• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here are the top 10 most liveable cities of 2016 (Economist Intelligence Unit)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/18/trave...e-city-20161010AMStoryGalLink&linkId=27827706
If there's one thing wrong with living in Melbourne, it's probably the boring inevitability of being named one of the best places on the planet year after year.

For the sixth year in a row, the Australian city has topped the Economist Intelligence Unit's ranking of the world's most livable cities.The list, which considers stability, healthcare, culture and environment, education and infrastructure to arrive at a rating out of 100, gave Melbourne an overall score of 97.5. Close behind is the Austrian capital Vienna, with 97.4, and Canada's Vancouver with 97.3 — positions both cities also held in 2015.

While little has changed among the ranks of the most comfortable cities, it's a darker picture elsewhere in the world with instability, terrorism and conflict causing several formerly "safe" destinations to lose their sheen. Among them is the French capital Paris, which has seen its livability score drop by 3.7% over the past five years, a situation not helped by recent terror attacks in the city.

1. Melbourne, Australia
2. Vienna, Austria
3. Vancouver, Canada
4. Toronto, Canada
=5. Calgary, Canada
=5. Adelaide, Australia
7. Perth, Australia
8. Auckland, New Zealand
9. Helsinki, Finland
10. Hamburg, Germany

Other notes:
- Sydney drops out of the top 10 due to increased terrorist fears
- Damascus is currently dead last in terms of liveability out of 140 cities
- A number of popular cities in Western Europe and the US suffered drops due to increasing instability (e.g. Paris, San Fransisco)

(Direct link to the full report if you're into that sorta thing)

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Helsinki is sooooo boooooring, though.

MMarston

What's the rent like over there? I've visited Vancouver once and thought was the best city of all the major ones I've been too. Wouldn't mind to live there sometime.

On average: $1500 - 3000 per month, depending on the place

Layell

LOL Toronto

-25% of our subway cars on the major east/west line don't have AC
-It will be decades until the subway expands relief lines downtown, meanwhile, we spend billions for a one-stop subway to the burbs that would have been better serviced with light rail
-Affordable housing is all kinds of messed up, cost of living keeps going on

I can't wait for local media to harp on how great Toronto is because of this list

Famassu

What kind of dumb criteria are they using that puts Helsinki ahead of Berlin, Stockholm and Copenhagen?
I'd imagine stability, healthcare and/or education are what pushes it above those.

Helsinki is sooooo boooooring, though.
While I personally wouldn't want to live in Helsinki (from bigger cities in Finland, I'd prefer Tampere or Turku), it's far from boring. Plenty of culture to enjoy, parks to just enjoy time in & all kinds of things to do. If you find Helsinki boring, you're doing it wrong or are just nitpicky to the extreme in your activities.

kswiston

LOL Toronto

-It will be decades until the subway expands relief lines downtown, meanwhile, we spend billions for a one-stop subway to the burbs that would have been better serviced with light rail

I can't wait for local media to harp on how great Toronto is because of this list

These lists are always "most livable cities for wealthy people ". People working for minimum wage probably arent reading the Economist.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
LOL Toronto

Things can always improve but you're ignoring all the positives to focus on the few negatives. The TTC is trash though.

Shiloa

Hamburg? Was full of strippers, racists and drug addicts when I went. I guess they gotta live somewhere too.

MMarston

Eh? Where are you looking? $1000 - $1500 is the typical range here for a one bedroom apartment.

Well I was pretty much including all forms of places

But yeah, that's right on the money for single bedroom places

Pifje

Helsinki. Beggars, roadworks and construction sites every few steps, highest rents in the country, aging infrastructure, cold, packed. There surely are plenty of more liveable cities put there.

djkimothy

Helsinki. Beggars, roadworks and construction sites every few steps, highest rents in the country, aging infrastructure, cold, packed. There surely are plenty of more liveable cities put there.

You just described Ottawa Canada. why couldn't we get on that list? Is our housing not rich enough for you peasants?

Brinbe

Here's the actual rankings.

aA1NHIp.png

Our embarrassingly bad infrastructure drags us down, smfh.

Dalibor68

Banned
The people who create those lists should maybe look outside the tourist/high income districts. The outer districts in Vienna have pretty much gone to shit in the last years. Today I've had a veiled woman literally spit in front of my feet on my way back home from grocery shopping. Yesterday two refugees had a fist fight on the open street in front of my gym and my friend of turkish origin is more and more often receiving racist insults by old austrian people. You can feel that society as a whole is heating up/things are getting more confrontational.

Then again thankfully we're still quite a lot away from Paris-style suburb areas. But I really can't shake the feeling the people who create those ratings only view the good parts of the city.

Aside from security there are also too few apartments and prices are constantly going up everywhere.

Rked

Hamburg? Was full of strippers, racists and drug addicts when I went. I guess they gotta live somewhere too.

I got a friend that is from Hamburg. Ive been to that city like 4-5 times and I love it. so much to do and see. Berlin, Portland, And Hamburg are on my potential to move list. Ich liebe reeperbahn.

Razorskin

----- ------
3/5 are in Canada, not bad.

No Montreal in the top 10 but I can understand why, at least it's more affordable for people who are tight on money.

Hamburg is not that expensive.
But I also like Munich better than Hamburg.
But its way easier to find new friends in Hamburg. Munich people are not very open at frist.

nacimento

The economist list is quite anglocentric compared to others like Mercer's.

Sydney being there means public transport almost doesn't count. Dreadful fourth world public transport.

Rked

Hamburg is not that expensive.
But I also like Munich better than Hamburg.
But its way easier to find new friends in Hamburg. Munich people are not very open at frist.

People in Munich are snobish and keep you at a arms length from my experience ( i worked there for about 6 months). Personally Berlin->Hamburg-----> Koln------------> Munich------------------------------------------------------> Frankfurt (hated this place)

Decado

I love living in Vancouver but a major caveat should be included:

*If you can afford to live here comfortably.

darscot

Ah knew the Vancouver is expensive crew would be out in full force. Makes me chuckle every time, the best of anything costs more.

Griss

Loved Vancouver when I visited my sister there but she and her husband had to move out as it was insanely expensive.

Cost of living should probably factor into these things.

MMarston

Ah knew the Vancouver is expensive crew would be out in full force. Makes me chuckle every time, the best of anything costs more.
I dunno if you're aware, but money is kind of a big deal in terms of liveability

Derwind

By liveable do they mean for multi-million dollar investors because that would make sense to see both Vancouver and toronto in the top 5.

Damerman

Everytime these lists come out i hate canada and australia so much more.

How is Norway not the best on that list?

And to be honest how diverse are those cities? They all strike me as homogeneously white.

MMarston

And to be honest how diverse are those cities? They all strike me as white homogenous.
Vancouver and Toronto are incredibly diverse

Dunno about the Aussie cities though

Derwind

And to be honest how diverse are those cities? They all strike me as homogeneously white.

Coming from someone basically born & raised in Toronto. It pretty diverse fam. Although gentrification will have a strong voice in seeing that stop being the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom