• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help me get into Anime PLEASE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinistral

I think well rounded and universal quality anime that transcends the genre and becomes just damn good watches would be:

Millennium Actress
Tokyo Godfathers
Princess Mononoke
Planetes
FMA: Brotherhood
Cowboy Bebop
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Silver Spoon

Mumei

Quite a few of the series that I really enjoyed or think are good gateway series (not always the same thing!) have already been mentioned: Monster, Mushishi, One Piece, Code Geass, Death Note, Berserk, FMA:B, FMA (2003), Gurren Lagann, Black Lagoon, HxH, Planetes, Great Teacher Onizuka, Yu Yu Hakusho, FLCL, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Studio Ghibli films generally, and probably other series and movies I like but didn't see mentioned.

For series that I didn't see mentioned, though, I'd add: Legend of the Galactic Heroes, The Twelve Kingdoms, Full Metal Panic + sequels, Azumanga Daioh, Crest of the Stars, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Baccano, Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo, Hikaru no Go, Hajime no Ippo, Ouran High School Host Club, Haibane Renmei, Fantastic Children, The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi, Kamichu!, Nodame Cantabile, Natsume Yuujinchou (Natsume's Book of Friends), Record of Lodoss War (13 episode OVA, not the TV series), East of Eden, Millennium Actress, Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen / Samurai X: Trust & Betrayal (same thing; you'll find it under one of those names) Vision of Escaflowne (TV series), and Mobile Suit Gundam 08th MS Team. I'll add more if I think of any and someone else hasn't mentioned it~

I could narrow down if I had a better idea of exactly what you're looking for and what you like / don't like in anime.

And yes, Neon Genesis Evangelion = Neon Genesis.

Idk it has a lot recommendations so far plus it has the type of stuff from what others are saying that I actually like. I'll give it a harder think when it comes to it this weekend.
The animation is little more than stills sliding around the screen and the story literally resets back to the beginning after twelve episodes and renders everything that happened null, then it tries to get really deep and edgy with things like incest mind control, and they literally fight flying double breasted suits (which are mostly static images that fall down when a character touches them). It's total clown shoes.

I'm here for you, OP. Please, I only want what's best for you.

I always post this whenever I give anime recs. NOTE: This is list is pretty outdated by now, so augment it with some newer stuff that people give in this thread.

1284751708378.jpg

FiggyCal

Banned
You probably don't have a Vita -- most people don't. But if you do, you should totally play Persona 4 rather than watch the anime.

Planetes - Following the tale of what are essentially "Space Garbage Men" as they clean up low Earth orbit of debris. Truly one of the very few shows to depict realistic null-G movement in an anime and a delightful tale beyond that.

Time of Eve - Focusing on the interaction between Human and Human-Like Robots. Very Asimov in its world building (based on his 3 laws of Robotics) and an extremely pleasant experience throughout.

Mushishi - Traveling medicine man goes from place to place dealing with the trouble that the spirit creatures in the world create. Gloomy, slower paced, and a bit more methodical in its story telling. Episodic.

Ping Pong the Animation - Anime of the year. Don't let the subject put you off as its really more of a character drama with Ping Pong used as the stage to tell its story. Really really good.

Baccano - Cus I said so.

Riposte

Kill la Kill has inconsistent animation and a disappointing final arc storywise, but it's rather funny and with no shortage of hype moments (owing a lot to the use of the excellent soundtrack). It no way it is terrible. Mediocre, maybe. Satsuki and the Devas are really fun to watch.

EDIT: I think Ping Pong will be the next anime I watch.

I've only just started my obsession with anime after falling off since I was in middle school. I almost wish I was a kid again so I could have all the time in the world to get to all of this list, which I'm never going to finish.

That said, speaking for currently airing anime, Barakamon is by far my favorite in the summer season. It's legitimately one of the funniest shows I've seen and it's so earnest in the relationship the protagonist and the kids who visit him have (my avatar is Naru from this show aka best character). If it doesn't win you over by episode 3, you might be a lost cause.

Bs-V5flCEAAUPDW.jpg:large

MetalDeer

You probably don't have a Vita -- most people don't. But if you do, you should totally play Persona 4 rather than watch the anime.

Uh, yeah, I second this. No one should watch the Persona 4 anime in place of the game, it's not terrible, but I think it's only something you should watch after playing the game, first. It's supplementary, kinda. Don't ruin a great game for yourself.

I always wanted to watch Monster and Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

I already know I'll like them.

It's just so much time to set aside.

Mecha

Also try getting into manga if you haven't already, anime is best used for original stories and the rare good adaption.

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood.

All day, every day. I just got back into anime after a 12-14 year lapse, and this is the best series I've watched since. It's so brilliant, characters are great with lots of development, great story, great action, amazing writing.

You won't regret it.

Yawnier

Banned
Hataraku Maou Sama - An anime about Satan who works at McRonalds, loses most of his powers
Is This a Zombie? - An anime about a Zombie who is also a magiclad girl
Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu - An anime about.... god where do I even start with this one

All are pretty recent anime I liked a lot, I recommend them. Baka to Test especially had me completely laughing my ass off.

taco543

Also try getting into manga if you haven't already, anime is best used for original stories and the rare good adaption.

WOAH! WOAH! One step at a time here lol. But yeah for sure if everything goes good I can see myself reading a couple.

Also I'm sorry if I don't respond I'm literally pushing all the recommendations to excel and making a spread sheet while listening to Cake's cover of I will survive....

Vandread also fits the action/comedy/space/mecha preferrations(the reason Gurenn Lagann is getting mentioned a lot I assume) that you listed.

Though it's kind of a harem too which I hate hate hate, so yeah.

Box

The first and last thing to know about watching anime is that what you think is good and what you enjoy are not the same thing.

In other words, feel free to enjoy something while thinking it is terrible. That's a lot of what watching anime is.

Just watch Angel Cop, and you'll have all the anime you could ever ask for and then some! I'm sure that whatever I could recommend has already been said ad nauseam. A new show that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread, "Akame ga Kill!", is pretty OK! I guess the only advice I can give would be to watch all of the "anime made for people who don't like anime" series, and maybe try branching out a bit after that. ^_^

Legend of the Galactic Heroes(a long space opera series, so good it nearly ruined anime for me, if you ignore everything else from this list please remember this one)

Great suggestion!
HAPPY NOW, SILVER?!

Just watch Angel Cop, and you'll have all the anime you could ever ask for and then some! I'm sure that whatever I could recommend has already been said ad nauseam. A new show that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread, "Akame ga Kill!", is pretty OK! I guess the only advice I can give would be to watch all of the "anime made for people who don't like anime" series, and maybe try branching out a bit after that. ^_^

Great suggestion!

hey I mentioned LOTGH first, stop giving away my damn credit.

The first and last thing to know about watching anime is that what you think is good and what you enjoy are not the same thing.

In other words, feel free to enjoy something while thinking it is terrible. That's a lot of what watching anime is.

Speaking of which, I'm enjoying watching Rail Wars right now because its dumb and pretty bad. Any suggestions for things you enjoyed that were terrible/dumb?

OP, this is going to take your whole life. There is a shitton of good anime as it has already been made obvious by the thread. It's a demanding process, you have a lot of time left in your life, but for the love of god please know that you have to explore the medium by yourself before the sheer magnitude of the fanhood around it crushes your experience of it.

That said, please watch the Alien Nine OVA episodes. Great little horror thing, excellent example of the mind break genre that we all know and love.

Branduil

Princess Mononoke

ix9BLEo7yleBk.jpg

One of the best ecological parables ever made and a beautifully animated film.

Haibane Renmei

iQvp30cR0M1Xc.jpg

A great character drama and psychological examination of the mystery of death.

Grave of the Fireflies

ibkWP9OaQKFs7S.jpg

Haunting and moving. One of Takahata's best.

Laputa

ibjgBWTY9hHgCa.jpg

One of the best pure adventure films ever made.

Spirited Away

iznmzs5RRMuDk.jpg

A visually stunning film with multiple layers of depth and mythological underpinnings.

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

iMQ3mCGbRgs6q.jpg

One of the funniest, most charming, and most moving time travel movies ever made.

Wolf Children

ibq4Wk3drMBksC.jpg

A fantastic film that uses the unique strengths of animation to illustrate the difficulties of raising children.

The Wings of Honneamise

irmXrCtkr6AsX.jpg

Hard sci-fi movie about an alternate Earth's space race and the way it affects the people living on it.

Little Witch Academia

i4LaO1JEYrCis.jpg

A charming and exquisitely animated short film.

Time of Eve

ieai7DD2AYVgF.jpg

Asimov as anime.

My Neighbor Totoro

ioZ0nJ22UGovK.jpg

A really unique fantasy story about two young girls in the countryside and the magical creature they meet.

The Vision of Escaflowne

ios2SlnYFwiby.jpg

One of the best fantasy series out there with knights, mecha, monsters, romance, and more.

Monster

ibjbNSaQmkRK0J.jpg

Psychological thriller that examines what it means to be a monster.

The Garden of Words

ibfW5daChiW2pO.jpg

A beautifully drawn film about responding to the pressures of life and feet.

Whisper of the Heart

ibfSePHnSY7pxf.jpg

A coming-of-age story with wonderful animation and charm.

Space Battleship Yamato 2199

ilitYV5piy5FF.jpg

One of the greatest space adventures in anime.

Flowers of Evil

irpgfEwzFax8L.jpg

The story of an introverted teen and how he deals or fails to deal with puberty and its extreme effects on his psyche.

The Tatami Galaxy

iJHVSHPtOGw5l.jpg

A love comedy that explores the meaning behind the pursuit of romance.

Fate/Zero

iMMAn9xRRB1Hi.jpg

An incredibly well-done urban fantasy in the "Battle Royale" mode.

Only Yesterday

iW5HITVNoOQ6b.jpg

An imaginative film that examines a young girl's childhood and the effects it's had on her as an adult.

From the New World

ixQ7NJwmcd16l.jpg

A post-apocalyptic sci-fi series that deals with the malleable and manipulatable nature of the human mind.

Colorful

iFKMr4H29Odp4.jpg

A dead boy gets one more chance at life, but he has to solve the mystery of his sin while inhabiting the body of another boy who attempted suicide.

Gunslinger Girl

iJtRwFEMhKm6H.jpg

An action drama that deals with a fictional agency in Italy using pre-teen cyborg assassins and the toll the work takes on the girls and their handlers.

Beautiful Dreamer

ikcjzQwQ47Bnw.jpg

Mamoru Oshii at his best.

Pale Cocoon

iArEkWruSYv3m.png

Eerie sci-fi short about workers in a strange and isolated archive.

Angel's Egg

ibqK8JGl9d641x.jpg

Mamoru Oshii at his most allegorical.

Kino's Journey

iQIFLZMbf4j6p.jpg

An exploration of anthropologically-minded short stories.

Baccano!

iuRjE3rIYELiS.jpg

A violent, complex, and non-linear story about supernatural powers and gangsters in 1930s New York.

Macross Plus

invMe6V0kimZR.jpg

A stunningly directed OVA series about a group of estranged friends, experimental mecha, and an insane A.I.

Summer Wars

i3HXCJ09TgisI.jpg

An epically fun movie about family ties, the internet, and communication.

Rozen Maiden Zurückspulen

ibwGxHuGzBbbZO.jpg

If you can get past the bad first episode and weird dolls, it's a surprisingly effective depiction of a psychologically damaged shut-in.

Space Dandy

iLU8GvU0ghiay.jpg

An anthology of stand-alone short films built around the framing device of a bumbling alien hunter and his wacky sidekicks.

Harmonie

i7rJtj2g8Q6tK.jpg

A short film about communication and miscommunication.

You've already watched cowboy bebop and flcl, probably 2 easy ones to get into.

I'm someone who isn't much into anime (tried a bunch and only got into or enjoyed a limited number of them), here's the ones I found easy to recommend:

To start with :
*Almost anything (movies) from studio ghibli: they're all really good , some a bit less than others but they are like disney or pixar were at their prime, they make consistently good films.
The art and animation is absolutely incredible, far above what you'll find in any animated series. They are so so good at storytelling and character exposition/building too.

Definitely watch "my neighbour totoro", "laputa castle in the sky" "grave of the fireflies", "nausicaa" and "ponyo"
But again (other than the cat returns) they're all awesome, I'd recommend and show these to anyone even people who couldn't give less of a shit about anime.

*Paprika : great animation and audio, it's quite surreal

I really enjoyed neon genesis evangelion but I watched it a long long time ago when I was 17,I'm not sure how much I'd enjoy it now I'm older.
If you're <20 you can't go wrong though.

I can also recommend full metal alchemist (also watched this almost 10 years ago)
It's also clearly aimed at teenagers or maybe young adults but there's probably enough in there for older people to enjoy.

The ghibli stuff and paprika are just movies, not long series, so they require no time investement (not deciding you hated it 12 episodes in)
Seriously watch the ghibli stuff

Necrovex

Best Sport Anime: Hajime No Ippo. It's seriously one of the greatest anime ever created, along with a stellar ass soundtrack. The characters are all memorable, and the hype for each fight is unbelievably high.

Best Sci-Fi Anime: Legend of the Galactic Heroes (I'm only 58 episodes in, and I am in love with it, but I'll warn you that it is fine wine, do not power through it.)

Best Shonen: I adore early One Piece. A lot of people recommend Hunter X Hunter, and it's a fairly good series, but I haven't reached the hype worthy items yet. Death Note is also a great anime, for at least the first half. When the first major arc ends, switch to the manga, then the anime adaption is shit.

Instro

I always post this whenever I give anime recs. NOTE: This is list is pretty outdated by now, so augment it with some newer stuff that people give in this thread.)

This is a good starter list, I would recommend pretty much everything on there. Texhnolyze is a must avoid though. Everything on Branduil's list as well.

This is probably super lazy of me but I'll just post my MAL list and say I recommend everything rated 7 and up: http://myanimelist.net/animelist/instro&show=0&order=4
It's a bit outdated, but otherwise there you go.

Jigolo

God damn that list you have recommended by GAFfers is glorious. LISTEN TO THESE PEOPLE OP.

I did "cmd+F" on the first page and didn't see it.

Kids on the Slope - Directed by Shinichir&#333; Watanabe

12 episodes. Short and sweet.

taco543

Ok! finally done making a spreadsheet in excel let me do some research and I'm going to post my comprehensive list of where I plan on starting!

Zukuu

Banned
Cromartie High School. (dubbed preferably)

Which monster wrote that? Norio Wakamoto voices the robot, who is the most bad ass voice actor in existence. And how can you watch ANY anime with a dub wtf.

Cromartie is a pretty crazy anime. I'm not sure if you can handle that. Detroit Metal City is just like that (and I even laughed a bit more) so I can recommend both. Dunno if they are up your alley tho.

Josephl64

tons of great shows have been listed already...even the great "Spice & Wolf"

That being said I'd add "Chihayafuru" and "Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora"

The latter is hit-or-miss, but it's one of my faves and only 6 eps despite some cheesy moments.

Ghost in the Shell: SAC - may as well be a Deus Ex anime. If you like cyberpunk, this is the way to go.

I remember liking the Escaflowne series alot when I was younger.

Full Metal Alchemist is alot better than I thought it was going to be, even if the main character is an obnoxious little prick.

These are good although FMA: Brotherhood loses me in the last 1/3 of the series.

I stick to older stuff mostly: Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Lensman, Ninja Scroll, any Ghibli film, Gunsmith Cats, Ghost in the Shell Standalone Complex, Cowboy Bebop, Dominion Tank Police, Appleseed, Green Legend Ran...

I thought Gurren Lagann was cool too.

taco543

Ok! so my plans are as such, to start I'm actually going to rewatch paranoia agent because for the life of me I can't remember the ending so it seems like a good enough reason to watch the whole series again!

Next my list in the order I plan to watch is:

Monster: I know I love space stuff but the plot seems trippy and I like the sounds of it so far...

Planetes: Seems interesting quite a few recommendations (5th most recommended) too, gonna gladly check it out.

Steins;Gate: Again seems cool short series with only 24 episodes.

Gurren Lagann: Mr. Farenheit I apologize lol. But the most recommended and the plot seems cool and honestly seems very interesting!

Gunslinger Girl: Only had 2 recommendations but a pretty interesting story so this is on there!

Ergo Proxy: I actually like the story being about androids and robots so this is in there too!

Alien Nine: Seems very short with only 4 episodes but I like the bodysnatcher esque plot.

Kids on the Slope: 12 episodes long I can't complain with that and the plot seemed cool.

And that's it hopefully I'll be into anime after giving some of these a try, I'm going to Binge watch paranoia agent but with the rest I'm going to take my time and enjoy the ride. and if the ride ends up being amazing and I don't want off I'm gonna take all the other recommendations too starting with JOJO! lol

Branduil

That's mostly a very good list to start with. Don't feel bad if you end up wanting to drop Ergo Proxy though, because it's pretty zzzzzzzzz.

Heroman

Banned
Ok! so my plans are as such, to start I'm actually going to rewatch paranoia agent because for the life of me I can't remember the ending so it seems like a good enough reason to watch the whole series again!

Next my list in the order I plan to watch is:

Monster: I know I love space stuff but the plot seems trippy and I like the sounds of it so far...

Planetes: Seems interesting quite a few recommendations (5th most recommended) too, gonna gladly check it out.

Steins;Gate: Again seems cool short series with only 24 episodes.

Gurren Lagann: Mr. Farenheit I apologize lol. But the most recommended and the plot seems cool and honestly seems very interesting!

Gunslinger Girl: Only had 2 recommendations but a pretty interesting story so this is on there!

Ergo Proxy: I actually like the story being about androids and robots so this is in there too!

Alien Nine: Seems very short with only 4 episodes but I like the bodysnatcher esque plot.

Kids on the Slope: 12 episodes long I can't complain with that and the plot seemed cool.

And that's it hopefully I'll be into anime after giving some of these a try, I'm going to Binge watch paranoia agent but with the rest I'm going to take my time and enjoy the ride. and if the ride ends up being amazing and I don't want off I'm gonna take all the other recommendations too starting with JOJO! lol

Good list but I see there is no Hunter x Hunter.

taco543

That's mostly a very good list to start with. Don't feel bad if you end up wanting to drop Ergo Proxy though, because it's pretty zzzzzzzzz.

That is good to know. It's kinda further down so I'll keep it in mind and hope it doesn't really put me to sleep lol

taco543

Good list but I see there is no Hunter x Hunter.

There's actually a reason for that, there's a ton of episodes! lol

plus it cut off for a while then continued then cutoff again then continued! lol I do plan on watching it I'd say after I give anime another try though lol

Defect

I didn't care for anime until I watched Welcome to the NHK. Seriously watch that asap. It's funny, depressing, realistic and it is on Netflix. (I recommend the dub.)

Also Chobits is alright.

Swamped

Banned
You already have an overflowing list of good/great anime! I just want to add that I was in a similar position to you. In my teens I was obsessed with anime and I'd be able to marathon stuff for hours on end. Then I stopped when I hit 20 for some reason, I just lost interest. Now at the age of 24 I'm back into it, but my tastes have obviously changed drastically. I don't have the stamina to marathon quite like I used to, but I don't have to because I'm far more into 12/24 episode shows. Stories that are succinct but make you feel like you've learnt a lot about the characters, shows that have beautiful art, or shows that don't have typical and predictable anime cliches.

With that in mind, here are some short anime that I enjoyed upon my 'return' to the anime world (some may be repeats, but that just emphasizes how good the show is):

1. Angel Beats
2. Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica
3. Fate/Zero
4. Tiger and Bunny
5. Hanasaku Iroha

BUT my favorite so far has been: Psycho-pass. And there's going to be a season 2 in October!

Looked over the OP's list and the thread, I am dissapoint that Madoka Magika has only been mentioned once and not on said list, for shame AnimeGAF.

OP, you ever recall the stereotypical magical girl anime? Now imagine it flipped over and rebuilt from the ground up, that's what Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magika is: a reconstruction of the magical girl anime that shows you the dark and cruel reality of the supposed genre.

It's a 12-episode anime series so not that long; its short length guarantees each episode has relevance and brings the plot forward. And the best thing is that it only takes 3 episodes for you to get hooked in which results in having your face look like this:

madoka_08_02.jpg

So watch it naow (or soon).

Edit: Similar works from the writer of Madoka Magica, Gen Urobuchi, include (but not limited to) Fate/Zero, Psycho-Pass, and the currently airing Aldnoah Zero

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'll just recommend Aria in case no one else has:
vi2J7Skl.jpg

It's just a breath of fresh air in terms of using a science fiction gimmick really well and in terms of embracing the whole mono no aware aspect that Japanese culture loves to represent in its fiction. It's one of the more optimist shows that I've watched in ages and I count it as my favourite anime.

Gintama would be a close second, since it's just one of the best shounens ever written and is simultaneously one of the funniest comedies as well.
Q1JfoxLl.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom