• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hiroshi Yamauchi dies at 85 (Nikkei)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoot2005

Banned
May this mighty legend rest in peace. I will always support what he created. It's one of the very few things that make me smile in this world.

TL21xx

Banned
Rest well, Yamauchi-san. The man is the reeason we're playing consoles today. Thanks for taking the risk, our hobby is all the better for it.

He made Nintendo great with NES and SNES but at the same time he kinda dropped the ball with third parties during the N64/GCN era. Just like Iwata, he made good and bad decisions.

That being said he was a very important man, making video games relevant again during the first game crash. Nintendo and the gaming industry as whole definitely wouldn't be the same without him. RIP.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
The Legend has died. Thank you for being one of the main proponents for my love of video games. RIP.

This has got to be a sad day at Nintendo, what with many of their employees having worked with him for years. Iwata and Miyamoto both still being really close to him.

He's the man that resurrected by hobby. Without him none of us would be able to enjoy it.

Oh nooooo = ( He was only 85. I thought he'd be sitting on that Nintendo ruling board til he was 150 and half robotic. We owe everything to him for making Nintendo make video games. Such a sad day. I hope they give him a cameo in Mario 3D World or something now somehow.

MDX

game-over.jpg

He was the last Yamauchi to work at Nintendo..why he chose to pass the company on to Satoru Iwata when he could've kept it in the family by offering it to his son-in-law, former NoA president Minoru Arakawa, I'll never know. Maybe he did and Arakawa turned him down. At any rate, it's a shame that the Yaumauchi line at Nintendo ends with him. :(

I doubt the first picture is him.

I'm pretty sure that's Gunpei Yokoi.

Gameboy415

My favorite hobby, my childhood - hell, my life wouldn't have been the same if it weren't for his contributions to the industry.

Thank you and RIP.

He was the last Yamauchi to work at Nintendo..why he chose to pass the company on to Satoru Iwata when he could've kept it in the family by offering it to his son-in-law, former NoA president Minoru Arakawa, I'll never know. Maybe he did and Arakawa turned him down. At any rate, it's a shame that the Yaumauchi line at Nintendo ends with him. :(

I'm pretty sure that's Gunpei Yokoi.

He did. Arakawa retired to Hawaii with his wife from what I understand having no desire to continue with Nintendo.

Thanks for all your decisions, for better or for worse, that led to the one hobby I've stuck with all these years.

And I'll be the 2344456th in the thread to recommend "Game Over".

Tangsta

Banned
Don't really know much about him, but it's always sad to see an industry veteran go. RIP, Yamauchi san, you will certainly be missed.

Death of a legend. Majority of my favorite games came out when he was still in charge.

Iwata, best be trying to do better. Cause you aren't.

Wow... RIP. Yamauchi is a legend !

The guy had his crazy moments but in many ways he was right !

I loved reading his interviews, he was very entertaining and he understood the industry more than anyone.

Celine

As I've already posted previously:

[when Iwata succeeded him]
When somewhat bluntly asked why Iwata was chosen for the job Yamauchi, speaking as freely as ever, told all. “The reason for Iwata-san's selection comes down to his knowledge and understanding of Nintendo's hardware and software. An executive, regardless of his vast successes, is fundamentally an executive, who doesn't intimately understand our products.” Yamauchi continues, “Within our industry there are those who believe that they will succeed simply because of their successes in other ventures or their wealth, but that doesn't guarantee success. Looking at their experiences since entering the gaming world, it's apparent that our competitors have yielded far more failures than successes. It's been said that Sony is the current winner in the gaming world. However, when considering their ‘victory’, you should remember that their success is only a very recent development. Though Sony is widely held to be the strongest in the market, their fortunes may change. Tomorrow, they could lose that strength, as reversals of fortune are part of this business. Taking into account the things I've encountered in my experiences as Nintendo president, I have come to the conclusion that it requires a special talent to manage a company in this industry. I selected Iwata-san based on that criteria. Over the long-term I don't know whether Iwata-san will maintain Nintendo's position or lead the company to even greater heights of success. At the very least, I believe him to be the best person for the job.”

----

That was in 2003, before PS3/Wii and PSP(Vita)/DS(3DS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom