• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hiroshi Yamauchi dies at 85 (Nikkei)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Codeblue

We used to hate this guy when he was in charge, but so much love now, I like it, also what's with the "legend" posts?, it's not like this is about Cerny you know.

He'll have a nice chat with my boy Yokoi up there, if he ever lands there that is.

RIP.

He was always the iron fist at Nintendo, but I don't think there was overwhelming hate for him. Maybe I wasn't on GAF when there was, but he was always sort of endearing in his tenacity, and entertaining when we got the rare story that enforced that reputation.

He is why video games are where they are. A true legend, and what he did for the medium can be matched by very few.

Damn what a shame, the passing of a legend. It's interesting how he hated videogames but pretty much shaped the industry to how it is today.

Can't believe Kandinsky would even shit up a thread like this with fanboy bullshit. That's really low man.

kazebyaka

Banned
cv0119.jpg

The stories I've read about Hiroshi Yamauchi in 'Game Over' were epic.

I haven't gotten much Nintendo gear over the past couple of years but I'm sure like many others here on GAF I grew up on the NES, Gameboy, SNES, etc. during the time he led the company.

He'll be missed. RIP.

Rocky

Banned
"[RPG players] are depressed gamers who like to sit alone in their dark rooms and play slow games."

This quote right here caused me to go from just disliking Yamauchi after what I read about him in Game Over to outright hatred. He screws up and loses big third party series to competitors and then turns around and insults a group of gamers who helped his company be successful.

Pyronite

R.I.P. Yamauchi.

This quote right here caused me to go from just disliking Yamauchi after what I read about him in Game Over to outright hatred. He screws up and loses big third party series to competitors and then turns around and insults a group of gamers who helped his company be successful.

Do your best not to hate people for things that don't matter.

Thank you, Yamauchi, for everything you did for the gaming industry, as well as keeping my baseball team from moving to Florida in 1992. RIP.

Victrix

*beard*
Dead. Pfft.

You suckers, he's simply retired to his orbital fortress to observe the progress of his empire from above.

CTLance

Aw, man, at 85? That's pretty "young" to be honest. I'd have given that hardass at least another decade, fueled by sheer will and the power of his megamonies.

Rest in peace. Thanks for all the good times I've had playing games on the Nintendo consoles you influenced.

in a way, this Man has changed my life forever,

RIP man.

Kondo san and miyamoto san, Like me you're getting older but please, don't do that too early :/

andthebeatgoeson

We used to hate this guy when he was in charge, but so much love now, I like it, also what's with the "legend" posts?, it's not like this is about Cerny you know.

He'll have a nice chat with my boy Yokoi up there, if he ever lands there that is.

RIP.
Zelda cycle. I can't wait for Reggie to retire so people can start liking him again. Just wait till Iwata leaves and a non gamer takes over. I love Iwata. He'll be missed when he's gone: a Dev with real experience? And a good record (don't forget the Wii, DS and now the 3ds)? Fuck out of here with the people ready for Iwata to leave.

Man, this news hits me like a ton. Why? Just another step until gaming has its Michael Jackson like death. Something where the whole world stops. Sad to see Yamauchi pass and I might be distraught when the Master follows him. Shiggy? :'''(

He was responsible for what was, for me, the golden period of Nintendo (NES, SNES). I got into video games as a hobby because of what Nintendo meant for gaming at that period.

The stories about him in Game Over and Nintendo Magic are incredible. Truly a genius businessman. RIP.

Sad news, but I'm glad everyone is paying their respects. The dude is a legend and I'm so thankful to him for being a true pioneer in creating our favorite hobby.

lighter_at_concert-300x188.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom