• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Her Story | Spoiler Thread

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I'm still on team "from an alternate universe"

OR

new team,

They were born, not as "twins", but as one person who was split in two, and separated at birth.

We going mystic on this bitch

Edit: on this bitch as in the game, not the lady mind you >_>

Archurro

Where's the tattoo?

HcYeCNN.jpg

POSj30V.jpg

I noticed that as well, but I'm starting to side more on the split-personality theory. A lot of things just make more sense, and it answers the question of "what happened to Hannah/Eve" if they are the same person.

Overall brilliant game though. Just brilliant.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
It was just a rub-on tattoo guys :p

Smurfs_Tattoos_Assortment_Topps.jpg

Please? :(

Inkwell

Banned
Honestly the split personality theory makes the most sense. The idea of twins pulling all of that off seems about fat fetched. Plus you have hints like the name Eve, or there's the mirror game that you play with yourself.

Something else too. Now I may be wrong, but I seem to remember a clip about naming her child. She didn't want it to have a palindrome for a name. Maybe the mirrored names symbolize the disorder, and maybe part of her knew she had it. By not naming her child that way maybe she thought her child would somehow not have the disorder. Or maybe I'm just over-thinking things. It's late here too. I should sleep but can't stop thinking about the game.

Rhaknar

No the name thing is totally important. It also makes sense why her psyche would name her Eve, which is like Hannah, a palindrome

Karkador

Banned
Another thing perhaps lending credence to the split personality theory is that there is that "mirror game" in the trash bin of the computer.

Well, the peculiar thing is that it doesn't have an AI; it's meant for 2 players, so either another player sits next to you to play, or you play with it as if you're playing against yourself.

Rhaknar

Another thing perhaps lending credence to the split personality theory is that there is that "mirror game" in the trash bin of the computer.

Well, the peculiar thing is that it doesn't have an AI; it's meant for 2 players, so either another player sits next to you to play, or you play with it as if you're playing against yourself.

That's what's bumming me out, everything (well most) points to split personality, it just fits better. Maybe they thought that shirt had longer sleeves that day of filming or something and didn't think ppl would notice

Sera O

Banned
I'm still on team "from an alternate universe"

OR

new team,

They were born, not as "twins", but as one person who was split in two, and separated at birth.

I like the way you think. I can enjoy it a lot more if I read it as a kind of doppelganger horror fable, fairytale, or something other than a crime story where my brain demands loose ends be tied. Her Story operates more on that gothic level, and the images are really in line with that. Bodies in the cellar, secret people living in the attic, busted mirrors, distorted reflections everywhere.

One is fertile, the other is diseased. One can live in light, the other in shadow. One pushes down and the other is submerged. It reminds me of some German horror stories I've read that use the twinning/doppelganger device. All this shit goes down in order to restore the 'natural' state of only one of them existing. It's like there is only room for one of them, and they need to battle it out for that one place - in the parents' home, in the marriage, as the mother, etc.

Karkador

Banned
I like the way you think. I can enjoy it a lot more if I read it as a kind of doppelganger horror fable, fairytale, or something other than a crime story where my brain demands loose ends be tied. Her Story operates more on that gothic level, and the images are really in line with that. Bodies in the cellar, secret people living in the attic, busted mirrors, distorted reflections everywhere.

One is fertile, the other is diseased. One can live in light, the other in shadow. One pushes down and the other is submerged. It reminds me of some German horror stories I've read that use the twinning/doppelganger device. All this shit goes down in order to restore the 'natural' state of only one of them existing. It's like there is only room for one of them, and they need to battle it out for that one place - in the parents' home, in the marriage, as the mother, etc.

uh huh, definitely some of this

Barryman

I totally botched the chat prompt when it came up - "yes" and then "no." Oops...

Now I don't know how (if?) I can bring it back. What happens with other responses?

I just played this game obsessively and unlocked almost everything, but even though I love it, some things about it kind of annoy me. Like, why are these video clips in the system fragmented to begin with? The way someone would actually go about trying to solve this case would be to just watch all of the interviews from start to finish...

Rhaknar

rewatching some of the tattoo related videos to see if she gave a date when she got it, she doesnt, but in one she (Eve) says she got it to express her individuality, and the other she talks about how she moved out, got her tattoo, started singing in bars, she didnt put down roots because she doesnt exist

jim-carrey-liar-liar-oh-come-on-angry-its-enough.gif

I need to believe the intention is split personality and they just botched the tattoo scenes or something >_<

edit: aldo used the admin_random to get all the videos I was missing. most were useless (how she likes coffee or yes / no on the polugraph) but one in particular, she talks about a funeral (Simon? but wouldnt the body be held up for investigation) and how they wore veils, and hannah served sandwiches while she stayed in the back, watching...yeah because YOU DONT EXIST! damn you tattoo!!! >_<

XRA

Neo Member
another way to get clips or help filter untagged stuff is search for BLANK (the default tag) :)

one thought about the bruise, it happens on interview 2, about a week after she is first in reporting Simon as missing...

I think one or both of them are formulating a plan to get away with it during that timeframe before the second interview.

If it is split personality, she might have gotten the bruise while moving the body into the cellar, as Eve (as she/they mention in later clips, when talking about the alibi)- possibly even by cleaning, getting the bags from the kitchen or the tape (actually hitting head on cabinet as she said).. if it were by cleaning then I imagine it was "real" Hannah not knowing about the body.

if it is twins or...some other manifestation, it could have been caused by some confrontation between both of them, after Simon is killed- maybe the real Hannah does think Simon is missing and then finds out, lashes out at Eve or threatens... Eve hits her bruising her face.. because Eve doesn't want this "game" of rules to end... (which she later states the most important thing is Hannah, not Simon)

I think that day 2 Hannah is the real hannah, and possibly day 1 is Eve.
Day 3 Hannah is definitely Eve IMO, just by body language compared to day2 Hannah.

I dont know... man lol

*edit*
The other thing too is, maybe Hannah doesn't have split personalities, and she just invents it to try to somehow get out of the situation by confusing the story. It would cover her getting that tattoo and other body language that starts to really show up in day 3 onward. OR maybe it is actually manifesting throughout, from the trauma of whatever did happen with Simon...

Karkador

Banned
I just played this game obsessively and unlocked almost everything, but even though I love it, some things about it kind of annoy me. Like, why are these video clips in the system fragmented to begin with? The way someone would actually go about trying to solve this case would be to just watch all of the interviews from start to finish...

Yeah it's a rather large contrivance that you can't just play the damn videos in sequence, since they seem to be lined up in order on the server grid thing.

Same thing with the limitation that you only see 5 search results for any keyword, meaning that you have to try to use more specific words to get narrower results.

But these are pretty much the only things that make this "a game", so they're necessary

Rhaknar

vCC9LcM.gif

bruise explained bitches!

I need some sleep, fucking game man...

Yeah it's a rather large contrivance that you can't just play the damn videos in sequence, since they seem to be lined up in order on the server grid thing.

Same thing with the limitation that you only see 5 search results for any keyword, meaning that you have to try to use more specific words to get narrower results.

But these are pretty much the only things that make this "a game", so they're necessary

the game itself explains in the REALLYREADME.txt that the videos were mostly lost in the transition from tapes to the new system and this is all thats left, most of it was destoryed

Karkador

Banned
the game itself explains in the REALLYREADME.txt that the videos were mostly lost in the transition from tapes to the new system and this is all thats left, most of it was destoryed

pfft, who reads readmes

so somehow the videos are all perfectly subtitled and searchable (which means these are soft subtitles), but the videos have no timecode or timestamp of any kind? :p

Rhaknar

but somehow the videos are all perfectly subtitled and searchable (which means these are soft subtitles), but the videos have no timecode or timestamp of any kind? :p

dude the subtitles are for you as a player, they are under the same options where you can get rid of the glare and make it all shiny

and the readme is on the game's screen btw, its part of the UI :p

Karkador

Banned
dude the subtitles are for you as a player, they are under the same options where you can get rid of the glare and make it all shiny

Right, but I presume that the way the keyword search of the system works is by searching through the subtitle text (I mean in the game world, too, not just the...our world.....it's different worlds, right?)

Rhaknar

Right, but I presume that the way the keyword search of the system works is by searching through the subtitle text (I mean in the game world, too, not just the...our world.....it's different worlds, right?)

ok fine but now you are REALLY REALLY nitpicking. I mean I was earlier but come on :p

Karkador

Banned
Nah, don't worry, it's not a complaint. Contrivances happen.

I'm waiting until I 100% the game to really give a review-like opinion, but I really do think the "game" elements of this are pretty slim. It's intriguing anyhow, but I might have paid $10 for a few more game things in the game.

IcyStorm

edit: aldo used the admin_random to get all the videos I was missing. most were useless (how she likes coffee or yes / no on the polugraph) but one in particular, she talks about a funeral (Simon? but wouldnt the body be held up for investigation) and how they wore veils, and hannah served sandwiches while she stayed in the back, watching...yeah because YOU DONT EXIST! damn you tattoo!!! >_<

A funeral is discussed twice: 1) ClipD151~A (June 30 15:41:20; filename D402.avi in your game directory) when she mentions funeral preparations for Simon but she is waiting on hearing back from the coroner; 2) ClipD186~A (July 3 11:51:33; filename D749.avi) when she mentions the funeral for Hannah/Eve's parents.

That's why after "finishing" Her Story, I watched ALL of the videos in sequence again to try to make better sense of everything. Use the game directory and load them up in a playlist in WMP or VLC or something.

Feep

Banned
The only explanation for the tattoo with split personality is that it's a temporary tattoo that she continuously applied and removed.

I was leaning toward twins? I got the sense that the cops were bringing in both sisters, knowing they were there, but the sisters were unaware that the other was also in with them. There's a video from July 2nd in which Eve is like "Twins? You serious brah?" It also explains the very rehearsed, near-identical alibis we hear from both of them on consecutive days (30th and 1st). But then...Eve thinks Hannah is dead? So that part doesn't quite make sense...

Playing this in the middle of the night was a bad idea. I screamed when I saw the face appear in the reflection of the monitor when I was watching one of the later interviews.

Metal B

The only explanation for the tattoo with split personality is that it's a temporary tattoo that she continuously applied and removed.
Since she uses disguises, when she goes around as Eve (like playing in the bar), having a fake tattoo wouldn't be a stretch.

justjim89

I really wanna believe it's twins, but the split personality thing fits. Ugh. Unreliable narrators are tricky things. Gonna take my time to wrap my head around this one. Anytime I became confused as to which one was which I just surmised that they were just playing the switching game with the cops, with different ones going in different days.

By the way, Eve says Simon joked with her about her tattoo, so it's not a new thing. But she could've been lying and got a new tattoo to corroborate. But that doesn't make sense because she's supposed to be Hannah. Ugh. I'm overthinking this and giving myself a headache.

I really want it to be twins. Just makes the story more fun to me.

Shibalan

Playing this in the middle of the night was a bad idea. I screamed when I saw the face appear in the reflection of the monitor when I was watching one of the later interviews.
The reflection is the only downside of the game imo. It's a scary effect, potentially off-putting for the "non-gamers" in an otherwise perfect game for this population. And it has little to no interest (you can't recognize the face, nore tell if it's a man or a woman, and the final dialog is plenty enough to understand that you're not an average detective)

In other words, I can't tell my gf to play this game without warning her that "yeah, beware of one or two scary thing". And I know she will not want to try after that.

(Yeah, I know I can disable the reflection but I wanted to complain, and the global "screen shader" is great, it's a shame to bypass it because of this)

peakish

One thing I noted about the twins/multiple personality business is that the investigators at one point are getting in on the twin thing and asks her straight out. They were also asking around about some fingerprints which were found in her bedroom and couldn't be identified, although both of these questions might be red herrings. After all, the investigators were still trying to figure things out, and we never get an actual confirmation of the fingerprints being different (although for some reason the investigators return to it in a later clip, again suggesting that they think something's off).

I just downloaded the game, trying to avoid spoilers obviously, but am I not supposed to be able to play the videos right at the start of the game? I just watched a part 1 playthrough and the guy could play the videos straight away. Am I supposed to install something?

Edit: Please quote me so I know I'm not reading a post about the story content.

Metal B

They were also asking around about some fingerprints which were found in her bedroom and couldn't be identified, although both of these questions might be red herrings. After all, the investigators were still trying to figure things out, and we never get an actual confirmation of the fingerprints being different (although for some reason the investigators return to it in a later clip, again suggesting that they think something's off).

Eve (not the Hannah part) properly slept with other mans at home. Hannah and Eve herself explained, that Eve was a slut.

Metal B

I just downloaded the game, trying to avoid spoilers obviously, but am I not supposed to be able to play the videos right at the start of the game? I just watched a part 1 playthrough and the guy could play the videos straight away. Am I supposed to install something?

Edit: Please quote me so I know I'm not reading a post about the story content.

The question is not "Did she do it ?", but "Why did she do it?" and how everything fits together.
Edit: Sorry for the doppelpost, but otherwise i would spoil him.

personally i'm leaning towards the twins option for a series of reasons (tattoo, bruise, rehersed statement, like when they were young they used a very detailed diary to get on the same page, etc.) but i can't honestly exclude the split personality option.

for me it's kinda a schroedinger's cat situation... both options are true and untrue at the same time. And it's beautiful that way. I hope Sam Barlow never discloses the real "truth", because it would really kill most of the enjoyment i got out of this game.

It seems to me that by the end, Eve has fully taken over and killed off the Hannah personality, perhaps to try and avoid jail time. She talks as if Hannah is dead. Taps "Bye Hannah" on the table, and says "How can you arrest someone that doesn't exist?".

Waxwing

I was leaning toward twins? I got the sense that the cops were bringing in both sisters, knowing they were there, but the sisters were unaware that the other was also in with them. There's a video from July 2nd in which Eve is like "Twins? You serious brah?" It also explains the very rehearsed, near-identical alibis we hear from both of them on consecutive days (30th and 1st). But then...Eve thinks Hannah is dead? So that part doesn't quite make sense...

I think the cops have just started to figure out on July 2nd the game that the twins are playing on them. They're alternating days (deliberately) in explaining the story so they can explain the parts that they know the best. For unavoidable things, they've agreed on word-for-word explanations, but to really sell things like Glasgow, they need Eve to come in.

So between July 2nd and 3rd, Hannah gets scared and splits. Eve sticks around because she's not the murderer. Knowing the jig is up and that Hannah has hidden herself, Eve explains all.

It's two people folks. Tattoo, bruises, coffee.

To me, the biggest dangling question is "Who killed Hannah's parents?" and the obvious answer seems to be Eve.

Also, how does any of this help the baby?

It seems to me that by the end, Eve has fully taken over and killed off the Hannah personality, perhaps to try and avoid jail time. She talks as if Hannah is dead. Taps "Bye Hannah" on the table, and says "How can you arrest someone that doesn't exist?".

She's speaking about herself- she's said multiple times that hidden in florence's house and then the attic, she's felt as though she doesn't exist. Hannah has gone off into hiding once the alibi has been blown away, and Eve sees no reason to run.

AkuMifune

Banned
Nah. Eve is the one who got pregnant and yet Hannah had the baby. The only evidence of two distinct people is "alibi" and the tattoo and it could be new. Could also be to throw off the cops. There's too much other stuff to suggest two distinct personalities. Especially the "Simon knew" line. He realized what her problem was. As said before maybe he was even trying to help her with the mirror or maybe he had no idea how mental she was.

Also, it's awesome we experienced the same thing and came away with opposite conclusions. I hope the ambiguity sticks, but something tells me that hidden file will be the smoking gun once we find it.

I was hoping maybe you had to only add all of Hannah's or all of Eve's sessions into the bank to reveal it, but I doubt it's that complex. I think the content is very complex and the gameplay could have been fleshed out just a bit more. And JB pings the player too early. He should have forced everyone to find all of the files first, or at least 75%.

AkuMifune

Banned
In the database it mentions (1) file hidden or something like that at the bottom.

But maybe I'm stretching looking for something that isn't there.

IcyStorm

Hidden file? Wait...what? I filled the grid and got 100%...what says there's anything more?

In the database it mentions (1) file hidden or something like that at the bottom.

But maybe I'm stretching looking for something that isn't there.

I think there's only one video in the game directory that isn't in the actual game, but it's just a duplicate with no sound. I poked around in the .assets files for more (and mostly to find the subtitles/transcripts) but I didn't really want to look through everything.

EDIT: [your Steam library folder]\SteamApps\common\HER STORY\HerStory_Data\StreamingAssets\D305.mov is the only video not included in the game in that directory. It is basically D305.avi (the clip where she goes, "You think it's murder? I mean clearly it's murder. What can I do to help?") but silent. I'm not sure why it's there, but it's nothing significant.

There are 271 videos in-game (excluding credits), and there are 271 videos in that directory (excluding credits and D305.mov). If there are any hidden videos, they're in the .assets files but I didn't see anything. Of course, if the hidden file/missing volume is not a video, then maybe it's still something that could be found.

Slacker

You could argue the end credits support the split personality theory too. Lots of shots of her doubled up with camera effects.

Waxwing

One other that occurred to me while I was playing- I can't remember which clip it was, but there's one where it feels like two halves splices together with something omitted in between...I'll have to look for it.

eot

Banned
Anything but split personality doesn't make any sense to me. Too contrived. I figured she was schizo about 15 minutes in, I guess it depends a bit on the order you find the clips in which they have limited control over, but I was waiting for something more.

Did she kill her parents though?

edit: actually, I don't think there's a conclusive answer. Maybe not even a canon answer.
The tattoo is there specifically to contradict all the other insanity.

Makonero

Eve killed them all. The parents. Her "mother". Simon. Hannah. The twin theory is real, but you can't trust a word of what Eve says.

She's an omnicidal maniac, jealous of her reflection, killing all that come between them and ultimately deciding that the best way to keep them together is to become her reflection.

carlsojo

Just finished. I have no concrete idea what happened. I wish at the end it would play the whole thing in chronological order.

Hupsel

Oh god... #TeamTwins or #TeamSplitPersonality

Hard to choose. Really liked the game. The actress was amazing.

Zia

There is no twin, guys.

So, the moth that Eve and Hannah killed with the huge book in the dollhouse... what was that about? Actually the cat?

Sera O

Banned
So, the moth that Eve and Hannah killed with the huge book in the dollhouse... what was that about? Actually the cat?

I thought that part was pretty interesting, too. I'd read that as symbolic of Eve's dilemma. I mean, the moth is attracted to the lights inside the dollhouse, but is not meant to be there and is rather destructive if it gets inside.

In Eve's case it seems like she killed or drove Hannah away (either person or personality) in order to have the house or whatever that entails. In the framework of the game, Eve's only weapon is the stories she tells, so sort of like slamming the moth with the book of fairytales to reclaim the dollhouse, it's like she threw Hannah under the bus with the stories she told.

Top Bottom