• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oni Jazar

Great information on upcoming Fox titles!

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/showthread.php?t=264076

A few members of the HTF staff are down in LA for a Blu-ray media event this week. Yesterday we met with Fox and they showed us some highlights of some upcoming BD titles:

Die Hard 4 (November 20th): Only available as part of the Die Hard Collection. It is the theatrical cut. Only the DVD has the unrated extended cut. Fox reiterated that there wasn't enough time to put the extended cut on BD. There is also a BD-J game with a funny intro by Kevin Smith. To win the game you have to go through three levels of a building without being detected.

Independence Day (December 4th): 27Mb/s. There is a BD-J game that uses persistent storage to save your place in the game. The game starts the movie with a list of things on the bottom of the screen that you have to find (glass of ice water, newscaster with glasses, etc). When you see an item you move the curser to it and click enter. There are different things to find every time to play the game.

I Robot (2008-TBD): In addition to going through the menu, you can access special features anytime during the movie by using the appropriate color button. There are 3 commentaries accessible by selecting the green button on the remote. The blue button pulls up the index, the yellow button the trivia track and the red button accesses featurettes that are relevant to the section of the movie you are in.

Master and Commander (2008-TBD): 25 Mb/s. Has a my scenes feature to save you favorite moments. It doesn't appear that you can share them online like you can on some Universal and WB discs. There is also a map that you can activate anytime to see where the ships are in relation to each other (similar to the assassin tracker in Smokin' Aces).

Sunshine (2008 TBD): This is Fox's first picture with true PIP technology. If you don't have a profile 1.1 compatible player, you can watch the PIP files in a full screen mode (they are in standard def so they don't look as good in full screen, but at least you are given the option of still being able to see them). In addition to PIP, you can also change the audio mix. You can pull up a menu that shows the 5 speakers, and select the one that you want the computers voice to come through. Not sure why you would want to change this on the fly, but you can.

Die Hard 4 Special Edition DVD (November 20th): On disc two of the special edition DVD are two windows media copies of the film. On optimized for Windows Plays For Sure devices, and the other optimized for PCs with Windows Media. Both files have DRM and can only be played back on one device. The PC file is 1.5Mb/s while the portable is approx 700Kb/s. The support site will be http://www.foxdigitalcopy.com. There was an indication that WB will also be including something similar on the new Harry Potter release.

Maxwell House said:
LOL, nm, I am all screwed up today. I realized the one Onix posted isn't the one with slants, this one is:
you call that slanted? it's exactly what he said. what's slanted about it?
dallow_bg said:
:( indeed. if these damn hackers cause my movies to become unwatchable, I will sit and stew about it on an Internet forum! (because that's all I'll be able to do.)

Oni Jazar

Same thread this time information from Panasonic:

Today we will have the opportunity to meet with Brad Bird (director of Ratatouille) and will be heading to Panasonic Labs where they will be unveiling their new DMP-BD30AKplayer. Rumor has it that it will be a BD Live (profile 2.0) player and street for $500. The DMP-BD10A will get a price reduction to $399. I will have more details on this later today.

For those that missed the last page there is also information on Fox's new titles and I'm sure there will be more as the day continues.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Ignatz Mouse said:
I keep trying to second guess the Warner thing, and I am coming up empty.

The comment about player prices could mean that they want to go Blu, and player prices now make that possible. Or it could refer to the new lows in HD-DVD player prices.

Then again, given that money is probably involved regardless of the format they choose, it's all rationalization (as was Paramount's press). $ > Reason.

absolutely. No point trying to guess what happens as logic is out of the window for now.

now is actually a good time to announce one way or another. Try and affect market share leading into Black Friday and the holidays in general. Waiting until January means you've left your peak sellign season behind.

Although unless Warner has secretly been mastering all the big HDDVD titles on bluray, ready to release them in Q4, I don't see how it will necessarily help them.

Wulfer

OokieSpookie said:
I think it is amusing how so much can change in a few days.
More and more people on the AVS and Highdefdigest forums are starting to shift to a belief that now WB may go blu and many who jumped out of the gate at the rumor earlier in the week are oddly silent or all of the sudden going with the "of it did happen it would not be a big deal" defense.

Speaker
"We were hoping the consumer would decide [through sales], but now it seems like we will have to decide for them."

Now, if I was a betting man that one statement says we would like for sales to have determinded the way were headed but that's probably not going to happen and we have to change our strategy.

Where in that line does it show pro Blu-ray I'm curious because correct me if I'm wrong Blu-ray is leading in sales? Right?

That's certainly not a pro Blu-ray statement! I think you can follow that and as for this change of heart I don't see it!

That said I believe like many of you that WB may stay neutral and they're pushing their pay out higher with each PR.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
bune duggy said:
you call that slanted? it's exactly what he said. what's slanted about it?
:( indeed. if these damn hackers cause my movies to become unwatchable, I will sit and stew about it on an Internet forum! (because that's all I'll be able to do.)
Sad face because I know Fox is worried about piracy on HD media.
It's what caused their original delay on BD support.

Kolgar

The conference, if there is one, is probably just to reaffirm commitment to both formats and dispel all the rumors that have been running rampant lately.

Though with their contract with the BDA expiring, the timing is rather interesting.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Unless Warner is offered some ridiculous sum of money (dwarfing :aramount's alleged 150 mil) I think they will wait to see how the holidays pan out before announcing exclusivity one way or another.

On another note did anyone pick up the spike lee movie that came last Tuesday? Inside Man I think is the title.

mollipen

Even though it would be a big plus for Blu-ray (the side I'm hoping wins), if Warner were to suddenly announce that they were going Blu-ray only, they really should still release all of the HD-DVDs that they've announced for this year. When Paramount did what they did, that was a really shitty move, so at least let the HD-DVD folks count on the titles that they were promised.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Oni Jazar said:
Same thread this time information from Panasonic:

For those that missed the last page there is also information on Fox's new titles and I'm sure there will be more as the day continues.

interesting. I wonder if most CE manufacturers will skip 1.1 and just go straight to 2.0? Only real differences appear to be more persistent storage and internet connectivity.

Wulfer

Someone think's something big is up!

I just got an e-mail that Warner has invited major press, including the AP to an previously unscheduled press event on the 31st on relatively short notice.

Could be something as innocuous as new releases or something really significant, but it was implied that it was an unusual event and major announcement(s) would be made.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=930349

Yea yea it's from AVS so sue me! First the poster is a long time poster and not a new member!

Kintaco

WULFER said:
Speaker

Now, if I was a betting man that one statement says we would like for sales to have determinded the way were headed but that's probably not going to happen and we have to change our strategy.

Where in that line does it show pro Blu-ray I'm curious because correct me if I'm wrong Blu-ray is leading in sales? Right?

That's certainly not a pro Blu-ray statement! I think you can follow that and as for this change of heart I don't see it!

That said I believe like many of you that WB may stay neutral and they're pushing their pay out higher with each PR.

I think the fact that it was said at a Blu-Ray event is what has people believing they are chosing Blu-Ray.

KBox

KBox said:
Here's the answer to all our problems in the format war.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/10/30/circuit-city-lists-lgs-bh200-combo-hd-dvd-blu-ray-combo-at-7/

Circuit City lists LG's BH200 combo HD DVD / Blu-ray combo at $799

Days like these... said:
Is that the gimped player? The one that doesnt support all hd dvd features? Cause if it's not gimped that is really tempting price.

I'm not sure. Can anyone comment on this. Yes, it is a tempting Price.

mollipen

Come on Warner... pick a side tomorrow. Help put a nail in one of the two coffins, so we can get closer to having this war be over.

Oni Jazar

shidoshi said:
Come on Warner... pick a side tomorrow. Help put a nail in one of the two coffins, so we can get closer to having this war be over.

Unfortunately if Warner picks HD DVD then the studio split will be dead even: Disney, Sony, Fox v. Paramount, Universal & Warner.

Kolgar

Days like these... said:
Unless Warner is offered some ridiculous sum of money (dwarfing :aramount's alleged 150 mil) I think they will wait to see how the holidays pan out before announcing exclusivity one way or another.

Then again, why wait to see who wins when you yourself can choose the winner?

Wulfer

Oni Jazar said:
Unfortunately if Warner picks HD DVD then the studio split will be dead even: Disney, Sony, Fox v. Paramount, Universal & Warner.

Is it really with 21st century feet dragger on Blu's side?

theBishop

Banned
Oni Jazar said:

The result of Warner going HD-DVD exclusive would be that both formats die within 2 years.

Both slog it out with basically even quality libraries. Consumers don't buy either format, and minor leads in hardware sales aren't enough to tip the balance.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Oni Jazar said:

Yeah, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that the marketplace will be completely changed and Fox/Disney would then likely be neutral by next year. This is THE biggest HD movie studio out there right now. With THE biggest catalog of titles, PLUS all the New Line stuff (LOTR).

Warner going to either side won't kill the other side, but it will definitely define the battle for the next year and beyond. I think we may be past the point of a short-term winner (meaning in the next year), but Warner's move will definitely signal either Blu Ray crushing HD DVD sales by a factor greater than the current 2-1 or HD DVD pulling ahead in software sales during the next year and (considering their standalone lead) putting HD DVD in the driver's seat next year. Basically HD DVD will be in software next year were Blu Ray is now if Warner goes HD DVD. And if Warner goes Blu, then expect 3-1 and 4-1 ratios until Toshiba throws in the towel.

Both slog it out with basically even quality libraries. Consumers don't buy either format, and minor leads in hardware sales aren't enough to tip the balance.

I'm sure that's your view as a Blu Ray supporter, but if you think having Warner, Paramount, and Universal exclusive is "even quality libraries" you're off your damn rocker. Take your blinders off.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
So how bout those movies? I hear theres some little unknown comic book movie out today i think spider something?

Idunno about the rest of you but i have bought 13 blu-rays in the past few weeks. Many people said they werent buying stuff because of paramount and uncertainty about this crap. Personally i wasnt buying anything becuase there was hardly anything i wanted, until these past few weeks.

mollipen

VanMardigan said:
Yeah, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that the marketplace will be completely changed and Fox/Disney would then likely be neutral by next year. This is THE biggest HD movie studio out there right now. With THE biggest catalog of titles, PLUS all the New Line stuff (LOTR).

Problem is, Fox has a history of not giving a crap about logic and doing their own thing (supporting Divx over DVD initially, then dragging their feet in getting into DVD after Divx died), and Disney is usually not much better. If Warner goes HD-DVD, I would honestly not be surprised if both Fox and Disney decided to stick with Blu-ray for as long as they possibly could; and, at that point, as theBishop said, both formats could be stuck being nothing more than niche products.

If Warner goes HD-DVD, and it's really over for Blu-ray, then I hope Fox and Disney go as well ASAP. I have no confidence in them doing so, though, if you look at how those two companies usually act.

I'm sure that's your view as a Blu Ray supporter, but if you think having Warner, Paramount, and Universal exclusive is "even quality libraries" you're off your damn rocker. Take your blinders off.

God, come on - it has nothing to do with blinders. Paramount + Universal + Warner vs. Sony + Disney + Fox. Disney is huge, Fox is mega huge, and Sony is probably the weakest of all of those, but they still have a decent catalog. It'd be enough of a split to possibly create a stalemate.

All preference for format aside, looking at things as a general consumer, there are a few things I really want from the HD-DVD side (Dawn of the Dead 2004, Army of Darkness, Batman Begins, a couple others), but the number of titles that I absolutely need isn't huge. Looking at what I "need" from the Blu-ray side, if Warner went HD-DVD, my purchasing interests would pretty much be split between the two formats evenly. I'd then either need both, or none, and I've long said that there's no way I'm going dual format: either I have one, or I have none. I'm sure a lot of your "average" consumers are the same way.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
shidoshi said:
Problem is, Fox has a history of not giving a crap about logic and doing their own thing (supporting Divx over DVD initially, then dragging their feet in getting into DVD after Divx died), and Disney is usually not much better.

Fox has made some inflammatory statements, so I agree they'll probably stick around with Blu for at least another 18 months or so if Warner goes HD DVD (if for no other reason than to save face). Disney, on the other hand, has worked on HD DVD technology (HDi), is currently working with Microsoft on their HD encodes, and may be more willing to take a softer stance (neutral) by the end of next year or so. This is all speculation, of course, because those wishing for a swift end to this are not being realistic.

God, come on - it has nothing to do with blinders. Paramount + Universal + Warner vs. Sony + Disney + Fox. Disney is huge, Fox is mega huge, and Sony is probably the weakest of all of those, but they still have a decent catalog. It'd be enough of a split to possible create a stalemate

I don't think you understand what I'm saying. The catalog disparity between the two would be huge. The BDA companies had a big box office year, but Paramount/Dreamworks, Universal, and WB/New Line absolutely dwarf the BDA companies in terms of content. No comparison, and it's not an opinion based on what movies you personally like or don't like.

theBishop

Banned
VanMardigan said:

Except the marketplace will not be significantly changed. PS3 remains by far the top-selling HD-player. Standalone sales are essentially even. I'm sure the new $200 Toshiba player would make a difference, but can't compare to PS3.

So software sales are going to be dominated by Blu-Ray for the foreseeable future. Fox and Disney aren't going to have a monetary reason to change sides just because Warner moves over to HD-DVD. It'll take a while even for $200 standalone HD-DVD players to reach parity with Blu-ray software sales.

Consumers and especially retailers won't put up with it. Brick-and-mortar stores will put their foot down, and HD discs will only be widely available online, thus ending the "format war " for good.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
theBishop said:
Except the marketplace will not be significantly changed.

Now I KNOW you're off your damn rocker. The studio with the largest HD marketshare AND the largest catalog of titles wouldn't change the marketplace by pulling their releases from BR?

You list a bunch of short term scenarios, but WB/New Line going exclusive to EITHER side, just like the Paramount announcements, is about more than just the short term (this holiday season).

theBishop

Banned
VanMardigan said:
Now I KNOW you're off your damn rocker. The studio with the largest HD marketshare AND the largest catalog of titles wouldn't change the marketplace by pulling their releases from BR?

You list a bunch of short term scenarios, but WB/New Line going exclusive to EITHER side, just like the Paramount announcements, is about more than just the short term (this holiday season).

WB going HD-DVD exclusive isn't going to balance the MASSIVE hardware disparity. Unless you're one of those who thinks PS3 doesn't exist, Blu-Ray discs are going to continue to outsell HD-DVD discs regardless of your opinion about library quality.

Its funny that you refer to my "short term scenarios" and then categorize the Paramount deal as "more than just short term". Last I heard, it was an 18-month deal with plenty of loopholes.

WULFER said:
Press releases are wonderful where's the meat and potatoes?

For fuck sake, they have put out more than any other studio short of Universal by the end of this year.
All of the harping on Fox is about two or three months late unless there is some eye condition that keeps people from seeing upcoming release lists.

mollipen

VanMardigan said:
I don't think you understand what I'm saying. The catalog disparity between the two would be huge. The BDA companies had a big box office year, but Paramount/Dreamworks, Universal, and WB/New Line absolutely dwarf the BDA companies in terms of content. No comparison, and it's not an opinion based on what movies you personally like or don't like.

But to be fair, are those big back catalogs going to matter for the next couple of years? Look how long it took for back catalogs to really be put to use for DVD; as the format was getting going, it was new releases with a smattering of back titles that were big-name stuff.

Unless the HD-DVD companies busted their ass to flood store shelves with back catalog stuff, if the Blu-ray side really pumped out the new releases day and date with DVD, they could continue giving the impression that the format is just as strong as HD-DVD is. They would have a very low chance to win at that point, but I certainly think they could cause a stalemate.

How many people keep saying "I don't want to re-buy titles I have on DVD, but I'll buy new stuff on HD when it comes out"? The battle for now, in my opinion, is around new content, and even with Warner gone, the Blu side could (if they wanted) keep up enough to make things messy.

Savvy purchasers will know that the best sense would be to go HD-DVD, but Joe Average walking into Best Buy could look at both formats, see how new stuff coming out on both, and decide to go for neither.

NekoFever

I just can't see Warner going neutral unless someone moneyhats them. 300 has been their biggest seller and the biggest overall HD seller. It sold somewhere around the 300k mark with Blu-ray 2:1 ahead, which means that to drop either format the figures go even lower. Next to the millions that it must have sold on DVD 300k is shit, and either 100k or 200k is even worse.

Apart from Sony because they obviously have a vested interest and are getting their cut from every BD sold, Warner seems to the only studio that's really doing reasonable business in HD. They drop back with everyone else if they stop being neutral unless, like I said, someone crosses their palms with enough silver to make it worth their while.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
theBishop said:
WB going HD-DVD exclusive isn't going to balance the MASSIVE hardware disparity. Unless you're one of those who thinks PS3 doesn't exist, Blu-Ray discs are going to continue to outsell HD-DVD discs regardless of your opinion about library quality.

Its funny that you refer to my "short term scenarios" and then categorize the Paramount deal as "more than just short term". Last I heard, it was an 18-month deal with plenty of loopholes.

1. That "massive" hardware disparity has produced a 65-35 edge. Of that "65", a third of that or greater is WB movies. Meanwhile, if you count the Ps3, it's what, a 90/10 edge in terms of players? Funny how that hasn't panned out into a parallel software lead. Yet, even after losing their best selling studio, and even through the effect that will have on HD DVD standalone sales in addition to their lower price, your magic 8ball says software sales remain the same? laughable at best.

2. 18 months is long term when compared to your previous scenarios basically just talking about this holiday season. No Paramount movies on Blu Ray until 2009 (outside of a Spielberg one IF he decides to release and IF that loophole holds). Yeah, I think that's enough to have an impact on the marketplace, and especially so if we are continuing our scenario where WB goes HD DVD exclusive.

3. It's not a "quality" of library argument, it's a "quantity AND quality" argument. IF WB/New Line go exclusive to either side, the content disparity (irregardless of personal preference) will be HUGE.

VanMardigan said:
I don't think you understand what I'm saying. The catalog disparity between the two would be huge. The BDA companies had a big box office year, but Paramount/Dreamworks, Universal, and WB/New Line absolutely dwarf the BDA companies in terms of content. No comparison, and it's not an opinionbased on what movies you personally like or don't like.

Sony + MGM accounts for 50% of all recorded movies out there so from a technical point, you're wrong. That being said, a huge portion of that is pre 1970, which doesn't tend to tear up the charts in terms of sales.

If Warner were to go HD-DVD exclusive, I don't see Disney being able to hold out that long. The sales are small enough that it wouldn't hurt sales per se, but most of the movie studios would just prefer to see a single winner to allow them to focus consumer attention on that format so these physical formats aren't completely stillborn.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Well since no one seems to want to talk about anything except Warner and ifs and buts(candies and nuts) and hypothetical future predicting. I'll see ya'll tomorrow after either nothing happens or Warner does something.

I think i know why DJK doesnt post in here much anymore.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
theBishop said:
no, that's the answer to continued problems with the format war.

Reading comprehension ftl. No where did he say it would end the format wars. However it does give peace of mind as you no longer have to worry about who wins. So it does solve 'our problems' in that regard.

Snah

Banned
I can only see a Warner announcement making a big impact for the Blu-Ray camp.

Warner has already shown their preference for HD-DVD the past year. Where is my Batman Begins or V for Vendetta on Blu-Ray? Warner might as well be HD-DVD exclusive.

But if Warner pledged exclusive blu-ray support that would turn the tides significantly in Blu-Ray's favor. It would be the final nail in the coffin for HD-DVD as far as I'm concerned.

theBishop

Banned
Days like these... said:
Reading comprehension ftl. No where did he say it would end the format wars. However it does give peace of mind as you no longer have to worry about who wins. So it does solve 'our problems' in that regard.

I think you misinterpreted both posts.

He said the hybrid player is "the answer to all our problems in the format war".

Our "problem" with the format war is the format war. I'd rather see HD-DVD win than have two incompatible formats slumping along, with retailers stocking both of them.

If everybody buys hybrid players, the war will never end (see: DVD+/-R).

I find it amusing that we're arguing over the impact WB would having going neutral. Not that the arguments aren't somewhat reasoned, just that's it's over a hypothetical case, and with no real data to inform it (ie, what kinds of deal WB is being offered).

Anyway, the personal impact of a WB announcemnt for me:

Pro-Blu: nada
Pro-Hd-DVD: I shop around for a reasonable player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom