• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here Comes the Next Xbox {Many Xbox 720 Details - Paul Thurrott article} [Updated]

Here's what would fit within the parameters of what Paul is saying:

Durango games will not play off the disc. You have to install the games to HDD for them to be playable. The system has to at some point verify that the game on the HDD is a legitimate copy so it checks in over the internet. However once it does that you may be able to play the game offline. So the system is similar to the way music subscription services work. You can download all the music you want but every set number of days the music has to check with the servers that it is legit copy.

That's my theory. The system requires you have an internet connection in your home, but doesn't require you to always be connected to the internet.

The consumer benefit for those wondering is that you never have to swap discs in your machine ever again. However this affects used game sales. It means a used game would need a new license purchased to be installed under a new account name.

Well, that's from your perspective. I imagine a publisher going to a torrent site and seeing the xbox 360 torrents might go "hmmm". I have no idea how many people mod their Xbox or how much is lost over presale, but Imagine that like with many PC games removal of LAN options in favor of online only, it goes for control and maximizing profits they make more money!

I was trying to illustrate doing everything online seems to be the norm. Not just purchasing, but also clearing for anti-piracy, and controlling people from paying the most possible.

That's great.

So your defense of "consumers are impending progress by holding onto status quo" is essentially by saying we're not allowing companies to have more control + suck more money out of us.

Well, excuse me for being an entitled, backward caveman.

Let's outlaw bikes so more people will have to buy cars while we're at it.

nasos_333

Kinect 2.0 says hi

Then i take it back, 720 will not fail, will be the uber failure of all time :)

So far we have:

Always online
As expensive (or more ?) than PS4
Weaker hardware
Kinect 2.0 affecting the price (and probably be as bad as Kinect 1.0)
Fable is a Kinect game (latest one at least)
Rare is making sports games (most insulting thing i have seen in gaming industry)
MS has lost Japan and does no longer support exclusive JRPGs
XNA is officially cancelled, now it is DirectX and C++

Generally the news and latest 360 history point to a disaster, at least for me as a RPG gamer and JRGP lover

Of course a number of good games we do not know about could turn everything, but will have to really blow my mind and have at least one epic huge RPG to make 720 a buy consideration for me, for now seems like the one system to avoid next gen

Izick

Well, lets see, if so new Xbox is 499 or 299+2yr XBLG, i'm fucked.
Subsidized Xbox is not at my country, and as any xbro you can't let your console only on silver as it is half assed as it.

So, I need to pay 499 (in my country is about 1000$us) + 12$ (20$us) per month. I'll need to sell my house.

Just make sure you find a homeless shelter with an internet connection.

That's great.

So your defense of "consumers are impending progress by holding onto status quo" is essentially by saying we're not allowing companies to have more control + suck more money out of us.

Well, excuse me for being an entitled, backward caveman.

We just don't know what's best for us!

TheNatural

My Member!
Price. Microsoft will initially offer two pricing models for the console, offering a standalone version for $499 and then a $299 version that requires a two-year Xbox LIVE Gold commitment at an expected price of $10 per month.

The way I read this, Live will change to $10 a month, but buying the lower price version locks you into a contract like a phone.

I doubt Microsoft is going to stick with $60 a year for Live. They got their consumers by the balls, and as history shows, once they do that they'll gauge the FUCK out of them.

worrying that Kinect is a part of it, entertainment is a big focus not games, always online is in there.. so if this is all true then underpowered looks likely too I fear.

sadly i'm passing on this round of xbox if it is.

will stay pc/wiiu and then maybe buy a ps if games I want come out down the line.

shandy706

With a $299 option, I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft outsells Sony 2:1 in the US this Christmas. Especially if they have any CoD exclusivity.

DesertFox

Price. Microsoft will initially offer two pricing models for the console, offering a standalone version for $499 and then a $299 version that requires a two-year Xbox LIVE Gold commitment at an expected price of $10 per month.
As someone who has held an XBL Gold subscription for 8 years, this would severely piss me off if they decide to double the cost of the subscription. I would have to reconsider the service even being worth $10/mo for what I use it for.

Internet-connected. The next Xbox must be internet-connected to use. This is source of the “always on”/“always online” rumors and isn’t as Draconian as many seem to believe.
I'm so tired of this ambiguous rumor continually rearing it's ugly head. (What does "to use" mean? To stream content? To play single player games???) Can't wait til May 21st when we can find out once and for all either way.

Windows 8? Ew. I don't know why Microsoft insists on shoving their Metro UI down everyone's throat, that shit is terrible.

I disagree, metro UI is glorious on the Xbox 360. However, it is complete garbage on the PC with Windows 8.

kingocfs

Here's what would fit within the parameters of what Paul is saying:

Durango games will not play off the disc. You have to install the games to HDD for them to be playable. The system has to at some point verify that the game on the HDD is a legitimate copy so it checks in over the internet. However once it does that you may be able to play the game offline. So the system is similar to the way music subscription services work. You can download all the music you want but every set number of days the music has to check with the servers that it is legit copy.

That's my theory. The system requires you have an internet connection in your home, but doesn't require you to always be connected to the internet.

The consumer benefit for those wondering is that you never have to swap discs in your machine ever again. However this affects used game sales. It means a used game would need a new license purchased to be installed under a new account name.
I think this is exactly what it is going to mean.

Windows 8? Ew. I don't know why Microsoft insists on shoving their Metro UI down everyone's throat, that shit is terrible.

The Windows 8 core is not the Metro UI. The core kernel just means that it will be easy to port games and middleware between Xbox and Windows 8 PC and Windows Phone 8. That being said it would be odd if Xbox didn't have a variation of the same Metro UI that every other Microsoft product has today.

The spin in this thread is hilarious

Spin? Lol. I'm just trying to make sense of Paul's comments. For the record I'm fine with an always on console and don't care what MS decides to do on this. However for people who do care the difference of requiring always online vs. requiring occasionally online should make a big difference. It automatically invalidates all the people who protest on the grounds that their internet connection isn't reliable.

DieH@rd

Banned
'This banner ad confirms we'll see Durango at the May 21st conference:

cyZVIs4.png

Can't get any more direct than "New Xbox Revealed."

Its a shame MS doesent have the balls to start backstabbing the competition a little.
ibxon1DR9B6odh.png

:)

2MF

You forgot to add 2x $60 to $499 console for 2 year privilege of playing multiplayer games.

Notice the OP again:

Snubbers

I think I'll wait and see what 'always online' really means when MS unveil it..

So far it's so wishy washy and vague that it could range from a blanket statement that so much streaming (media) services are part of the experience that you need an always on connection to really use the console, right up to the most draconian phone home before playing any game...

People are laying their cards on the table rather early IMO, and so what if it's the most draconian? Everyone will just jump ship to the PS4 if it's really a problem. I'm sure I'll get both and whichever suits my needs more will no doubt get the majority of my money over it's lifetime. pretty much how this gen panned out as well...

Notice the OP again:

I think the $10 a month is not just for 'live' but to pay for the subsidization of the hardware as well, so it's a stretch at this moment to assume that 'live' for the full price console will continue at current rates, I've got 2.5 years of Live stacked up already, I do expect that this will carry over to the 720.. (would be odd if it didn't)..

DesertFox

50% more powerful GPU.
2.6x higher mem bandwidth with more memory set aside for devs.
Edit: Devs also apparently have 1 or 2 more CPU cores available with the PS4.
I don't think it's entirely accurate to say 50% more powerful by comparing Tflops...

Additionally, the Durango's architecture is completely different with their move engines. I don't think a direct comparison of mem bandwidth is a true representation of power between the two machines.

On top of that, these leaked specs could be completely incorrect.

Malice215

Microsoft really needs to wow me with their next console because I've really disliked the direction that they've been going in with pushing Kinect, lack of strong exclusive titles, and the loss of support from Japan. On top of the always online rumors and needing to pay additional for XBL.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Well, that's from your perspective. I imagine a publisher going to a torrent site and seeing the xbox 360 torrents might go "hmmm". I have no idea how many people mod their Xbox or how much is lost over presale, but Imagine that like with many PC games removal of LAN options in favor of online only, it goes for control and maximizing profits they make more money!
A publisher can decide to require their own online DRM for their own titles, without the entire box being required to be always online. If they feel like lumping unnecessary restrictions on their legitimate paying customers will be a boost to their profits, they're welcome to it. The people who weren't inclined to pay in the first place certainly aren't going to get in line for this.

Having _access_ to online, as often as possible, is a good thing. Being forced to function online only is a _restriction_. Not progress.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
What a suprise the negative Xbox rumors has more replys than the thread for official announcement next month.

Also this guy is just like others he doesn't know 100% he's just saying what few heard n could of changed recently especially the always on bit after the Twitter thing

It's always weird to me when people bring sales up when they are talking about their console of choice. That's not to sale that I think Sales-GAF is silly, as they seem to enjoy talking about and trying to make sense of the numbers regularly. But in a thread about a reveal when you see people say stuff like "well it will sell better if it has X" when X isn't even a feature they want.

It seems like some people would be happier if their company of choice sold more than they would be if their company of choice made a console suited to what they want. I can't comprehend that thinking at all.

For people that have played both games this gen which one is the better overall title? I am not into these games at all but find the fanbases behind them to be extremely devoted.

I'm not a huge racing fan but I've always loved the presentation of the GT games more than Forza but I enjoy the actual gameplay of the Forza series by a wide margin.

RetroStu

Banned
What a suprise the negative Xbox rumors has more replys than the thread for official announcement next month.

Also this guy is just like others he doesn't know 100% he's just saying what few heard n could of changed recently especially the always on bit after the Twitter thing

I still think Microsoft are going to suprise us, i just don't believe some of these rumours are true.

shandy706

It's always weird to me when people bring sales up when they are talking about their console of choice. That's not to sale that I think Sales-GAF is silly, as they seem to enjoy talking about and trying to make sense of the numbers regularly. But in a thread about a reveal when you see people say stuff like "well it will sell better if it has X" when X isn't even a feature they want.

It seems like some people would be happier if their company of choice sold more than they would be if their company of choice made a console suited to what they want. I can't comprehend that thinking at all.

I haven't seen anyone say they would prefer sales to better consumer features.

It's young thinking. When I was a kid and allowed myself this ridiculous concept of being loyal to a consumer company I would think in sales terms. Once you let that ridiculous concept go I only thing about sales as far as it impacts the staying power of series I love.

i-Lo

I think we'll all be going in circles until MS officially declares what it is that entails this online malarkey.

I doubt it's going to matter much sales/features wise.

I love my Vita and how it blows away the competition specs wise.

It's not the #1 handheld by a million miles.

This is just sad.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
I though Austrial had pegged 20 billion USD to give everyone kickass internet?

They have. My town was supposed to be connected to delicious 1gb fibre last month but due to arguments with the government my town is now somewhere like 2 years away from getting it.

Plus, if the other side win the election at the end of the year we'll never get it because they want to use a much cheaper, slower method.

Honestly, I need to move back into Melbourne lol.

onQ123

"Early announce. The initial reveal date was pushed back from April 24 to May 21 so that Microsoft could better position the device against the PlayStation 4, which Sony announced in late February."

Don Mattrick : So we are going to go out there & tell the world how much better 8GB of Ram is than 4GB of Ram the numbers don't lie we have this in the bag!

Mark Cerny: 8GB of GDDR5

2439838-628x471+(1).jpg

Don Mattrick: Dammmit where is the panic button?

Part of their logic is that X will lead to more sales, and more sales will indirectly lure developers to the platform. Even if nothing on that platform is desirable, at least it'll have games.

Top Bottom