• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hines: "[Bethesda] will not be talking about its next game for a long time."

Zarx

too busy filing lawsuits lol

But seriously, I wouldn't be surprised to see them to show a teaser on either Sony or MS' stage come E3. Why say anything unless you were trying to surprise people with an announcement?

Isn't this just the same thing he's said before? He could just mean it as that's what he said last time and he's not going to provide any update on it.

Didn't they say the same thing a few months before announcing Skyrim?

I'm searching for how they've acted before with previous announcements, and for Skyrim specifically there seemed to be hints that something was going to happen soon.

From August 2010

"One thing I can say is that from when you first hear about it to when it's out will be the shortest it's been for us. It's pretty far along. When we show it, we want to show a lot, because there's a lot of game there to play right now.

"You know, if [global VP of PR and marketing] Pete Hines came in and said, 'I want you to show it,' I'd be like, 'Okay, I'm ready to show it.' But we've just decided for now not to yet."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-08-16-todd-howard-working-on-two-new-games

Hines stated with Fallout 3 that it was "a good ways away" in early 2007, but he also said that we'd get details on it later that year. The game would eventually be announced by Game informer for their July cover story.

So I can't really find anything that suggests that they've been disingenuous about their announcement plans in the past.

LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif

Gothos

Seems like this year only PC users will experience some postapocalyptic wasteland action :) Bring on Wasteland 2!

King_bombo2215

Neo Member
These fake memorandums need to try harder. They always seem to be written by people who've never seen an private internal memo before... unless Bethesda thinks standard formatting is for chumps, and that signing in black pen is a good idea (blue pen is generally used, to so that the original can be discerned from photocopies).

....or that Bethesda likely does not send out typewritten internal memos that look like they came from the Department of Defense in 1957

Raven77

Maybe it's taking so long because they're abandoning Gamebryo and making a new engine?

...or probably not. Even with Skyrim they advertised the supposedly new Creation engine, which was just a thinly disguised Gamebryo.

God we can only hope so, Gamebryo needs to die. They did all they could with it in Skyrim. Yes, the mods can make it look incredible, but I would rather have a new engine that is capable of things that not even modders can accomplish with the older engine.

Xpliskin

OK, that memo made me laugh.

Well ZeniMax has wolfenstein, eso and evil within lined up for this fiscal year.

Don't see why they would announce anything anytime soon.

JDSN

Banned
Meanwhile they will make their profits by suing people and making loans that studios wont be able to pay.

zeelman

oh i have no doubt that bethesda are not technically very competent, ps3 skyrim is a perfect example of that

Not really, that had more to do with PS3's miniscule amount of RAM then anything (and let's not forget the PS3 wasn't exactly the easiest game system to develop for), plus it was eventually fixed.

rjinaz

That memo is so fake it hurts. I refuse to believe it was written by somebody making Bethesda money. Oh and yeah don't mention Elder Scrolls, we have an Elder Scrolls game releasing, but don't mention it!

Anyway, I still have a very small hope Bethesda shows a surprise FO4 trailer. Though all I keep hearing is how the game is some long time away, it really seems like they might be serious which is unfortunate.

Nethaniah

Not really, that had more to do with PS3's miniscule amount of RAM then anything (and let's not forget the PS3 wasn't exactly the easiest game system to develop for), plus it was eventually fixed.

The 64Hz bug being in almost all the games also proves it, among other bugs that were present in most games, i like their games but technically they're incompetent.

Ofcourse now people are going ''b-but sandbox games are big and you can't account for everything'' funny enough the same excuse people use for the combat, it's a sandbox game therefore it's supposed to be bad.

Marcel

Damage control for BSG's laughable inability to optimize for specific consoles? Oh man.

Denton

Well they are most likely doing PC/new gen only, which should hopefully finally force them to do it on new engine, so no wonder it will take longer.
What truly sucks is that they did not give Fallout license to Obsidian again to make (superior) game for them in the meantime.

Nethaniah

Damage control for BSG's laughable inability to optimize for specific consoles? Oh man.

Wonder if they still have those Bethblog pages up where i believe they were talking about developers play testing the game and not know it was running on ps3, cause that's how great it was running! according to them anyway.

I always wonder about us gamers calling developers "incompetent", I mean realistically we have to be around that level of programming proficiency to be able to judge.

No they don't have to be, anyone who has every played a Bethesda games would know that the people that are working on the engine are some of the worst in the business.

Edit: To top it off IIRC they went on claiming to have totally either upgraded / improved their engine or build it from scratch for Skyrim which was a big load of horseshit.

Renekton

The 64Hz bug being in almost all the games also proves it, among other bugs that were present in most games, i like their games but technically they're incompetent.

Ofcourse now people are going ''b-but sandbox games are big and you can't account for everything'' funny enough the same excuse people use for the combat, it's a sandbox game therefore it's supposed to be bad.
I always wonder about us gamers calling developers "incompetent", I mean realistically we have to be around their level of programming proficiency to be able to judge.

No they don't have to be, anyone who has every played a Bethesda games would know that the people that are working on the engine are some of the worst in the business.

Edit: To top it off IIRC they went on claiming to have totally either rebuild their engine or build it from scratch for Skyrim which was a big load of horseshit.
I don't think playing the game gives any clue of the man hours and technical challenges involved in a software engineering of this complexity. Also we don't know what % of the codebase was rewritten or enhanced.

Basically, we're way way out of our depths.

Derp

I'm honestly surprised people actually expected an E3 announcement. They said in February they won't be announcing anything for a long time. If a company actually goes out of their way to announce this, you know they mean a really long time.

Expect an announcement either at the end of the year (which is when they announced Skyrim) or next year.

Nethaniah

I don't think playing the game gives any clue of the man hours and technical challenges involved in a software engineering of this complexity. Also we don't know what % of the codebase was rewritten or enhanced.

Basically, we're way way out of our depths.

When they were asked about it they answered with ''totally new engine guys''.

Like i said, i like their games but in the end i'm not gonna make excuses for the huuuuuuuuuuge amount of technical issues with these games, you'd think that by using the same engine over and over they would have fixed alot of game breaking bugs in it or simply got better with it but that doesn't seem to be the case, either way i cannot be changed imo about this so i'm gonna leave it at that.

The game isn't releasing till next fall. They'll start talking about it next year. We'll probably get an announcement this Winter. Unless the current gen transition is going horrible... I'm not worried.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
It might mean Bethesda Game Studios next game will be ES and Fallout 4 is by Obsidian so BGS don't have to talk about anything right now...

Top Bottom