• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mollipen

VanMardigan said:
At this point, you DON"T HAVE A CHOICE!! Aside from faked PiP and special features in HD, Blu Ray doesn't really have anything to offer you beyond dvd. Let's talk when the kickass special features arrive on your format. Right now, you're just spouting hot air on something you don't have a choice on.

Why do you always take the stance that only your opinion is right? I've seen countless special features on DVD releases, and NONE of them have ever done much for me. (Save director's commentary.) I've seen a few of my friend's HD-DVDs, with their wiz-bang HD-DVD-only special features, and none of them did anything for me. I don't give a crap how interactive they want to make things: I want to watch the movie, and typically, that's it.

I know that you want to think that anything anybody says that may be anti-HD-DVD is some Blu-ray agenda, or simple ignorance, but you know, sometimes it's neither. I don't care how fancy HD-DVD interactivity may be - I just don't give a damn.

I'm for interactivity only if it fosters the growth of HDM.

The general consumer consensus is that people just want movies in HD. That's it.

Raistlin

typo said:
Is there a way of identifying the old and new Fifth Element Blu-Rays (without opening the package)?

Look on the back ...

Under Audio, 'English Dolby TrueHD 5.1' will be listed.

Also, the Dolby TrueHD logo will be on the bottom (above Columbia Pictures logo).

Mrbob

So Warner will be announcing exclusitivity tommorrow?

The thread title change of HD movie fan Suicide Watch couldn't be more apt at the moment!

Who goes down in flames tommorrow? :D

rc213

Mrbob said:
So Warner will be announcing exclusitivity tommorrow?

The thread title change of HD movie fan Suicide Watch couldn't be more apt at the moment!

Who goes down in flames tommorrow? :D

Everyone when Warner announces their new and improved Total-HD Blu-Ray/HD DVD/HVD Discs.

I'm all for special features in movies I like. It gives me something else to watch, and IMO adds value to the price of the movie.

And for both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD those asshole companies need to start sucking dick to add value to that overpriced shit. When you're averaging $29.99 for a god damn movie, you shouldn't have to think too hard as to why consumers are continuing to purchase the feature laden DVD releases at half the price.

UGH!

Incidentally, WTF with Daywatch?!

I went to Best Buy and the sales monkey was like, "Oh we got one copy in and sold it."

ONE COPY?!

So I went to Target. Screw you Best Buy - and you don't even sell maple syrup, bitches! >:|

mollipen

The Take Out Bandit said:
And for both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD those asshole companies need to start sucking dick to add value to that overpriced shit. When you're averaging $29.99 for a god damn movie, you shouldn't have to think too hard as to why consumers are continuing to purchase the feature laden DVD releases at half the price.

I wish there was some sort of disease people would contract if they once again bring up the "Blu-ray / HD-DVD is overpriced!" argument.

shidoshi said:
I wish there was some sort of disease people would contract if they once again bring up the "Blu-ray / HD-DVD is overpriced!" argument.

And I've been wishing you dead for a while now.

We can't always get what we want, but we can get lower movie media prices over time.

gkryhewy

We can't always get what we want, but we can get lower movie media prices over time.

Jesus H Christ, remind me not to piss you off.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man

Its not tomorrow yet, but thats not very nice sir.

Sorry no tolerance for shit.

As a consumer, I'm not pleased with any company running up in my wallet.

If you want to take cumshots to the eye for your HD pixels, fine. Don't expect the rest of us to bust out the "Yes'm boss!"

If you want to take cumshots to the eye for your HD pixels, fine. Don't expect the rest of us to bust out the "Yes'm boss!"

Then you are in the wrong thread.
Honestly if you are only in here to complain and troll the formats then leave.

captive

Yes i want the best HD picture possible, best audio possible, all the extras in a world i want it now and i want it cheaper than that old piece of shit format called DVD. Fight The Power! /eyeroll.
Get a life man.

OokieSpokie said:
Then you are in the wrong thread.
Honestly if you are only in here to complain and troll the formats then leave.
Big. Fucking. Dot.

captive said:
Yes i want the best HD picture possible, best audio possible, all the extras in a world i want it now and i want it cheaper than that old piece of shit format called DVD. Fight The Power! /eyeroll.
Get a life man.

Big. Fucking. Dot.

what extras man? most blu rays movies dont even have HD extras. Blu ray and hd dvd movies should be maybe $5 extra but when they are double the price of a dvd its a fucking rip off.

Hell you know most of the HD discs will be double dipped a year down the road anyways.

Kabuki Waq said:
what extras man? most blu rays movies dont even have HD extras. Blu ray and hd dvd movies should be maybe $5 extra but when they are double the price of a dvd its a fucking rip off.

A Clockwork Orange (2-disc DVD set): $19.99
A Clockwork Orange (Blu-ray, includes HD documentary on Malcolm McDowell): $19.95

Sorry, what?

captive

Kabuki Waq said:
what extras man? most blu rays movies dont even have HD extras.
Then DONT BUY THEM. And dont post in this thread.
Blu ray and hd dvd movies should be maybe $5 extra but when they are double the price of a dvd its a fucking rip off.
Where the fuck do you shop? Right now on amazon.com the two disc special edition DVD of 2001 Space Oddyssey for 19.99 or you can buy the Blu-ray edition with all the same extras for gasp, 19.99. Frys had a 9.99 sale. Something too much?

Hell you know most of the HD discs will be double dipped a year down the road anyways.

_leech_ said:
A Clockwork Orange (2-disc DVD set): $19.99
A Clockwork Orange (Blu-ray, includes HD documentary on Malcolm McDowell): $19.95

Sorry, what?

thanks for post the one of the VERY few Hd discs out there with decent pricing and one HD extra. Truly you are a Hero.

Raistlin

:lol

Funny response or no, it doesn't change you're being insincere, hyperbolic, or a moron - take your pick - when you keep quoting $29.99 for HD media prices.

Who in the hell pays MSRP?

captive said:
Where the fuck do you shop? Right now on amazon.com the two disc special edition of DVD for 19.99 or you can buy the Blu-ray edition with all the same extras for gasp, 19.99. Frys had a 9.99 sale. Something too much? Then DONT BUY THEM. And dont post in this thread.

THEN DONT BUY THEM WAAAAH WAAAAAH WAAAAH. Dont POST WAAAH WAAAAH

take it easy. I buy Blu ray discs but its not hard to see Majority of the discs simply are not worth the price and will be double dipped. Last i checked this was a discussion thread rigth now we are discussing. You would be silly to discount the fact that HD disc are on life support right now BECAUSE of the price.

captive

Kabuki Waq said:
THEN DONT BUY THEM WAAAAH WAAAAAH WAAAAH. Dont POST WAAAH WAAAAH

take it easy. I buy Blu ray discs but its not hard to see Majority of the discs simply are not worth the price and will be double dipped. Last i checked this was a discussion thread rigth now we are discussing. You would be silly to discount the fact that HD disc are on life support right now BECAUSE of the price.
Was i talking to you? No. But ill respond to your retard edition argument anyway.
You should follow your own advice, if you dont like whats being offered, dont buy them. Its pretty fucking simple, how do you tell companies your not satisfied with their product? STOP BUYING IT.

and casuals that will determine the success of your platform.
Casuals dont buy 400 dollar dvd players, nor do they buy thousand dollar HDTVs, or even know how to hook up anything that doesnt have a yellow cable, or for the most part give a rats ass about internet extra features, retarded java games, trivia games or anything else other than the movie. Seems like we are in quite a conundrum then if our desired one format hd optical media is going to last.

Or maybe we can give the "casuals" more credit and not assume they are stupid enough to pay MSRP, afterall advertised sales arent mass marketed for the "hardcore" who know about the sale before its advertised.

Onix said:

Funny response or no, it doesn't change you're being insincere, hyperbolic, or a moron - take your pick - when you keep quoting $29.99 for HD media prices.

Who in the hell pays MSRP?

also who pays MSRP for regular dvds too?

the price comparison to dvds will always be there.

captive said:
Was i talking to you? No. But ill respond to your retard edition argument anyway.
You should follow your own advice, if you dont like whats being offered, dont buy them. Its pretty fucking simple, how do you tell companies your not satisfied with their product? STOP BUYING IT.

but then i would not have this thread reeking of Fanboy desperation to entertain me.

Raistlin

Kabuki Waq said:
also who pays MSRP for regular dvds too?

the price comparison to dvds will always be there.

And have you seen the street prices for new deluxe DVD's? They aren't exactly cheap either. Regardless, of course you're going to pay some premium for BD / HD-DVD over DVD in most cases. Why in the hell wouldn't you? It's superior.

To claim its generally 2x however, that is just complete bullshit.

Onix said:

And have you seen the street prices for new deluxe DVD's? They aren't exactly cheap either. Regardless, of course you're going to pay some premium for BD / HD-DVD over DVD in most cases. Why in the hell wouldn't you? It's superior.

alright maybe 1.5x. Still not justified IMO.

Onix said:

Not only that but I think he needs to visit Mr Peabody for a trip in the way back machine and take a look at year one dvd prices.

captive

Kabuki Waq said:
but then i would not have this thread reeking of Fanboy desperation to entertain me.
So you dont give a shit about either, your just here to troll and to be a troll? Good to know.

Raistlin

Kabuki Waq said:
and casuals that will determine the success of your platform.

And DVD's have always been cheap? Crap, new releases aren't even cheap now in many instances.

I love how people continue to compare current prices as though HD media needs to take over now ... immediately ... right this second. Cause yeah, that's how DVD took over. The studios don't expect some sort of mass exodus from DVD ... why in the hell should you?

captive said:
So you dont give a shit about either, your just here to troll and to be a troll? Good to know.

it would be trolling if i didnt buy blu ray discs and did not have an interest. But i do have an interest. I have bought Discs.

All i said was that HD discs were overpriced and you guys jumped all over my Innocent and Unbias self.

captive

Onix said:
And DVD's have always been cheap? Crap, new releases aren't even cheap now in many instances.

I love how people continue to compare current prices as though HD media needs to take over now ... immediately ... right this second. Cause yeah, that's how DVD took over. The studios don't expect some sort of mass exodus from DVD ... why in the hell should you?
Because this is the internet information age. It must be done five minutes ago, now, immedietly or it is a failure. Like i said above they want their HD movies with the best possible audio and video and all the HD extras in the world for cheaper than DVD!

it would be trolling if i didnt buy blu ray discs and did not have an interest. But i do have an interest. I have bought Discs.
Im amazed you found discs cheap enough that were worthy of dusting off the 'ol wallet to crack it open and pay these outrageous prices.

Raistlin

Kabuki Waq said:

If you aren't invested in HD media ... nor have plans to be ... why the fuck are you posting in this thread?

This is the very definition of trolling. WTF?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
So uh...I haven't heard a thing about this WB conference tomorrow, outside of this thread. Is there any official links?

Raistlin

captive said:
Because this is the internet information age. It must be done five minutes ago, now, immedietly or it is a failure. Like i said above they want their HD movies with the best possible audio and video and all the HD extras in the world for cheaper than DVD!

Certainly. Of course this simply shows they have no historical perspective, and serves only to make them look idiotic.

Onix said:

comparisons will always be there as of right now do you really think HD disc will take over DVDS in as decisive fashion as DVDs took over VHS? If this was suppose to be the next big format change can we atleast admit that it is off to a really slow start?

Onix: I am invested i am just not blind. A lot of HD dvds cost more than they should IMO. deal with it

Mrbob

rc213 said:
Everyone when Warner announces their new and improved Total-HD Blu-Ray/HD DVD/HVD Discs.

Haha I forgot about TOTAL HD.

If this happens stick a fork in high def movies, its done.

Total failure all around.

captive

Kabuki Waq said:
comparisons will always be there as of right now do you really think HD disc will take over DVDS in as decisive fashion as DVDs took over VHS? If this was suppose to be the next big format change can we atleast admit that it is off to a really slow start?
Uh DVD took till like 2002 or 2003 to overtake VHS, wasnt exactly decisive. More like a slow transition. The first players came out in 1996 in japan, 1997 elsewhere.

Raistlin

Kabuki Waq said:
comparisons will always be there as of right now do you really think HD disc will take over DVDS in as decisive fashion as DVDs took over VHS?

:lol DVD did NOT take over in a decisive fashion. Christ, it was only a few years ago that they even went greater than 50% of media sales for the year.

If this was suppose to be the next big format change can we atleast admit that it is off to a really slow start?

:lol x infinity

They're selling faster than DVD did. And that's while in the midst of a 'true' format war ... and up against what has now become highest selling media format in history.

That doesn't mean one of them will eventually unseat DVD, but to try and call out HD media as being off to some terrible start is simply inaccurate.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Sorting Amazon HD DVD and Blu Ray discs by price, lowest to highest is the most disgusting and sad thing I have ever seen as a consumer.

captive said:
Im amazed you found discs cheap enough that were worthy of dusting off the 'ol wallet to crack it open and pay these outrageous prices.

Because right now my finances allow me to get ripped off once in a while. I am not taking a Moral stance, I just believe HD discs are overpriced and price is part of the reason why they are not Flying off the shelves.

djkimothy

Stinkles said:
Sorting Amazon HD DVD and Blu Ray discs by price, lowest to highest is the most disgusting and sad thing I have ever seen as a consumer.

No, the fact that Canadians still pay $10 more for PS3/360 games is.

Onix said:
:lol DVD did NOT take over in a decisive fashion. Christ, it was only a few years ago that they even went greater than 50% of media sales for the year.

:lol x infinity

They're selling faster than DVD did. And that's while in the midst of a 'true' format war ... and up against what has now become highest selling media format in history.

That doesn't mean one of them will eventually unseat DVD ... but to try and call HD media as being off to some terrible start is simply inaccurate.

i am not above admitting being wrong but can you provide some links of some sort? I am specially interested in the Ratio between VHS sales : DVD sales and DVD Sales: HD disc sales.

Obviously it would be silly comparing direct sales because in the past new movies came out to rent before sale and this took big chunk out of home video sales.

Raistlin

Kabuki Waq said:
i am not above admitting being wrong but can you provide some links of some sort? I am specially interested in the Ratio between VHS sales : DVD sales and DVD Sales: HD disc sales.

Obviously it would be silly comparing direct sales as before new movies came out to rent before sale and this took big chunk out of home video sales.

I'll attempt to dig it up ... though they probably have been posted in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom