• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hiroshi Yamauchi dies at 85 (Nikkei)

Status
Not open for further replies.

C-DubSP

Neo Member
That guy helped create a lot of happy childhoods in the gaming community, which is why he will be considered way more than a average corporate suit. RIP.

Subaru

I would have killed myself if it wasn't my SNES.
I'm very sad today...

(it's not an euphemism... when I was around 10, Mario games and Street Fighter were my only friends...)

E-Cat

Found it!

A 2004 BBC documentary sheds some light on the mysterious character of Yamauchi:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4rMchIAvdA#t=3m29s

Some bits:

- In 1950, after having inherited the family business from his grandfather, Yamauchi's first act as head of Nintendo was to sack his own cousin.

- People acquainted with Yamauchi refuse to talk about him on camera because he's such a powerful man, "like an emperor". Everybody in the company shudders in Mr. Yamauchi's presence, and they don't speak without his permission.

- Left by his father when he was five years old. They would never meet again, but Yamauchi did attend his funeral.

- Said to be a very strong Go player, "tough as nails". Absolutely serious, like he is trying to win a championship game every time.

- When presented with a Go videogame, Yamauchi had an assistant play the game for him by pointing where we wanted to move on the screen.

- Involved in the taxi, love hotel, and electric "love tester" businesses

- Was grooming his son-in-law, Minoru Arakawa, to take over the company. For this, Arakawa needed to become "more like Yamauchi, tougher." However, their differing opinions on what direction Nintendo should take next made the succession an impossibility.

RIP, Mr. Yamauchi.

Your company and its products have been part of my life for, well...my entire life. I can't imagine a world without Nintendo. Gaming will miss you - thanks for the memories.

GCX

What a sad day. :(

I know he's known as a cold blooded businessman but he also donated money to hospitals and stuff.

Is it too early for someone to start a topic related to Nintendo's immediate and long-term future in light of this sad news? This would be an inappropriate forum to discuss that, but I'd love to discuss the now-uncertain future of the legacy this great man left behind.

stilgar

Nes
Snes
N64

I just cannot count the memories I have, alone or in multiplayer.
This man basically taught me what videogame was and this definition hasn't changed one bit since.

RIP.

Fireblend

Banned
I'm not so sure if this article can be reliable or not - but it may be the last thing Yamauchi did at Nintendo.

http://www.p4rgaming.com/former-nintendo-president-hiroshi-yamauchi-criticizes-wii-u-launch-says-would-rather-buy-a-ps3/

Holy shit - I wonder if this is made up. Just found it surfing on the web.
Come on man, a simple Google search for "p4rgaming" will reveal it's a fake news site. Do a little research before littering this thread with such trash.

Sad day for video games fans and especially for every Nintendo fan.

Yamauchi had a good life, making people happy playing tons of games. He's not the only one who made Nintendo the quality video game enterprise it is but he's been the leader in many many good years of Nintendo products so thank you for that :)

Nintendo is still here though, after more than a century, and just thinking about this is making all Nintendo's employees' work (both still here and gone) worth so much.

RIP.

NewGame

Banned
Wow this is huge. Apparently he still held the second largest stock hold in Nintendo on death I would of thought he'd of sold it off after he stepped down but it looks like he was still interested in holding up the company right until his death.

:'(

mclem

- Was grooming his son-in-law, Minoru Arakawa, to take over the company. For this, Arakawa needed to become "more like Yamauchi, tougher." However, their differing opinions on what direction Nintendo should take next made the succession an impossibility.

Was there any detail on *what* direction Arakawa was promoting?

Celine

Wow this is huge. Apparently he still held the second largest stock hold in Nintendo on death I would of thought he'd of sold it off after he stepped down but it looks like he was still interested in holding up the company right until his death.

:'(
He was the largest stockholder actually.

Nintendo is still Yamauchi family company.

Dremark

Banned
I don't think there's a single person on the business end of the industry that has had as much of an impact as he has, and I don't think anyone else ever will be able to.

I don't agree with every decision the guy made and I think some of the things the company did under him were pretty questionable ethically, but you can't argue against his impact or results. A legend in the truest sense of the word, were it not for him the industry would be vastly different if it even still existed without him.

Futureman

Is it too early for someone to start a topic related to Nintendo's immediate and long-term future in light of this sad news? This would be an inappropriate forum to discuss that, but I'd love to discuss the now-uncertain future of the legacy this great man left behind.

Do we really know how much influence he had over modern day Nintendo? In guessing it wasn't much.

And considering the industry is pretty young... This has gotta be the biggest death in gaming probably... Ever? I don't file things too closely anymore, but the only other death I can even think of is the Occulus Rift guy.

Found it!

A 2004 BBC documentary sheds some light on the mysterious character of Yamauchi:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4rMchIAvdA#t=3m29s

That's the part I could never get. Iwata is *nothing* like Yamauchi. I don't mean that in a bad way--the man is infinitely more approachable and understanding of the difficulties of game development, having come from that background himself. Between the time he decided that Arakawa wasn't fit to lead Nintendo and when he gave it over to Iwata he must have had a serious change of heart.

LastNac

Most baddass game CEO of all time. A true trend setter.

Rest easy Yamauchi, you beat the game and set the highest of scores.

Ridley327

RIP

He was certainly a controversial figure, but his contribution to the entire video game medium is incalculable and I don't even dare speculate as to what would have happened if he didn't steer Nintendo into the direction that was able to birth the Famicom, or his aggressive push to adapt it for western audiences. One of the very few figures in gaming that deserves to be called a titan of the industry.

JB2448

It's sad to hear that a man who has positively touched (in some cases, even saved) lives through their work has passed. Your legacy shall be honored and remembered for many years, and felt for even longer.

Rest in Peace

one_kill

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYIHAAABAADKUKFbQJbEtQ
zlCfzRIRWw4d9EVz0F

RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom