• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT3| Chromiehounds

Alur

Difficult to compare since most sports hold these types of tournaments over weeks, while this one wrapped up within less than 2.

You're just not getting quality games the way Blizzard set it up this time. GFE was similarly hamstrung with Fan being in Europe for the last 2 weeks.

They aren't being paid for scrimming and pay is minimum wage.

Despite Zoia's complaints, as it stands these teams are looking at a bye week before the East/West Clashes plus one after. Our teams in the West will get the East Clash off, obviously, so that means at the minimum 3-4 weeks for most teams and 2 or so for qualifying teams. In the middle of the season. That's a pretty long break don't you think? And that's a shorter one than the first go 'round.

And I'm not talking about tournaments. I'm talking about the leagues themselves. The Premier League or Bundesliga run for months while other actual knockout tournaments occur concurrently during the same weeks (though Bundesliga does take a winter break). MLB runs from February spring training to October World Series and play 162 games from April 1st to early September before the playoffs even begin. NBA runs from October to July and sometimes play as many games as 4 in different cities in 5 nights. There's no reason a HOTS team or other esports equivalent can't play what amounts to two 10 week seasons (20 total) plus 2-3 weeks top for midsplit clashes and mid season brawl. That'd put them at a maximum of 29 weeks or, in the case of the minimum, 26 weeks, and leave them an extended period for Blizzcon or it's equivalent. There are 52 weeks in a year. They will have made 20 grand, assuming they stay in the league for both splits and make no money from sponsorship or streaming, which many of them do. That's not a bad deal at all, and hardly minimum wage when you break it down.

Truly don't think it's a lot to ask for players to basically spend 26-29 weeks with minimum breaks doing their job. Do you get weeks off at a time every 5 weeks at your job? A season in any physical sport is as much about who can adapt and grind through it as it is about skill. Why would it not be the same for these guys? The scene around this game is fledging at best. It felt bad with the first long break for the Eastern and Western Clash. We already see some teams not play for long periods if they miss the big events. It's unnecessary to break that long for everyone to accommodate one or two teams per region and the forward momentum helps fans remain attached like they would with any other league.

A big thing is sports actually being good for your body and spamming video games being completely awful for your body. In league for some teams they have in-house mental health/lifestyle coach shit but i dont think so for heroes beyond maybe back when korea actually sponsored teams. Dece amount of teams where going to the gym is a prerequisite too

I don't buy this as an excuse at all.

Yes, in a vacuum playing a game 8-12 hours a day is unhealthy but so is sitting at a desk in a cubicle. Countless people do both of these things (work 8 hours and go home and play til bed) in games like this. Unhealthy, yes, but hardly an excuse for a need for extra time off. Your body is your own responsibility or that of your team's in certain cases. Ideally teams would concern themselves with fitness but they don't need extra time off to do it.

Regarding physical sports being good for you, you're leaving out the most important part IMO. At least for American sports, the rigors of their sport and being in such good shape basically wears down their body by retirement such that many are more like 50-60 year old men when they leave the sport and not 30-40 year old like their actual age. I'd hardly call that being good for you. Their sports chew them up and spit them out due to the competitive nature of the thing. From head trauma to chronic knee and back and elbow pain, it's all an eventual symptom of working out so much and clashing bodies together at full speed for a decade or more. That's not something HOTS players are going to have to worry about.

brian!

Oh you guys are talking about breaks in casted games, i thought yall were talking about like vacation days and shit

@alur just talking about sitting in front of a computer for 10+ hours, agree that in an ideal world these ppl would hit the gym or something of their own volition but these are mainly kids who wouldnt unless compelled in some way (which bigger esports orgs do).

I know about pro sports deteriorating your body but that's from overstressing and pushing in a comp. environment not cuz physical activity is bad. You can say the same about esporting it up, imagine playing on a team hl style where the 4 other ppl call your shit out, question your moves, belittle you, etc., doing this for 10 hours+ (while the internet says you dont play enough), at least in pro real sports they have systemic help for stuff like that inhouse, esports is only starting w/ counseling, nutrition, etc.

I dunno i think wed both agree that na's issue is less the amount of practice and more the quality of practice

Alur I specifically left out the break part Zoia brought up when quoting you because I never cared about that part. I thought the off season for Dorm was way too long personally.
My issue is specifically that MSB contenders didn't have a week off. In particular that #2 from phase 1 had to face one of their toughest matchups right away.

These real sports teams are also wealthy enough to have B Teams to send out to let their athletes rest.

brian!

I mean it might make the score at the end of the season lose a bit of meaning if those teams wanna carry it that way but to me i feel like the better team won in all instances

brian!

Patch thing seems fair to me, personally i dont think the matches would have been outstanding regardless of msb proximity and def wouldnt expect week 1 to tell any sort of complete narrative, but def agree that a weekend of recap -> first matches next week would have felt more clean (tho very slow as alur points out and risks losing momentum from msb in terms of viewership)

Alur

Also WTF no Fnatic mount. Feels bad man. C'mon Blizz.

These real sports teams are also wealthy enough to have B Teams to send out to let their athletes rest.

In soccer/football, yes. Teams often field patchwork squads for lesser tournaments and so forth. In America it's generally frowned upon heavily by the populace when a team rests it's star players and it only happens regularly with a couple of teams in the NBA (mainly the Spurs). No one takes rest in the NFL unless their playoff seed is clinched or they are injured. In baseball they play 162 games in basically 180 days, so occasionally a player will get 1 day/game off to rest at critical points due to injury or age related concerns, but that's about it. Far from a week or two or more. In hockey you can get 26 stitches and lose 3 teeth from taking a puck to the face on Tuesday night and you'll be in the lineup come Wednesday. Pulled your groin or developed a hernia? If you can skate, you will skate. That's just the culture of that sport.

Teams here don't really do that kind of thing on the regular because having their stars in the lineup = money. People don't want to pay to see scrubs and unlike soccer/football the youth talent pool is still in college or high school (or in the case of hockey, junior hockey) and isn't available to put out on the field to entice fans with future talent.

I mean it might make the score at the end of the season lose a bit of meaning if those teams wanna carry it that way but to me i feel like the better team won in all instances

Yes, this is sort of my point with the whole thing.

They don't need the rest because it's going to come out in the wash anyway. The cream is going to rise to the top in the span of 14 weeks, 10 of which are the season. If that one "schedule loss" early in the season does them in, that sucks, but that stuff happens in every sport. Hell, it's a talking point for fans even here in America every summer when the Premier League fixture list is released because inevitably one or two teams get fucked around the holidays. IIRC Arsenal is one of them heading into this coming season. It's just part of the game, whatever the game may be.

brian!

Yeah i misinterpreted the convo as about limiting days of rest in order to make dem better soldiers, i dont think having to play this soon with some days to account for jet lag is unreasonable

Then they should have started off with more 2nd to 8th place teams or do more Fnatic-Zealots, Tempo-EiD matches.

It also means particularly in NA there's gonna be much fewer exciting matches left. What's there to look forward to now. GFE Tempo, R20 Tempo and Tempo R20 basically.

In soccer/football, yes. Teams often field patchwork squads for lesser tournaments and so forth. In America it's generally frowned upon heavily by the populace when a team rests it's star players and it only happens regularly with a couple of teams in the NBA (mainly the Spurs). No one takes rest in the NFL unless their playoff seed is clinched or they are injured. In baseball they play 162 games in basically 180 days, so occasionally a player will get 1 day/game off to rest at critical points due to injury or age related concerns, but that's about it. Far from a week or two or more. In hockey you can get 26 stitches and lose 3 teeth from taking a puck to the face on Tuesday night and you'll be in the lineup come Wednesday. Pulled your groin or developed a hernia? If you can skate, you will skate. That's just the culture of that sport.

Teams here don't really do that kind of thing on the regular because having their stars in the lineup = money. People don't want to pay to see scrubs and unlike soccer/football the youth talent pool is still in college or high school (or in the case of hockey, junior hockey) and isn't available to put out on the field to entice fans with future talent.
That's just reckless endangerment.

Alur

Which part? In the context of making millions of dollars, I think most of them are happy to be endangered instead of work like the rest of us.

Which part? In the context of making millions of dollars, I think most of them are happy to be endangered instead of work like the rest of us.
This part.
In hockey you can get 26 stitches and lose 3 teeth from taking a puck to the face on Tuesday night and you'll be in the lineup come Wednesday. Pulled your groin or developed a hernia? If you can skate, you will skate. That's just the culture of that sport.
I mean people in general are okay with endangering themselves for money but that shouldn't be lauded or seen as part of the game.

Alur

It's just a cultural thing for the sport. It'd be hard to understand if you don't follow it, for sure. I was surprised at the "tough guy" thing when I got into it as well.

To some extent, I can agree. I mean, I sure as hell wouldn't expect a player to take a puck to the face and then get back out there after they stitch him up in the locker room. That's insane, but it happens a lot. My oldest son plays travel hockey and I'm glad they wear cages in youth hockey to avoid that part of it, but even at his age there's an undercurrent of this from all of the kids with other injuries or what have you. It's definitely a bit of a peer pressure thing.

On the other hand, however, there's no doubt that hockey players play through nagging minor injuries that other professionals in other sports often do not and I feel that is to be applauded. So you tweaked your hamstring or have the flu? You make $15-25M a year as a basketball player or $10M as a football player or countless millions as a baseball player, get out there. You can gut that out to help your team once every other day and put on a show for the people who came to see you, even if it's a little diminished.

ElyrionX

I just tried laning Valla against Lunara. It's goddamn impossible. I can't stand off against her poison attacks and I keep getting bullied out of the lane, having to hearth back for health.

Kioshen

It's def insane but texas forever

The same thing happens up here in snow land. It's the same reason we can't take soccer/football seriously with all the fake throwing that goes around just to fish for color cards.

I just tried laning Valla against Lunara. It's goddamn impossible. I can't stand off against her poison attacks and I keep getting bullied out of the lane, having to hearth back for health.

You can't lane against her before 7 and even then it's just to bully her out of lane. Anybody with self-sustain or kill pressure is better.

brian!

Valla can beat lunara in lane but it's a skill matchup and you need to allow her to push you in while your cds are down. If you land your full combo on her you win the trade/all-in. If she's backing away after she pushes the wave in it's fine to zip past the wave if it's aggroed by turrets, youll be in exp range and get free dmg on her. You also can combo her during an outplay; if you feel like she's walking up for a q you can zip past it for your combo. Dodge the q (or wait for her to use it to clear the wave), hit your shit, u win. Also, it's unnecesary probably, but you can also get your stacks up before you poke/all-in, the ms from the level 1 talent lets you be a lot more confident. If you are ever exchanging autos with her make sure it's in your favor. And ofc dont let her put free dmg on you, if you cant avoid it make her pay before you e away

Should Valla even be solo laning?
The same thing happens up here in snow land. It's the same reason we can't take soccer/football seriously with all the fake throwing that goes around just to fish for color cards.

That's a different issue entirely. It could be solved by making video review be part of a referee's judgement. They are finally trying out electronic assistance to determine if a ball was a goal or not. Assistant referees calling Abseits or Goals wrong has been some of the biggest BS in soccer.

Kioshen

Should Valla even be solo laning?

That's a different issue entirely. That could be solved by making video review be part of a referee's judgement. They are finally trying out electronic assistance to determine if a ball was a goal or not. Assistant referees calling Abseits or Goals wrong has been some of the biggest BS in soccer.

I was mostly talking about the way some players go down on the ground with all the theatrics that comes along if another merely touches them. I might have gotten the terminology wrong. Good to know that they are stepping up technology wise in the sport. BS calls are a pain to deal with in any sports.

A little bit on topic, I can't deny the epicness of the MSB but I'm not surprised Fnatic aren't getting mounts. I think it was reserved for blizzcon champions no? Although Tempest was awarded one for the spring championship IIRC.

===========

Edit: Also thanks Brian for showing my silver badge that I'm trying so hard to hide. I honestly think Valla can't trade very well into Lunara but I do agree that you need to let her push into your towers to force her out. I sometimes need to adopt the greymane mentality in a lane and sometimes the best answer to a lane is just pounce on them and kill the opponent.

brian!

That's what happens when all the prototypes offered by the team are pics of horses w/ bakery's head photoshopped on

Id prob throw down 10k gold for that

I was mostly talking about the way some players go down on the ground with all the theatrics that comes along if another merely touches them. I might have gotten the terminology wrong. Good to know that they are stepping up technology wise in the sport. BS calls are a pain to deal with in any sports.

A little bit on topic, I can't deny the epicness of the MSB but I'm not surprised Fnatic aren't getting mounts. I think it was reserved for blizzcon champions no? Although Tempest was awarded one for the spring championship IIRC.
Oh yeah I just went a bit on a tangent, schwalbe as they are colloquially called in german when they pretend get hurt are a disservice to the sport and should be dealt with severely but we are far from that.

Every global champ got one last year. I only ended up buying the MVP one.

Maledict

Fnatic not getting a mount is really dumb. We had mounts last year for the three championships, I demand a Euro mount!

I hope the reason is they are going to be adding team support stuff for all the HGC teams, with a profit share going back to the teams org. That's what helps SMITE, a smaller MOBA, keep the orgs interested in it.

Kioshen

I also hope they do implement some profit share framework in the shop. It could help some lower tier teams without sponsors to help solidify their footing a little bit.

brian!

I had the opposite happen to me, we had both leoric and malth but had no way of keeping cho still or killing auriel + the other heroes that i cant remember. Wed get cho prtty low in entomb, hed q away, and wed be like hold up we're dead

Alur

Damn, the summer bundle only gives you 1 skin tint? Weeeeeeeaaaaaak

Yeah, not a fan of this shit at all. They did the same thing with Murkalot et al and I bought it before I noticed.

Doesn't really seem worth the value especially when you can't pick which of the tints you want.

Milly79

Yeah that is pretty gougy after taking a look at it all.

1 tint in the bundle, yet Tracer has 5 and Tychus has 10 over 2 "skins".

600 per tint, 2.4 for the big dick Tychus and the mounts?

Not sure where they think people are getting all these shards from, but hey at least I don't have to care about it.

scoobs

At the same time I understand its a business and they have to convince people to buy loot boxes somehow. I just wish I didn't buy the bundle because I wanted the other skin tints but oh well. Live and learn.

list of legendary skins included

Cyb'arak Anub'arak

Cobalt Cyb'arak Anub'arak

Crimson Cyb'arak Anub'arak

Mystic Kingdoms Arthas

Frozen Mystic Kingdoms Ar
thas