• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

maynerd

Banned
DoctorWho said:
You know, I'm watching Spidey 3 again. I might be the only person who absolutely loves this movie.

I've never seen it but it's going to be mine.... OH YES it will be MINE. Along with 1 & 2 :)

Snah

Banned
DoctorWho said:
You know, I'm watching Spidey 3 again. I might be the only person who absolutely loves this movie.

I like Spiderman 3 as well.

Oddly enough, 2 is my least favorite one of the series.

Kolgar said:
Sounds like I may need to spend tomorrow in a bomb shelter. One with a fast internet connection!

If Warner does go exclusive, I have almost no doubt it will be toward HD DVD.

There's been too much momentum on the red side lately. Paramount went over (citing lower production costs and a more stable install base built on standalone players), Wal-Mart's gotten big shipments of A2s (and been forced to hang on to them until this weekend), there's the <$200 players, and even rumors of a 360/HD DVD combo machine.

Then we have the expiration of Warner's contract with the BDA, and a surprise press conference with very interesting timing. We have Warner executives citing the importance of hardware sales and press releases stating they hope to one day be able to include all the interactive features in Blu-ray that they do for other high-def formats. Obviously, standalone player sales and interactivity are important to them.

Tomorrow could be a very important day.

To butcher a quote from The Matrix Reloaded: "All of our lives, we have fought this war. Tomorrow I believe we can end it. Tomorrow is not an accident. There are no accidents. We have not come here by chance. I do not believe in chance. When I see inexpensive A2s at Wal-Mart, at Circuit City, at Costco. I do not see coincidence, I see providence. I see purpose. I believe it our fate to be here. It is our destiny. I believe tomorrow holds for each and every one of us, the very meaning of our lives."

MatrixReloaded-Morpheous_01.jpg

And another, because it's so fitting: "Buckle your seatbelt, Dorothy. Kansas is going bye-bye!" :lol

Where is all of this momentum?
For every person that sees momentum there are five people who see desperation.
There is NO momentum, dropping to bargain basement prices is not momentum it is clearance tactics. ( would be the same as saying that the PS3's multiple 'pricedrops' are some kind of momentum).
Transformers killed any momentum, that was HD's big gun for the foreseeable future and they could not win even one week.
They can dump all of the cheap players into the market that they want, it changes nothing because there will still be more PS3s sold month after month.
Paramount brought nothing to the party, and they are biding their time and counting their money until the contract is up again and laughing all the way to the bank.

All and all though this just reminds me of that other pro blu event that someone "leaked" on a board and then the next day nothing happened.

Wulfer

Ok guys did some more digging at AVS! The same guy the posted there will be a conference also stated this!

I'm not.

It was implied that it would be not a bad thing for HD DVD.

BTW, I got a similar note from a totally different source back in August. That turned out OK for you.

I was told I could not get any real hints or details, so it might not even be a bad thing for Blu-ray either.

Take it as a rumor if you wish but, this is from the same poster.

Sorry Ookie, for taking the wind out of your sails.

Kolgar said:
Sounds like I may need to spend tomorrow in a bomb shelter. One with a fast internet connection!

There's been too much momentum on the red side lately. Paramount went over (citing lower production costs and a more stable install base built on standalone players), Wal-Mart's gotten big shipments of A2s (and been forced to hang on to them until this weekend), there's the <$200 players, and even rumors of a 360/HD DVD combo machine.

Then we have the expiration of Warner's contract with the BDA, and a surprise press conference with very interesting timing. We have Warner executives citing the importance of hardware sales and press releases stating they hope to one day be able to include all the interactive features in Blu-ray that they do for other high-def formats. Obviously, standalone player sales and interactivity are important to them.

Tomorrow could be a very important day.

To butcher a quote from The Matrix Reloaded: "All of our lives, we have fought this war. Tomorrow I believe we can end it. Tomorrow is not an accident. There are no accidents. We have not come here by chance. I do not believe in chance. When I see inexpensive A2s at Wal-Mart, at Circuit City, at Costco. I do not see coincidence, I see providence. I see purpose. I believe it our fate to be here. It is our destiny. I believe tomorrow holds for each and every one of us, the very meaning of our lives."

MatrixReloaded-Morpheous_01.jpg

And another, because it's so fitting: "Buckle your seatbelt, Dorothy. Kansas is going bye-bye!" :lol

Wow, I hope you area ready for the disappointment that is Revolutions then bud. :lol

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Interesting extras on that new Panny 1.1:

Unique to the DMP-BD30 will be an SD Memory Card slot for playback of hi-def content recorded in the AVCHD format -- ie, hi-def camcorders using a digital memory card. The SD slot also allows for viewing of digital still images recorded to an SD Memory Card.

In addition to the Blu-ray standard 1080/24p playback, the DMP-BD30 also provides HDMI 1.3B, the most recent interface that offers 7.1 channel audio, the highest bandwidth, and increases step gradation from 8-bit 256 to 12-bit, 4,096.

WULFER said:
Ok guys did some more digging at AVS! The same guy the posted there will be a conference also stated this!

Take it as a rumor if you wish but, this is from the same poster.

Sorry Ookie, for taking the wind out of your sails.

Not quite sure how this "takes any wind" out of anything but thanks for thinking of me?

Snah said:
I'm sick of these fake 'insiders' that don't know shit.

Agreed.
All it seems to take this gen whether it is games or the format war is "hey someone told me" and immediately one side or the other flys off to hammer the reply button.
I do so so so hope there is an presser tomorrow.

Kolgar

OokieSpookie said:
Where is all of this momentum?
For every person that sees momentum there are five people who see desperation.
There is NO momentum, dropping to bargain basement prices is not momentum it is clearance tactics. ( would be the same as saying that the PS3's multiple 'pricedrops' are some kind of momentum).
Transformers killed any momentum, that was HD's big gun for the foreseeable future and they could not win even one week.
They can dump all of the cheap players into the market that they want, it changes nothing because there will still be more PS3s sold month after month.
Paramount brought nothing to the party, and they are biding their time and counting their money until the contract is up again and laughing all the way to the bank.

All and all though this just reminds me of that other pro blu event that someone "leaked" on a board and then the next day nothing happened.

Where's the momentum? Come on. Look around. Particularly at the short list I posted.

And "desperation"? Maybe that's what I'd tell myself if I was strictly Blu, but I simply see smart business. You can't sell software until you install a base of hardware. How else is Toshiba going to counter the small but significant PS3 Effect? They have to get players into homes. What about the price? Since Sony launched the original PlayStation back in 1995, it's been said time and again that $300 is a mass-market price point. $200 is much better.

Warner themselves said they were interested in how much hardware Toshiba would shift this holiday. Toshiba's taking the rock to the rack with sub-$200 players at Wal-Mart, Circuit City, Costco, Amazon. They're doing what they need to do, Chinese players be damned.

Transformers killed HD DVD's momentum? Hm. You know, the BDA had to run a BOGO sale to eek out a 2% win for that week. That was smart business too, as it resulted in a nice PR win. But it doesn't take away from the sales of Transformers. And do you really think the studios give a damn about 2% when the total market is so small? They must also get a laugh over Blu-ray getting so nearly outgunned by a format that the BDA has proclaimed "dead" many times.

And I'm sorry, but I'm still not convinced it's possible or even desirable to build a successful movie format using a game console. For many reasons relating to demographics and product positioning and convergence that I won't go into here. Regardless, I believe Paramount and even Warner have both expressed a preference for standalone players, whatever their reasons may be.

I agree with you; maybe nothing will happen tomorrow. But it sure looks interesting. And if it does, well... I already have both red and blue players, so I'm prepared. :lol

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Well amir says he doesn't think anything's going on tomorrow (though he's "retired" from HD DVD), and Dave Vaughn says he doesn't know of anything big going down.

Those two are about a good as sources as you'll get, and they both seem oblivious. Meaning, no HD DVD exclusivity almost for sure, and possibly no big exclusivity announcement, period.

Snah

Banned
Hell, if Warner simply announced batman begins and v for vendetta getting releases soon, I would consider that a major announcement. I'm sick of Warner making promises and not living up to them.

Kolgar said:
Where's the momentum? Come on. Look around. Particularly at the short list I posted.

And "desperation"? Maybe that's what I'd tell myself if I was strictly Blu, but I simply see smart business. You can't sell software until you install a base of hardware. How else is Toshiba going to counter the small but significant PS3 Effect? They have to get players into homes. What about the price? Since Sony launched the original PlayStation back in 1995, it's been said time and again that $300 is a mass-market price point. $200 is much better.

Warner themselves said they were interested in how much hardware Toshiba would shift this holiday. Toshiba's taking the rock to the rack with sub-$200 players at Wal-Mart, Circuit City, Costco, Amazon. They're doing what they need to do, Chinese players be damned.

Transformers killed HD DVD's momentum? Hm. You know, the BDA had to run a BOGO sale to eek out a 2% win for that week. That was smart business too, as it resulted in a nice PR win. But it doesn't take away from the sales of Transformers. And do you really think the studios give a damn about 2% when the total market is so small? They must also get a laugh over Blu-ray getting so nearly outgunned by a format that the BDA has proclaimed "dead" many times.

And I'm sorry, but I'm still not convinced it's possible or even desirable to build a successful movie format using a game console. For many reasons relating to demographics and product positioning and convergence that I won't go into here. Regardless, I believe Paramount and even Warner have both expressed a preference for standalone players, whatever their reasons may be.

I agree with you; maybe nothing will happen tomorrow. But it sure looks interesting. And if it does, well... I already have both red and blue players, so I'm prepared. :lol

300 on Blu-ray has sold more discs at launch than Transformers did on HD-DVD.

157,000 vs 115,000.

I'm sure Warner took note of this.

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
Has Warner announced Batman for Blu-Ray yet? The offical line from them was they don't want to release until all of the interactive features of the HD-DVD version can be done on Blu-Ray. With the latest 1.1 Blu-Ray profile update, it could just be Batman for Blu-Ray having 1.1 interactive features.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
So what were the true numbers for Transformers on HD DVD week 1?

EDIT:

157,000 vs 115,000.

That's what I thought.

Hey Kolgar:

I propose a bet.

If tomorrow, WB announces BD exclusivity (either starting now or in the new year) then you take a month ban.

And if they announce the same thing for HD-DVD, I will do the same (and believe me, it would be for the best).

Exclusivity could be all titles, or could be just new titles.

No exlcusivity, no harm, no foul.

Game?

VanMardigan said:
Well amir says he doesn't think anything's going on tomorrow (though he's "retired" from HD DVD), and Dave Vaughn says he doesn't know of anything big going down.

Those two are about a good as sources as you'll get, and they both seem oblivious. Meaning, no HD DVD exclusivity almost for sure, and possibly no big exclusivity announcement, period.

Yeah that is what I have been hearing and thinking also.
There is NO way that Warner would have a presser lined up tomorrow and you still not see anything on Highdefdigest.com or even IGN or anywhere else.
That doesn't mean that they still do not have some kind of press release or something being sent out or honestly doesn't even mean that there will not be a conference.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Snah said:
Hell, if Warner simply announced batman begins and v for vendetta getting releases soon, I would consider that a major announcement. I'm sick of Warner making promises and not living up to them.

yawn. I think the BDA is the one you should direct your anger towards. They're the ones that failed to live up to their standards promises.

And about the Panasonic, why bother with 1.1 at this point? When is 2.0 coming out? Plus, other than the 1.3b thing (which I'm still not sure what tangible benefits that'll provide), I don't see that as a better option than Ps3.

Just makes me even madder that I don't have a 60GB Ps3 thanks to that jerk.

ignatz, why are you doing a ban bet over this? Pretty lame, imo. Plus, if anything big goes down either way, this thread will be awesome.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
VanMardigan said:
yawn. I think the BDA is the one you should direct your anger towards. They're the ones that failed to live up to their standards promises.

And about the Panasonic, why bother with 1.1 at this point? When is 2.0 coming out? Plus, other than the 1.3b thing (which I'm still not sure what tangible benefits that'll provide), I don't see that as a better option than Ps3.

Just makes me even madder that I don't have a 60GB Ps3 thanks to that jerk.
The main plusses are that it can decode and send via bitstream all audio formats.

Kolgar

Cold-Steel said:

157,000 vs 115,000.

And how many did the DVD sell?

Numbers like this are so piddly, I believe it's hardly a consideration at this nascent stage.

Especially in comparison to other factors such as cost of replication and other things that affect long-term health and profitability.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Kolgar said:
And how many did the DVD sell?

Numbers like this are so piddly, I believe it's hardly a consideration at this nascent stage.

Especially in comparison to other factors such as cost of replication and other things that affect long-term health and profitability.
Then you agree the Transformers record for HD DVD means nothing.

VanMardigan said:
ignatz, why are you doing a ban bet over this? Pretty lame, imo. Plus, if anything big goes down either way, this thread will be awesome.

If I lose, I won't want to be here. The flood of trolls upon the Paramount announcement was bad enough.

And if I win, I'd love to see Kolgar (or anybody else who is "certain") get a comeuppance.

With Terminator 3 going to Blu-ray, I'm hoping we get some of the juicy exclusives like Batman Begins.

Batman Begins is one of the top selling HD-DVDs and I'm sure would do very well on Blu.

maynerd

Banned
Cold-Steel said:

157,000 vs 115,000.

They better have...

300 did about 210 million in the BO
Transformers did about 318 million in the BO

300 outsold TF in the first week with less hype and less units in the market.

TF did well but when you consider it did almost 1/3 less than 300 I would call that a disapointment.

Kolgar

Ignatz Mouse said:
Hey Kolgar:

I propose a bet.

If tomorrow, WB announces BD exclusivity (either starting now or in the new year) then you take a month ban.

And if they announce the same thing for HD-DVD, I will do the same (and believe me, it would be for the best).

Game?

Is that a hint? I think you just want to be rid of me, LOL!

Nah, thanks anyway man, but I've avoided betting and gambling since I lost $15 to another kid when I was ten. And my GAF privileges are FAR more important to me than whatever Warner may or may not announce tomorrow. :lol

Not only that, but the HD-DVD camp had all the interactive exclusives as well.

Kolgar said:
Is that a hint? I think you just want to be rid of me, LOL!

Nah, thanks anyway man, but I've avoided betting and gambling since I lost $15 to another kid when I was ten. And my GAF privileges are FAR more important to me than whatever Warner may or may not announce tomorrow. :lol

Weak! Boo urns! Defeatist! Wants to pull out of Iraq! Liked the Matrix Revolutions the best! Thinks Fantastic Four is the best comic book series ever!

Booooooo!

Kolgar

dallow_bg said:
Then you agree the Transformers record for HD DVD means nothing.

Pretty much I guess, yeah.

And Ignatz: Comeuppance? Aw, I don't mean any harm, I just calls 'em as I sees 'em and am having a little fun with the situation. :)

And Cold Steel: LOL

Raistlin

Kolgar said:

So you're just completely disregarding the statements the VP of high-def media at Warner Home Video said ... yesterday?

Kolgar

Onix said:
So you're just completely disregarding the statements the VP of high-def media at Warner Home Video said ... yesterday?

Yep, it was a PR event. Companies are TOTALLY COMMITTED to something until the moment they issue a press release saying they're not.

edit: OK guys, I'm out. Got some co-op Halo with a friend to attend to. See you tomorrow! :D

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Cold-Steel said:
Not only that, but the HD-DVD camp had all the interactive exclusives as well.

We still have those. Pretty awesome on that title, too. Though, I heard on XBLM that BR will receive a version of the movie with the exclusives once they get their act together.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I hope it turly is a BIG announcement (for either side) That way, the format war can be shortened and we can get to one standard sooner.

What time is the conference scheduled for?

Raistlin

Ignatz Mouse said:
Hey Kolgar:

I propose a bet.

Game?

How about if choice C happens (remain neutral for now) ... you both get a week ban? :D

Raistlin

AlteredBeast said:
I hope it turly is a BIG announcement (for either side) That way, the format war can be shortened and we can get to one standard sooner.

What time is the conference scheduled for?

The problem is that if its for HD DVD, I doubt it would really shorten the format war dramatically.

typo said:
Is there a way of identifying the old and new Fifth Element Blu-Rays (without opening the package)?

I believe one says "remastered" or something on the sticker at the top. I compared both of them at the store and I remember it saying something along those lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom