in this series. Takes place in UC 0087. Many consider this to be a great show.

Mobile Suit ZZ (Double Zeta) Gundam (1987) (TV series only). The direct successor to Zeta Gundam. It takes place in the aftermath of Z Gundam. It's much more light-hearted than Z Gundam, at least initially. This tonal whiplash has drawn quite a bit of criticism, though it seems that opinion of this show has grown quite a bit in the last few years. I rather like its upbeat cast and scenarios. It takes place in UC 0088.

Char's Counterattack (1989): This is the first full length movie in the franchise. It's a bit controversal, due to a character's rather vague motivations. Plus it features one or two of the most hated characters in the franchise. But I enjoy the music, animation, story quite a bit. The finale is amazing. It takes place in UC 0093.

0080: War in the Pocket (1989?): This is Gundam's first OVA, and also the first piece in the franchise to be directed by someone other than Yoshiyuki Tomino. The story is set in the latter parts of the One Year War, which was featured in the first series. It tells the story of a young boy who befriends a group of Zeon commandos who have infiltrated his neutral colony. It's widely acclaimed and one of my favorites in the franchise. I watch it every Christmas.

F91 Gundam: Gundam's second movie, it takes place in UC 0123. It tells the story of a young man who is fighting to liberate his colony from the clutches of Cosmos Babylonia, which wants to establish a space aristocracy. Originally this was planned as a TV series, but that was scrapped. As such, the pace is breakneck and the plot a bit hard to follow at times. I love this movie, though I wish it had been at least an OVA. The first 30 minutes are balls-to-the-walls awesome.

0083: Stardust Memories. As it's name implies, this 12 episode OVA takes place in UC 0083. A former Zeon ace hijacks a nuclear weapon-equiped prototype mobile suit, and it is up to the crew of the Albion to retrieve or destroy the suit. This is a controversial OVA. A lot of people don't like the main characters or plot. Other than a VERY confusing character twist towards the end, I found it to be pretty good. I don't care what people say though, the Dendrobium is a piece of shit.

Victory Gundam (1993). This is the last UC TV series currently produced. It takes place in UC 0153, and features a withered Earth Federation fighting through a proxy called the League Militaire against the Zanscare Empire, which is a theocracy. Another controversial entry. It features one of the highest death counts in the franchise. Even more shocking, since the protagonist is one of the youngest in the franchise. The fights can be quite interesting at times since he's one of the more inventive protagonists. Zanscare's MSes are ass though.

08th MS Team (1996): Another One Year War side story, it features a group of Earth Federation grunts fighting in anachronistic MSes in the jungles of Asia. A lot of people seem to like this OVA, but I don't care for it. It's too disjointed and the romance is bullshit. There is a very awesome fight towards the end though.

MS Igloo and Igloo 2: These were two sets of OVAs in the mid 2000s. Rendered in butt ugly CGI, Igloo tells the story of an engineering squad in the One Year War. Boring characters, repetitive stories. You can skip it. Igloo 2, which is about a bunch of dumb ass Feddie grunts, is worse. You can skip these. The only episode worth a damn is the one about the Zudah

Gundam Unicorn (2010): This OVA just finished this past spring. This is the icing on the cake. I know a lot of people don't like Banagher or Riddhe, but they are certainly no Hathaway. It is full of UC fanservice, and I rather enjoyed the ride. Wonderful animation and music. And tons of cameos from old UC MSes. It takes place in the aftermath of Char's Counterattack, in UC 0096

AUs are a little bit more complicated. They aren't nearly as connected as the UC. You can pretty much watch these in any order, but I recommend saving Turn A for last.

G Gundam (1994). This show is basically Gundam meets really bad Kung Fu movies. And I mean that in a good way. Hotblooded and over the top, it's pretty popular. I enjoyed it, but I don't really take it too seriously (hint, you're not supposed to). A fun, jovial romp with tons of racism.

Gundam Wing (1995). This was the first Gundam series released in America, which makes it the most popular here. It's basically a re-hash of First Gundam, Zeta Gundam and Char's Counterattack all rolled into one. Personally, I think this show is pretty mediocre. Watch this show's inspiration. It DOES have some good moments though

Gundam X (1996). This is the second Gundam series to have it's production run cut short (First Gundam was the first). It's basically a post-apocalypse take on the franchise. It's an okay series. I don't care for the romance angle it sort of takes (the female lead is a total wet blanket). I also think it undersells its premise, which is disappointing. Still, i can't say it didn't try its hardest.

Turn A Gundam (1999). This show is technically made for the franchise's 20th anniversary. I simply adore it. It has a very laid back, mellow pace and i love how pastoral it is. Beautiful art and music. The story is kind of like a steampunkish-neo victorian take on Gundam. It tells the story of Loran, as he tries to prevent a full scale war from breaking out after settlers on the moon decide to immigrate back to Earth.

Gundam Seed (2003). Fuck this show. Avoid this garbage

Gundam Seed (2004). Fuck this show even more. Avoid this garbage

Gundam 00 (2008?). This show is comprised of two seasons. Both are pretty different, and most people agree that season 2 is lacking. I don't necessarily agree. If First Gundam is a response to Cold War concerns, then this is a response to Post-9/11 concerns. It's decent. If you want a newer anime, you can't go wrong here.

00: A wakening the Trailerblazer (2010?): this movie is a follow up to Gundam 00. It's certainly something. Definitely a unique take on Gundam themes.... YMMV

Gunpla Builders (2010?): A short 45 minute OVA. It's premise was later re-used sort of for Gundam Build Fighters. It's totally charming and pretty short. A great ad for model kits.

Gundam AGE (2012): They tried doing something unique here, but it just fell apart. It's a multi-generation story, but it just doesn't work that well. I find the protagonist of the first generation to be a great character, especially in the later generations. The whole production was completely fumbled though, which is a shame. It could have been great.

Gundam Build Fighters (2013-2014). One of the current running Gundam shows, it's about to start back up again. It's about kids battling with Gundam models. It's full of awesome fan service. Everyone loved this show. even people not familiar with Gundam.

Reconquista in G (2014): This is about to start. We actually don't know much about this, other than it's the return of Yoshiyuki Tomino for the first time since Turn A.

I think that's everything.

taco543

Kk gunna add spice and wolf to the op then I'm going to tally up the recommendations to see which I should start putting more interest in. Please don't stop recommending even if someone else already has this way it'll make it a little easier to narrow it down.

Riposte

"PLEASE!" lol

You seem to be talking about series rather than movies, so I'll restrict myself to that.

Of the recommended anime, I only suggest JoJo's Bizarre Adventure and maybe Attack on Titan.

Animes I recommend with little caveat: (Note a few of these have been on adult swim)

Baccano! (early 20th century period American piece that mixes mobsters with light fantasy. The story is very complex with a half-dozen protagonists and prone to a lot of mystery. Can be jazzy and lighthearted one second and brutal and psychopathic in another. Its opening is one of the best and does a good job telling you what you are in for (while also playing with your expectations). Outstanding dub.)

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (set around a task force in an relatively grounded cyberpunk world. It has procedural episodes of varying quality that explore the setting with other episodes dedicated to a central storyline that are consistently good. One of the best soundtracks I've heard in an anime, setting the atmosphere apart from any similar series. Good dub.)

Legend of the Galactic Heroes (an aged, idealistic space opera centered around the idea of corrupt democracy vs. virtuous autocracy that almost looks like a historical documentary; considered one of the epics of anime (although the final season is fairly rushed). Can be visually inconsistent, but the old style art is very charming if you are into that sort of thing. Although focused more on big ideas and the making of history, the camaraderie between the characters makes them easy to fall in love with. Do not watch the episode previews, they are literally meant for people who already know what's going to happen. There's a playlist on YouTube, no idea on how legal it is, but it presents the vast series in an organized, reasoned manner.)

Hunter x Hunter '99 or '11 (outside JoJo's, this series may very well represent the pinnacle of the battle shonen genre with very strong world-bulding, interesting "magic" system and strategies, and willingness to dive into dark themes and subvert tropes. There has been two adaptations, the latter going one and half arcs further. Most people will say watch the later one, but I'm a strong proponent of the early series because I feel it has way better direction and is more interesting both visually and musically.)

Full Metal Alchemist and Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood (Many of the things I said were true for HxH are true here too, it is just less of a battle shonen with battles that are more visual than strategic. The two series are the same up to a point, but since the first series was made long before the manga had ended, it has a completely original second half (more somber and darker than how the manga/Brotherhood turned out. It is worth noting that by most accounts, the first half is done much better in the original series, with a stronger atmosphere. I liked the dub in the original, didn't hear the Brotherhood dub)

Gurren Lagann (High energy, hyper masculine mecha show paying homages to all sort of classics, an anti-Evangelion (notably released the height of the "manly tears" and "GAR" memes lol). What's most memorable about this series is just how far it is willing to escalate, bringing things to an almost unheard of scale. Avoid dub.)

(There's more, but I'm getting lazy)

One Piece is better read as a manga if you ask me (and since it was recommended, Death Note too). In general, I spend more time with manga than anime.

EDIT: This post took so long to write it ended up being the 100th post lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom