• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hidden Golf game on Switch accessible via feels

Akibared

b0S9NhO.png
This is fucking me up

Fireblend

Banned
Extremely clever but also immensely depressing.

I find it incredibly uplifting. This shows how loved Iwata was, how respected he was by his peers and how despite being the CEO of Nintendo, in the end what defined him most was the same creative drive he had with him since his days as a programmer.

This is some tearjerker movie-tier stuff.

He went too fucking soon :( RIP Iwata.

rudger

Rereading this, so every July 11th we can make the hand signal and play in Iwata's honor? I look forward to the gaf thread reminder and will see you all on the green.

Cindro

Never did I think I'd be tearing up over freaking NES Golf of all things.

Yet here we are.

Astounding tribute, both viscerally gutwrenching and untouchably beautiful in equal measure.

This really seems like some elaborate hoax - it's too pure for this ugly world of ours.

Griss

Moving and beautiful. Feels too pure to be a real thing included in a piece of hardware.

Always loved NES Golf, too. The Switch has more real Nintendo personality than I thought...

B.K.

I just managed to start the game twice. It's hard to get the motion just right. You also can't put the system in sleep mode when it's running. It closes the game if you do.

Golf is a hard game. It took 35 swings for me to get the ball in the first hole.

rudger

It's only preventing you from doing it RIGHT NOW.

The only way to really see if it works now is if you wait till next year.

Yeah I realized and corrected myself. Honestly, I'd rather it be locked to the day rather than an anytime or cheatable Easter egg. Will give the whole thing the weight it deserves.

Qwark

This is really cool, but the cynic in me thinks this was not deliberate, at least the connection to Iwata's death anyway. I don't know why July 11th is the only day that works, but it's probably just a debug thing or glitch that got left in. I would be surprised if it still works next July, but we shall see.

That's a legitimately awesome and thoughtful tribute. I'm really sad I'll probably never get to try it (unless I misread) bc of firmware. RIP Iwata.

SMD

This is really cool, but the cynic in me thinks this was not deliberate, at least the connection to Iwata's death anyway. I don't know why July 11th is the only day that works, but it's probably just a debug thing or glitch that got left in. I would be surprised if it still works next July, but we shall see.

What are you on about.

I just managed to start the game twice. It's hard to get the motion just right. You also can't put the system in sleep mode when it's running. It closes the game if you do.

Golf is a hard game. It took 35 swings for me to get the ball in the first hole.

Guess we gotta sink one for our boy Iwata next July.

...Because it's programmed to only work on that day. The same day Iwata died?

Qwark

What are you on about.

Nothing, I'm just skeptical. It's such an odd thing to leave as a tribute and the method of access, that I don't think it is a tribute and that there must be some other reason behind it. That's all.

It's cool either way though.

Guess we gotta sink one for our boy Iwata next July.

...Because it's programmed to only work on that day. The same day Iwata died?

Does that not seem extremely odd to anybody else? I think the date is a coincidence.

Nothing, I'm just skeptical. It's such an odd thing to leave as a tribute and the method of access, that I don't think it is a tribute and that there must be some other reason behind it. That's all.

It's cool either way though.

I dunno man, if it's a game Iwata worked on, and it's the day he died, and it's using the gesture he's known for...

it's probably related to him.

seat

I think this is a cool tribute, but why the date of his death? To honor someone, isn't it logical to do so on his or her birthday? Is the death day just a cultural thing?

I think this is a cool tribute, but why the date of his death? To honor someone, isn't it logical to do so on his or her birthday? Is the death day just a cultural thing?

Honoring the anniversary of a loved one's/venerable one's death is a custom in much of Asia.

I still don't know if I really believe this.
There is absolutely no video proof out there yet. Only someone who plays it for a few seconds, nothing about unlocking it.

Seems fishy.

Top Bottom