• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help me get into Anime PLEASE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mumei

As someone who has recently bought the volumes, is there anything that makes the anime superior?

Well, nothing that doesn't differentiate any anime from any manga: Color, voice acting, music, and a set pacing can make it a more immersive experience. On the other hand, the pacing can hurt the effectiveness of some scenes, and some repetition of scenes doesn't work quite as well. The direction is fantastic, I think, but it focuses on fidelity to the manga over making an "anime version" of the story.

Well, nothing that doesn't differentiate any anime from any manga: Color, voice acting, music, and a set pacing can make it a more immersive experience. On the other hand, the pacing can hurt the effectiveness of some scenes, and some repetition of scenes doesn't work quite as well. The direction is fantastic, I think, but it focuses on fidelity to the manga over making an "anime version" of the story.
I see, thanks. The unusually large amount of episodes (for a 162 chapter manga) does slightly worry me in regards to pacing though.

Mumei

I see, thanks. The unusually large amount of episodes (for a 162 chapter manga) does slightly worry me in regards to pacing though.

Mm. Well, if we stipulate that you liked the story in the manga and don't want to abridge it in some way, I think you'll be fine with the direction. Monster is much more story-dense than, say, a battle shounen, after all. It isn't a stretch at all to turn Chapters 1 - 8 into Episodes 1 - 4, for instance.

I know it's been said a lot here, but Death Note. I still get chills thinking about that show. Great story and cool voice acting. I think that has to be essential for anyone looking for anime.

Something is seriously wrong with the opening post. Lupin the Third isn't listed. This needs correcting.

If you have an appreciation for older anime, I strongly suggest giving Lupin a shot. I'm not much of an anime person in general, but I got massively into Lupin a couple of years back. The franchise spans 40 years and the original pilot film was released in 1969. Hayao Miyazaki (former Studio Ghibli) worked on the first TV series and he directed a film in 1979, titles The Castle of Cagliostro.

The series is a comedy at heart, but since there is 40 years worth of content here there is a great deal of vareity. I find that this helps keep things interesting even though it has, at it's core, always stayed the same. The characters are fun, the music is incredible and the animation is great for the time.

If you do watch it, I'd suggest starting with either the 1971 green jacket TV series or the 1977 red jacket TV series. If you don't want to commit to an entire series right away, give either The Castle of Cagliostro or The Fuma Conspiracy a watch.

Lothar

Banned
I know it's been said a lot here, but Death Note. I still get chills thinking about that show. Great story and cool voice acting. I think that has to be essential for anyone looking for anime.

I agree and another thing, it's short. Even if you don't like it, you won't be wasting a lot of time. You could watch it all in a weekend. It's just 37 twenty minute episodes. I watched about 2 hours a day and finished it in a week. Unfortunately. It'll be easy to check it off your list.

Can I just say, I finished Steins;Gate last week, and couldn't stand it. I feel it is completely misrepresented and overrated by its fans, personally. For one thing, yes it is Sci-fi, but its other main attribute would not be thriller or action, it would certainly be comedy or 'slice of life', or even romance. None of which interest me.

The first 12 episodes are unbearably slow, featuring some of the most unlikable characters I've ever seen. The next 8 or so are spent going on various dates with each female character, making me finally realize this was a harem show.

And Mayushi. I've not hated a thing in an anime more. You guys understand that a grown woman that speaks in the third person and shouts DOOT DOO DOO! every time she enters the room is not in fact cute, but IS in fact mentally retarded?(No offense intended to those with real mental deficiencies)
I did get some small enjoyment from uttering DOOT DOO DOO everytime she died.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Something is seriously wrong with the opening post. Lupin the Third isn't listed. This needs correcting.

If you have an appreciation for older anime, I strongly suggest giving Lupin a shot. I'm not much of an anime person in general, but I got massively into Lupin a couple of years back. The franchise spans 40 years and the original pilot film was released in 1969. Hayao Miyazaki (former Studio Ghibli) worked on the first TV series and he directed a film in 1979, titles The Castle of Cagliostro.

The series is a comedy at heart, but since there is 40 years worth of content here there is a great deal of vareity. I find that this helps keep things interesting even though it has, at it's core, always stayed the same. The characters are fun, the music is incredible and the animation is great for the time.

If you do watch it, I'd suggest starting with either the 1971 green jacket TV series or the 1977 red jacket TV series. If you don't want to commit to an entire series right away, give either The Castle of Cagliostro or The Fuma Conspiracy a watch.

I have to say, Castle of Cagliostro is legitimately great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom