• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HENSHIN!! Official Tokusatsu Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am enjoying this year's selection for Sentai and Kamen Rider... it doesn't seem as goofy as past years, yes GoOnger I'm looking at you... and Kiva last year was sort of a drag :(

Now what I'm really excited at is the fact that my favorite 80's sentai shows are getting released one by one, with this year FINALLY being the release of Dengeki Sentai Changeman to DVD... only 3 more years until Liveman...

vareon

RoryDropkick said:
I am enjoying this year's selection for Sentai and Kamen Rider... it doesn't seem as goofy as past years, yes GoOnger I'm looking at you... and Kiva last year was sort of a drag :(

Now what I'm really excited at is the fact that my favorite 80's sentai shows are getting released one by one, with this year FINALLY being the release of Dengeki Sentai Changeman to DVD... only 3 more years until Liveman...

This year's tokusatsu is quite good, really. Decade and Shinkenger are enjoyable, and I heard Rescue Fire is decent. Then there's Dragon Knight and RPM which was supposedly good, too. I wonder when will we get another original project like Garo, though. Might need to take a break from these franchises.

Edag Plata said:
I like this thread.

This thread is great, mainly because it's been relatively intelligent and no one's done the "heisei vs showa" or "Power Rangers Sucks" or anything like that, it's just people talking about Tokusatsu :)

Now as much as we are discussing the newer shows, does anyone have any other older favorites? I'm a huge, HUGE fan of Kaiketsu Zubat. In fact, before I had actually applied to Neogaf about 6 years ago with the name Hayakawa Ken, but that never got approved, and finally killed last year, with me getting my approval last night after signing up Feb 2008 :lol

Anyways, I enjoy that show. Hiroshi Miyauchi to me was a total badass back then, and Zubat was just made for him to show off his style. Other shows I dug back when I was little was Changeman, Bioman and Dynaman, along with Brazil's favorite tokusatsu series, Juspion.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Actually, I consider Heisei to be split into two - Old Heisei and New Heisei. Old Heisei in Sentai is Fiveman up to Timeranger, and New Heisei starts from the fagfest that is Gaoranger.

Edag88

Banned
RoryDropkick said:
This thread is great, mainly because it's been relatively intelligent and no one's done the "heisei vs showa" or "Power Rangers Sucks" or anything like that, it's just people talking about Tokusatsu :)

I just like it because its nice to know I'm not the only one into this stuff here on the board.

And wha?? I loved Gaoranger. Gaosilver was wild.

Boss Doggie

Gaoranger was too hippie.

And Gaosilver was meh. Generic brooding 6th ranger. Even Burai wasn't brooding and all!

Ookami-kun said:
Gaoranger was too hippie.

And Gaosilver was meh. Generic brooding 6th ranger. Even Burai wasn't brooding and all!

Gaoranger was pretty average... in fact I dont even think I remember the ending. The multiple robots got tiring, and I think the only saving grace was Gaoranger vs. Super Sentai, seeing Daisuke Shima come back to play Red Falcon made me very happy.

BioFan

Ookami-kun said:
Yeah, I agree. This year's toku is a blast!

I wonder how next year will be.

Yup!!
Both shows are awesome this year.
I'm more of a kamen rider fan but this is the first time that I enjoy sentai more than kamen rider though :D

Boss Doggie

I'm most likely the minority, but Gaoranger vs. Super Sentai was LAME LAME LAAAAAAAAAAME!

Instead of actually giving us an actual homage, we end up just seeing... CLIPS! REUSED CLIPS! Sure it had Big 1 and Red Falcon, but that was like... 25% of the total show.

Hell, people would curse me, but Forever Red actually did it better!

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Ookami-kun said:
I'm most likely the minority, but Gaoranger vs. Super Sentai was LAME LAME LAAAAAAAAAAME!

Instead of actually giving us an actual homage, we end up just seeing... CLIPS! REUSED CLIPS! Sure it had Big 1 and Red Falcon, but that was like... 25% of the total show.

Hell, people would curse me, but Forever Red actually did it better!

up until wild force red blew up serpentera with a damn bike. but it did make carter look like a much more competent ranger than he actually was.

Well, it's much easier doing a ten year anniversary than a 25 year one. :p

I mean, you can get most of the actors back from the last ten years if you try really hard, but its harder to get more people 25 years later, that's why it was so different. I mean, I loved the movie. The fact that they had an older member with a Gaoranger teaching them about a Sentai tradition was cool. It was more of a celebration, tribute than a real story driven movie.

vareon

RoryDropkick said:

Now as much as we are discussing the newer shows, does anyone have any other older favorites? I'm a huge, HUGE fan of Kaiketsu Zubat. In fact, before I had actually applied to Neogaf about 6 years ago with the name Hayakawa Ken, but that never got approved, and finally killed last year, with me getting my approval last night after signing up Feb 2008 :lol

Anyways, I enjoy that show. Hiroshi Miyauchi to me was a total badass back then, and Zubat was just made for him to show off his style. Other shows I dug back when I was little was Changeman, Bioman and Dynaman, along with Brazil's favorite tokusatsu series, Juspion.

MAYDAY MAYDAY SOS

Watched Winspector when I was an elementary school student and loved it, particularly loved Fire's helmet opening scene :D

It was a few DAYS ago when I realized that the police commander guy was played by Miyauchi and he was a tokusatsu legend.

Boss Doggie

Edag Plata said:
Well, it's much easier doing a ten year anniversary than a 25 year one. :p

I mean, you can get most of the actors back from the last ten years if you try really hard, but its harder to get more people 25 years later, that's why it was so different. I mean, I loved the movie. The fact that they had an older member with a Gaoranger teaching them about a Sentai tradition was cool. It was more of a celebration, tribute than a real story driven movie.

But you can do tribute while still being story driven! ;)

I mean, if they could get the actor for Big One, surely they could get the ones at least from Zyu.

Masamuna

Been watching a lot of Tokusatsu lately.

Finished Kiva last week. I enjoyed it, but after checking out a few more series it kinda gets worse over time. Still <3 Jiro/Garulu though. And Koji Seto's ginormous pouty lips.

Watching Decade as well. Love it so far, just don't really dig the K-Touch Complete design for Decade though.

I watched the first 30 episodes of Hibiki a couple months ago. Eh....

Most of my watching time is devoted to Faiz now. Absolutely enjoying myself.

Also watched a bit of Dekaranger and may start watching Dairanger and Shinkenger. Can anybody recommend a solid sentai series? Thinking about Time Ranger as well.

Boss Doggie

Generally a lot of the later Showa Sentai are good, like Jetman and Fiveman.

And it's Garuru D:

Snaku

Banned
Masamuna said:
Can anybody recommend a solid sentai series? Thinking about Time Ranger as well.

Dairanger, Jetman, and Timeranger are my favorites. You really can't go wrong with any of those three.

Masamuna

Ookami-kun said:
Generally a lot of the later Showa Sentai are good, like Jetman and Fiveman.

And it's Garuru D:

Meh, c/p'd the name from wiki. I usually just refer to him as my man-crush.

Dairanger, Jetman, and Timeranger are my favorites. You really can't go wrong with any of those three.

Alright, will look at Dairanger after i'm done with Faiz....and Kabuto....and maybe Den-O (recommendation from a friend).

So i just watched ep 2 of Kamen Rider black after weeks of watching the first ep and holyshit why did i even wait so long Black is so freaking cool.

vareon

Masamuna said:
Alright, will look at Dairanger after i'm done with Faiz....and Kabuto....and maybe Den-O (recommendation from a friend).

I find it strange that anyone would recommend Den-O.

Masamuna

vareon said:

IIRC its the only Kamen Rider series he's seen. He also swears by Gaoranger if that means anything.

So whats the deal with Den-O? I've noticed via several sites it gets a bit of hate, so what gives? My only experience with it is through Decade, so I don't have an opinion on it yet.

ReiGun

vareon said:
Stop hating.

momo7.gif

Calcaneus

Masamuna said:
IIRC its the only Kamen Rider series he's seen. He also swears by Gaoranger if that means anything.

So whats the deal with Den-O? I've noticed via several sites it gets a bit of hate, so what gives? My only experience with it is through Decade, so I don't have an opinion on it yet.
I kinda enojyed Den-O, but I guess its a combination of it being more kiddy/silly than most people like and the fact that it is being whored out because if the imagin. Basically it became somewhat "huge" because of things other than the actual.....well.."Kamen Riding".

But I thought it was okay , it was the first Kamen Rider show I've ever seen, though it fluctuated between kinda cool and pretty grating.

I enjoyed Den-O for what it was, I understand by comparison to some other shows why it got so much hate like someone already said the sillyness/often times confusing plot but I enjoyed it. I have to say though that it seems to be one of the most milked Rider franchises so far..

Snaku

Banned
ccarver3 said:
I have never seen any of this, but it looks awesome.

Where do I start?

You could give any of the current shows a try: Shinkenger or Kamen Rider Decade. Or try out any of my recommendations in the OP. :)

ReiGun

ccarver3 said:
I have never seen any of this, but it looks awesome.

Where do I start?
Like Snaku said, Decade and Shinkenger are as good a start as any. That where I first got into it.

You should also give Rescue Fire and Power Rangers RPM a quick look see if you're just gonna check out current stuff. If you want to see a slightly older sentai, I highly recommend Dekaranger.

ccarver3

Sounds good to me. I'll start with Shinkenger and go from there. Now from what I've read there a ton of Kamen Riders are these linked together in any way or completely separate? Just want to make sure I don't start watching in a twisted order.

On a side note Ookami-kun, what is your av from? Because that is just too cool looking.

ReiGun

ccarver3 said:
Sounds good to me. I'll start with Shinkenger and go from there. Now from what I've read there a ton of Kamen Riders are these linked together in any way or completely separate? Just want to make sure I don't start watching in a twisted order.

On a side note Ookami-kun, what is your av from? Because that is just too cool looking.
They're all pretty much unrelated. I think there may be some related series in the Showa Era (everything before Kamen Rider Kuuga), but I'm not entirely sure.

And his av is Doggy Kruger from Dekaranger. I'm answering for Ookami because it gives me an excuse to post this again.:D

vareon

ReiGun said:
Stop hating.

momo7.gif

:lol I don't hate Den-O at all. But if someone asks "Hey I'm interested in this bugmen fighting series, what should I watch now?" I certainly won't recommend them Den-O first.

Boss Doggie

Yeah it's Dekamaster!

To be honest, without him, I wouldn't be interested in Dekaranger at all. Tetsu Inada definitely played the role quite amazingly.

Just watched ZyuRanger ep 1 and holy shit Rita er Bandora was a freaking badass in this series as compared to Mighty Morphin Power Ranger.

BioFan

Man Kamen Rider Black is fuck awesome up to ep 4 now (yeah i know taking my time with this one) Black seems like he might end up being the most badass rider.

Apharmd

let's see if we (most importantly i) can continue to keep the thread civil instead of devolving into gigantic manchildren that's stereotyped to watch these kinds of shows

tbh, i think den-o just gets hate on other websites because as one poster put it, it's not "kamen rider" enough. but to be fair, i'm not sure people have the actual definition of "kamen rider" down. half the time i'm led to believe the people who complain about this stuff just wanted to see more cool, disconnected fights like kabuto as opposed to something that has more effort put into the writing. otherwise they wouldn't be clamoring against stuff like hibiki too, which was as kamen-rider-ey as it gets sans the bug eyes and antennae. oh, and the giant evil organization isn't actually evil but is competent and helps out the riders.

actually, on that topic, hibiki first half was one of the best shows i've ever seen, and the second half made me want to kill myself. i couldn't believe how the new writers handled everything, honestly. it felt like they were crushing all my favorite characters out of spite and malice.

the coup de grace
was when the stupid self-insert transformed into an oni in the final episode with instrumental of the second OP playing in the background while asumu was slackjawed.
i was like okay, now they're just fucking with me. 10/10, i fell for it all the way through, this is pro trolling right here

in any case, right now i just finished watching all of shinkenger that's available so far, including watching the crossover arc with Decade live. honestly, i'm one of the most elitist nerds out there regarding this tokusatsu stuff (i haven't touched any other ultraman than nexus and this is my first sentai), but i freaking love everything i've seen so far from this show. well-choreographed fights and well-fleshed out characters with good actors? it's great stuff. utterly great stuff. i mean fuck, this team of writer and director made even decade, which had been utterly bad the last two arcs, magically became good again WITH KUUGA SCORING A KILL FUCK YEAH YOU GO YUUSUKE

sorry. :x

ccarver3

I'm about two episodes shy of being caught up on Shinkenger, and I couldn't agree more.

I've not watched any of this stuff before and I have to admit I went into it thinking it was going to be really bad, but I was way off.

The fighting is great, the stories don't feel like flat Saturday morning cartoons but real shows.

I'm glad I tried this, now I'm looking forward to Decade and that cross-over.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone, you've made a fan out of me.

vareon

So this week concludes the first official Kamen Rider and Super Sentai crossover, and next week begins the first official Heisei and Showa KR crossover? F yeah.

And I'm quite glad that Ayakashi-Diend didn't turn into a giant :lol

Welcome back, Tetsuo Kurata. We missed you.

Apharmd

Decade Net movies are finally available now! Only five files are out, with five more being released on 7/24. They're freely available on TV-Asahi's website, but since navigating through there is quite difficult only Japanese IP addresses can view them someone put them up on youtube.

They're friggin' hilarious.

ReiGun

690660f36bad__1247919539000.jpeg

Here's a little souvenir from my trip to Otakon this weekend. Figured Toku-Gaf might get a kick out of it. I was honestly surprised to find other Kamen Rider fans there. And apparently, so were the cosplayers I ran into, since they looked so surprised when I asked for pictures all excited. :lol

I wonder if we'll ever see the Rekka Daizantou card again. Probably not, but it would be cool for him to use it at least once more.

Next stop: RX world!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom