• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hiroshi Yamauchi to be inducted into the Consumer Technology Association Hall of Fame

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
hy1osgz.png

Hiroshi in 2002.

The late Hiroshi Yamauchi, former CEO of Nintendo, to be inducted as Video Game Futurist into the CTA Hall of Fame:

Arlington, VA – 04/28/2016 – The Consumer Technology Association (CTA)® revealed today the latest class of honorees that will be inducted into its 2016 Consumer Technology (CT) Hall of Fame. The CT Hall of Fame, created in 2000, pays tribute to the leaders who have advanced innovation and developed a foundation for the consumer technologies we enjoy today and others still to come.

“The CT Hall of Fame celebrates our rich history of innovation,” said CTA President and CEO Gary Shapiro. “This year’s class represents leaders who laid the cornerstones for many of today’s hottest products and trends – from immersive television delivered where and when we want, to the developer of the wireless Bluetooth standard that we rely on daily to exchange data over short distances. From a satellite-based navigation system to the early days of the smart home and video games, these leaders followed their visions creating, selling, distributing and promoting products that improve consumers’ lives.”

The 2016 class includes inventors with an idea, business executives, a distributor with distinctive strategies to bring accessories to store shelves, a retailer who marketed these products and a journalist that explained how technology works. The class also includes two teams who combined their individual efforts to make a lasting contribution to the industry:

Visionary Retailer: Sidney Cooper – Silo
Father of Bluetooth: Dr. Jaap Haartsen – Ericsson
Prominent Distribution Pioneer: David B. Lorsch – DBL Distributing
Transformational Technologist: Chuck Pagano – ESPN
Legendary Journalist: Steve Smith – TWICE Magazine
Home Automation Developer: Joel Spira – Lutron
Pioneering Accessories Executive: Nat Tiffen – The Tiffen Company
Video Game Futurist: Hiroshi Yamauchi – Nintendo

The inductees were selected by a group of media and industry professionals, who judged the nominations submitted by manufacturers, retailers and industry journalists. The 2016 honorees will be inducted into the CT Hall of Fame in New York at an awards dinner to be held on Wednesday, November 9, at the Rainbow Room.

Source: http://www.cta.tech/News/News-Relea...-Industry-Leaders-to-the-2016-CT-Hall-of.aspx

Past inductees: http://www.cta.tech/Events-and-Awards/Awards/CE-Hall-of-Fame/Inductees.aspx

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
He really was a brilliant businessman. He didn't even play games. They were just a winning commodity for him to win the market.

-shadow-

And all these years later I'm still thankful that he decided to enter the videogame market. The market would've been so different without him.

Blues1990

I was about to create a thread about this, but it's a good thing I had a quick look before doing so.

Yamauchi-san was somewhat Machiavellian in his practices, but he had (surprisingly) an outstanding knowledge of what makes a video game timeless and influential (and successful, in the long run), especially for a businessman from the '70s-'90s. Yokoi and Miyamoto are most responsible for the creative side of Nintendo, but their creations would be overlooked without the cutthroat, logistical wisdom of the man. And for that, we should be truly be grateful to him.

Neff

Despite making a lot of enemies and lacking the foresight to chase optical media, he really was an incredibly astute, charismatic guy. While I think Iwata was the better president when all's said and done, Yamauchi was the man who led 'my' era of Nintendo.

entremet

Despite making a lot of enemies and lacking the foresight to chase optical media, he really was an incredibly astute, charismatic guy. While I think Iwata was the better president when all's said and done, Yamauchi was the man who led 'my' era of Nintendo.

Yamauchi Executive Producer credit was one I will never forgot and graced many of the best of all time--LTTP, Super Mario World, Super Metroid.

Top Bottom