• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New York Times cleans up their mess after publishing blemish in Yamauchi obituary

zroid

Banned
Correction: September 27, 2013

An obituary on Sept. 20 about Hiroshi Yamauchi, the longtime president of Nintendo, included a quotation from a 1988 New York Times article that inaccurately described the Nintendo video game Super Mario Bros. 2. The brothers Mario and Luigi, who appear in this and other Nintendo games, are plumbers, not janitors.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/20/b...-nintendo-into-dominance-dies-at-85.html?_r=0

I definitely didn't create this thread just to make a joke.

Lumyst

They must of mistook mario and luigi for Eario

Oh God, I'm cracking up here because I looked up "Eario" in Google images, and my next thought was, "So if you turn the M clockwise..." and sure enough, Sigmario. edit: Oh, and there was a picture of Eario putting the mushroom into the ? block, so now I can imagine him backstage preparing the stages for Mario.

BowieZ

Banned
Oh God, I'm cracking up here because I looked up "Eario" in Google images, and my next thought was, "So if you turn the M clockwise..." and sure enough, Sigmario. edit: Oh, and there was a picture of Eario putting the mushroom into the ! block, so now I can imagine him backstage preparing the stages for Mario.
Amazing concept.

(Would work well with the theatre stage art design of SMB3 :p)

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Oh God, I'm cracking up here because I looked up "Eario" in Google images, and my next thought was, "So if you turn the M clockwise..." and sure enough, Sigmario. edit: Oh, and there was a picture of Eario putting the mushroom into the ! block, so now I can imagine him backstage preparing the stages for Mario.

This thread is very confusing.

Lumyst

This thread is very confusing.

I was confused too, but once I Google searched for Eario (I never heard of Eario before) you see how "M" is for Mario, upside down "M" is for Wario, and sideways "M" is E for Eario. So it's possible that the New York Times mistakenly thought of Eario the Janitor instead of Mario the Plumber.

zroid

Banned
I was confused too, but once I Google searched for Eario (I never heard of Eario before) you see how "M" is for Mario, upside down "M" is for Wario, and sideways "M" is E for Eario. So it's possible that the New York Times mistakenly thought of Eario the Janitor instead of Mario the Plumber.

lol no, the janitor error was from an article published in 1988. :p

it was quoted in the obituary.

Lumyst

lol no, the janitor error was from an article published in 1988. :p

it was quoted in the obituary.

So they realized they made an error so many years in the future after looking at that article again? (Oh, and I know they don't have any idea about Eario, I was sarcastic/joking as though Eario were a real character that has always existed since the beginning of Mario, so people could jokingly, tongue-in-cheek nod in agreement that it would be forgivable to mistake Eario for Mario, as many have done since the first Mario Bros.)

Oh God, I'm cracking up here because I looked up "Eario" in Google images, and my next thought was, "So if you turn the M clockwise..." and sure enough, Sigmario. edit: Oh, and there was a picture of Eario putting the mushroom into the ? block, so now I can imagine him backstage preparing the stages for Mario.
Shit lead me to this video of Eario

Died at "Do the Eariooooo~" ten seconds in

Top Bottom