• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hidden Golf game on Switch accessible via feels

jariw

I'm aware of the requirements. One of these three things would convince me, acknowledgement from Nintendo, this still working next July 11th, or something discovered in code that shows this isn't more than some bizarre debug mode.

A debug mode that only works one day each year?

Qwark

A debug mode that only works one day each year?

Well we don't know that yet, getting it to work on one day doesn't rule out every other day of the year. One of the original people mentioned that it was July 19th that it worked. That's why I'd like to see more experimentation with it.

Edit: I'm off to bed and I expect this thread to move fast, thanks for the thoughtful discussion from those who have provided it. I hope to be convinced in the coming days.

That is incredible. ;__;

I'm aware of the requirements. One of these three things would convince me, acknowledgement from Nintendo, this still working next July 11th, or something discovered in code that shows this isn't more than some bizarre debug mode.

Dude, it has these things associated with it:

-Can only be activated on the date of Iwata's death.
-Is only started by doing the Nintendo Direct gesture that Iwata popularized.
-Is a game that was solely programmed by Iwata.

At some point you need to realize that these series of "coincidences" instead are more like a pattern. I don't understand what is so hard to believe about all of this.

B.K.

Dude, it has these things associated with it:

-Can only be activated on the date of Iwata's death.
-Is only started by doing the Nintendo Direct gesture that Iwata popularized.
-Is a game that was solely programmed by Iwata.

At some point you need to realize that these series of "coincidences" instead are more like a pattern. I don't understand what is so hard to believe about all of this.

There is also a soundbite that plays when you trigger it. I assume it's Iwata,but I don't know that.

This article on wololo goes into more detail about how to trigger it:

http://wololo.net/2017/09/20/launch-secret-nes-golf-game-nintendo-switch/

MRFfvxI.png

Well fuck that guy.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Really hope one of you GAFers who can do this right now could also upload a video of you doing the gesture and launching the game.

Many thanks!!!

-shadow-

But... I want to try this, I was already making the direct movement like an idiot for fifteen minutes yesterday Nintendo! 😭

Your link to the video links to a Twitter account but the only videos I see is them actually playing it and a GIF of Iwata doing the motion from what I can tell.

I still don't know if I really believe this.
There is absolutely no video proof out there yet. Only someone who plays it for a few seconds, nothing about unlocking it.

Seems fishy.

Any video evidence of this on YouTube?

Anyone have video of the entire process? I want to hear the supposed audio snippet of Iwata and boot into the Golf game.

Well we don't know that yet, getting it to work on one day doesn't rule out every other day of the year. One of the original people mentioned that it was July 19th that it worked. That's why I'd like to see more experimentation with it.

There is also a soundbite that plays when you trigger it. I assume it's Iwata,but I don't know that.

Video of the confirmed motion that triggers the game with soundbit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGN6QXv7sfs&feature=youtu.be&t=104

That's definitely Iwata's catchphrase when he's doing his direct pose.

Y'all better add this to the OP so we don't get more skeptics comments

sphinx

the piano man
I feel like the thread title doesn't do the topic at hand any favors.

via feels? what the hell is that?

like "you access it by getting the feels because it is a tribute for Iwata?"

I don't think the point gets across and I think everyone should know by reading the topic line what sort of amazing easter egg nintendo left for mr. Iwata

Newline

This is such a great way to have people pay tribute to the incredible man on his memorial. Spend the day enjoying the entertainment he provided so many people with.

Blizzard

Banned
I feel like the thread title doesn't do the topic at hand any favors.

via feels? what the hell is that?

like "you access it by getting the feels because it is a tribute for Iwata?"

I don't think the point gets across and I think everyone should know by reading the topic line what sort of amazing easter egg nintendo left for mr. Iwata
"feels" is a common internet term that is used to refer to a strong emotional reaction, yes. Getting "hit in the feels" means something gave you an emotional gut punch.

With most any easter egg, one would expect some arcane trigger method that is not itself very interesting. In this case the trigger method is unexpectedly emotional as a tribute, and thus I think a lot of people will understand what's meant even if it's not 100% spelled out.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I don't think we should be sad. We should all consider ourselves incredibly lucky to have had a connection to such a special and loved person.

sphinx

the piano man
"feels" is a common internet term that is used to refer to a strong emotional reaction, yes. Getting "hit in the feels" means something gave you an emotional gut punch.

With most any easter egg, one would expect some arcane trigger method that is not itself very interesting. In this case the trigger method is unexpectedly emotional as a tribute, and thus I think a lot of people will understand what's meant even if it's not 100% spelled out.

I didn't explain myself very well it seems.

I understand what "feels" means in this case.

I think the topic line should say it's a tribute for Iwata, plain and clear and not a unspecified "via feels" which can mean anything.

if it did, this thread would be in page 10 (á 50 posts) already, this is the best tribute ever

Piccoro

Amazing and cool tribute!

But I don't understand why it works in 1.0.0 systems only? Why did Nintendo removed it from updated consoles?

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Amazing and cool tribute!

But I don't understand why it works in 1.0.0 systems only? Why did Nintendo removed it from updated consoles?

They didn't. But any system running newer firmware likely had it updated over the internet. Once the system connects to the internet for the first time and gets the time and date from an external server it's no longer possible to cheat the internal clock by setting it manually.

So the rest of us will probably just have to wait 10 months to see this.

Piccoro

They didn't. But any system running newer firmware likely had it updated over the internet. Once the system connects to the internet for the first time and gets the time and date from an external server it's no longer possible to cheat the internal clock by setting it manually.

Oh OK, now I get it.

This only works on July 11th, but if the console is connected to the internet, it gets the real date, right?

Peterthumpa

I didn't explain myself very well it seems.

I understand what "feels" means in this case.

I think the topic line should say it's a tribute for Iwata, plain and clear and not a unspecified "via feels" which can mean anything.

if it did, this thread would be in page 10 (á 50 posts) already, this is the best tribute ever
Oh come on for Christ's sake.

Top Bottom