• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hiroshi Yamauchi dies at 85 (Nikkei)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feep

Banned
Definitely the most important gaming figure who has yet died, by a LONG shot. This death'll probably be eclipsed by Miyamoto's, but not by many others.

Rest in peace, guy. You were pretty rad.

Forkball

Definitely one of the most important people in the history of gaming. Who knows how Nintendo would have turned out without his leadership. RIP

Brofist

I'll translate this for everyone from Googlespeak:

Yamauchi the 19th, was 85 years old, has announced Nintendo, the former president has died this morning on the same day as his adviser.

RIP Yamauchi-sama

Yamuachi is the 19th of his name, amazing!

I'd stick to Google if I were you.

Celine

WPoIhzc.jpg

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Definitely the most important gaming figure who has yet died, by a LONG shot. This death'll probably be eclipsed by Miyamoto's, but not by many others.

Rest in peace, guy. You were pretty rad.

I don't even want to think about this or any others D:
He led Nintendo from 1949-2002; basically responsible for the modern console market.

JohnDoe

Banned
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi.
Thanks for everything you've done for us; you and your company shaped the gaming industry in unbelievable ways. Without you, video gaming wouldn't be what it is today.

Celine

Makes me want to read the book "Game Over" by David Sheff all over again. I'll never forget reading how Yamauchi tore into the president of Coleco over a licensing issue in the early days of Nintendo. The guy was a badass, but always believed in releasing a quality product, even so far as recalling the first batch of Famicom's to fix a defect and ship 'em back out.

R.I.P. Yamauchi-san.

[when Iwata succeeded him]
When somewhat bluntly asked why Iwata was chosen for the job Yamauchi, speaking as freely as ever, told all. “The reason for Iwata-san's selection comes down to his knowledge and understanding of Nintendo's hardware and software. An executive, regardless of his vast successes, is fundamentally an executive, who doesn't intimately understand our products.” Yamauchi continues, “Within our industry there are those who believe that they will succeed simply because of their successes in other ventures or their wealth, but that doesn't guarantee success. Looking at their experiences since entering the gaming world, it's apparent that our competitors have yielded far more failures than successes. It's been said that Sony is the current winner in the gaming world. However, when considering their ‘victory’, you should remember that their success is only a very recent development. Though Sony is widely held to be the strongest in the market, their fortunes may change. Tomorrow, they could lose that strength, as reversals of fortune are part of this business. Taking into account the things I've encountered in my experiences as Nintendo president, I have come to the conclusion that it requires a special talent to manage a company in this industry. I selected Iwata-san based on that criteria. Over the long-term I don't know whether Iwata-san will maintain Nintendo's position or lead the company to even greater heights of success. At the very least, I believe him to be the best person for the job.”

Originally Posted by Game Over:
In his late thirties, Yamauchi was suavely handsome, a cigarette always dangling from the corner of his mouth. Even after he sold his love hotel, he was a familiar face among the Kyoto demimonde. Michiko [his wife] said nothing, but the children resented him bitterly.

In 1970, on her twentieth birthday, Yamauchi shocked Yoko [his daughter] when he announced that she was going out on the town with him. She dressed up and accompanied him to a cabaret, a sikake, where five geishas attended them, serving drinks. The women obviously knew him very well. Hiroshi toasted Yoko's coming of age, but when it got late, he sent her home in a taxi. He didn't come home until dawn.

Dressed in a conservative suit, [Minoru Arakawa] arrived at the Yamauchis'. After the introductions were made, he joined the family at the low dining table, where Michiko and Yoko served the meal. Hiroshi sat back in his chair and studied his daughter's suitor.

The evening wore on and Yamauchi fired questions at Minoru as if he were conducting a job interview. He had to be convinced that Minoru was not a heaver drinker or a playboy.

"You went to Harvard, eh?" Yamauchi asked. "That is a good school."

Mino politely explained that he had gone to MIT.

"I have never heard of it," Yamauchi said.

Yoko and Mino had to convince him that MIT was okay too.

After the meal, the family withdrew to the living room for tea. There, Yamauchi looked at Arakawa and said, without emotion, "If you are going to marry my daughter, you should marry quickly."

Yoko and Minoru exchanged glances, and the young man nodded politely. "Yes, sir," he said.

Hiroshi ribbed Arakawa, saying he was a good choice because a woman shouldn't marry a man who was too good-looking. "If you have a nice-looking man, the girls won't leave him alone," he told his daughter.

Arakawa pleaded with Yamauchi until his father-in-law finally put someone on the project. The chairman told Gunpei Yokoi to oversee the work of the young apprentice he had asked to come up with something. "But he knows nothing about video games," Yokoi said.

Yamauchi responded that there was no one else available.

The young man Yamauchi had chosen wasn't from any of the engineering groups; in fact, he wasn't even an engineer, but he had enthusiasm and some interesting ideas about the ways video games should be designed.

When Yamauchi so informed Arakawa, his son-in-law fumed. He needed a superior game to save the business and Yamauchi had put an inexperienced apprentice on the job! Why had Yamauchi seduced him into going to America if he was going to sabotage the operation? But there was nothing Mino could do, and he weakly asked his father-in-law, "What is this apprentice's name?"

Yamauchi answred, "Shigeru Miyamoto."

One day a courier delivered a package that had arrived by air from Kyoto. Don James signed for it and delivered the small box to Arakawa. He opened it and saw the board that contained the new game's program. As the service technician installed it in a console, Arakawa called in Judy and Stone. They watched as the power was turned on. The opening screen announced the game: "DONKEY KONG."

They looked at one another. Stone swore. He and Judy tried the game and concluded that it was a disaster. Two thousand "Donkey Kongs" were worse than two thousand "Radarscopes." Al Stone walked out. "It's over," he said.

Arakawa worriedly complained to Yamauchi, who was thoroughly unsympathetic. He implored Yamauchi to at least change the name, but Yamauchi refused. "It's a good game," he said.

Sixty thousand more "Donkey Kongs" were sold, and Nintendo of America's second year ended with more than $100 million in sales.

Donkey Kong appears on the Adam Computer without Nintendo's say:
Yamauchi entered the room abruptly and, without addressing anyone, stood at the end of the table. He became, as one of those present put it, "unglued."

He began with a breathy, high-pitched tirade in a Marlon Brando monotone and quickly became loud and abusive. with a piercing cry, he swung his arm in an arc in front of him, shooting his outstretched index finger toward Greenberg.

Yamauchi's diatribe, all in Japanese, completely stunned everyone in the room with the possible exception of the Arakawas. Howard Lincoln said, "It scared the hell out of me."

The Coleco people weren't aware that they had messed up Nintendo's lucrative Atari deal- millions of dollars were in the balance- but they could see that they had somehow incurred Yamauchi's unfathomable wrath. When Greenberg tuned to Arakawa for help, he was met with a cold stare. By the time Yamauchi wound down, no one in the room said a word.

The translator finally began to speak. "Mr. Yamauchi is very upset," the man said.

Yamauchi spoke again, never wavering. He made it clear that there was nothing else to be said. No excuses would be listened to. Coleco had to refrain from selling "Donkey Kong" on Adam and announce the mistake, or there would be a lawsuit that would leave nothing of the company. There was no doubt that he meant it.

Greenberg and his colleagues retreated from the suite, shaken. Afterward, at dinner in the hotel's Japanese restaurant, Yamauchi, his tie loosened, turned to Howard Lincoln, who was still in a state of shock and said, "Sometimes this is the way you have to handle people, Mr. Lincoln. What did you think about that performance?"

OryoN

Very sad lost!

Rest in peace, Yamauchi! He will be remembered as the man who made Nintendo a revered name. His legendary name will always ring synonymously with 'Nintendo.'

Thanks for aiding in making my gaming life such a pleasure!

monome

Nintendo is 10% closer to making iOS games...sigh.

Cards, brothels, toys, videogames etc...Yamauchi had it full and I can picture him playing golf in Heaven with Momofuku Ando (who invented Nisshin instant ramens).

element

As someone who grew up gaming AND in Seattle, Yamauchi-san influence has been a huge part of my life.

Being a lifelong gamer and someone who works in the industry, he helped shape what has turned into my career.
Being a lifelong Mariners fan, Yamauchi-san personally saved them from moving. With that we got a new stadium. A great team (back in the early 2000's). And when I have kids, I can share those same experience I had growing up cheering for Griffey, Ichiro, and Felix.

Rest in peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom