• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hiroshi Yamauchi dies at 85 (Nikkei)

Status
Not open for further replies.

120v

this is like michael jackson dying... you assume they're just always going to be there. until they're not

i don't mean to disrespect but i assumed he was a bit older. assuming his health was alright its sad he couldn't have been around a bit longer. he's the same age as my grandparents

Sad news. Heard a bit about him on NPR this morning; truly a giant of the industry. People will be in his shadow long after this. He will be missed :(

Nia

Hiroshi Yamauchi had the vision to expand Nintendo, and he saw the potential within Shigeru Miyamoto and Gunpei Yokoi. He spurred the change that revolutionized the game industry, and for that, he is deserving of respect for all time.

JordanN

Banned
Nintendo is not in a 'downfall' so no he didn't. And even if they are they wouldn't have been able to fall without actually climbing in the first place. Yamauchi is the man that got them to ANY relevancy in the first place. Without getting to the great heights we wouldn't even care if they crashed and burned. We care about the company, more strongly than others because of the risks he and his company took. From hanafuda cards to game consoles.
Sorry, I disagree. Nintendo had a monopoly on gaming during the NES/SNES years and they slowly forfeited it with their future consoles. That's a downfall in my eyes.

smurfx

get some go again
were there any reports of him being sick? i thought the guy would live well into his 90's. anyways RIP.

massoluk

Banned
Sorry, I disagree. Nintendo had a monopoly on gaming during the NES/SNES years and they slowly forfeited it with their future consoles. That's a downfall in my eyes.

Please, stop this. Starting with a family business of card manufacturing, a man upended the gaming industry and made the industry what it is today. Please stop with the dissing of current Nintendo and just pay respect to the man.

Monopolies rarely last, especially in the tech industry where new breakthroughs and innovations are introduced regularly; at any point, today's big thing could be yesterday's old news.I don't view it as a downfall but a natural progression, neither Yamauchi nor Nintendo is immune to it.

The man has his controversies, but the Nintendo of our childhood would not happen as we know it withouth him.Neither the game industry.

RIP.

Linkyn

Nothing I can say could possibly express the respect I have for this man and the gratitude I owe him. Without his works, I would have grown up to be an entirely different person, and not for the better. He did a service to millions worldwide by revitalising a dead industry, and by supporting some of the most important video game creators in the history of the industry.

I always thought it was a bit strange seeing people mourning someone they don't really know, but I can understand it now. This man has given me my childhood, and his legacy still provides me with countless hours of joy today.

I salute you, Mr. Yamauchi. I doubt this industry will ever see a person so influential again.

Lumyst

From what I've seen, there are times that Nintendo thinks about Nintendo first when making decisions instead of making concessions, at times blatantly, such as expensive cartridges instead of discs for the N64. It is their business, so it's something that I am neutral about, I take what I can get from any of the creators since I myself am not one, yet there are times that it is obvious that a decision Nintendo makes is for its own interests first and foremost.

Now to relive some childhood memories and make a grilled cheese sandwich and play some Bombchu bowling in OoT.

Strike

Lived a very long life. He earned his rest. I can't even imagine what this industry (or GAF) will be like once Miyamoto or Kojima retire/die.

GhaleonQ

I love the quotation Simon Parkin used on Twitter.

What most amazed me is that he made regular game designers into electronic game designers, some of the best(!) electronic game designers. That is INSANE. Things don't work that way. I have little tolerance for horrible bosses who grind out efficiencies in their field, but being a hard man that made other men and women their truest professional selves is something I can completely forgive.

Well done, Yamauchi! You did it! You were 1 of the 1900s' most interesting businesspeople, and you made my life immeasurably better. I'll actually cry when the people whom you helped reinvent die, but I was more impressed with you than I am with them. *applauds*

Edit: I actually read the topic now, and some of you had some great posts about a complex man.

NolbertoS

RIP Yamauchi-san. Still remember playing the original Donkey Kong and Mario Bros in the arcades. Time flies and abit sad now, that we now we new kings in the video game podium with Sony and MS. I'm hoping Yamauchi-san left Nintendo and Iwata, so more creative ideas that Nintendo can product down the road. They'll need all the help to continue to outlast the MS and Sonys of the world.

MisterHero

No pimp picture?
Yamauchi rejecting a Microsoft buyout
I don't know if it's from that time

microsoft_agreementeakia.jpg

onilink88

If you're a Mariners fan, you might find this endearing:

x5m9.jpg

In case you can’t read it, the rock says:

“I acquired the Seattle Mariners as a gesture of goodwill to the citizens of the Pacific Northwest. I am very pleased that what I was asked to do in 1992 has culminated in a magnificent new ballpark. My hope is that SAFECO Field will be the home of the Mariners for generations to come.“ Hiroshi Yamauchi. Kyoto, Japan. July 15, 1999.

Here is some back story. When I was growing up an avid M’s fan, I was bombarded every year with rumors and threats that the Mariners were going to move. The one that stands out the most is that they were going to move to Tampa-St. Pete to play at Tropicana Field.

At the same time that I was worrying about the fate of my beloved Mariners, Mr. Yamauchi’s son-in-law was doing the same thing. Mr. Yamauchi owns Nintendo. He started it in Japan back in the day. Years ago, he brought Nintendo to the U.S. where it was based in the Seattle area. Mr. Yamauchi’s son-in-law lived in Seattle and was a big Mariners fan. He was sick from the thought of the M’s moving to Tampa-St. Pete. Luckily, he had a father-in-law who was flat out loaded. So he went to Mr. Yamauchi and asked him to buy the Mariners and keep them in Seattle. Mr. Yamauchi whipped out his checkbook. He has never been to Seattle. In fact, he’s never been outside of Japan. But he bought the M’s to say thanks to the good people of Seattle and to ensure that the M’s would never leave Seattle.

Thanks, Mr. Yamauchi! YOU DA MAN!

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
RIP...he will be missed in the entire industry. A great man.

Did he find the time to watch a game of the baseball team he owns in the US?

Actually, the Seattle Mariners are owned by Nintendo of America.

What he did for the gaming industry (and Baseball) was incredible. He had a knack for putting the right people in the right places, and getting the most potential out of some extremely talented people. He is a legend, and will be missed.

Game Guru

He was a ruthless, cunning, and vindictive businessman who never played a video game in his life... but without him, Nintendo wouldn't be the juggernaut it is today and the entire video game industry as we know it would be radically different. He may not have been a nice man, but he is one of video gaming's legends and will be sorely missed. RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom