• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here are the top 10 most liveable cities of 2016 (Economist Intelligence Unit)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mimosa97

These rankings are so stupid. As much as I understand australian and scandinavian cities being at the top, I don't understand how you can put vancouver or calgary so high. Who in his right mind would want to live in calgary ? And Vancouver is so expensive no one can afford to live there anyways lol

Brinbe

Everytime these lists come out i hate canada and australia so much more.

How is Norway not the best on that list?

And to be honest how diverse are those cities? They all strike me as homogeneously white.

LOL Toronto is the most diverse city on Earth.

Window

I can't be bothered to download the report but I really wish they would provide a short description of their measures in the article as well.

Derwind

These rankings are so stupid. As much as I understand australian and scandinavian cities being at the top, I don't understand how you can put vancouver or calgary so high. Who in his right mind would want to live in calgary ? And Vancouver is so expensive no one can afford to live there anyways lol

Don't forget Toronto, going through a wave of gentrification.

People in Munich are snobish and keep you at a arms length from my experience ( i worked there for about 6 months). Personally Berlin->Hamburg-----> Koln------------> Munich------------------------------------------------------> Frankfurt (hated this place)

Where did you work?

Mimosa97

Montreal not rich enough?

Can't be too far from the top ten given criteria listed...

As a Montreal resident, the city has been in decline for a long time. The infrastructure is crumbling, everyone is corrupt to the core and the economy is slowly going down.

The only thing pretty much left intact is the culture. Montreal is lots of fun.

5. Adelaide, Australia

Someone has never actually tried to drive in Adelaide.
0IvkEdD.jpg

A city of 1.25 million with nothing but surface streets in a grid pattern. I never want to drive in that city ever again. It's not even like suburban Boston where there's a main street where can at least cruise down a two lane highway at 40mph. You just start, stop, start, stop every quarter of a mile. Takes you 40 minutes to go 10 miles.

MutFox

Banned
Love Vancouver.
You don't need a great place to enjoy the outdoors here.

Though it's nice to have toys for the outdoors...

Derwind

Also Toronto traffic is like one of the worst (if not the worst) in North America. With infrastructure that hasn't been improved on since the fucking 60's. Let's not even talk about how stunted our transit system is.

This alone makes you want to kill yourself.

4th most liveable city my ass.

Also Toronto traffic is like one of the worst (if not the worst) in North America. With infrastructure that hasn't been improved on since the fucking 60's. Let's not even talk about how stunted our transit system is.

This alone makes you want to kill yourself.

4th most liveable city my ass.

List is for people with helicopters.

Irnbru

Last time I went to Vancouver it was zzzzz. Night life kinda sucked... At the least the clubs were pretty meh.
Chinese food was on point tho.

And to be honest how diverse are those cities? They all strike me as homogeneously white.

lol is this a joke? You think we all Jamacian, when nuff man are Trini's
Bajans, Grenadians and a hole heap of Haitians
Guyanese and all of the West Indies combined
To make the T dot O dot, one of a kind

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
I love living in Vancouver but a major caveat should be included:

*If you can afford to live here comfortably.
Yeah unfortunately those desirable places are in high demand. Therefore, costs of living in those areas are higher as a result :(

Derwind

Yeah unfortunately those desirable places are in high demand. Therefore, costs of living in those areas are higher as a result :(

It's also doesn't help when multi-million dollar investors drive the price point of even the most affordable neighbourhoods through the fucking roof.

Basically Vancouver and Toronto.

Toronto and Vancouver? Homogenously white?

Noooooooo mate.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
It's also doesn't help when multi-million dollar investors drive the price point of even the most affordable neighbourhoods through the fucking roof.

Basically Vancouver and Toronto.
Watch it continue to go up though. My friends from Hong Kong, London, New York, Tokyo, San Francisco, Singapore, tons and tons of other high-demand places laugh at how cheap it is to live in Vancouver/Toronto lol. Vancouver will probably get a lot more expensive just because it is geographically locked to a much smaller land much like the likes of Hong Kong.

Eh? Where are you looking? $1000 - $1500 is the typical range here for a one bedroom apartment.

what really? You cant find a 1 bedroom in Toronto for that much (in the core) I am sure you can get much cheaper the further north, east or west you go. I pay $1200 for the master bedroom in a 2 bedroom apartment in the financial district. :*(

Lol nope. I can vouch for Toronto at least, city is very culturally rich. You meet all kinds of people from every corner of the world here.

Rookje

Australia? Skin cancer city. Canada? Terrible internet, shitty S&H and taxes. Also the winters suck.

Fou-Lu

Does Australia have paid PHD positions? I've always wanted to have an extended stay and that would be a good opportunity to do so.

Thereitis.gif and all that.

I consider myself pretty lucky. In Toronto, Uptown with easy access to public transit, I live in a unit apartment with everything included, 2 bedrooms, living room, porch, parking spot and front yard for $1250 per month. Add to that that we don't use cable, have an unlimited internet connection (which costs $90) and it isn't TOO bad. If you think this is expensive, you should see others I know.

Of course I'm not including groceries in here, or the monthly cost of public transit because that is when everything goes down the drain lol.

Minus_Me

As a Montreal resident, the city has been in decline for a long time. The infrastructure is crumbling, everyone is corrupt to the core and the economy is slowly going down.

The only thing pretty much left intact is the culture. Montreal is lots of fun.

Not enough construction for you this summer?

lolol

Last time I went to Vancouver it was zzzzz. Night life kinda sucked... At the least the clubs were pretty meh.
Chinese food was on point tho.
felt the exact same when I was there. We were like the only people in a bar at like 9 on a thurday, it was bizarre. Was a little bit better on friday but not a whole lot, still felt very empty

Fou-Lu

Why does it seem like in these kind of threads that night life is what determines whether a city is great or not to people?

Onemic

Toronto's the most diverse city in the world. Vancouver is pretty up there too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom