• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help me understand $15 minimum wage

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMattera

I will never comprehend the logic behind treating corporations better than people

What does that have to do with anything?

I started a company that employed college kids part-time. I paid them $10/hour. The shifts were 4-6 hours, 2 or 3 nights a week. I had 3 different employees. It was seasonal, and demand varied, and there was just no way to make it a full-time job.

My customers were happy. My employees were happy. They were just looking for some spending cash and didn't want a full-time job anyway. I provided a valid and desirable service and operated within the law. But apparently my business should've been banned?

The notion that every job should be a full-time, high paying job is simply nonsense.

Kwhit10

It's suppose to shift the cost of supporting lower income individuals from tax payers (Medicaid, welfare, food stamps, sec 8, etc.) to companies through paying higher wages. Which is a really good idea in and of itself. However, the companies can easily shift this back to the consumer by increasing prices.

TRios Zen

I would think Mom & Pop business that usually have really low profit margins would be affected the most, followed by smaller businesses.

I think the Wal-Marts of the world will do just fine though.

A possible interesting way to look at this or possibly dissect it further: Should minimum wage be equal to a living wage?

I ask this because I've seen this topic discussed with by some with this being a critical point.

Maxim726X

If it is left to the states, the Republican ones won't do anything.

I know, this is absolutely a fair argument. I do wonder if the focus on wages this election cycle will have any lasting effects, however.

Perhaps a more nuanced federal mandated increase would be more efficient? Based on costs of living?

Apharmd

Because it sounds utterly impossible to flatly apply to all companies and all age workers

Like I'm pretty sure I've read Wal Mart for example makes something like $1300 profit per employee and with the jump to $15 they would be losing over $4000 per employee

Surely there will be less jobs if every worker costs the company 30%+ more? Not that many companies are rolling in profits that could absorb that without reducing the work force

So if I understand correctly that people want a minimum $15 per hour for everyone, help me understand how that much more money goes into paychecks and gets balanced out with number of jobs available and company revenues

If there's a way, of course it would be good. I just don't see the way.

They would deal with it.

Like any labor regulation (or hell, regulations pertaining waste or safety for example), it is a cost of operation they will incur and survive. The claims of economic apocalypse and unemployment are minor, to be honest. Increased income for families in the poverty line will cause them to spend. They will not hold the money and save, they will inject it right back into the economy. Increased business causes hiring to go up again.

If shareholders are displeased that their profits are down, then the leaders of these companies need to manage up.

Because it sounds utterly impossible to flatly apply to all companies and all age workers

Like I'm pretty sure I've read Wal Mart for example makes something like $1300 profit per employee and with the jump to $15 they would be losing over $4000 per employee

Surely there will be less jobs if every worker costs the company 30%+ more? Not that many companies are rolling in profits that could absorb that without reducing the work force

So if I understand correctly that people want a minimum $15 per hour for everyone, help me understand how that much more money goes into paychecks and gets balanced out with number of jobs available and company revenues

If there's a way, of course it would be good. I just don't see the way.

The rollout for 15 Dollars is 1 dollar year over a year. If implemented it would first be 15 dollars sometime in 2022 or 2023 so it follows inflation.

Trickle down economics says that removing the minimum wage entirely could solve the unemployment job entirely. If it was 3-4 dollars, you could literally more endless amounts of jobs. More than enough for everyone, and in doing so it would drive up wages by open markets. This is also a libertarian proposal that thinks the capitalism god will adjust everything.
There are many reasons why a living wage is essential. Particularly in America where a historic number of people live paycheck to paycheck, meaning that a disaster or unfortunate luck can have grave consequences that set peoples lives back and discriminally hurt the weakest in society.
When you sign up for a living wage, it's not hopeless idealistic goal, but a desire from an populace that they are willing to collectively pay more for their products so people can make a living wage. If this is enforced at a national level it is something that all people have to deal with.

Mathunilx

Neo Member
The idea is to shift the return on capital from the owners to the labour applying work to the capital.

A higher minimum wage would shift the burden of welfare from the state to the employers.

A higher minimum wage would increase consumption which would further increase demand for labour.

The price of goods would rise but not anywhere near 1:1 because the cost of goods sold is not made up entirely of US minimum wage labour.

Came in to post this. Glad to see someone already posted it.

Also, higher minimum wage means people can buy more and companies can sell more, Higher aggregate demand is good for companies.

However we can always find some small problems that can arise from this practice but overall it's a good idea to raise minimum wages

milanbaros

Member?
It's suppose to shift the cost of supporting lower income individuals from tax payers (Medicaid, welfare, food stamps, sec 8, etc.) to companies through paying higher wages. Which is a really good idea in and of itself. However, the companies can easily shift this back to the consumer by increasing prices.

Can they? If they can easily raise prices with no downside why wouldn't they do it now? Competition on prices is strong in the US, so the idea of them neutralising all benefit of a higher minimum wage with inflation seems unlikely.

Here is how I've always seen this:

Cost of living has gone up in almost every area of the country in every aspect. Ranging from the cost of Soda to the cost of a 2 bedroom house on 1/3rd of an acre.

Not to mention interest rates.

Yet, somehow, minimum wage hasn't kept up. It's limping along behind, catching it's breath every so often, but steadily losing distance between cost of living.

Despite this, a lot of very large companies over the past 10+ years have been reporting record profits. And it's no wonder where those profits are coming from. It's natural escalation.

I realize I specified large companies, and that increasing minimum wage would hurt smaller businesses, but I have little to no sympathy for them. Probably because I've seen crazy stupid nepotism go on in most small businesses that make me feel like they deserve a kick in the pants.

(I literally supervised the owners daughter who's sole job was to take pictures of inventory. She got paid $1000 a week for what amounted to roughly 8 hours of work.)

Anyway, point is, if minimum wage doesn't keep up with cost of living, then something has to give. We tried debt, that didn't go over very well, and was incredibly short sighted. Despite the fact that the economy is doing better, people still aren't spending money (because most of them are either saving, or working of crazy amount of loans).

I've never heard a good counter argument to this point, but I would love a healthy back and forth on this, because I genuinely want to know how people think on the other side of the fence.

Furyous

So if I understand correctly that people want a minimum $15 per hour for everyone, help me understand how that much more money goes into paychecks and gets balanced out with number of jobs available and company revenues.

You don't get it and that is fine. It's not my job to understand it as you clearly lean towards the conservative side of this argument. Why does more money have to go into paychecks and balance out company revenues? People earning $15 an hour now shouldn't get bumped up to $30 an hour because someone that made $7.25 an hour now makes $22.25 an hour. This helps the economy as people on the low end just trying to get by contribute more to the economy. Everyone's whining over poor people not paying income taxes goes out the window when everyone makes $31,200 a year.

*EDIT*

After looking at data in the most expensive cities in the US people making $15 an hour are still struggling to survive but at least the burden is eased a bit. It's not like they suddenly become millionaires after a rage hike. Wal-Mart is the last corporation anyone should have sympathy for.
It's not average Joe's job to reconcile the need for a livable wage over the interests of investors mad they won't receive a supple dividend. Take your business to the UK, China or another country if this "draconian" idea of a livable wage hurts you so much.

It's a case by case business. All employers are different and all employees are different. $15 would be too high for many smaller businesses so they'd either cut down on staff or start making a loss and many of the big businesses would cut down on staff to make up for the pay increase they'd have to give the better employees.

If you cut down on staff you cut down on productivity and make even less money then just paying people the increased minimum wage.

People who oppose minimum wage increase have no clue about running a business.

People who are making minimum wage right now have to work multiple jobs thus lowering their productivity.

Question what will happen to the people already making $15/hr working in higher skilled positions?

Will those people be happy to continue doing their jobs that has higher skill requirements (+ maybe degree) for what is essentially now a minimum wage?

Gutek

We're heading towards the biggest economic crash in human history. There will only be a few super rich and everybody else will be poor in about 40 years if we continue on the trajectory we are on. We need change, NOW.

BumRush

If the minimum living wage gets raised to $15 companies will fire half the working force. Enjoy your extra millions of unemployed people. (And therefore an economic crisis).

How do people not understand this. If a sweeping change was applied to raise the minimum wage unemployment would instantly be the highest it's ever been.

How do people not understand this. If a sweeping change was applied to raise the minimum wage unemployment would instantly be the highest it's ever been.

And companies can function with less staff? Companies aren't going to destroy their productivity and revenue just because they have to pay their low wage employees a couple more dollars.

Armaros

If you cut down on staff you cut down on productivity and make even less money then just paying people the increased minimum wage.

People who oppose minimum wage increase have no clue about running a business.

People who are making minimum wage right now have to work multiple jobs thus lowering their productivity.

Being against 15 dollar federal minimum wage is not being against increasing minimum wage.

get that false dichotomy out of here.

if you cant even argue for 15 without trying to painting everyone against 15 dollars as greedy conservatives, this thread is worthless.

Question what will happen to the people already making $15/hr working in higher skilled positions?

Will those people be happy to continue doing their jobs that has higher skill requirements (+ maybe degree) for what is essentially now a minimum wage?

$15 for "high skilled positions" is a doubtful thing. Even at $15 an hour that's only ~30K a year. That's not exactly "high skilled" from a salary stand point. That falls right in line with entry level office jobs.

I always feel like $15 minimum wage proponents have zero understanding of businesses and the economy and a complete inability to play through scenarios in their head. They act like raising the minimum wage (doubling it in most areas) will have zero effect on employment numbers. But that's obviously not true. If you double the cost of anything, there will be less demand for it (if gas prices rise, you try to drive less). Less demand for workers at $15/hr means more unemployment for low wage workers.

Even if businesses can keep most or all of their employees, a $15/hr employee is different from an $8/hr employee. You expect more out of a $15/hr employee, because you're paying him more. They need to justify their high cost to the business. There's a reason low-skill employees make low wages, because each individual employee contributes a small amount to the business. It's only through the accumulation of skills over time that an employee becomes more valuable and justifies a higher wage.

Forcing employers to treat all new hires as $15/hr employees means that only the employees with the most potential value will be hired, which hurts teenagers, because they haven't had a chance to accumulate any skills, and minorities, because their cultural and economic backgrounds lead to a lower accumulation of pre-employment skills, such as time management and communication.

If you think it through, it's impossible to both argue that minorities are systematically underprivileged due to their backgrounds AND that a $15 minimum wage will help them, because a $15 minimum wage makes it harder for people from different social backgrounds to find entry-level jobs at which they can learn the skills necessary to be better workers. But most people don't think it through, and most people don't really want a $15 minimum wage to help the lowest-skill workers. They want it to help themselves.

smurfx

get some go again
i prefer hillary's approach to this. make the minimum a little higher like 13 and then let cities and states decide if they want to make it higher.

Maxim726X

And companies can function with less staff?

Probably? That's not really the point, though.

Historically, the lower the unemployment rates, the higher the demand for workers and thus higher wages for all.

Increasing unemployment by as much as this mandate could is at least worth considering.

JdFoX187

Banned
Wages need to be increased, on that I agree.

As much as I hate to sound like a conservative here... It should be a state issue. For as many have echoed, $15 is a lot of money depending on where you live, or isn't much at all depending on where you live.

The problem with leaving it as a state issue is you have states like Oklahoma, where our wonderful governor signed a bill into law last year that banned any minimum wage increases. If it was purely left to the state governments, the vast majority of GOP-run states would probably outright abolish minimum wage requirements or severely limit them.

A significant problem I have with higher minimum wage is that they would put certain unskilled jobs or jobs that don't require a college education at the same level of pay as skilled jobs or jobs with a college education. So then they would have to adjust skilled/college educated jobs at a higher pay to compensate for the $15 minimum wage. This would be a huge economical problem.

kirblar

I don't know how we skipped past $10 minimum wage.
Because "Fight for $15" has an advertising campaign behind it.
The problem with leaving it as a state issue is you have states like Oklahoma, where our wonderful governor signed a bill into law last year that banned any minimum wage increases. If it was purely left to the state governments, the vast majority of GOP-run states would probably outright abolish minimum wage requirements or severely limit them.
You can't fix people voting for very dumb representation, unfortunately.

massoluk

Banned
So for everyone opposing any sort of increase in minimum wage, how do you expect any local business to grow if the citizens have no money to spend on them?

Yo, I support the increase of minimum wage, it should be like $10-$12 or something on the national level. $15 is just too much outside the like of urban areas

Being against 15 dollar federal minimum wage is not being against increasing minimum wage.

get that false dichotomy out of here.

15 follar minimum wage is what the min wage should/would have been if we never stopped increasing it.

So yes, you are against increasing min wage if you are against 15 dollar min wage, or atleast against increasing it some of the time for whatever reason.

Armaros

15 follar minimum wage is what the min wage should/would have been if we never stopped increasing it.

So yes, you are against increasing min wage if you are against 15 dollar min wage, or atleast against increasing it some of the time for whatever reason.

Show me the math that 15 dollar UNIVERSAL (AKA FEDERAL) minimum wage is what we would have arrived at for the entire country.

Maxim726X

An absolutely valid point, and one that I addressed earlier.

TI82

Banned
This is a scary road to go down. In what world does this make any sense?

Business owners are taking a huge risk and if they have zero responsibility to pay entry level workers a "living" wage.

Min wage isn't meant to be a living wage. It's a starter job to gain skills. Skills equals more money.

The quoted message is literally the argument used to instate the original minimum wage...

Pagusas

Elden Member
One thing I always wondered about, people say that by increasing to a $15 minimum wage we'd see productivity increases. Where in the world do people get that idea from? If a person is lazy and working the minimum wage, they are still going to be lazy working the new minimum wage. They could not get paid any less than what they are, they still have no incentive to work harder (other than of course to excape a minimum wage lifestyle, but it seems many people dont actually think that way).

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
I was under the impression that the $15/hour rate was only for high cost of living areas and the increases everywhere else would scale proportionately. A universal $15 minimum would be disastrous without a basic income.

People on the top are making too money in comparison to the lower level positions.
Some CEO's of the oil industry are making more money despite these companies struggling with losses and have to layoff people. So the increase in minimum wage would come from there.

This would also bolster the economy as people in the lower income bracket tend to spend more.

Wage discrepancy is the problem IMO.

Gutek

One thing I always wondered about, people say that by increasing to a $15 minimum wage we'd see productivity increases. Where in the world do people get that idea from? If a person is lazy and working the minimum wage, they are still going to be lazy working the new minimum wage. They could not get paid any less than what they are, they still have no incentive to work harder (other than of course to excape a minimum wage lifestyle, but it seems many people dont actually think that way).

We get it. People should not be able to afford housing and food if they are 'lazy". Fuck em, right?

Dr.Acula

Banned
CEO pay is crazy out of wack with the rest of the labour force. There's no reason there needs to be people making millions in the executive class while the general work force suffers. By instituting a high minimum wage, it forces companies to restructure their wage system to be more fair -just kidding, they fire people and blame the government for "making them" despite maintaining grossly inflated earnings for the executives.

It also puts a lot of stress on everyone outside that executive class in terms of the tax system. While the rich can invest heavily and support themselves off capital gains and pay for tax lawyers and shelters, the average middle-class person has to pay into the public services which help those people living below the poverty line.

A higher minimum wage should lower (or reallocate) the taxes, and raise the pay for everyone but the 1%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom