• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman Absolution Announced (2012, PS3/360/PC, Teaser) [Update: New Details]

Seda

Update 6 (IO trying to broaden audience):

raphier post #461 said:
http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/new-game-engine-brings-hitman-absolution-to-the-masses/

“The Hitman games of past have been very hardcore,” said Tore Blystad, game director at IO Interactive. “Even though the fantasy of the Hitman universe has a very universal appeal, the games have been so difficult to play, that it’s been more of an acquired taste. The biggest challenge that we had with this game was to make it much broader in every sense, so that it was easier to play and more accessible, but still retain a very strong, hardcore side as well. We don’t want to alienate any of our fans who have been extremely loyal for so many years.”

There is no such thing as medium between hardcore and mainstream. You're about to displease both sides, IO.

Update 5 (More Details, CG Screenshot, & Potential Boxarts):

Soda post #423 said:
With Hitman: Absolution, gamers are in for a cinematic take on the best-selling video game franchise, which has sold more than 10 million copies worldwide since launching in 2000. The fourth game in the franchise, Hitman: Blood Money, has sold more than 2.1 million copies since it shipped in 2007.

"There are more central characters in this game than we've ever dealt with before and they all have names and an important role in the story, so working with Hollywood talent was crucial to us," Blystad added. "It's important within the framework of the game for players to be able to connect with these characters."

Blystad said it was also important that this latest game deliver on the shooting action that the franchise has offered over the years. The drama that pushes the story forward serves as a cinematic layer on top of the core gameplay, which sends Agent 47 on different missions throughout the U.S. A portion of the game takes place in Chicago.

"We've seen the grit and texture and the character-driven context that IO Interactive is going for with Hitman: Absolution and it's our goal to bring Agent 47 back with a vengeance next year in a movie," said Adrian Askarieh, who is producing a second Hitman film with Chuck Gordon and Fox International. Daniel Casey (Jimmy Six) has written the latest draft of the script.

The first Hitman movie earned $100 million at the box office with Timothy Olyphant ("Justified") playing Agent 47. The new installment will have an original story and characters, but will retain the look and feel of the new game.

If all the pieces fall into place, gamers will have both a big screen Hitman adventure and a new video game in 2012.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/new-hitman-absolution-game-uses-187550

Playing Blood Money recently, yes there are some shootouts but the truth is all of them can be avoided with properly placed RU-AP mines.

Speedymanic post #424 said:
It's concept art, here's a real in game shot...

AU2Eu.jpg

Guerrillas in the Mist post #445 said:
(Apparently) Three potential cover arts from a marketing survey. Seems to be from before the title was decided on, judging from the use of Hitman: Subtitle on the covers.

http://uk.kotaku.com/5801958/marketing-survey-leaks-cover-art-for-hitman-subtitle/gallery/

500x_hitmancover1.jpg

500x_hitmancover2.jpg

500x_hitmancover3.jpg

The third one looks nice and sinister and ties in with previous covers. The others just don't look right.

Update 4 (Concept Art):

MMaRsu post #387 said:
hitman1a.jpg

hitman2.jpg

Screens of a teaser or trailer perhaps? The way 47 is jumping out a window reminds me of the last movie -_-.

Looks gritty and dark and lame.

Update 3 (First Details and Logo):

Speedymanic post #166 said:
More info

The main villain in Hitman: Absolution is Blake Dexter, played by Cowboys & Aliens star Keith Carradine.

Agent 47's handler is Diana Burnwood, played by White Collar's Marsha Thomason. Diana is said to have a "close relationship" with Agent 47, Hollywood Reporter revealed.

"Diana is 47's only true human contact," Thomason said. "They've known each other an extremely long time, and in the Hitman world, she is what Q is to James Bond. So she sets the assignments, tells him where to go and who to kill."

"The character I play in Hitman: Absolution is as multidimensional as any well-imagined character should be," Carradine said.

"The vividness of the world entered by the gamer hinges on detail. To fully engage the attention of the player requires nothing less than the most completely realized universe of geography and personality."

Developer IO is working with a dozen Hollywood actors for the hotly-anticipated game, due out next year.

Actors are required to provide performance capture and voice over work, conducted in Giant Studios, which James Cameron used for blockbuster movie Avatar.

IO has captured "complex scenes" with up to seven actors on set at once. Absolution focuses on the emotional stories that evolve, director Tore Blystad said.

"We had actors like Marsha and Keith come in and do full-body acting with facial and voice being captured simultaneously in scenes.

"Some of these scenes were very complex with all kinds of props and interactions amongst the actors."

PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 game Absolution was announced two days ago with a brief teaser trailer, below.

Agent 47 takes on "his most dangerous contract to date", publisher Square Enix said. "Betrayed by those he trusted and hunted by the police, he finds himself at the centre of a dark conspiracy and must embark on a personal journey through a corrupt and twisted world, in his search for the truth."

Absolution has been built "from the ground up" by IO using its new proprietary Glacier 2 technology.

Blystad described it as "more stylised, more serious, and darker this time around in both the story line and the visuals".

Agent 47 goes on different missions throughout the US, with part of the game taking place in Chicago.

A new Hitman movie launches next year to coincide with the film. Daniel Casey (Jimmy Six) has written the script. The film is said to have an original story and characters, "but will retain the look and feel of the new game".

"The hope is that the movie will be going in a similar direction, and then when they both come out they will speak the same language. They won't follow the old Hitman games, but rather go with this newer direction."

Hitman, this ain't. :/
Sn4ke_911 post #168 said:
Still no logo?

Edit: Nvm.

gJqg7.png

Update 2 (Mo-Cap):

WrikaWrek post #162 said:

Update 1 (Press Release):

miladesn post #64 said:
Press Release said:
COPENHAGEN (May 10, 2011) — IO Interactive A/S, part of Square Enix Europe, is pleased to announce HITMAN® ABSOLUTION™, a new game for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, and Windows PC.

HITMAN ABSOLUTION follows Agent 47™, a cold-blooded assassin, who takes on his most dangerous contract to date. Betrayed by those he once trusted — and now hunted by the police — he suddenly finds himself at the center of a dark conspiracy and must embark on a personal journey through a corrupt and twisted world.

“For the first time we are taking Agent 47 on a personal journey which allows us to explore other parts of the Hitman® fantasy,” said Tore Blystad, game director, IO Interactive. “This is both a familiar and yet significantly different experience from other Hitman games; something our silent assassins will relish, as will all those new to the Hitman world.”

Showcasing IO Interactive’s new proprietary Glacier 2™ technology, the game has been built from the ground up. Boasting a cinematic story, distinctive art direction and highly original game design, HITMAN ABSOLUTION combines much-loved classic gameplay with completely new features never seen before in the Hitman franchise.

HITMAN ABSOLUTION will be showcased by invitation only at the upcoming Electronic Entertainment Expo in Los Angeles from June 7-9.

HITMAN ABSOLUTION is not yet rated. Please visit the Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB) website at www.esrb.org for more information about ratings.

For more information and updates about HITMAN ABSOLUTION, please visit the official website: www.Hitman.com

Also, many sites are confirming a 2012 release date.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ORIGINAL:

Hitman Absolution Teaser Video

A more formal announcement is coming tomorrow morning, according to Square Enix.

via vg247

micster

Barcode states 110706. Does Square have their own E3 conference this year, because Sony and Microsoft's conferences are on the 6th

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
micster said:
Barcode states 110706. Does Square have their own E3 conference this year, because Sony and Microsoft's conferences are on the 6th

No, they dont. That's the day E3 starts though.

Soda

as soon as his hands move after screwing in the silencer you see a white object that quickly goes blurry.

detected-gaf go!

Betrayed by those he trusted and hunted by the police, he finds himself at the centre of a dark conspiracy and must embark on a personal journey through a corrupt and twisted world, in his search for the truth.

PLOT DEVICE REVEALED!

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I don't know, since no one left from the original Hitman team at IO ( it's all K&L team now ?)

will re post this

Dick Laurent said:
a reboot is warranted in this case though. almost none of the people that made the hitman games are working for IOI anymore. take a look, http://www.reto.dk/retoweb/ -- company info has a list of names. that's almost all programmers and artists from the hitman team

codename 47 http://www.mobygames.com/game/window...ame-47/credits
silent assassin http://www.mobygames.com/game/window...sassin/credits
contracts http://www.mobygames.com/game/window...tracts/credits
blood money http://www.mobygames.com/game/window...-money/credits

the director on blood money also isn't with IOI anymore either. hitman5 was probably scheduled to be released in 2008, the previous games came out 2000 2002 2004 and 2006. but all the retomoto people left IOI in 2008.

retomoto are currently working on a battlefield style ww2 team shooter, with huge levels vehicles and capture points. it's launched and set up from a quite nice web interface, although I can't tell in the current alpha build on the server if the game will turn out good in the end. but it probably will considering the experience this team has got. it's still really early. here's the site for it http://www.heroesandgenerals.com/landing/index.php

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=24132679&postcount=105

So don't get too hyped guys, keep it safe.

Soda said:
as soon as his hands move after screwing in the silencer you see a white object that quickly goes blurry.

detected-gaf go!

PLOT DEVICE REVEALED!
It's the light behind him.

Totobeni said:
So don't get too hyped guys, keep it safe.
May be different dudes but if they stick to the core philosophy of the series it should be OK.

SamuraiX-

I fucking hate teasers.

So utterly pointless unless you just happen to live under a rock and haven't heard news about this game from like a month ago.

derFeef

SamuraiX- said:
I fucking hate teasers.

So utterly pointless unless you just happen to live under a rock and haven't heard news about this game from like a month ago.
Hype! Tomorrow is CG trailer :p

Soda said:

I just liked the subtle animation of giving the silencer that extra squeeze to make sure it's on tight :D

Seda

TheJollyCorner said:
ughh... no S-E Conference this year?

Hope that doesn't rule out a potential unveiling of a new FFXIII-2 trailer. :/

Doesn't mean stuff can't be shown at other conferences.

faridmon

Did we actually knew that its going to be called Absolution? Last time I knew about this game was when they were calling it Hitman 5...

Great name though.

Seda

faridmon said:
Did we actually knew that its going to be called Absolution? Last time I knew about this game was when they were calling it Hitman 5...

Great name though.

Yeah, GAF found that Absolution was trademarked around halfway into April.

Soda

Things I want:

No 'intuition' or see through walls capability (keep what they had with BM, higher difficulties yield less information on the map regarding enemy/police/civilian/target locations)

All of the Hitman trademark weapons (piano wire/syringes)

MULTIPLE routes to completing a mission (can't stress enough)

Keep the notoriety concept

Keep sedated people out the whole map (unlike mgs where they wake up after a while from being knocked out)

I"ll probably update this as I think of more things

Jb

Hitman games live or die by their level design. I just hope they spend a shitload of time coming up with creative, exciting and complex new missions that will be as memorable as"A new life" in Blood Money.

Also, they better have a fucking Ave Maria or some epic choir songs in this game. And Jesper Kyd better be back too.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
So, bets on if the bit the lights up means anything? I am going with June 7th, 2011, first day of E3.

I personally can't get too hyped since the trailer shows nothing, and the trailers never really actually describe the game IMO (I watched Blood Monies Trailer after I finished the game and felt it didn't reflect the game at all)

BlackBeltBambi said:
Please be good. Don't do a Splinter Cell on us, Square.
Betrayed by those he trusted and hunted by the police, he finds himself at the centre of a dark conspiracy and must embark on a personal journey through a corrupt and twisted world, in his search for the truth.

Sounds like Splinter Cell Conviction to me, oh well...
34hudxdd72o.gif

Keeping my eyes and ears peeled on this game now.

Top Bottom