• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: line-up for the rest of 2015 (Star Fox, Fatal Frame 5, more)

The fall 3DS lineup as a whole does not look so good.

Oh well, gives me time to work on my backlog. I can't say this was a bad year overall. I had a lot of fun with MH4U, Devil Survivor 2, and Code Name S.T.E.A.M. I still haven't bought Etrian Odyssey Untold 2 yet, and I eventually want to get around to that.

Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest will obviously be a day one when it releases in early 2016.

kunonabi

NoA's boneheaded decisions aside it looks like 9-10 3DS games and 8 Wii U games for me to close out the year. Not too terrible all things considered.

Tiktaalik

That is a pretty weak lineup. I'm definitely day one for Mario Maker but not sure about anything else. I'm hopeful that Star Fox turns out well, but skeptical.

Oh well, gives me time to work on my backlog. I can't say this was a bad year overall. I had a lot of fun with MH4U, Devil Survivor 2, and Code Name S.T.E.A.M. I still haven't bought Etrian Odyssey Untold 2 yet, and I eventually want to get around to that.

Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest will obviously be a day one when it releases in early 2016.

Yeah I'm not impressed with the 3ds lineup.

Drago

3DS lineup feels really empty but I'm still gonna pick up Chibi Robo and Yokai Watch, and maybe Zelda down the line.

WiiU has a much more appealing lineup for the rest of the year. Lots of amiibos for me to get as well... x_x

maxcriden

BTW, am I correct that there are currently 3 announced WiiU games (first party) for 2016?
- SMTxFE (Unknown)
- Zelda Wii U (Q4 2016?)
- Pokken (Q2 2016?)

I would assume they'd at least have something else up their sleaves as that would be one of the most barren release schedules of an active console ever.

Zelda isn't confirmed for 2016. I do think we'll see it by the end of the year, though.

SMTxFE is a pretty small, niche release in the West, I think. Pokken is probably a March-May game depending how lean the schedule is otherwise.

We still have Project Guard + Project Giant Robot, I guess, if those still exist. Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games is probably the March game.

If NX truly launches next year, especially with a console component, then I suppose I could believe there aren't any unannounced retail Wii U games. I think the remaster King of Red Lions has long since sailed away (forgive the bad pun), despite Nintendo's previous seeming interest in making more of these for Wii U. I think if we were getting HD Twilight Princess or Mario Sunshine, we would have heard about them by now. I'm not sure they'll bother with the long-speculated Kid Icarus or Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon 3DS --> Wii U up-ports at this point, either. I would not be surprised to see current evergreen software continue to be supported with DLC (i.e. Splatoon, Smash, and I suspect Super Mario Maker), and maybe a couple eShop releases (like my long-awaited Nabbit stealth game using the Captain Toad engine). So I guess if I had to bet money on it, and that's not something I plan to do, I'd bet that we've seen every major Wii U retail release already announced, and that NX will come next Fall.

Vena

Would be strange if it was made a long time ago and they decided to show a very poorly looking title on purpose.

Given the current work load on Platinum? And that Nintendo's software pipelines are likely shifting to new devkits/tools for the NX? I don't think that's actually unreasonable that the demo was put together using Corneria and some other minor sections as early as possible to then not have to worry about otherwise.

This release schedule would make one think Nintendo stopped developing games for the WiiU/3DS sometime earlier this year...

...Which I wouldn't doubt as I am a strong subscriber to the NX next year, a product that they can't afford to launch with a weak line-up.

Yeah aside from Fire Emblem there is no other titles I care about on 3DS for 2016.

Really bummed no Fatal Frame retail release. Oh well, still a ton of stuff I'll be picking up for both Wii U and 3DS. Looking forward to playing some amazing games. Probably most excited about Xenoblade X though!

Memory

20th November for Starfox? Really?! Sigh, guess i'll be passing on this for now, know way i'm going to be playing SF in November when i have Fatal Frame, Fallout, Battlefront and Xenoblade CX releasing one after another.

Mory Dunz

This. We didn't know how packed W101 & Bayonetta 2 were until close to their respective releases. Plus, knowing Nintendo, we could see a 3D World-tier facelift from a graphical standpoint.

3D World didn't get that big of a facelift I feel. The stages shown in the first trailer just weren't that complex or busy

Star Fox looks decent to me so I'll get if the gameplay seems good.

maxcriden

I actually think it would be better if they just delay Ultra Smash to 2016 because really, What else are they gonna launch for Wii U after december? Only like 3 games or so are confirmed for Wii U through 2016 (With Zelda U included and let's keep in mind that the game is not even confirmed for a 2016 release...) So yeah. Hoping for a megaton announcement on October or something so they can announce... something!

I would be really surprised if we get any more megaton announcements for either system at this point. For Wii U, I don't think we're getting more retail announcements. For 3DS, we've already got Metroid, FE, Hyrule Warriors, Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games, and Mario & Luigi coming, and I suspect Style Savvy, Rhythm Heaven, and Picross won't be far behind.

uncleslappy

nethack is my favorite dark souls clone
Gotta say - people who were flipping out after Nintendo's E3 performance this year, saying "Nintendo has given up on Wii U" is a tough position to hold right now looking at that release schedule.

Gotta say - people who were flipping out after Nintendo's E3 performance this year, saying "Nintendo has given up on Wii U" is a tough position to hold right now looking at that release schedule.

A bunch of late localisations/artificially delayed titles alongside a couple of low budget projects, of which only Mario Maker looks worthwhile, only further testify initial reactions. This console will be gone after next year.

Guess I should put up my buy list...
Wii U:
Super Mario Maker
Yoshi's Wooly World
Star Fox Zero (If reviews don't skew it)

3DS:
LBX
Yokai Watch

PS4 getting most purchases next couple of months I guess...

Hakai

So is this kind of announcement an indication that Nintendo Directs are gone?

I have the feel this would be in a Direct with new trailers for some of those games! =(

TDLink

So is this kind of announcement an indication that Nintendo Directs are gone?

I have the feel this would be in a Direct with new trailers for some of those games! =(

Not at all. This is just a press release of release dates. Directs will have actual details for the games. We'll probably get one next month around TGS, as usual.

As others have stated, I wish Nintendo would space their releases out a bit and give me more to purchase throughout the year. With my two kid's birthdays, my fiance's birthday, and Christmas coming up, I just can't justify purchasing all of the games I'd like to.

That being said, I think that Nintendo has a terrific lineup for the fall (minus my most anticipated: Zelda Wii U).

Must have games:

Super Mario Maker
Yoshi's Wooly World
Fatal Frame 5
Star Fox Zero

Interested in, not sure:

Xenoblade Chronicles
Skylanders Superchargers (my daughter really wants to play this)
Devils Third
Zelda Triforce Heroes

LOLDSFAN

As a 3DS only owner, the Chibi Robo! game is the only one that interests me right now.

I guess it's a good thing since I need to be saving up my money anyway this year. :p

Not really, considering people felt this way AFTER all of these games were announced. It's a decent lineup but it consists of a bunch of games already out in Japan and a handful of low budget titles.

maxcriden

no way man... [Sticker Star] sucks even more with age.

I got to like, world 2 before just giving up.

Skyward Sword suuuucks :p

Skyward Sword is majestic?!?! Damn... what adjectives do you use to describe the good Zelda games?

Sticker Star: I dunno. I really liked it a lot. I think it takes a bit of time to really get going, but once you get into it, it's more of an old-school adventure game with a great, jazzy OST, the classic PM aesthetic, and fun turn-based battles with less emphasis on leveling up in the traditional way. I like the PM series because of its clever spins on the JRPG genre. I usually find traditional turn-based battles are just too slow for me. So I like PM's quicker and more hands-on take on turn-based battles. In this game, the quality of stickers you get is kind of like this game's version of leveling up. It takes some getting used to, but I found I really liked it once I got into it. There are also tons of stickers to collect in some clever and puzzling ways. Fans of adventure game logic will be right at home (I mean that in a good way), and for the most part it isn't obtuse. There's a lot of content to the game and its polarizing level-based format is really well-suited to portable play.

Skyward Sword: Well, "good" is the word I'd use to describe good Zelda games. Majestic is the word I'd use to describe excellent Zelda games. Quoting my LTTP thread:

To me, what made the game so special is what I understand was a turn-off for a lot of players. Rather than vast, open and connected spaces to explore, the game sections off various chunks of the world into explorable puzzles to be solved, like outdoor dungeons. I like NPCs as much as the next person. Heck, I love the sidequests in Majora's Mask, which really make the game for me. But I felt like this game had a great and different idea for how to explore a world in Zelda. I'm not sure it's important to me that every subsequent Zelda follow this same philosophy--one thing I love about the franchise is that it's always reinventing itself--but it worked really well for me, here. I love that you revisit these puzzling areas in new and creative ways, be it through use of a new item, or those amazing forays into the Silent Realm.

I'm sure there are other things I could still talk about. The epic dungeons, which I barely touched upon, from the brilliant Timeshift Stone mechanics in the Lanayru Mining Facility to the Buddhist minimalism of the Ancient Cistern, to the modular brilliance of Sky Keep. The OST, which was Zelda music at its classic, sweeping best. The various collectable bugs and treasure with their subtle interactions with the environment (I had to look up in the guide to find out I could collect bird feathers and bees!), the delight of catching a string of Tadtones successfully, and the satisfying click of correctly deciphering the placement of a thematic Boss Key, be it an Ancient Circuit or a Blessed Idol. For now, though, I'll just leave it at this: this is a great Zelda game, and I loved every minute of it.

I wrote a lot more in the actual thread, if you're interested to read. :)

('fran, I'd ask how far you got in this one, too.)

Super Mario Maker
Yoshi's Woolly World (Probably not Day 1 since it took longer than it should have to come to the US and my interest waned down)
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon

My wallet is safe for the rest of this year.

mrmickfran

('fran, I'd ask how far you got in this one, too.)
Excellent read. Even though I disagree with some things :p I finished Skyward Sword twice. TWICE. Hero mode for the second time.

If I must admit, there were a few things I liked about it:

The soundtrack
The dungeons (except for both fire temples. Snoozefests!)
Koloktos
Ghirahim.

Other than that, I hated it.

maxcriden

Excellent read. Even though I disagree with some things :p I finished Skyward Sword twice. TWICE. Hero mode for the second time.

If I must admit, there were a few things I liked about it:

The soundtrack
The dungeons (except for both fire temples. Snoozefests!)
Koloktos
Ghirahim.

Other than that, I hated it.

The second fire temple was my least favorite in the game overall, though I did really enjoy seeing and using the Mole Mitts (or "Digging Mitts," technically, but, y'know--Mole Mitts!)

EditorialTMCDungeonsFortressOfWinds3.jpg

in that dungeon. Glad there were some aspects of the game you did like. Where do you stand on the other Zelda games and Mario RPGs?

Meh. Prices on everything is a downer. I was expecting Star Fox is be around $40, not $60.

I might buy the Mega Yarn Yoshi for my kid, although it's a bit expensive for what's really just going to be considered another stuffed animal.

Crayolan

This is the kind of info I'd expect in a direct, and it's around the time when I'd expect a direct now. Hope this is only a temporary thing.

We knew Wii U had a fine 2015 before E3.

It's 2016 which everyone is worried about. Aside from Project Guard/Giant Robot there are only 3 titles announced for 2016, all of which we've known about since 2014 or earlier.

Kind of sad to have Star Fox as the big holiday title. Granted, it's the Wii U and sales won't be good no matter what, but still. I guess you have Mario Maker as effectively the main holiday title, Even though it's released in September, it should have long legs.

A lot of their Q4 is localizations.

Fatal Frame is a year late for no good reason. Devil's Third is months late (and really, really bad) for no good reason. Yoshi is six months late. Xenoblade should have been a worldwide release in April but they're super dumb about simultaneous localizations when every other first party can manage it.

The other games either look shockingly low effort (Mario Tennis, Star Fox, Amiibo Festival) or is literally just NSMB + NSLU again.

Effect

The choice to back Devil's Third for a physical release over Fatal Frame makes no sense no matter how much I think about it. FF got played at E3. Has already been released and is likely to be a quality game. I've seen nothing wrong with it from the video and streams I've seen of it. It's releasing around Halloween so it should be easy to push theme wise. It makes use of the gamepad as well. It will certainly review better then DT to which has actual problems affecting gameplay it seems.

Yet the game they ignored for the better part of a year, didn't want to talk about at E3, rumored be released by another company is getting a full physical release now? The game that is previewing badly months before it's US release. It's not even a retailer exclusive release like the other markets either but a full store release!?!?

NoA is an incredibly backwards run division. This makes no sense.

mrmickfran

in that dungeon. Glad there were some aspects of the game you did like. Where do you stand on the other Zelda games and Mario RPGs?
It's not complete crap. It's just my least favorite Zelda.

My favorite Zeldas are Wind Waker, Ocarina of Time, and A Link Between Worlds. Out of nowhere I got like 9 games in the series.

For Mario RPGs, I <3 PM and TTYD, hate SPM and SS

M&L I'm meh, and SMRPG is great.

Roo

The choice to back Devil's Third for a physical release over Fatal Frame makes no sense no matter how much I think about it. FF got played at E3. Has already been released and is likely to be a quality game. I've seen nothing wrong with it from the video and streams I've seen of it. It's releasing around Halloween so it should be easy to push theme wise. It makes use of the gamepad as well. It will certainly review better then DT to which has actual problems affecting gameplay it seems.

Yet the game they ignored for the better part of a year, didn't want to talk about at E3, rumored be released by another company is getting a full physical release now? The game that is previewing badly months before it's US release. It's not even a retailer exclusive release like the other markets either but a full store release!?!?

NoA is an incredibly backwards run division. This makes no sense.

Why they decided to seat on Yoshi's Woolly World for 3 months is beyond me as well.

You would think that having a library of dozens of great DS and Wii games that they could release would give us something to pad out the months-long wait time between Wii U games... but lol Nintendo.

Top Bottom