• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HENKaku -- Vita Homebrew and more comes to all 3.60 Vitas

RK128

Would trying this remove the ability to use the PSN Store? As I would try this out for Genesis & SNES emulation.....but I don't want to lose access to PSN :(.

Though portable Sonic 3 Complete makes this tempting.....

Shifty1897

I've spent my entire lunch break trying to get this to work.

Crashes every time after the Welcome to Henkaku message.

I've tried 20 times, rebooting, I cleared cache, cookies, even rebuilt the Vita's database.

Sigh.

Finally got Henkaku installed, but now I can't get my PC to connect to my Vita through Filezilla or FireFTP. "Error: could not connect to server." I've turned off every bit of security on my network, forwarded ports, tried DMZ, and reset my router to factory settings.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Will have to try this on my PSTV. Don't think I have the old whitelist hack working anymore so this will be good for that, at least.

Tailzo

I've spent my entire lunch break trying to get this to work.

Crashes every time after the Welcome to Henkaku message.

I've tried 20 times, rebooting, I cleared cache, cookies, even rebuilt the Vita's database.

Sigh.
Same, but I keep trying :)
When it says welcome to HENkaku, should I stop JavaScript?

edit: stopping JavaScript did not help

Any way yet to "sideload" non-PS store PS1 or PSP games with this?

Give it a few days and we will probably have a solution.

Hoping someone can spin this into some thing permanent or start a decent CFW scene for the Vita. Would be shocked if Sony doesn't push out a 3.61 to block this. Stopping people from having another reason to use the Vita is about the only motivator for them at this point. Not that I don't get it of course - piracy's shitty and inevitable with something like this, even if just on the PSP/PS1 side - but still.

unrealist

It is possible to run VHBL (homebrew loader) using PBOOT method on the HENkaku exploit. From there we can use the native PSP / PSX emulator

Hopeford

I can't update my vita to the most current firmware for a couple days since I'm our of town - will there be a way to upgrade only to this current firmware if Sony issues an update?

Like, can I update the firmware via USB to the firmware required for this to work if Sony makes a more recent firmware?

Give it a few days and we will probably have a solution.

Hoping someone can spin this into some thing permanent or start a decent CFW scene for the Vita. Would be shocked if Sony doesn't push out a 3.61 to block this. Stopping people from having another reason to use the Vita is about the only motivator for them at this point. Not that I don't get it of course - piracy's shitty and inevitable with something like this, even if just on the PSP/PS1 side - but still.
Once this has PSP/PS1 support, I'll probably get it right away, until then I guess I'll avoid updating my vita. I think Axiom Verge is the only PSN game I've been wanting to buy, so maybe I'll do that now in case I lose store access.

Pretty much all I want to do wih my Vita that I can't currently do is to be able to play Marvel Ultimate Alliance PSP, Crisis Core, and the PS1 games I own that aren't supported in the US (Like Spyro and Crash).

No way....

Winrar can do this really easy I figured:

- download winrar
- in the folder select all the files you want in a .zip
- add to archive
- in the tab above go from general to files
- under archive select 'each files in a seperate archive'

don't forget under general to set zip under archive format. Alle the files will be good now! enjoy

Sophia

Winrar can do this really easy I figured:

- download winrar
- in the folder select all the files you want in a .zip
- add to archive
- in the tab above go from general to files
- under archive select 'each files in a seperate archive'

don't forget under general to set zip under archive format. Alle the files will be good now! enjoy

7Zip can do this in a single click, because it adds an "Achrieve to <filename>.zip" option to the right click menu once installed. Don't even need to load the program.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I compiled a short list of very FAQs. Feel free to use it in the OP, if it helps avoid getting the same questions twice in every page.

What can I do with HENkaku?
HENkaku is a native Vita exploit that allows for full control of the system. Right now, the main appeal is using emulators ported to the Vita itself, outside of the ePSP environment. More will surely come in the next following days and weeks.

What firmware do I need to use this?
  • 3.60, which is the latest one at the time of writing (07/29).
Can I manually update to 3.60?
Can I use this on previous firmwares?
  • Nope.
Can I use this with future firmwares?
  • Ostensibly, no, since it's probably going to get "fixed" (i.e. patched) very soon.
Having to reinstall this every time I turn off my Vita blows! How can I make it permanent?
  • You can't, at least not yet. That's just the way it goes. We'll probably see a self-hosting installer in the next few days and an offline installer shortly after. Give it time.
What do I need to install emulators and homebrew applications on my Vita? Also, this program comes in .velf format...
  • HENkaku homebrew needs to be in the .vpk format. Developers are bound to update their files sooner rather than later. Give it some time.
Do I lose access to the PSN Store by installing this exploit?
  • No. At least, not due to the exploit itself. The only way you will lose access to the PSN Store is if Sony releases a new firmware. In that case, you'll probably have to decide between having native homebrew through HENkaku and buying stuff on the PSN Store.
  • You will have a short window in which Vita Update Blocker will work and you'll be able to "fake" your firmware version to access the PSN Store, though it's very short (a handful of days at best).
Can I play Vita games with this?
  • No, for the time being at least.
Can I play PSX games with this?
Can I play PSP games with this?
Will Sony ban me if I use this?
  • Short answer: probably not.
  • Long answer: probably not, since they have never banned anyone for using ePSP exploits, which were also shown in the Activity Log. If you're scared about being banned, don't install this and wait to see how it all develops in the next few weeks.
Can I use this to get rid of the infamous whitelist on PSTV?

7Zip can do this in a single click, because it adds an "Achrieve to <filename>.zip" option to the right click menu once installed. Don't even need to load the program.

Ow even better. I have 7zip but couldn't find it so ended up installing Winrar haha..

Tailzo

Troubleshooting

Error C1-6775-5 when launching molecularShell

You must run the HENkaku installer again. Follow the directions above.

The web browser shows grey &#8220;Please wait&#8230;&#8221; screen

This is normal. Just wait for it, eventually it should load the page and trigger the exploit.
Well it doesn't after having tried for 45 minutes, and I don't know how many times

The web browser crashes and an error report dialog appears BEFORE &#8220;Welcome to HENkaku&#8221; pops up
Yes, sometimes that happens

Press &#8220;OK&#8221; and try again. If the browser crashes more than three times in a row, you can quit the browser (Press the PS button and swipe the LiveArea page from the top right corner or hold the &#8220;O&#8221; or &#8220;X&#8221; button depending on your region). Then you can re-attempt installation.

Yes, I've done this so many times

The web browser crashes and an error report dialog appears AFTER &#8220;Welcome to HENkaku&#8221; pops up
This also happens sometimes

Press &#8220;OK&#8221; and try again. If this happens more than three times in a row, you should reboot the system and try again.

Reboot mens turning off and on again, right? Yeah, I've done that so many times now...

The device freezes or reboots after trying to install
This happened once, I was so happy, but then...

The installation has failed. Make sure you have a memory card inserted with at least 10MB of free space. If the device froze, hold the power button for 15 seconds to manually power off the device and then press the power button again to restart the device. You can then attempt to install again.

I did this

You need a memory card inserted even when using HENkaku with devices that come with built in memory, such as PS Vita Slim and PS TV.
I have that

Deleting cache
rebuilding database
Turning on and off
removing auto-start features for looking for updates + everything else in hat menu
Stopping JavaScript on the page

^Other stuff I've tried

How are the emulators on Vita so far and how current are they with respect to the main builds? Particularly interested in SNES9x, mGBA, and the Genesis one (can it do Sega CD?).

Shifty1897

Same, but I keep trying :)
When it says welcome to HENkaku, should I stop JavaScript?

edit: stopping JavaScript did not help

After an hour and a half, I got it to install. My god, never restarting my Vita ever.
Pro tip, the first 2089455 times I tried I already had nothing in the game cart slot. Shut it off, popped in Metal Gear Solid collection, tried it, it didn't work, deleted cookies, closed browser app, popped MGS collection out while the vita was still on at the menu screen, tried it, it worked.

Who knows. Just do weird stuff to your Vita. It'll work eventually.

Trace

Banned
An error has occurred in the following application

Tailzo

After an hour and a half, I got it to install. My god, never restarting my Vita ever.
Pro tip, the first 2089455 times I tried I already had nothing in the game cart slot. Shut it off, popped in Metal Gear Solid collection, tried it, it didn't work, deleted cookies, closed browser app, popped MGS collection out while the vita was still on at the menu screen, tried it, it worked.

Who knows. Just do weird stuff to your Vita. It'll work eventually.

Thanks, at least you motivated me to keep trying :)

An error has occurred in the following application :p

Mine worked right after I complained on Neogaf. You should try that one.

Haha, maybe I should try :p

*Makes angry face*

This thing is so bad, I am so very angry, *grumbly *grumbly* :p

Gu4n

In case anyone is interested: you can access the device's cartridge through "/gro0:" in your FTP software. Everything seems to be encrypted and the .psarc can't be opened with the currently existing tools.

Tailzo

I was hyped for Sonic 3&K on my Vita, but now that it's still not working, I realize I might need to do this for 2 hours every time my vita accidently is out of juice.

So I Guess I should just quit :)

Bittercup

Did you try this: when you get the error, click on the url and remove the go. part and click install again.
Once the error appeared it would just loop for me until going back to the install prompt.

Trace

Banned
Did you try this: when you get the error, click on the url and remove the go. part and click install again.
Once the error appeared it would just loop for me until going back to the install prompt.

It eventually worked for me, but don't worry I tried literally everything. I'm pretty sure none of these "tips" actually work, outside of clearing cookies. It eventually worked for me after like 7 restarts, a rebuild, and at least 30-40 browser crashes.

Btw, you can just Windows Explorer to connect via ftp, if for whatever reason you don't feel like installing an FTP software. (I got an error while trying to rename folders but creating/deleting folders and file transfers work fine)

kzqhoxd.jpg

maouvin

Would it be possible to change the screen's color temperature/calibration via homebrew? If so, does such thing exist already (that could be used on the Vita)?

Being able to properly calibrate the OLED screen would be great.

Trace

Banned
So I got it installed on my Vita, is there a guide to using Filezilla?

They aren't enabling piracy (of platforms available on PSN), it says in the OP.

The current system doesn't, I'd be amazed if someone didn't write a loader to do that though.

data

just type the url the vita gives you in the first text input thingy, let it connect, and just drag and drop to the right window with all the files.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

Oh, I just took that to mean Vita piracy.

I just want to make sure emulated PSX will be available sometime.
PSP would be nice, but I prefer them on my Go.

Top Bottom