• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT3| Chromiehounds

Altairre

Yep he's filthy in that mode. No clue what they were thinking with that change. I mean, I know the impetus was so that people could use him as "not a tank", but in reality it's his best build and the easiest way to win and people tend to do whatever gets the W's so it backfired.

Probably won't last very long, seems like an obvious fix. Won my second game with him just now against a team that had Varian as well. He didn't take taunt.

brian!

Cuz you only need 1 to stall (will stalemate 1v1s and prob most 2v1s on the payload) and the early exp/doubling of the payload is bountiful. Kinda like bhb, early turn-ins are a waste and level advantages mean you can do w/e u want or towers where early caps mean very little. I predict that early siege stuff that u see on most 2 lane maps will come out in full force for this map and that the extended value for mercs and keeps on top of the slow ass push of the payload will result in minimal resources spent on pushing the early payload. For ex. if you do sylv or hammer comp (oh god hammer will be strong on this map) and take the early keep and the other team either responds or tries to do the payload, you are pretty much running the game. Early building means you are gonna double the payload you gave up (you dont even have to give it up since it's easy to stop) and you are gonna be up a talent tier, so like bhb style you are going to own the map. It's fine to push a payload through the lane cuz you can soak at the same time, like that's a worthy use of resources, but once you get out of exp range it doesnt feel nearly as important as say taking a camp or getting soak/sieging

Conversely it could also end up like this: 3 ppl on each team dedicated to the payloads in order to race boe style w/ 2 in either lane and rotating in and out as appropriate. I only played one game, but i kinda feel like the map is too large for this (tho globals exist)
__
Oh wait all heroes are free for a month starting april 25th, cancel dat genji order

Alur

Cuz you only need 1 to stall (will stalemate 1v1s and prob most 2v1s on the payload) and the early exp/doubling of the payload is bountiful. Kinda like bhb, early turn-ins are a waste and level advantages mean you can do w/e u want or towers where early caps mean very little. I predict that early siege stuff that u see on most 2 lane maps will come out in full force for this map and that the extended value for mercs and keeps on top of the slow ass push of the payload will result in minimal resources spent on pushing the early payload. For ex. if you do sylv or hammer comp (oh god hammer will be strong on this map) and take the early keep and the other team either responds or tries to do the payload, you are pretty much running the game. Early building means you are gonna double the payload you gave up (you dont even have to give it up since it's easy to stop) and you are gonna be up a talent tier, so like bhb style you are going to own the map. It's fine to push a payload through the lane cuz you can soak at the same time, like that's a worthy use of resources, but once you get out of exp range it doesnt feel nearly as important as say taking a camp or getting soak/sieging

Conversely it could also end up like this: 3 ppl on each team dedicated to the payloads in order to race boe style w/ 2 in either lane and rotating in and out as appropriate. I only played one game, but i kinda feel like the map is too large for this (tho globals exist)

This is all theorycrafting the optimal approach, though. In reality, what's happened so far has been team deathmatch. There's a reason people say this map is like a repurposed brawl. It's hard for me to see that changing for the vast majority of players for some time, and in silver and the like I dunno that it ever would. All the fighting is just too enticing.

Even at the best of times HOTS is a zerg fest for most players. This map is all about the zerg fest. Eventually we'll deduce some semblance of "x" goes here and "y" goes there but if the last two maps (Braxis and especially Warhead) are any indication, it's a steep learning curve for most.

I do think the split pushing will be very strong if left alone, but also feel it's much more easily punished on this map due to the way it's set up. There's also no mercs to actually push with. I think the split push might be stronger later, however, instead of earlier, because you can snowball it with a late fort/keep or come back very quickly in the same way...but still, ultimately, your team has to win a fight to push a payload to it's destination.

Maledict

We found split pushing to be so insanely easy to punish on this map because there's no real divider between lanes - they are so huge and open. I think I killed Probius on Varian like 5 times in one match...

brian!

Oh yeah i def agree that the map will mainly result in weird schenanigans in practice, just trying to think objectively about the map. I do kinda think building prioritization will go up tho, like holy shit it's a struggle to push the payload esp. w/ certain comps, being able to have one payload count as two is a huge bonus to me and the exp/map advantage is meaningful (like say a payload spawns on a fortless side for the enemy, big win for you cuz they have to commit to that side of the map and have no place to hide). I think there are a lot cool strategies for this style of map but i kinda predict the size and 2lanez will undercut it from being too in depth, which could be a positive depending on how you look at it. But i mean what the heck the map has been out for like two who knows what's going on

Alur

We found split pushing to be so insanely easy to punish on this map because there's no real divider between lanes - they are so huge and open. I think I killed Probius on Varian like 5 times in one match...

I've had a Sylvanas against us like 3 times now and it's just feed city. They can't help but try and take a fort. Eventually they do but they've given us such a level advantage that it doesn't even matter.

brian!

Yah in my imagining shes just part of the 4 lane so shed be 100% safe, ideally the solo would be like dehaka or something tho i havent really checked out the brush situation

Kioshen

Azmodan is pretty painful to face on this map. I wonder how Rexxar does on this though since Misha counts as a hero which hilariously Cho'Gall doesn't count as two.

Alur

I did the quest for gems twice so I could buy 12 more loot boxes and see if anything changed (ie: stuff dropped less often, more often) in this new build on PTR in this small sample size similar to the size I had before. Seems pretty similar.

I didn't count rare or epic sprays/voice lines/portraits/banners in this. Just skins, mounts, heroes, announcer packs.

12 boxes, two 250g rerolls on two separate all common boxes:

1 legendary item (mount)
5 epic items (4 skins, 1 mount)
8 rare items (1 hero, 6 skins, 1 mount)

Shit still looks mighty generous. I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop and it be more crappy a-la Overwatch but that's a lot of skins and mounts in what basically amounted to 14 boxes. I had similar results before in the 20-30 I bought/earned previously. One interesting thing is that sprays, even though they aren't classified as particularly rare, seem to drop the least often. Almost every box had at least 1 voice line and emoji pack.

brian!

Rexxar would force more commitment on the payload but he still has to be kind of close, prob amazing as a deterrent when the payload hits the lane but a lot less value when it leaves exp range. As a pusher it's dangerous unless his team is around since he's easy to kill, and if his team is around you prob could have picked a better hero
__
Oh to be clear, im not proposing split pushing, im proposing giving up payloads because they give you no meaningful advantage and instead spending resources on better things.

Ketch

I think rexxar would be a lot better for stalling and mercing on the new map. Using misha to contest is pretty broken, can easily contest against two to three heroes depending on the comp.

The issue I think is that lanes are pretty useless I feel, it's not like dshire or braxxis where you can force your opponent off the objective by pushing their lane.

I think rexxar would be a lot better for stalling and mercing on the new map. Using misha to contest is pretty broken, can easily contest against two to three heroes depending on the comp.

The issue I think is that lanes are pretty useless I feel, it's not like dshire or braxxis where you can force your opponent off the objective by pushing their lane.

I played a game as Rexxar on PTR last night, and he's fantastic on the map. Easy to contest the enemy payload, and counts as 2 heroes for pushes. I had some issues because of the enemy team's stun-heavy comp, but otherwise was an easy win.

I'm pretty happy, since Rexxar is one of my most played heroes. I love breaking him out on Dragon Shire and Braxis, so another map for him pleases me.

brian!

I feel like a lot of the time the obj is in no man's land and easily deterred so i feel the opposite, pushing in lanes is huge i think. Boe and braxis are both in exp proximity but hanamura aint. Maybe it evens out a bit w/ the more valuable mercs but i kinda doubt it. If the mercs are valuable for exp on this map there is no reason they shouldnt be taken on cd like in league or dota

Maledict

I think the mercs are garbage tbh, except the boss late game for the win. Time spent on them is time not on a payload or in lane. Maybe that's just the quality of my matches on the PTR mind you.

I also think Genji is amazing versus Rexxar - he gets past the pair, deals tons of damage, and either kills him or then flips back out before the bear can stop him.

brian!

Im working off of hearsay where i think i read that mercs give more exp on this map (biggest complaint for 2 lane maps is lack of comeback built into the map), but i might be mixing a bunch of things up

Genji might be biasing me in terms of how easy it is to stop the payload, i could stop a 3 man push easily and coax them into chasing (and therefore stop pushing), the value is insane. This qm w/ no healer though, so that might be a gigantic factor missing when i think about payloads

W/r/t spending time on the payload i find little reason to spend too much time pushing it...like it doesnt give you anything and falling behind in exp means that the enemy will be ahead a tier, meaning they can own all ensuing payloads. Like just wipe their team and there's your push

Alur

The radius on a payload is pretty big, though. And all it takes is one turning back. You can't reliably defend a payload shorthanded because it's too easy for that fight to turn due to how quickly you can get into the middle of each map and/or each lane.

My experience has been similar to Ketch and Maledict's. Laning doesn't seem to be worth as much on this map. Like I said before, the CORE folks said that Kaeo (I forget the spelling, but he's one of the Blizz devs) told them they sort of intended for this map to be way less reliant on laning and more on the objective itself. And I have no clue on the mercs in general experience wise, but I do like the turret and healing ones for pushing or defending a payload.

W/r/t spending time on the payload i find little reason to spend too much time pushing it...like it doesnt give you anything and falling behind in exp means that the enemy will be ahead a tier, meaning they can own all ensuing payloads. Like just wipe their team and there's your push

That's the point I/we are trying to make though. Thus far, nearly everyone is involved in payload movement or merc management. Blizz indicates this is how they see the map, as well. There's been very few people who have stayed in lane in my games, and those who have solo have gotten absolutely punished for it...and THAT is where the level advantage was coming from. It sort of went the opposite of what you're thinking.

Maledict

Oddish said that during the entire time at the summit, at no point did anyone get a keep down. The map just doesn't reward hard pushing it seems, beyond *maybe* taking an early fort for an extra free shot on a payload - if you can manage to get that one in.

brian!

Yeah that's explicitly what im talking about, early payloads are worth so little that it's a liability to spend too many resources on them and hammer (who's already amazing at defending payloads) or sylv in the 4 man should be a big priority because you can run the entire game w/ the advantage you get

Alur

I forgot about that but yeah, she did say that. Their videos looked a lot like my games. Tons of skirmishes and fights in mid.

I did manage to take boss to end game twice now. He is pretty mean. Not something to try if you know they are gonna contest.

Ketch

Genji might be biasing me in terms of how easy it is to stop the payload, i could stop a 3 man push easily and coax them into chasing (and therefore stop pushing), the value is insane. This qm w/ no healer though, so that might be a gigantic factor missing when i think about payloads

I think you may have been experiencing ptr mismatching.

brian!

I mean the payload is a deathtrap for the pushers, it doesnt feel hard to stop at all w/ minimal resources dedicated to it.

I was playing against syracuse's 3-man, it's not like ppl are tryharding or playing optimally, as genji tho they really cant do anything to stop you without losing out in the process. During the delay your team can surge ahead easily

Alur

Someone should make a 2.0 OT considering its almost a brand new game in terms of progression

Nirolak typically makes a thread for any big announcement. He did one for 2.0 reveal and one for
Genji/Hanamura on Monday. I would assume he'll make a launch thread next week.

Kioshen

I think the mercs are garbage tbh, except the boss late game for the win. Time spent on them is time not on a payload or in lane. Maybe that's just the quality of my matches on the PTR mind you.

I also think Genji is amazing versus Rexxar - he gets past the pair, deals tons of damage, and either kills him or then flips back out before the bear can stop him.

Whenever I can I always try to get the turret mercs before pushing one. It's really fast to do with greymane and you can dedicate less resources to push that way. Dragon buff is so so and heal token is more trouble than it's worth honestly but turret can get a lot of value.

brian!

I was reading someone suggest a dedicated jungler for the map and that kind of resonated w/ me. Obviously you wouldnt want to have a straight up jungler but having fast clear for it makes sense to me. I was kinda thinking about what kind of roles you need for this map and came up with: a global, a clearer, a chaser, and some way to frontload dmg. I didnt play with a healer but i kinda assume theyd be assigned to the payload push since it's easy to poke down pushers and have them be stuck in the middle of nowhere w/ low health

brian!

I wonder about tass and zarya after the nerfs, but im reading that there was an unmentioned patch note where zarya is also gaining energy at a higher rate

Kioshen

Should I wait until 2.0 to get into this game? I've just dabbled in the tutorial.

You can wait a little bit to get the maximum easy loot crates. I think you need minimum of a level 5 account to get the bonus 1000 gems so you can do that before it launches next week.

Alur

Should I wait until 2.0 to get into this game? I've just dabbled in the tutorial.

Definitely get to level 5 (basically any hero to level 5) if you can before next week. That'll get you 1000 gems. That may even work after the fact, though, not sure. Otherwise I'd just wait til Tuesday and then enjoy the faster leveling and quicker rewards.

kirblar

Definitely get to level 5 (basically any hero to level 5) if you can before next week. That'll get you 1000 gems. That may even work after the fact, though, not sure. Otherwise I'd just wait til Tuesday and then enjoy the faster leveling and quicker rewards.
Yup works after the fact. Waiting till 2.0 seems like the smart move. Just make sure you get a recruit-a-friend link before you start playing from someone to get the free Sylv/Raynor. Here's one if you need it https://battle.net/recruit/PTLSDRL8B6

Alur

That feel when you queue into a QM game and get Abathur and some squishies versus Sonya and Murky. We didn't stand a chance. They just ran into us every chance they got.

Alur

OKqY2VE.gif

I suspect it'd go something like this

I kind of hate that Arthas is popular again because so many ppl don't know how to play him and just end up feeding cause he has zero escape.

scoobs

I kind of hate that Arthas is popular again because so many ppl don't know how to play him and just end up feeding cause he has zero escape.
Good news is it's nearly impossible to kill him so it's actually quite difficult to feed

It's fascinating seeing how many people play this game on GAF in MOBA threads that pop up in the gaming section. There's tons of them and none of them visit us here in the community thread.

Top Bottom