• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hidden Golf game on Switch accessible via feels

DarkTom

Wow I almost want to buy a Switch next year now...

That man was great, I mostly stopped to watch Nintendo Directs since he's gone.

Spinluck

RIP Iwata, the Switch was an incredible vision that wouldn't have been possible without him.

b91.jpg_large

Amazing tribute from Nintendo.

sfried

"直接"

BigBossSalute.gif

It wasn't even the fact there was a built-in emulator with a Golf ROM that's surprising. It's just the entire execution of it...

L~A

That's a really neat tribute, though my guess is whoever added it never intended it to be discovered (I mean, we only found out about the emulator from hackers, and I doubt they have Nintendo's blessing).

Thank you, whoever added this ^^

Also, finally realised why the emulator was called "flog"... was so stupidly obvious.

DMiz

Beautiful story. It's almost unbelievable how, when this was first initially discovered, much of the conversation surrounded whether or not this reflected the comings of a Virtual Console to the Switch (or whatever else it could mean, especially in the wake of the Nintendo Arcade announcements).

But now that we know the full story of this, it's honestly an amazing way to serve as tribute to Iwata. It still feels like not too long ago when we had lost him and a great portion of the gaming community collectively felt the loss.

It's amazing to see how well the Switch is doing and how Iwata has helped helm that vision -- and it's amazing that this is effectively Nintendo's way of giving tribute to the man while simultaneously such a symbolic gesture of having him watch over every Switch.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
"直接"

BigBossSalute.gif

It wasn't even the fact there was a built-in emulator with a Golf ROM that's surprising. It's just the entire execution of it...

The 'directly' motion gesture required to access the game is what elevates this tribute to the level of a work of art for me.

I think they must have been banking on this being discovered.

The real tribute isn't the fact that this game is on the firmware, it's that, on the next anniversary of his death, millions of Switch users will stand up and imitate him in their own homes. I find that an incredible piece of benign social engineering. I can't really think of anything that is even remotely similar.

For the lifetime of the Switch, Iwata will be remembered by millions, every year, on the day he died.

Egida

Neo Member
Incredible. The Switch really is something special.

A beautiful gesture that talks about the respect people had for this man.

asagami_

Banned
I was planning to buy a Switch in my birthday (April), but now I have more reasons to have one before Iwata death date ;_;

Dyle

What a wonderful tribute, I hope this means Iwata is still looking out for my system, even if I can't play it

Cindro

I think they must have been banking on this being discovered.

The real tribute isn't the fact that this game is on the firmware, it's that, on the next anniversary of his death, millions of Switch users will stand up and imitate him in their own homes. I find that an incredible piece of benign social engineering. I can't really think of anything that is even remotely similar.

For the lifetime of the Switch, Iwata will be remembered by millions, every year, on the day he died.
That's a wild point. Nintendo engaging in synchronized global behavior control, except it's for something beautiful instead of something sinister. I struggle to think of how to describe it other than sheer brilliance.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Satoru Iwata - “Video games are meant to be just one thing. Fun. Fun for everyone.”

His impact on the industry has yet to be fully realized.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Satoru Iwata - “Video games are meant to be just one thing. Fun. Fun for everyone.”

His impact on the industry has yet to be fully realized.

And with the way things are going, with all this negativity, we're getting further and further away from that goal. :(

Clov

That's actually amazing. A brilliant tribute to Iwata. I can't think of an Easter egg better than this, honestly.

Top Bottom