• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Her Story | Spoiler Thread

cilonen

Where would she have lived? How does a second human successfully function with half the schooling, half the attention, half the food, half the socialization - not to mention hours upon hours of wasted time hiding away somewhere?

Nothing in her story can be corroborated. If we are to assume she didn't live in the attic, like she told us, how can we take anything she says seriously?

Exactly. It's a fairly tale they cooked up between themselves. They are both pulling a Kaiser Soze.

Kamion

At this point she believes that "Hannah" killed Simon and it was her! alibi, not hers. For "Eve" it doesn't matter because as she says, she didn't do it.

Anyway. We have no evidence of the Glasgow thing and I don't think we can really solve this without knowing. I just don't think the police would have continued their line of questioning if that checked out completely.

She asked multiple times to check with the hospital which means that the police never told her whether they did.

pantsmith

But we can infer what questions are being asked by the detectives, who are presumably honest investigators piecing things together in a logical way.

From doing so, we know:

1. That the woman was in Glasgow, that she got in a car accident and went to the hospital, and that there are records of this.
2. That Simon's watch was broken at a time when the woman was in Glasgow.
3. That the police found a blonde wig.
4. That the police found a set of fingerprints they didn't expect in the bedroom.
5. That the woman didn't have a bruise, and then did have one, and then it disappeared again.
6. That the woman didn't have a tattoo, and then suddenly did have one.
7. That the woman will go so far as to spill her drink deliberately to cover her radically different and self-contradictory drinks preferences on given days.
8. That the woman fails a lie detector test only once: when asked about her name, and only because she initially makes a mistake about what her name is because she's fallen into the habit of lying about it.
9. That the woman passes every other lie detector question.

Now, there are ways to explain all of these things. But they are over-elaborate, inelegant, and don't do justice to the game's themes. I am inclined to believe it's the same as people saying that LOST is set on the moon or that Cthulhu is working behind the scenes in True Detective — you can get there, if you torture the evidence enough in your mind, but it's probably not the answer.

So explaining any of the above by citing a fixed perspective on an unreliable narrator is the same as saying LOST takes place on the Moon?

This is a woman who, in presumably the 4th clip you watch, says (obviously not verbatim) "everything we've just told each other are just stories"

To take this further, to the point of absurdity: if you subscribe to the split personality theory, what is the point of Eve's "confession" of it?

Two possibilities:

1. She is simply unable to control the split personality until she is "caught," at which point she confesses to a completely different and incoherent account because she's flatly crazy.

2. She is in complete control of her split personality, wilfully spinning an elaborate account and seeding clues throughout it so that when she is "caught," it will all make enough sense to an outside viewer that she can tell a coherent story that will get her off the hook. If this is the case, she makes mistakes and errors throughout her testimony on purpose so they will make sense in retrospect. Oh, and she's an evil mastermind.

In case 1, she's a crazy person who killed her husband out of craziness, nothing she says has any meaning, and everything has to be thrown out. Everything you watched was pointless, she's beyond insane, game over.

In case 2, she could have got away with it if she hadn't deliberately implicated herself through mistakes and errors, so why did she choose to do so as an evil mastermind? More importantly and prior, why did she kill her husband in the first place?

Kamion

In case 2, she could have got away with it if she hadn't deliberately implicated herself through mistakes and errors, so why did she choose to do so? More importantly and prior, why did she kill her husband in the first place?

Thats the thing. When she says that "Hannah is gone" talking about her like another person she actually thinks she is another person.

When she confesses, she does so for Hannah's crimes who she thinks to be a separate entity from herself.

Which is why she says adamantly that they got "the wrong person" yet they apparently convicted her.

So explaining any of the above by citing a fixed perspective on an unreliable narrator is the same as saying LOST takes place on the Moon?

This is a woman who, in presumably the 4th clip you watch, says (obviously not verbatim) "everything we've just told each other are just stories"
I mean, they do tell lies, both of them, and they are both deeply unreliable. But it is my firm belief that what Eve says in the seventh and final interview is the truth. It helps that she's strapped into a lie detector.

pantsmith

To take this further, to the point of absurdity: if you subscribe to the split personality theory, what is the point of Eve's "confession" of it?

Two possibilities:

1. She is simply unable to control the split personality until she is "caught," at which point she confesses to a completely different and incoherent account because she's flatly crazy.

2. She is in complete control of her split personality, wilfully spinning an elaborate account and seeding clues throughout it so that when she is "caught," it will all make enough sense to an outside viewer that she can tell a coherent story that will get her off the hook. If this is the case, she makes mistakes and errors throughout her testimony on purpose so they will make sense in retrospect. Oh, and she's an evil mastermind.

In case 1, she's a crazy person who killed her husband out of craziness, nothing she says has any meaning, and everything has to be thrown out. Everything you watched was pointless, she's beyond insane, game over.

In case 2, she could have got away with it if she hadn't deliberately implicated herself through mistakes and errors, so why did she choose to do so as an evil mastermind? More importantly and prior, why did she kill her husband in the first place?

Not to beat a dead horse here, but why not something in between the two options? Why does it have to be either extreme?

Presumably she's high functioning, and would have some grasp of the story she's telling police because she's constantly telling herself the same story. There are no shortage of delusional people who will believe anything, surely we can at least agree on that?

My take is that even through her unreliable narrative we are granted glimpses of her motivations and feelings, and are able to make sense of someone outside of our own condition. Here is a woman who, either crazy or not, loved the man she never meant to killed. Nothing so extreme as none of it matters.

Kamion

Also lets not forget that Sarah's mother was convicted. She knows that she did it. She only wants to know why.

If there were twins she'd be Eve's daughter. If the police believed Eve and would've investigated more they would have found out that Hannah exists and killed Simon.

IF there are twins then Eve is innocent. Yet her daughter searches for reasons WHY she did it not to know whether she did.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
pretty much

I'm not going to argue with Split Personality Truthers (and, I mean, there's enough ambiguity in there I can see how you could read it that way, and if you want to, oooooook)

but to straight up DENY that the game suggests twins are possible? excuse me, that's LITERALLY WHAT THE GAME TELLS YOU
It's what potentially mentally deranged person in the game tells you. She's the very definition of unreliable narrator. Her story about twin sister living in the attic for years and parents never noticing it is... do I really have to spell that out? Like you can't seriously believe something like that is feasible? Both views on the subject have such technically possible but highly unlikely aspects to them. and neither is clear cut. But it's true that people with split personality go to amazing lengths to invent those incredibly unlikely scenarios to convince themselves that the second person really exists.

Also lets not forget that Sarah's mother was convicted. She knows that she did it. She only wants to know why.

If there were twins she'd be Eve's daughter. If the police believed Eve and would've investigated more they would have found out that Hannah exists and killed Simon.

IF there are twins then Eve is innocent. Yet her daughter searches for reasons WHY she did it not to know whether she did.
We don't know what's in Sarah's head and what she searches for. For all we know, she too may think that there were twin sisters, and wants to prove that Hannah esits so that her mother Eve would be set free.
Or maybe I'm wrong here (I haven't yet seen the ending you get when you answer 'yes' to the last question)

Makonero

Eve murdered Hannah. That could be what she was convicted for. Or, if the police never found the body, maybe they think Eve is lying about a twin. Lots of options.

pantsmith

I can't believe how many people are arguing that "complete disassociative multiple personality disorder, and most of the game is a lie" is more feasible than "twins exist, and most of the game is true"

if we accept MPD as given, what is this game about? with twins, there's all sorts of readings we can make and discussions to be had. with MPD it's "lol crazy" and everything else is just shut down

I can't believe how many people are arguing that "twins exist, and most of the game is true" is more feasible than "complete disassociative multiple personality disorder, and most of the game is a lie"

if we accept twins as given, what is this game about? with MPD, there's all sorts of readings we can make and discussions to be had. with twins it's "lol twins" and everything else is just shut down

Kamion

Eve murdered Hannah. That could be what she was convicted for. Or, if the police never found the body, maybe they think Eve is lying about a twin. Lots of options.

Which is why I am saying that we can't dismiss any of these theories without knowing about Glasgow.

I personally believe in the multiple personality theory MORE because of the fact that I find "when I was five I hid my sister for 20 years" highly improbable.

They were little kids. I can't accept that.

But at this stage it could literally be both. Which is - I guess - the whole point.

We don't actually know that Eve was convicted, but her account, if true, would have likely seen her go to prison. She is far from innocent: she helped her sister cover up a murder, and she repeatedly lied to the police. She helped Hannah flee, at best, or she may even have killed her, though this seems unlikely after helping her with the cover-up (and the messages she sends in code are LOVE U and BYEHANNAH). She may also be implicated in the murder of Hannah's parents, not to mention Florence the midwife, if Florence exists. Or the police may just have thought she was insane and locked her up independent of the truth.

If we believe that this game is set in the present day, then Sarah is maybe 21 years old in 2015, but we have no other information about her, who she grew up with, what happened to Eve/Hannah, or whether Sarah was, for example, given up for adoption. We don't know what prompted her to investigate the murder now and not earlier. Not that "SB" calls it a murder; he calls it "what your mother did."

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I can't believe how many people are arguing that "complete disassociative multiple personality disorder, and most of the game is a lie" is more feasible than "twins exist, and most of the game is true"

if we accept MPD as given, what is this game about? with twins, there's all sorts of readings we can make and discussions to be had. with MPD it's "lol crazy" and everything else is just shut down

authors write things for a reason and to communicate SOMETHING to the reader beyond WOW, MINDFREAK

most of us got over WHAT A TWIST when we were 19

the problem with twins is that it goes against may of the metaphors / images in the game, and more importantly, how in the blue hell would 5 year olds come up with this plan to hide her, and worse, how would noone find out. How would the mom not know she had twins? etc etc

IcyStorm

I think I'm okay with being unable to see any other information related to the case? I mean it's kind of shitty for us as players trying to piece together what the truth is, but we are experiencing this through Sarah, who had to have seen all that information herself if it was available to her. Her Story is solely Sarah already knowing the police's story and trying to see her mother and what she said for herself.

Archurro

authors write things for a reason and to communicate SOMETHING to the reader beyond WOW, MINDFREAK

what is lost if Hannah/Eve are MPD instead of twins? Do you think a lot of the story becomes invalid? At this point, I think both reading are pretty valid, and if Sam stated that either one or the other interpretation is valid, I wouldn't like the game any less.

Also, if they were twins, what happened to Eve?

the problem with twins is that it goes against may of the metaphors / images in the game, and more importantly, how in the blue hell would 5 year olds come up with this plan to hide her, and worse, how would noone find out. How would the mom not know she had twins? etc etc

THEY'RE THE SAME PERSON HERP DERP

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Of course most of the game would be a lie - the game would be an interview with a person with MPD, so the whole point is that she'd be telling those things that she's believing in that have no semblance of reality. Literally every thing she says that would physically confirm she had a twin sister is in fact unprovable (hospital visit - oh, she conveniently didn't have any ID during that visit... Tattoo? Oh, she's wearing long sleeves when she's that other person, her story about twins swapping places so the other one appeared dressed within seconds, oh too bad parents are dead so even a minute detail like that can't be verified) It's not a twist, the whole game's narrative was designed to be intentionally ambiguous.

yes, mirrors and reflections are a common metaphor for, uh, internalized multiple personality disorder
Well, yes... they are.

the mom knows she had twins but thought one of them had died during childbirth. Florence took her away.
And they she came over and lived in the attic for years, hiding around the house... but the cartoon parents never noticed, of course.

pantsmith

I think I'm okay with being unable to see any other information related to the case? I mean it's kind of shitty for us as players trying to piece together what the truth is, but we are experiencing this through Sarah, who had to have seen all that information herself if it was available to her. Her Story is solely Sarah already knowing the police's story and trying to see her mother and what she said for herself.

Exactly! It's not about guilt, or twists - the person you're talking to over the messenger asks you "do you know why your mother did it?" (again, not verbatim). It's about context, and learning about someone through the stories they leave behind.

eot

Banned

Most of us can disagree without being condescending too.
I don't think trying to analyse the author's intent is relevant at all. The twin story is utterly implausible. You seriously think they hid in the bathroom and swapped dresses? Pulled out eachothers teeth?

Makonero

I love that two (twin?) theories are both so plausible and yet each of us has a favored one. This was really well done.

Makonero

since you MPD truthers are so bad at your jobs I'll give you the biggest piece of evidence yet

Hannah's miscarriage is a result of the STD Eve contracted at 8 months! see, that was easy

though, I mean, what the hell does "for the first time in my life my reflection didn't look like me. fatter, plumper. or maybe I was getting thinner." mean if we assume they are the same person

are you suggesting that Eve was literally unable to perceive that her own body was 8mo pregnant

or what about the story of Eve trying to drown Hannah as a child, which is also the ballad she sings

this is so dumb

why the fuck did I come back to GAF
Isn't it Hannah who tried to drown Eve?

Kamion

since you MPD truthers are so bad at your jobs I'll give you the biggest piece of evidence yet

Hannah's miscarriage is a result of the STD Eve contracted at 8 months! see, that was easy

though, I mean, what the hell does "for the first time in my life my reflection didn't look like me. fatter, plumper. or maybe I was getting thinner." mean if we assume they are the same person

are you suggesting that Eve was literally unable to perceive that her own body was 8mo pregnant

or what about the story of trying to drown her as a child, which is also the ballad she sings

this is so dumb

1) she never got pregnant "as eve" so in her perception she wasn't.

2) "the stories we talked about are just that, stories". It could have been in her head. She could have tried to drown herself.
Or she made it up.

I can't believe how many people are arguing that "twins exist, and most of the game is true" is more feasible than "complete disassociative multiple personality disorder, and most of the game is a lie"

if we accept twins as given, what is this game about? with MPD, there's all sorts of readings we can make and discussions to be had. with twins it's "lol twins" and everything else is just shut down
Clever post, but this isn't true.

There being real twins makes this a rich morality play about identity and "uniqueness." On the "real twins" account, the reason Simon died is that he gave "Eve" the gift of a mirror, the same hand-crafted mirror he had previously given to Hannah. Hannah, disguised as Eve, literally and metaphorically saw her reflection in it, saw that she was ultimately different from her sister. She saw that her more confident, more attractive "twin" had won the heart of the man she loved. She realized that there was something about Eve (lol) that was more appealing to Simon; even though Eve and Hannah looked identical, they weren't mirror images of each other. In a moment of profound realization and profound jealousy, Hannah killed the man she loved because she had lost him to her real, living, unique sister. The woman who was her, and the woman whom she could never be.

That gives you a motive and an inciting incident — a thing that happened in time that you can point to as the moment and reason the murder happened.

But with the split personality theory, there is no inciting incident. Eve/Hannah was crazy all along, and then one day she just got really crazy out of the blue and killed her husband. For no reason except craziness.

I know which one is more satisfying to me.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

or what about the story of Eve trying to drown Hannah as a child, which is also the ballad she sings

this is so dumb

dude, why are you getting so angry that people have different opinions. Do you need to be right to feel superior? calm down its only a game

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
this is so dumb

I mean I'm not sure what are you arguing here? That we're supposed to take a story of a potentially mentally deranged person, full of unveifiable stories as a fact? What if the game was an interview with a mentally ill person who is convinced that the air we breathe is acid and that if we inhale deeply it will burn our lungs? I mean the game would be telling us that, so it must be taken at a face value and truth?

But with the split personality theory, there is no inciting incident. Eve/Hannah was crazy all along, and then one day she just got really crazy out of the blue and killed her husband. For no reason except craziness.

It's actually all the same to her, incident is all the same, whether twin sister is physically real or not. She believes the sister is real. If her husband loved more that sister she believes is real it's all the same to her really. Just makes it even more sad in the end maybe, as she killed him because he loved more what was technically just the other side of her.

This is also why strapping a person like that to a lie detector accomplishes nothing. She's not trying to lie to you, she's telling you something she fully and completely believes in, even if it has no semblance with physical reality.

Kamion

It's literally the same just that her sister is in her mind. She feels like she was betrayed by a real person because she feels that Eve is a real person.

I don't see how it's any less satisfying. I believe it and I'm very satisfied.

I still believe they're both possible. I don't want to dismiss one or the other. I prefer the one where five year old kids don't make unrealistic elaborate life plans though.

Inkwell

Banned
MODS MY OTHER PERSONALITY THOUGHT IT WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA TO TRY TO TALK ABOUT VIDEO GAMES ON GAF

PLEASE BAN ME IMMEDIATELY

You sure it wasn't your twin you have been hiding in the attic for all these years?

I honestly can't choose a side here since there's too much conflicting information, and I won't unless we somehow get some more information. I can say that I don't mind whether "twins" or "MPD" is true since I kind of like both.

AkuMifune

Banned
MODS MY OTHER PERSONALITY THOUGHT IT WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA TO TRY TO TALK ABOUT VIDEO GAMES ON GAF

Talking about videogames usually involves a discussion of differing opinions, not accepting only one possibility as true and mocking other interpretations.

To me, all of the morality play of duality is just as appropriate when considering dominant and subversive personalities. Especially when considering, what if Eve setup Hannah? And the part that makes twins too ridiculous is all the dates they went on and all the parties they went to where they 'took turns' on the date and left it to Eve to seal the deal. Do you really think one of the girls was always physically hiding somewhere in the dark?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony

I think you should try and respond to some of the things people presented against your case, instead of repeatedly yelling in everyone's general direction. There are very visibly things in the game that make the case of there being two sisters highly unlikely - even if you take everything the woman says at a face value.

It's literally the same just that her sister is in her mind. She feels like she was betrayed by a real person because she feels that Eve is a real person.

I don't see how it's any less satisfying. I believe it and I'm very satisfied.

I still believe they're both possible. I don't want to dismiss one or the other. I prefer the one where five year old kids don't make unrealistic elaborate life plans though.
Precisely this.

Shahadan

I want to make sure of something guys.

We're all clear that the game is written precisely and perfectly so both solutions are 100% possible right? And you'll naturally choose one over the other?

There is no use debating which one is true.

Edit; I want to add that Eve couldn't get pregnant since she was already as Hannah, and she wanted to drown the other one as a child because there is an age when you should forget your imaginary friend or choose who you're going to be, and she failed. "Just for a moment"

Also Hannah seems to have some sort of lucid moments when she wants to distance herself from Eve and assert her individuality but she can't do it.
Simon gave her the mirror to help her so she would snap out of it but she couldn't handle the truth and killed him by accident.

my new explanation is Hannah and Eve are two characters inside of an elaborate VR simulation set in 1994. the twist is they are these "characters" are actually just two separate avatars being roleplayed by the same player - Simon! VR Simon faked his own death inside the 1994 VR sim to get away from his VR boss and elope with VR Diane

you can't disprove this

Kamion

I want to make sure of something guys.

We're all clear that the game is written precisely and perfectly so both solutions are 100% possible right? And you'll naturally choose one over the other?

There is no use debating which one is true.

Devating is just fun though. I'd like to understand how other people arrived at their conclusions. :0

the reason Simon drinks different drinks as Hannah and Eve is because coffee gives +2 to STR while tea give +3 to AGI and he needs different buffs depending on which avatar he's controlling

Shahadan

Devating is just fun though. I'd like to understand how other people arrived at their conclusions. :0

Yes, I really like to read about why people believe either theory, and we should absolutely talk about what leads to it, but arguing over the "truth" is pointless :p

pantsmith

my new explanation is Hannah and Eve are two characters inside of an elaborate VR simulation set in 1994. the twist is they are these "characters" are actually just two separate avatars being roleplayed by the same player - Simon! VR Simon faked his own death inside the 1994 VR sim to get away from his VR boss and elope with VR Diane

you can't disprove this

Her Story actually takes place within the Metal Gear universe, and just about everything can be explained by nanomachines, The Patriots and ICBMs

:D

Kamion

Yes, I really like to read about why people believe either theory, and we should absolutely talk about what leads to it, but arguing over the "truth" is pointless :p

Yeah well. This meltdown situation right now certainly helps no one. I still love how "dividing" this game is and that there is merit to both theories.

Metal B

Clever post, but this isn't true.

There being real twins makes this a rich morality play about identity and "uniqueness." On the "real twins" account, the reason Simon died is that he gave "Eve" the gift of a mirror, the same hand-crafted mirror he had previously given to Hannah. Hannah, disguised as Eve, literally and metaphorically saw her reflection in it, saw that she was ultimately different from her sister. She saw that her more confident, more attractive "twin" had won the heart of the man she loved. She realized that there was something about Eve (lol) that was more appealing to Simon; even though Eve and Hannah looked identical, they weren't mirror images of each other. In a moment of profound realization and profound jealousy, Hannah killed the man she loved because she had lost him to her real, living, unique sister. The woman who was her, and the woman whom she could never be.

That gives you a motive and an inciting incident — a thing that happened in time that you can point to as the moment and reason the murder happened.

Really crazy out of the blue? He lost here baby and her parents in 1984. That's what triggered the slow return of Eve.
The whole story gets really sad, if you realize that Simon wanted to help her. I guess, he through it was just a game they playing. Until Hannah said to him, that the sister, he didn't know she has, is pregnant and she should life with them. Then like she said: "She know. That look on his face. She know". This is the moment, where there were no games anymore.
I guess, Simon tried to help here with the mirror, what would be the point, give both of them the same gift, unless he tried something here. It backfired hard.

Also let's not forget one little hint in the bin. The mirror game is a two player game, which is strange, since you properly will only play Her Story alone. So you have to play against yourself, pretending to beat yourself. But only one of your sides can win.

At least the games made someone crazy ...

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
As someone said above, I think both versions are believable - but I prefer the one in which 5 year olds are not making long term, incredibly elaborate life plans and successfully confounding their parents through incredibly trivial means for years. Something like that belongs more to a cartoon than something that presents itself as a real life story. But then again, unreliable narrator and all - maybe the twins aspect is true, but she exaggerates their interaction during early childhood - as one of the twins would have been stolen by Florence.

The reason Eve doesn't have a bruise and then Hannah does and then Eve doesn't again is because she's so convinced she's two people her body is wounding itself with the effort of preventing the psychosomatic dimensional rift that will unleash creatures of the nether realms upon our universe.

Top Bottom