• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hiroshi Yamauchi dies at 85 (Nikkei)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome. I've been trying to find an old version that had captions.

IIRC He thanks people for playing their software. The last sentence was something like, "What kind of product is this anyways?"

Right here. The subtitled version had been pulled from YouTube. And your recollections are correct -- he thanks the player for buying it, is corrected off-screen (it was a Japan-only Nintendo 64DD disk that came free with a subscription to the 64DD's Randnet service, so a lot of users wouldn't really have "purchased" it), he emphasizes his thanks to the player for supporting such a unique piece of Nintendo software (Mario Artist: Talent Studio, one of the N64 successors to Mario Paint). At the end, he walks off, asking what type of software his message was for. The translation in the video isn't super-clear, but that's the gist...

Celine

I don't know if it was here or in another videogame site (or if my mind's tricking me!), but wasn't he or Yokoi presented in a videogame interview titled "The Nostradamus of Videogames"? It had a very striking quote that I can't recall at the moment. If you can recall what I'm saying, please clarify it. Thank you
It was me.

When I have time I will search for that articles (and some others)

Celine

Damn, as a Sega fan(atic) until the fall of the Dreamcast I loathed that guy, but I respected his work. Since then I have become much more friendly to Nintendo and I have come to really understand his impact and role in Nintendo.

Rest in peace, you did good Yamauchi. There will never be another industry guy like you with the swagger, charisma, and the cut throat mentality.
Yamauchi > Nakayama

The two played a big role on why Nintendo is still in the business while Sega went out and was bought by a Pachinko maker.

From the BBC:

_69934695_gates2.jpg

Every time I've seen this picture, Bill Gates has been cropped out.
Was this photo taken when Nintendo and Microsoft struck a deal regarding Satellaview?

Celine

Yamauchi turned Nintendo into a video game company. Yamauchi approved several "wacky" and "risky" ideas that became hardware and software. Yamauchi wasn't as conservative and stubborn as some of the posts above fictionally cite, he supposedly was quite the conversationist and believed in giving his employees autonomy and opportunity to present unconventional ideas.

Yamauchi also believed his development teams should compete against each other, and act in complete secrecy.
BTW Shikamaru how is doing Imanishi?
Many Nintendo fans don't know about him despite the big role he had in the company...

It was Iwata who restructured the R&D and sort of lopsided internal development under Miyamoto / Tezuka.
I think he means that with Zelda and Mario success the company gave more resources and developers to Miyamoto/Tezuka teams compared to R&D1.
With the SNES/GB Yamauchi decided that R&D1 was to be allocated almost entirely to handheld support and that gave less visibility to R&D1 since GB was less powerful than Nintendo home consoles (despite that they produced a few hits like Warioland).
Just look how R&D1 had to use Mario and not one of its own characters to promote the GB.
Of course the result was one of the most bizarre Mario game ever :)

Darryl

Banned
rip the man who helped create a large part of my childhood. would have grown up quite a loner as a homeschooler without things like pokemon giving me an excuse to go out and be social.

Was this photo taken when Nintendo and Microsoft struck a deal regarding Satellaview?

Hold on now, Microsoft had something to do with Satellaview? I thought that until the original Xbox came out, Microsoft and Nintendo would just stare across the Redmond, WA parking lot at each other going "I WANT WHAT YOU HAVE" without ever interacting.

Celine

Hold on now, Microsoft had something to do with Satellaview? I thought that until the original Xbox came out, Microsoft and Nintendo would just stare across the Redmond, WA parking lot at each other going "I WANT WHAT YOU HAVE" without ever interacting.
I'm not sure if anything came out from the deal but yes (there is also a video about it, I think):
http://satellaview.wikia.com/wiki/Satellaview

Also apparently Microsoft had an hand on Sega since 1993-1994, well before the Dreamcast.

Before I could post here I had hoped someone would make this connection and I don't believe many see the resemblance both in the character's attitude and design.

So this seems like the perfect time to do it myself! I'm not the best, and I couldn't figure out another way to make the text readable but I think what I did will suffice. Enjoy!

GNxyDSI.png

He will remain a Legend in my heart

Love him and Travis. And the moment I had seen Yamauchi and Travis existed, I could only think of Yamauchi when I saw the glasses on him.

Iwata and Yamauchi have very different personality yet they share the same business path for Nintendo.

I cant say I agree with the second half of that statement. In the Wind Waker HD edition of Iwata Asks Aouma and Iwata both mention the "Zelda cycle"' where fans initially hate, then come around to respecting new Zelda games. But the Zelda cycle never happened under Yamauchi. And I can't imagine he'd find rereleasing a game that was met with as much vitriol as Wind Waker even fathomable.

mantidor

I cant say I agree with the second half of that statement. In the Wind Waker HD edition of Iwata Asks Aouma and Iwata both mention the "Zelda cycle"' where fans initially hate, then come around to respecting new Zelda games. But the Zelda cycle never happened under Yamauchi. And I can't imagine he'd find rereleasing a game that was met with as much vitriol as Wind Waker even fathomable.

What are you talking about? the Zelda cycle started with Majora's Mask.

wrowa

Not to mention that Wind Waker released just half a year after he retired. If he had severe objections like that, the game would have never entered production.

(Or that tiny little game called Zelda II)

Which is good news considering his track record in opposing Miyamoto's hiring and saying donkey kong etc sucked and would doom NOA isnt very good for his record

Not a single word of that is true.

Not to mention that Wind Waker released just half a year after he retired. If he had severe objections like that, the game would have never entered production.

(Or that tiny little game called Zelda II)

You're both comparing apples to oranges here--whatever some people's disappointments were of MM or Zelda II being too different from their
predecessors, it's nothing compared to the backlash Wind Waker had from unveiling to launch. Even long after the game was released and received high praise there were still many who couldn't or wouldn't even try to get into the game due to its cartoony look. Aonuma even acknowledges that the cycle
started with Wind Waker--I cant recall any noticeable backlash against any particular Zelda game before that, certainly not with MM
and definitely not in the case of Zelda II which sold nearly as well as the original game.

hoserx

I watched that BBC documentary about nintendo yesterday, all I could think about was how the BBC reporter sounded and looked like Jen from the IT Crowd.

Cheerilee said:
He almost certainly had a will. Somebody will inherit them. Maybe it will be his son-in-law and NOA's founder, Minoru Arakawa.

According to Wikipedia, Minoru Arakawa served as President of Tetris Online until early this year (March 2013). Is it a coincidence that he left the company in the midst of Yamauchi-Sans deteriorating health? In any event, it's encouraging to see that Minoru is still involved with video games.

wrowa

You're both comparing apples to oranges here--whatever some people's disappointments were MM or Zelda II being too different from their
predecessors, it's nothing compared to the backlash Wind Waker had from unveiling to launch. Even long after the game was released and received high praise there were still many who couldn't or wouldn't even try to get into the game due to its cartoony look. Aonuma even acknowledges that the cycle
started with Wind Waker--I cant recall any noticeable backlash against any particular Zelda game before that, certainly not with MM
and definitely not in the case of Zelda II which sold nearly as well as the original game.

Zelda II's reputation got a lot better in recent years, when people started to look back at it without the bias of the past, but it doesn't change the fact that it's always been the unbeloved step-child of the franchise that even its creator calls out as the one game he isn't satisfied with.

Majora's Mask released just two years after the most successful Zelda game and managed to become the worst-selling 3D Zelda to date. While a fantastic game, it certainly was rather controversial at its time. You can try to deny that, but that's the way it is.

Wind Waker certainly isn't everyone's cup of tea, but it's definitely not true that Nintendo didn't release controversial games -- or even just controversial Zelda games -- in the years under Yamauchi. Wind Waker might be a special case to a certain degree, but since you used a sales argument to strenghten your point regarding Zelda II: It still sold better than Majora's Mask. So, it's definitely not as bad as you are trying to paint. Celda-Gate or not.

Nevertheless, you still chose to ignore the point that renders your whole argument mood: Wind Waker entered production when Yamauchi was still in charge of Nintendo. Saying that he wouldn't have allowed the product to survive is quite simply false, since he did allow the game to survive. Yamauchi likely wasn't as much in control of the company in his last year as the years before, but I'm sure that he still gave his okay to the more important game projects of the company.

Not a single word of that is true.
Quotes from David Sheff's Game Over posted earlier in this thread:

When Yamauchi so informed Arakawa, his son-in-law fumed. He needed a superior game to save the business and Yamauchi had put an inexperienced apprentice on the job! Why had Yamauchi seduced him into going to America if he was going to sabotage the operation? But there was nothing Mino could do, and he weakly asked his father-in-law, "What is this apprentice's name?"

Yamauchi answred, "Shigeru Miyamoto."

[...]

One day a courier delivered a package that had arrived by air from Kyoto. Don James signed for it and delivered the small box to Arakawa. He opened it and saw the board that contained the new game's program. As the service technician installed it in a console, Arakawa called in Judy and Stone. They watched as the power was turned on. The opening screen announced the game: "DONKEY KONG."

They looked at one another. Stone swore. He and Judy tried the game and concluded that it was a disaster. Two thousand "Donkey Kongs" were worse than two thousand "Radarscopes." Al Stone walked out. "It's over," he said.

Arakawa worriedly complained to Yamauchi, who was thoroughly unsympathetic. He implored Yamauchi to at least change the name, but Yamauchi refused. "It's a good game," he said.

What you quoted was definitely hyperbolic (especially taking the circumstances during the time into account), but it's far from being entirely wrong either.

Zelda II's reputation got a lot better in recent years, when people started to look back at it without the bias of the past, but it doesn't change the fact that it's always been the unbeloved step-child of the franchise that even its creator calls out as the one game he isn't satisfied with.

Majora's Mask released just two years after the most successful Zelda game and managed to become the worst-selling 3D Zelda to date. While a fantastic game, it certainly was rather controversial at its time. You can try to deny that, but that's the way it is.

Wind Waker certainly isn't everyone's cup of tea, but it's definitely not true that Nintendo didn't release controversial games -- or even just controversial Zelda games -- in the years under Yamauchi. Wind Waker might be a special case to a certain degree, but since you used a sales argument to strenghten your point regarding Zelda II: It still sold better than Majora's Mask. So, it's definitely not as bad as you are trying to paint. Celda-Gate or not.

Nevertheless, you still chose to ignore the point that renders your whole argument mood: Wind Waker entered production when Yamauchi was still in charge of Nintendo. Saying that he wouldn't have allowed the product to survive is quite simply false, since he did allow the game to survive. Yamauchi likely wasn't as much in control of the company in his last year as the years before, but I'm sure that he still gave his okay to the more important game projects of the company.

What you quoted was definitely hyperbolic (especially taking the circumstances during the time into account), but it's far from being entirely wrong either.

It's finally caught up though. Miyamoto's has completely tanked Wii U with a NSMB clone, Pikmin 3, and Nintedoland.

-Eddman-

I bought the Game Over book thanks to this thread and man, this company has quite the fascinating history. The bit about Yamauchi's father and his eternal regret for not forgiving him was heartbreaking. I don't know, maybe he didn't force Arakawa to take over the company because he didn't want to repeat what distanced his father from him?

Also, the book reinforced my respect for Genyo Takeda. He's a legend despite all the shit he's been getting from forum people because of the Wii U failure.

Without a doubt Yamauchi was one of the most interesting men of the 20th century. RIP.

You have it entirely backwards. Zelda II's reputation only got worse as the series progressed and 1) new Zelda fans tried it out and couldn't handle the difficulty and 2) older Zelda fans went back to it and couldn't handle the difficulty. Look up contemporary reviews of Zelda II, dig through old magazines and see what the buzz was. There wasn't this stigma that there is now of it being a terrible sequel to The Legend of Zelda. Same with Super Mario Bros. 2 for that matter. I wish I could actually cite some reviews to back my case, but I'm sure that anyone with a collection of game magazines circa 1986-1988 can back me up.

And Miyamoto only said he thinks that they could have done more with it, that it only came out as they "planned it on paper". I can recall interviews from around the time of Ocarina of Time where he expressed the desire to make another Zelda II like game, and only years later in the OoT 3D Iwata Asks was it revealed that he and Yoshiaki Koizumi were actually working on a polygonal version of the game for the Super Famicom.

That's funny, I don't remember choosing to ignore anything. I was referring to the way that Wind Waker was received in NA post-release, where there was enough negative hype that Nintendo actually changed their plans of the next console Zelda bearing the same art style and being a direct sequel to Wind Waker, and decided against including Tingle after finding out how much people hated him in the US. Its true that Yamauchi didn't have much of a reaction to the initial, post-Spaceworld internet backlash, but in late 2001 he probably already had one foot out the door anyway. At any rate, I hardly think I am overstating the effects of the backlash when Eiji Aonuma basically admitted recently that Twilight Princess was made as a response to that.

According to Hardcore Gaming 101's review of Game Over (and others I've read that I can't be bothered to look up now) the book is "riddled with factual errors".
Wikipedia cites the much more recent (but also highly reviewed) The Ultimate History of Video Games: The Story behind the Craze that Touched Our Lives and Changed the World by Steven Kent as saying:

The game was sent to Nintendo of America for testing. The sales manager hated it for being too different from the maze and shooter games common at the time,[46] and Judy and Lincoln expressed reservations over the strange title. Still, Arakawa swore that it would be big

Point is, Game Over isn't the end-all and be-all of Donkey Kong historical accounts, and David Sheff's credibility in that book has been called into question before.

EDIT: I really don't like the look of this, flooding a page that's about the mourning of Nintendo's former CEO with unrelated arguments about Zelda. Please PM me if you wish to continue this.

ramine

Unconfirmed Member
All I know is that the whole Nintendo gaining the rights to Tetris played out like a cold-war novel. It's really a fucking amazing story. You've got Tengen and Namco trying to steal and backwards engineer the NES lockout chip. You've got multiple people from various companies going to communist Russia/USSR to try to gain the rights to Tetris. You've got Howard Lincoln and crew swooping in their like CIA agents and walking away with the rights to Tetris while screwing the guys who thought they had it. The whole story of how Tetris ended up on Gameboy is really some Godfather-esque/James Bond style shit.

Is there a good place to read about this?

massoluk

Banned
Game Over really isn't the definitive book people wanted it to be. Howard Phillips wasn't too kind when I asked about it in Reddit AMA.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/10elzq/i_am_gamemaster_howard_of_nintendo_fame_ask_me/c6cu68z

IMHO Sheff was an opportunist with the book - he did a series of interviews for Men's Life magazine and then later did the book without support from any of us. I think he both made a bunch of stuff up as well as embellished for entertainment value a number of things that he didn't need to.

TunaLover

Shocking news, and sad day for the industry, he would have been a stuborn crazy old man, but he was a real visionary who put all his passion in video-games.

I'm actually loss at words for this. This is all you literally think of about the death of someone important in the industry? What the hell is wrong with you?

If you'll look at his post history, he's an anti-Nintendo troll. One of the more irritating posters in this forum. Just ignore the schmuck.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

Lumyst

This is the article Reversed asked a few posts ago, I believe:

Another quote by Yamauchi:
bi0Fq.jpg

Since yesterday and after seeing so much of Yamauchi's history and his quotes, I've really learned that Nintendo really does stick to its guns and designs its games and consoles based on its own visions and ideas (as others have said, for better, or for worse). So Yamauchi was 68 when the N64 launched, and 73 when the Gamecube launched, and those two consoles were able to compete with hardware power, did the deemphasis on hardware power come after those two consoles were beaten sales-wise, was there an epiphany after the Gamecube was made? Come to think of it, Takeda is up there in age as well, 64. Nintendo is run by "stubborn old geezers" >_< (I say that lovingly, by the way.)

Come to think of it, Takeda is up there in age as well, 64. Nintendo is run by "stubborn old geezers" >_< (I say that lovingly, by the way.)

Thats so many of the Japanese gaming companies its not even funny. Seriously, thats why they are in such a down turn, old ass business decisions and models and no other input matters.

I know you guys hate Patchter but even he realizes companies like Nintendo are going to be in for rough(er) times until someone fresh gets their hands on the company, not the old guard and the old guard's apprentices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom