• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
HDNet Movies is going to be premeiring ten Hitchcock films on December 1st; should be a great preview for the inevitable HD-DVDs sometime next spring.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Kabuki Waq said:
i am not above admitting being wrong but can you provide some links of some sort? I am specially interested in the Ratio between VHS sales : DVD sales and DVD Sales: HD disc sales.

Obviously it would be silly comparing direct sales as before new movies came out to rent before sale and this took big chunk out of home video sales.
Quick google searching.
2006 players
rentals 2003

Meier

The funniest thing about this thread is that OokieSpookie knows the PS3 is dead in the water as a games console, so he has completely taken this over to feel better. :lol

Kolgar

chubigans said:
So uh...I haven't heard a thing about this WB conference tomorrow, outside of this thread. Is there any official links?

No official links. Best I've been able to find are a few posts stating that press and other industry insiders have been invited by Warner to attend a previously unscheduled press conference tomorrow.

Also, and I hate myself for mentioning this, but the infamous BeatBoy77 has intimated at AVS that several top-level execs from the BDA dropped what they were doing to catch a plane and go somewhere today. To bask in the glory of victory? To head off WB from announcing HD DVD exclusivity? To get that BDA contract renewed? Who knows.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=12062291&postcount=911

There's a lot of smoke, looks like we'll have to wait til tomorrow to see if there's fire.

mollipen

The Take Out Bandit said:
And I've been wishing you dead for a while now.

I REALLY hope that you want me dead over more than calling you on your bitching about HD media prices... otherwise, you've got far more serious problems than just not understanding the way markets work.

YYZ

Kolgar said:
No official links. Best I've been able to find are a few posts stating that press and other industry insiders have been invited by Warner to attend a previously unscheduled press conference tomorrow.

Also, and I hate myself for mentioning this, but the infamous BeatBoy77 has intimated at AVS that several top-level execs from the BDA dropped what they were doing to catch a plane and go somewhere today. To bask in the glory of victory? To head off WB from announcing HD DVD exclusivity? To get that BDA contract renewed? Who knows.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=12062291&postcount=911

There's a lot of smoke, looks like we'll have to wait til tomorrow to see if there's fire.
if there was a deal, could it go either way?

Meier said:
The funniest thing about this thread is that OokieSpookie knows the PS3 is dead in the water as a games console, so he has completely taken this over to feel better. :lol

That is your opinion, but thanks for bringing console war bullshit into this thread for the sole reason of saying my name.
Good stuff.

Kolgar

Also, since I haven't seen it posted, it looks like Toshiba player sales are on the rise following Transformers. And this is before the $198 A2s...

Home Media Magazine said:
Craig Kornblau, president of Universal Studios Home Entertainment and Universal Pictures Digital Platforms, has identified establishing a sub-$200 price point as a key to mass consumer adoption of high-def packaged media.

Sally said the price cuts were retail-driven — not manufacturer-driven — and signaled an early start of a high-definition holiday shopping season.

“There was no official move on our MSRP, but I’m happy to see the strong sales momentum on our players,” Sally said. “We experienced a great lift in player sales when Transformers (Paramount) was released, and the strong momentum continues.”

The studio, which released titles in both HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc, now distributes exclusively in HD DVD.

Sally said third-party research indicated Toshiba’s market share of next-generation, optical-disc players (including Blu-ray) has climbed to about 60%. She said the format also experienced a significant unit upturn with sales of HD DVD-enabled PC laptops.

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/news/html/breaking_article.cfm?sec_id=2&&article_ID=11448

@ YYZ: Absolutely.

OokieSpookie said:
That is your opinion, but thanks for bringing console war bullshit into this thread for the sole reason of saying my name.
Good stuff.

what a bastard. Just ignore him he came into this thread just to troll.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Meier said:

Wow man, what the hell.

Kolgar said:
Also, since I haven't seen it posted, it looks like Toshiba player sales are on the rise following Transformers. And this is before the $198 A2s...

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/news/html/breaking_article.cfm?sec_id=2&&article_ID=11448

@ YYZ: Absolutely.

There's also Kmart exclusively carrying HD DVD players.

Toshiba spokesperson Jodi Sally said Kmart, which is owned by Sears, would exclusively stock Toshiba HD DVD players in retail stores due to their lower price.

Well, I guess it's time for me to shop at Kmart.

The Main Event said:
There's also Kmart exclusively carrying HD DVD players.

Well, I guess it's time for me to shop at Kmart.

Any business is good business for either side, though I have to confess that there is only like one Kmart left near me that didn't close down.
I miss the slushi things with the bear that they used to always have.
Does that exclusivity count for their website too?

Dot50Cal

Banned
So uh, Spiderman 3 has this snazzy "time-bar" that pops up when you fast forward or rewind. The menu's are pretty slick too (60fps zomg?). Ill post a picture up tomorrow, but if this is where they are headed with the new profiles then its a good sign.

shidoshi said:
I REALLY hope that you want me dead over more than calling you on your bitching about HD media prices... otherwise, you've got far more serious problems than just not understanding the way markets work.

Physician, heal thyself:

shidoshi said:
I wish there was some sort of disease people would contract if they once again bring up the "Blu-ray / HD-DVD is overpriced!" argument.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
shidoshi said:

They are overpriced and worse, inconsistently and often arbitrarily priced. The hardware companies are able to reduce prices, while the entertainment IP owners, as they always have, refuse to budge even though that alone would help consumer adoption. They want their cake and they want to eat it.

But way to support them in that.

Or maybe I just don't understand how markets work as well as you do.

Stinkles said:
They are overpriced and worse, inconsistently and often arbitrarily priced. The hardware companies are able to reduce prices, while the entertainment IP owners, as they always have, refuse to budge even though that alone would help consumer adoption. They want their cake and they want to eat it.

But way to support them in that.

Or maybe I just don't understand how markets work as well as you do.

Dude, no offense but you work for a game company and as far as I am concerned games these days are not exactly good for the wallet.
*cough* legendary edition *cough*

High Def movies are expensive right now and that will change.
Fuck I paid $80 for my first VHS tape (Return of the Jedi) and I can not remember what I paid for my first DVD.
Things will change.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Man, this place turned into Shithead Central rather quickly over the course of an afternoon. Nervousness over tomorrow's announcement? Sandy vaginas? Who the fuck cares. Settle down and save the vitriol for later.

Narag

OokieSpookie said:
Dude, no offense but you work for a game company and as far as I am concerned games these days are not exactly good for the wallet.

Fuck I paid $80 for my first VHS tape (Return of the Jedi) and I can not remember what I paid for my first DVD.
Things will change.

Its an optional limited edition package alongside two other skus, not the only way to go as is the case with HD pricing.

Narag said:
Its an optional limited edition package alongside two other skus, not the only way to go as is the case with HD pricing.

Quite true all and all.
And I also am sure games cost alot to make.
My point is though that people bitch at game prices all of the time, just as they do high def media right now.
The difference is that movies will drop, and as many have said few people actually pay msrp for either.

Since I want to avoid reading through the douchebagery of this thread (I read the first post of this page and it was enough for me) can someone sum up what this announcement is supposed to be and who's supposed to make it?

C4Lukins

OokieSpookie said:

Things will change.

Speaking of console war bull shit.

fortified_concept said:
Since I want to avoid reading through the douchebagery of this thread (I read the first post of this page and it was enough for me) can someone sum up what this announcement is supposed to be and who's supposed to make it?

Honestly nobody can honestly confirm that there is even going to be one.
If anything goes down, there is equal reasons to believe that it could go either way or it could be reafirmation that they will stay neutral.
I honestly am thinking it is a non event.

C4Lukins said:
Speaking of console war bull shit.

Wrong, but nice try.
Console wars is "PS3 kicks 360s ass" or 360 kicks PS3s ass".
No console is being spoken of at all (nor should it be) , games in general and I do not care what system.

JCBossman

Banned
I just bought the HD-DVD attachment for the 360, I SWORE I wouldn't buy a Hi-Def format until this thing was settled but I got the Drive, king Kong a remote control, a seson of Heroes in HD PLUS 5 Really solid(they changed the list titles in HD to GOOD SHIT such as Full metal Jacket and a bunch of other good shit... for $172 from Amazon Shipped

JCBossman said:
I just bought the HD-DVD attachment for the 360, I SWORE I wouldn't buy a Hi-Def format until this thing was settled but I got the Drive, king Kong a remote control, a seson of Heroes in HD PLUS 5 Really solid(they changed the list titles in HD to GOOD SHIT such as Full metal Jacket and a bunch of other good shit... for $172 from Amazon Shipped

For the price it was honestly a great great deal

mollipen

Eel O'Brian said:
Physician, heal thyself:

I didn't say what kind of disease. Maybe it's a nice disease. Maybe when you catch it, it makes you smell like strawberry cake, or makes you look ten years younger.

Stinkles said:
They are overpriced and worse, inconsistently and often arbitrarily priced.

Yup... just exactly like DVDs were when they launched. And, just like DVDs, HD-DVD and Blu-ray titles will go down over time, and as the install base grows.

OokieSpookie said:
Honestly nobody can honestly confirm that there is even going to be one.
If anything goes down, there is equal reasons to believe that it could go either way or it could be reafirmation that they will stay neutral.
I honestly am thinking it is a non event.

Oh, it's just a rumor then. Thanks.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
OokieSpookie said:

Things will change.

No offense, but a game, let's say not one I work on, let's say, Resistance, or Orange Box, typically gives you significantly more entertainment value than a movie. A movie I watch too much, let's say, Dune, I watch three, four times max.

And does a Blu Ray come with a hemet? NO it fucking does not. No helmet, no value. I have not bought an entertainment product that did not ship with a helmet since the last paperback edition of Beowulf.

Aww yeah I saw Planet Earth on HD-DVD at wal-mart the other day. damn. DO WANT, CAN'T AFFORD!

Anyways whos winning the format wars as of now anyway? OP hasn't been updated since early June. And I don't feel like going through a thousand posts etc.

JCBossman

Banned
Stinkles said:
No offense, but a game, let's say not one I work on, let's say, Resistance, or Orange Box, typically gives you significantly more entertainment value than a movie. A movie I watch too much, let's say, Dune, I watch three, four times max.

And does a Blu Ray come with a hemet? NO it fucking does not. No helmet, no value. I have not bought an entertainment product that did not ship with a helmet since the last paperback edition of Beowulf.

I agree, also never do ANYTHING serious without putting a "Raincoat on your Fireman" and go for High priced hookers, as my Mom used to say Quote: "Do you REALLY wanna fuck a girl EVERYONE can afford?"...Think about it...:D

games are expensive to make and are only availiable to a small audience who own certain machines. even then they only appeal to a certain demographic in that small group. Even at their high prices making a game is a big risk. 5 million dollar games arent guranteed to be profitable. A 5 million dollar movie almost certainly is after cinema screenings, dvds and rental. When HD movies are ten dollars less then games, games are a comparative bargain.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Sally said third-party research indicated Toshiba’s market share of next-generation, optical-disc players (including Blu-ray but excluding PS3 because that would make their numbers look bad) has climbed to about 60%

fixed

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I would just like to say that if Warner goes blu ray today I fully expect the same level of self-righteous indignation from the blu ray camp as when paramount went hd dvd. Now before anyone tries to justify any sort of hypocrisy by coming in here with doomsday scenarios claiming Warner going blu ray is good for blah blah. lest I remind all of you that a moneyhat is still a moneyhat

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Days like these... said:
I would just like to say that if Warner goes blu ray today I fully expect the same level of self-righteous indignation from the blu ray camp as when paramount went hd dvd. Now before anyone tries to justify any sort of hypocrisy by coming in here with doomsday scenarios claiming Warner going blu ray is good for blah blah. lest I remind all of you that a moneyhat is still a moneyhat

that would of course depend on whether a moneyhat was involved.

and there were plenty of 'single format' advocates on here who were pissed at the paramount deal - not becuase it meant more support for HDDVD specifically, but it meant a prolonging of this 'war'.

M3wThr33

Banned
Yeah. As far as anyone was concerned, the Paramount thing basically extended the debate for at least another year. It was done BECAUSE Blu-Ray was maintaining a strong lead.
WB's deal would serve to increase the tilt one way or the other, because frankly a balanced sales chart isn't going to help anyone.

Wulfer

fortified_concept said:
Oh, it's just a rumor then. Thanks.

Seeing how it's your Blu-ray renewal contract day, if I was you I'd be praying for some news! Just a hint. If all goes quiet that's no skin off my nose and it probably means better things for HD DVD.

Also for the record I think WB will still be neutral holding out for a bigger pay out, but I could be wrong. HD DVD did pull some good strings with Paramount maybe they can do it again. I don't know?

Snah said:
I like Spiderman 3 as well.

Oddly enough, 2 is my least favorite one of the series.

I rented SM3 last night, and watched it with my wife, who passed on it in the theater. She liked it much more than 1 or 2, precisely becuase it did not take itself so seriously, and she liked the Emo Hi-Jinks (and anybody who doesn't think that Emo Parker is an intentional joke is not watching carefully).

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
the bombzen, are they dropin?

Ignatz Mouse said:
I rented SM3 last night, and watched it with my wife, who passed on it in the theater. She liked it much more than 1 or 2, precisely becuase it did not take itself so seriously, and she liked the Emo Hi-Jinks (and anybody who doesn't think that Emo Parker is an intentional joke is not watching carefully).

He may have been an intentional joke, but it doesnt make it any better. I thought it was somewhat mildly amusing antics (and was pretty sure most of it was intentional) but it was out of the place in the series..

my main problem wasnt the general goofy sections (all three had those) it was the undeveloped badguys that were all thrown at the screen at once. The story should have been Harry/Pete for 2 hours.

I still love the first two movies (the second moreso than the first)... but number 3 was one of my biggest disapointments of the year.

nubbe

I didn't like Spiderman 3 when I first saw it. But when I watched the movies chronologically it all come together much better and strengthen the movie for me. I like it now.

It also looks really great on Bluray. I love the reanimation scene of the sandman after he has been transformed.

Wulfer

StoOgE said:
the bombzen, are they dropin?

He may have been an intentional joke, but it doesnt make it any better. I thought it was somewhat mildly amusing antics (and was pretty sure most of it was intentional) but it was out of the place in the series..

my main problem wasnt the general goofy sections (all three had those) it was the undeveloped badguys that were all thrown at the screen at once. The story should have been Harry/Pete for 2 hours.

I still love the first two movies (the second moreso than the first)... but number 3 was one of my biggest disapointments of the year.

Stooge I totally agree with you. I was so looking forward to seeing Spider-man 3 (even went a one of the special previews) and I walked out thinking I paid for that? It's like the director had no care in how he used Venom and I was pissed because of that! Don't get me started on the Peter I've cool coffee pub scene (I thought to myself what the hell is this shit) for 10-15 minutes. Sandman was the only thing done right in this movie! I too still love Spider-man 1&2 but, I'm going to forget Spider-man 3 was ever made!

nubbe said:
I didn't like Spiderman 3 when I first saw it. But when I watched the movies chronologically it all come together much better and strengthen the movie for me. I like it now.

It also looks really great on Bluray. I love the reanimation scene of the sandman after he has been transformed.

That sequence is amazing.

My wife's opinion aside, I do think that SM3 is the weakest of the series, just not as bad as it's made out to be. If it weren't for the rushed-and-hokey final act, it might even be my favorite. But that ending was pretty bad.

Back to the WB thing: No matter what happens, believe that moneyhats were involved. How could they *not* be? It'd be dumb for WB not to take cash along with whatever they are deciding.

Hey Days... for all your pre-emptory remarks about righteousness, you never seemed too upset about that after the Paramount deal..

Oddly enough, I felt the same way.

I absolutely hated Spiderman 3 after seeing it in theatres. But now that I've run through the movie (on its own) the second time, I find myself actually liking it.

Spiderman 2 > Spiderman > Spiderman 3.

That's exactly how it should be.

I'm a Wal-Mart Manager and we just received direction today that this friday we will be having a mini black friday like sale with TV adverstising supposed to be happening tomorrow or Thursday. The Toshiba HD DVD player will go for $99 (it seems like the $198 price point was smokescreen as our district and regional level management seemed to know little about the pricing in some of the initial email communication we received) there will be an assortment of HD DVD's for $14.98, and our Sanyo 50" plasma TV for $999. There are several other items that will be offered at discounted prices but these were the hottest items.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=915664&page=36

If true, I know what I am buying my family for Christmas. :D

I doubt the HD-DVD player price is true, but the $14.88 HD-DVD sale does seem to have merit. I hope that's true. I need to buy more movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom