• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oni Jazar said:
Unfortunately if Warner picks HD DVD then the studio split will be dead even: Disney, Sony, Fox v. Paramount, Universal & Warner.

If I'd have to choose, I'd take Paramount, Dreamworks, Univeral and Warner over Disney, Sony and Fox any day, no doubt about that. On the other hand: a choice like that still sucks.

NekoFever

theBishop said:
If everybody buys hybrid players, the war will never end (see: DVD+/-R).
If everyone buys hybrid players the war becomes irrelevant, just like the choice between DVD-R and DVD+R. To be honest I can see that becoming the way things go if there aren't any megatons regarding studio support in the next year or so. And it might work out - people can buy HD movies regardless of format and the studios can stick in their little cabals.

Brakara

theBishop said:
If everybody buys hybrid players, the war will never end (see: DVD+/-R).

But if everybody have hybrid players, would it really matter? At least the the competition is good for some reasons... region free discs, more extra (advanced) content, faster price drops, etc.

theBishop

Banned
NekoFever said:
If everyone buys hybrid players the war becomes irrelevant, just like the choice between DVD-R and DVD+R. To be honest I can see that becoming the way things go if there aren't any megatons regarding studio support in the next year or so. And it might work out - people can buy HD movies regardless of format and the studios can stick in their little cabals.

the war is not irrelevant. hybrid players reach enough penetration for both formats to survive, but lots of other players don't support both. Retailers have to carry twice as much merchandise. Uninformed consumers stare slack-jawed at the shelf until someone sorts it out for them.

It'll be worse for movies. Retailers simply won't put up with it.

Crisis

Banned
I just bought the Spider-Man trilogy! Really nice boxset. Slightly disappointed with the picture in the first movie, but I popped in the third one to see how it looks. WAY better.

Forsete

Gold Member
Those Warner comments are interesting. Made during the Blu-Ray event and mentioning 300 sales..

The Paramount deal might have caught the BDA on the bed, I wonder if BDA has striked a deal with Warner (IIRC Sony - while not the only company behind BD, has deeper pockets than Toshiba)? BDA deal + superior sales = ??? Hmm, we'll see what happens tomorrow.

Now I'm getting nervous. :D

Wulfer

Frankfurter said:
If I'd have to choose, I'd take Paramount, Dreamworks, Univeral and Warner over Disney, Sony and Fox any day, no doubt about that. On the other hand: a choice like that still sucks.

Yep, that's a no brainer for me too, not even a comparison to question.

theBishop

Banned
Forsete said:
Those Warner comments are interesting. Made during the Blu-Ray event and mentioning 300 sales.. Hmm, we'll see what happens tomorrow.

The Departed was a Warner movie too. I believe it was the first time we got to see a high profile movie release on both formats on the same day.

StoOgE said:
really, would that make your movies more enjoyable?

As if there weren't a lot of people cheering when Paramount went HD-DVD only....

Edit: FWIW, I used to say I didn't care about WB becoming Blu-only, but now I would be very happy, as it would mean they weren't in danger of going HD-DVD only... plus it might make room for Uni to switch sides.

Forsete

Gold Member
Warner choosing Blu-Ray = WW2 when russia entered the war against Germany. Sealed the deal.

Warner choosing HD-DVD = trench warfare. Millions of losses per km/gain. The split would be 50/50.

Doom!

Chemo

StoOgE said:
really, would that make your movies more enjoyable?
No, but it would end the format wars, which should -- emphasis on should -- make everyone in this thread happy. If Warner were stupid enough to go HD DVD exclusive, it'd be a high def format war stalemate. Do you really fucking want a stalemate in this ridiculous war? Shouldn't you, as an HD media enthusiast, anticipate the moment when an HD format takes the lead and erases consumer confusion to allow for a much higher rate of adoption and the disposal of an extra, unnecessary format?

mollipen

NekoFever said:

Not even close; it's nothing like DVD-R and DVD+R. With writable disc formats, you stock product from a variety of different companies, and that product can all sit on one shelf together.

With HD-DVD and Blu-ray, you have to have a physical product for each and every movie title you want to sell. That's a LOT of product. Two formats, you have to have two copies of EVERY movie on the shelf, otherwise a person who doesn't have a dual-format player can't buy your movies. Can you even begin to imagine how much product that is? Take the DVD section of any store that carries it, then double that.

For DVD-R / DVD+R, you need ONE piece of physical product to satisfy customers: a spindle of blank DVD-R media, or a spindle of blank DVD+R media. Because of that, having dual formats existing together really isn't all that big of a deal. With movies, you have content-specific product to stock, and even as large as the DVD section is at your local Best Buy or whatever, they can't begin to carry all of the movies that are currently out there for sale. Now we're expecting that they can carry an equal amount of product for not one, but TWO new formats?

Completely and utterly different situations.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Chemo said:
No, but it would end the format wars, which should -- emphasis on should -- make everyone in this thread happy. If Warner were stupid enough to go HD DVD exclusive, it'd be a high def format war stalemate. Do you really fucking want a stalemate in this ridiculous war? Shouldn't you, as an HD media enthusiast, anticipate the moment when an HD format takes the lead and erases consumer confusion to allow for a much higher rate of adoption and the disposal of an extra, unnecessary format?

Unnecessary format? Call me when BRD does half the interactive stuff HDDVD does.

There are a few possible scenarios...

Scenario 1)
WB goes BR effective on the spot like Paramount:
BR has exclusive on Harry Potter for the holidays
BR has exclusive on the Oceans movies for the holidays
BR has exclusive on Blade Runner for the holidays
That also goes for Pan's Labyrinth, Shootem up and Rush Hour 3 ( even though they are timed anyway for BR).
Also they would not make an announcement without some release news also so you would probably hear finally about Matrix and Batman Begins releases as well as hyping The Dark Knight.
Also I think Weinstein would very soon after make an announcement of BR support in either a dual or exclusive fashion.

Scenario 2)
Warner goes BR effective Jan 1 2008:
Honestly not as bad of an impact ...more of a slow boil that will just build as weeks go by.
WB still gets the payout from both format's holiday sales.
Weinstein announces BR support in either an exclusive or dual fashion.

Scenario 3)
Warner goes HD:
WB goes HD effective on the spot like Paramount:
HD has exclusive on Harry Potter for the holidays
HD has exclusive on the Oceans movies for the holidays
HD has exclusive on Blade Runner for the holidays
That also goes for Pan's Labyrinth, Shootem up and Rush Hour 3
Also they would not make an announcement without some release news also so you would probably hear alot of hype for The Dark Knight and the The Dark Knight prequel release.

Soon after Weinstein would solidify their hd stance.
I also think it would put a hefty kink in PS3 sales for the holidays.

Scenario 4)
Warner goes HD effective Jan 1 2008:
Honestly not as bad of an impact ...more of a slow boil that will just build as weeks go by.
WB still gets the payout from both format's holiday releases.
Weinstein solidifies their stance.
PS3 takes a hefty kink in holiday sales.

Scenario 5)
Warner stays put, announces renewed dual support and continues waiting for the right offer.

StoOgE said:
Unnecessary format? Call me when BRD does half the interactive stuff HDDVD does.

I hope your phone is free, because it will be ringing before long.
There is really not that much that will not be hitting BR very soon.

Ignatz Mouse said:
We're about due for somebody to try to make the analogy to the videogame console market...

I don't see why it's a bad analogy.

IMO all format wars are stupid; and at the very least the movie industry doesn't have the dearth of shovelware that is spawned because competing platforms sustain them.

Worse I can think of is The Abyss > Leviathan > Deep Star Six. :p

But at least the whole undersea movie trend died off after a year. Not to mention that only the most fervent movie nerd will remember the crap non-Abyss titles well past their shelf life. :p

Meanwhile we're still getting hammered with god awful me-too FPS games to fill the void for a Halo on non Xbox platforms. If only the software were allowed to compete.

AUGH!

But I digress. . .

I have been purchasing Blu-Ray movies of late. Best Buy had a couple goodies on sale for $14 and then Full Metal Jacket came out; and I never purchased that on DVD due to the lack of a widescreen release in the West. >:|

Any word on Nightwatch / Daywatch hitting HD? Daywatch was swept under the rug, not given a theatrical release that I recal; and released on DVD this freakin' week. >:|

Forsete

Gold Member
BD 1.1 is confirmed for PS3 and Sunshine will be the first movie to use it?

My Sunshine will ship on 2007-11-07.. Awezuhm. :)

The Take Out Bandit said:
Any word on Nightwatch / Daywatch hitting HD? Daywatch was swept under the rug, not given a theatrical release that I recal; and released on DVD this freakin' week. >:|

Fox doesn't seem too keen on releasing small/foreign/arthouse films on Blu-ray. I'd kill for Once on Blu-ray, but it's not happening... yet.

mollipen

StoOgE said:

Honestly, playing minigames and connecting to other users via my movie are completely unnecessary to me. I want the movie in HD, and that's all I care about.

lupin23rd

StoOgE said:

Interactive features which are unnecessary in the first place. What's your number?

Any features that aren't Jackie Chan or Tony Jaa outtakes / bloopers are pretty much unnecessary in the first place.

TToB, that was my point, sorta. Usually about now, somebody makes the case that consoles have sepearte, sustained platforms so why not movies?

And then we go over why that would suck.

djkimothy

distantmantra said:
Hehe. I picked up the box set this morning.

It's $70 CND here is Best Buy.

Some friends and I are going to Syracuse in a couple of weeks to do x-border shopping. So I'll pick up the box set then. I'll actually contribute to Neilson numbers! :lol

The so-so transfer on Spider-Man 1 and the lack of extras on 1 and 2 kinda make me less excited about running out to get this. Which is sorta silly, since I have the extras on DVD already. I just hate that they gimped them like that.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Put me in the 'don't care about extras, and much less ONLINE extras' group.

Perfect PQ and AQ is all I want.

jackie chan bloopers are pretty cool though :D

djkimothy

It's sad to hear about the tansfer for SM1, but that and SM2 were decent enough for me to get it. I'm just not in a hurry.

Ratatouille though is my big anticipated release.

Snah

Banned
Ruh Roh...

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Warner/Warner_Mulls_Change_in_High-Def_Strategy/1123

"One thing that may be changing is our strategy," he said. "When both formats launched and hardware prices were high, we made a decision to support both formats and let the consumer decide. But now that hardware pricing is affordable for both Blu-ray and HD DVD, it appears consumers no longer want to decide — so the notion of staying in two formats for the duration is something we are re-evaluating now that we are in the fourth quarter."

Silverberg went on to emphasize the Warner's strong Blu-ray sales, noting that the studio's Blu-ray release of '300' is the format's top selling disc. "We can definitely talk Blu-ray," said Silverberg. "We are committed to the format."

Did this end comment get posted? Looks like, if anything, Warner is poised to reaffirm their ties to Blu-Ray and hopefully will decide to go Blu-Ray exclusive and put this 'war' to an end.

Chemo

StoOgE said:
Who the fuck cares about "interactive stuff," as you so technically stated it, Stooge. Please stop trumpeting that bullshit. Films are films. You are pretending to give a shit about a feature that has zero impact on movies in order to give your format of choice some legs to stand on. BRD will have that BS "interactive stuff" soon enough, and as soon as it gets it I seriously doubt we'll ever hear any of you guys who build it up so much even whisper about it again.

Snah said:
Ruh Roh...

Did this end comment get posted? Looks like, if anything, Warner is poised to reaffirm their ties to Blu-Ray and hopefully will decide to go Blu-Ray exclusive and put this 'war' to an end.

It certainly did not get posted here. Paints a much, much different picture!

Ignatz Mouse said:
The so-so transfer on Spider-Man 1 and the lack of extras on 1 and 2 kinda make me less excited about running out to get this. Which is sorta silly, since I have the extras on DVD already. I just hate that they gimped them like that.

I never got the first two movies on DVD, so it was a no brainer.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Ignatz Mouse said:
It certainly did not get posted here. Paints a much, much different picture!
Maybe the sarcasm was over my head, but Onix posted that maybe a page or two back.

EDIT: here we are:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8416913&postcount=17206

vanmardigan said:
Put me in the 'don't care about extras, and much less ONLINE extras' group.

Perfect PQ and AQ is all I want.
BD will, and I will never use them.
And I certainly don't want them if they get in the way of studio using a TrueHD 24bit track for audio instead of DD+ ala Transformers.

dallow_bg said:
Maybe the sarcasm was over my head, but Onix posted that maybe a page or two back.

EDIT: here we are:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8416913&postcount=17206

BD will, and I will never use them.
And I certainly don't want them if they get in the way of studio using a TrueHD 24bit track for audio instead of DD+ ala Transformers.

That link notes 300's sales, but omits the "we are committed to the format" quote.

SUPREME1

Banned
shidoshi said:
Not even close; it's nothing like DVD-R and DVD+R. With writable disc formats, you stock product from a variety of different companies, and that product can all sit on one shelf together.

With HD-DVD and Blu-ray, you have to have a physical product for each and every movie title you want to sell. That's a LOT of product. Two formats, you have to have two copies of EVERY movie on the shelf, otherwise a person who doesn't have a dual-format player can't buy your movies. Can you even begin to imagine how much product that is? Take the DVD section of any store that carries it, then double that.

For DVD-R / DVD+R, you need ONE piece of physical product to satisfy customers: a spindle of blank DVD-R media, or a spindle of blank DVD+R media. Because of that, having dual formats existing together really isn't all that big of a deal. With movies, you have content-specific product to stock, and even as large as the DVD section is at your local Best Buy or whatever, they can't begin to carry all of the movies that are currently out there for sale. Now we're expecting that they can carry an equal amount of product for not one, but TWO new formats?

Completely and utterly different situations.

Except they'd only stock what is necessary.. or in demand. It's not that complicated or space-consuming.

Let's say your average 'Target/Walmart/whatever' sells 1,000 DVD versions of 'science fiction movie' a week, and all of a sudden DVD is replaced by HD media.. They wouldn't stock 1,000 Bluray AND 1,000 HD DVD versions of 'science fiction movie'.

They'd do (according to recent sells nos.) about 650 Bluray AND 350 HD DVD.. or whatever they decided was needed.

And it would all fit nice and neat in the same a mount of space as what DVD 'used' to take up.

Yeah, I hadn't followed that link, just read the quote. That last statement makes it seem much more likely that they are going Blu-only in some fashion. I certainly don't see them going HD-DVD only after him making that comment.

justjohn

anyone getting kinda nervous? :lol i just want tommorow to come and whatever happens happens. the suspense is killing me. and all on halloween. great timing there guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom