• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman Absolution Announced (2012, PS3/360/PC, Teaser) [Update: New Details]

MMaRsu

Banned
Radogol said:
He really isn't. An alarm went off in my head as soon as the discussion started, so I know where you're coming from, but just think how much louder that alarm would be if they really did that.

My fist reaction to his post was "Son please, why can't a person of one ethnicity play a person of another one?". But then I realized what he meant - that to ultra PC people like myself and presumably you, it could appear as whitewashing a performance by a black actress. Blackface in reverse. I'm very happy with Thomason's voice, but I wouldn't be comfortable with Diana being white in light of this.

I don't understand this discussion. Reverse blackface? wtf.

She's just a black women doing mocap, maybe she was a right fit or easy to get? Diana should still stay white, because she's been white since Hitman 1.

Who cares about the color of a mocap artist in relation to the character they are playing?

Yeah these things aren't exactly what you'd want to hear as a fan of the series.
Original team barely present.
Hollywood actors.
Darker, more serious.

Hopefully future details will paint a more encouraging picture.

Radogol

MMaRsu said:
She's just a black women doing mocap, maybe she was a right fit or easy to get? Diana should still stay white, because she's been white since Hitman 1.

Who cares about the color of a mocap artist in relation to the character they are playing?

Mocap and voice. And I seriously doubt Marsha Thomason is easy to get. Easier than Halle Berry, sure, but probably much tougher than the entire cast of Heavy Rain.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
VibratingDonkey said:
Yeah these things aren't exactly what you'd want to hear as a fan of the series.
Hollywood actors.
Darker, more serious.

I approve that.

helipilot22

Neo Member
Oh shit I hope they don't tack on some really bad multiplayer, they need to stick to devious ways of killing the targets, and outlandish locales, think bond master criminal lair type places.
Fuck cut scenes just wasting disc space on my opinion. I want to be able to crawl all over the levels and scope out my own way of doing things, no painting by numbers is required please IO.
Make it the most difficult game this gen and that alone will make it stand out from the crowd, once again we could have bragging rights for ringing every last drop of hidden goodness from a game.

VibratingDonkey said:
Hollywood actors.
Darker, more serious.

Yeah, this is shaping up to be a horrible disaster.
Hitman needs no hollywood retards, they already tried to ruin the series with the shitty movie.
Hitman also needs no "darker" tone, because the best thing about hitman was that it was set in a semi-plausible scenario that resembled the real world and not some crazy alternate grimdark world.
The best hitman missions were the ones that were grounded in reality the most.
Traditions of trade, a new life, etc.

Since they're now pissing away all their budget for hollywood crap I expect the game to be a super linear corridor cover-shooter with coop elements.

MMaRsu said:
I don't understand this discussion. Reverse blackface? wtf.

Voice acting as well as facial capturing.

"We had actors like Marsha and Keith come in and do full-body acting with facial and voice being captured simultaneously in scenes.

Ultimately, they can change whatever the hell they want (although I'd still prefer Vivienne back on VA duties) as long as they capture what made BM so damn amaze.

I just don't want them to fuck this up ala Conviction.

RedSwirl

Assuming this game does just end up being an evolution of Blood Money, what specific features and things would you guys actually want?

"Hey guyse, we got a brilliant franchise with unique mechanics that is loved by fans and gamers arround the whole world, not for the story but for the gaming experience.
Should we expand on the core elements that made our game so popular in the first place and see if even more people will start playing it?"

NO FUCK THAT! LET'S CALL HOLLYWOOD BECAUSE THAT WORKED SO GREAT THE FIRST TIME WE TRIED IT AND LET THEM HELP US TO BURN SOME MONEY IN OUR BACKYARD AND ON A STORY IN A HITMAN GAME! FUCK GAME MECHANICS IT'S NOW A SHOOTER AND REALLY DARK AND GRITTY! THIS WILL EARN US THE SALES OF THE MODERN H4rDk0R3 GAMERS.

game fails to connect to old audience and alienates them.
game fails to connect to new audience because they are busy playing gears of war 3, battlefield 3 and modern warfare 3.

IO goes bankcrupt.

Interfectum

RedSwirl said:
Assuming this game does just end up being an evolution of Blood Money, what specific features and things would you guys actually want?

Better AI, cleaned up game mechanics, better rewards and perks for being a silent assassin, DLC support for more levels, weapons, etc, Blood Money "accident system" expanded upon, etc.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Look, I don't even need to hear anything about the gameplay to be massively worried about this. Do you know why? Because the very first things they have told us are about the story and the characters and the big name voice actors!
Why the hell didn't they tell us a single minuscule scrap about how it plays?

derFeef

Looks like I am the only one who is looking forward to what they are showing and/or telling us about the gameplay mechanics. Everyone else goes doom and gloom. I am out, you guys kill my hype.

edit: especially the capslock dude.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
derFeef said:
Looks like I am the only one who is looking forward to what they are showing and/or telling us about the gameplay mechanics. Everyone else goes doom and gloom. I am out, you guys kill my hype.

edit: especially the capslock dude.
The fact that the first information we got concerned what big name voice actors they had landed tells us lots about where their priorities are. They think we're supposed to get excited about this information.

Radogol

The_Technomancer said:
The fact that the first information we got concerned what big name voice actors they had landed tells us lots about where their priorities are. They think we're supposed to get excited about this information.

Ayup. It's a well known fact that the lead designer himself handles the PR.

RedSwirl

Interfectum said:
Better AI, cleaned up game mechanics, better rewards and perks for being a silent assassin, DLC support for more levels, weapons, etc, Blood Money "accident system" expanded upon, etc.

I think an interesting thing to add would be the ability to talk to NPCs, see if you can bullshit your way around certain stuff.

Hitman is already best played as a puzzle adventure game anyway.

Interfectum

The_Technomancer said:

Also they mention a fucking movie that will be released with the game. lol

They are obviously gearing this game up for mainstream appeal. And, while I love Blood Money, it was not a mainstream game. So unless they've come up with some great ideas to bring Hitman to the masses while retaining it's smart, almost puzzle like gameplay (doubtful) I'm guessing we are looking at a more shooter based title with guided linear levels that feature packets of "choice" along the way. (ie: You must escape the building will you shoot the guards, poison the guards or sneak past the guards.)

Wat @ Diana being black. That's... interesting, I guess.

But yeah, I can honestly say I never really cared about the Hitman story - it's never been the series' strongsuit. All I want is new and inventive contracts to fulfill, in larger but denser environments, and with today's visual fidelity. The CG cutscenes could be stick figures for all I care. Just bring Hitman to the modern age and I will be happy.

helipilot22

Neo Member
RedSwirl said:

We want genius ways of killing people, trap the target in a walk in freezer, brrrrilliant. At a well known fast food joint that way we could use the clown/ronald suit again.

Or how about a huge aquarium theme park level with don't touch the glass sharks, maybe lift the bit where Felix Lighter loses his legs from The living daylights movie.

Old fashioned toilet cisterns are heavy and hurt when they land on your head, remember to pull the flush though.

I got another, night club dancers and a laser light show only these lasers can be rigged to burn.

IO here we go just thought of it, go and watch the final destination movies and pinch some stuff, think the Honda adverts and Tom and Jerry.

This is grim but what the fuck, how about a buliding site and walling up a target, but to unlock the wall up mechanic the player must first go over to the site office and train in disguise (briefly) to lay bricks. No prompts the player must figure it out or no satisfaction gained.

Multi layered mechanics of target killing.

MMaRsu

Banned
I kinda want to get in contact with IOI ( Twitter, facebook ) just to share the sold numbers for the Splinter Cell series.

Conviction sold the least, this should tell them enough.

I don't care if they have to redo the entire game, I don't want a fucking cover shooter or whatevs! GIMME BLOOD MONEY2!

helipilot22

Neo Member
MMaRsu said:
I kinda want to get in contact with IOI ( Twitter, facebook ) just to share the sold numbers for the Splinter Cell series.

Conviction sold the least, this should tell them enough.

I don't care if they have to redo the entire game, I don't want a fucking cover shooter or whatevs! GIMME BLOOD MONEY2!

Do it now.

Hm... I'm still interested in the game. Just cause some Hollywood talent is in the game, I'm not ready to write it off just yet.

I will remain optimistic. Also, the girl who plays Diana in White Collar is hot.

MMaRsu

Banned
helipilot22 said:
Do it now.

I thought I saw the numbers in the Splinter Cell 6 thread, but I can't find them now :(.
Either way, the fact that they are indeed sharing story stuff first, talking about hitman as someone who is a dark tormented guy or something bound for revenge and not showing any gameplay at E3 isn't giving me any hope.

IO is going all out with the story and actors. Too bad Agent 47 is a boring and unimaginative character. They should have scrapped him and created an interesting character.

marathonfool said:
IO is going all out with the story and actors. Too bad Agent 47 is a boring and unimaginative character. They should have scrapped him and created an interesting character.
Yeah I can go with this. I actually wouldn't mind being able to create my own hitman.

stephen08

I'm excited but at the same time worried that they will turn this franchise into an action fest. Ideally for me it would evolve in the same vein as Blood Money.

MMaRsu

Banned
marathonfool said:
What the fuck is wrong with you?

Nobody cares about the story or actors.
People DO care about 47, he's a cool character, and he doesn't need a huge personal story.

I care about the missions, the gameplay in the Hitman series. 47 isn't what attracted me, but he's the main dude so he should stay regardless.

And IOI shouldn't be pandering to people like you, who obviously don't care about the series.

Murkas

Diana: 47, we've been exposed, they're all coming after you. TAKE CONTROL OF THAT MOUNTED MACHINE GUN ON THE ROOF!
*dozens of soldiers come out of cars and when you kill them all a helicopter comes*

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
MMaRsu said:

People DO care about 47, he's a cool character, and he doesn't need a huge personal story.

I care about the missions, the gameplay in the Hitman series. 47 isn't what attracted me, but he's the main dude so he should stay regardless.

And IOI shouldn't be pandering to people like you, who obviously don't care about the series.

...geez dude. I agree with you, but calm down...he's allowed his cruddy opinion. :p

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
MMaRsu said:

This what I fear, If these guys at IO want to go for new gamers and made the game more Unchartedy and 47 just another Drake clone just to appeal to more new gamers..then..yeah..shit will be bad.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
You know what's fun? Everybody has their series, or their genre that they don't want to see "consolized." Look at the Soul Calibur thread, this one, The Witcher 2 thread (or my personal windmill, Dragon Age 2).

This shit is becoming a real problem across the board. But yet, no matter what, there is always somebody in each instance who wants Game X to become more Call of Duty-ish.

Soda

I have a proposal for all of NeoGAF,

GAF is unquestionably the largest internet gaming message board. Developers, investors, and other video game media outlets look to NeoGAF for news and opinions. I think that the moderators of this board and its members should compose a single unified letter to IO pleading to not redesign Hitman Absolution into something completely different. Agent 47 is not an acrobatic; I don't want to see him doing swan dives off tall buildings. His greatest talent is hiding in plain sight, and he should never be forced to use a firearm or even raise suspicious of his presence. Another user posted earlier that if they ruin this, there will be no more stealth games. I know it's a shot in the dark, but I would much rather have this game get delayed and come out as something we want rather than a game like Conviction.

MMaRsu said:

I've played every single Hitman game.

Agent 47 is a boring, sterile, and unappealing character. IOI took the cold assassin moniker literally. Your response is full of contradictions. It's not about the character or story, it's about the the gameplay, but main dude should not be changed. Nobody cares about the story or actors yet apparently people DO care about 47.

Make up your mind.

helipilot22

Neo Member
MMaRsu said:
I thought I saw the numbers in the Splinter Cell 6 thread, but I can't find them now :(.
Either way, the fact that they are indeed sharing story stuff first, talking about hitman as someone who is a dark tormented guy or something bound for revenge and not showing any gameplay at E3 isn't giving me any hope.

Looked for the units sold up until conviction and no luck. However I have checked out the USER metascore of both chaos theory and conviction.

Chaos theory user metascore 95
Conviction user metascore 77

If indeed Absolution is being dumbed down for todays wide net of player types it is very sad indeed.
I say make them think they might even enjoy it.

Nome

I hope they have rival assassins again. Maybe this time, a more advanced version (randomly generated?) instead of preset characters.

Although, it should probably be an optional feature on higher difficulties :)

Interfectum

I don't care about Agent 47... in fact I think his plot is pretty dumb. I would be perfectly fine with a silent character that you can create yourself.

Soda

Interfectum said:
I don't care about Agent 47... in fact I think his plot is pretty dumb. I would be perfectly fine with a silent character that you can create yourself.

...notsureifserious

Interfectum

Soda said:
...notsureifserious

I am. I play Hitman for the gameplay. I always thought the science fiction clone nonsense was out of place. The only reason I like Agent 47 is due to the fact I associate his character with a fuck awesome game.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Interfectum said:
This is by far the worst thing that could happen to the game, even worse than it becoming an action packed cover shooter.

Soda

Interfectum said:
I am. I play Hitman for the gameplay. I always thought the science fiction clone nonsense was out of place. The only reason I like Agent 47 is due to the fact I associate his character with a fuck awesome game.

You do realize that if you have customizable characters the entire concept of "Agent 47" goes out the window, and with that goes Hitman too.

helipilot22

Neo Member
He's already a blank canvas, clearly it was designed that way on purpose.
Lots of games do it, stating the bleeding obvious here but its just so we can paint ourselves in, that is all its for.

MMaRsu

Banned
WanderingWind said:
...geez dude. I agree with you, but calm down...he's allowed his cruddy opinion. :p

Yeah sorry about getting so worked up. To be honest this is just one of my favorite game series of all times, I have enjoyed them sooo much.

I'm just scared :(

Hold me :(

Interfectum

Soda said:
You do realize that if you have customizable characters the entire concept of "Agent 47" goes out the window, and with that goes Hitman too.

It terms of story, sure. But I don't really care about Hitman's story. What kept me going through the games were the insanely open ended scenarios that you could solve in tons of different ways.

Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with Agent 47 as he is.... Blood Money is my favorite game of all time. But, in general, I want the gameplay to be there before anything else. They could replace 47 with a stick figure and I'd be fine as long as it played true to Hitman.

Soda

Interfectum said:
It terms of story, sure. But I don't really care about Hitman's story. What kept me going through the games were the insanely open ended scenarios that you could solve in tons of different ways.

Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with Agent 47 as he is.... Blood Money is my favorite game of all time. But, in general, I want the gameplay to be there before anything else. They could replace 47 with a stick figure and I'd be fine as long as it played true to Hitman.

I have to disagree with you. If 47 started wearing jeans and JCrew sweaters I would definitely not enjoy the game as much. The fact he is in a clean pressed black suit, blood red tie (symbol of power), and clean shaven makes me get into the mindset that he is an expert assassin. Otherwise I would have no problem with just going CoD on my targets. 47 sets the tone of the game, he is a man of few words but intelligent.

edit: seriously dude, don't even get me started

1698463-agent47_large.jpg
tom-clancys-splinter-cell-conviction-20090608060109390_640w.jpg

Top Bottom