• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman Absolution Announced (2012, PS3/360/PC, Teaser) [Update: New Details]

Soda said:
I have a proposal for all of NeoGAF,

GAF is unquestionably the largest internet gaming message board. Developers, investors, and other video game media outlets look to NeoGAF for news and opinions. I think that the moderators of this board and its members should compose a single unified letter to IO pleading to not redesign Hitman Absolution into something completely different. Agent 47 is not an acrobatic; I don't want to see him doing swan dives off tall buildings. His greatest talent is hiding in plain sight, and he should never be forced to use a firearm or even raise suspicious of his presence. Another user posted earlier that if they ruin this, there will be no more stealth games. I know it's a shot in the dark, but I would much rather have this game get delayed and come out as something we want rather than a game like Conviction.
Let's not go down this path. They're going to do what they're going to do.

Soda said:
You do realize that if you have customizable characters the entire concept of "Agent 47" goes out the window, and with that goes Hitman too.
I don't agree with that at all. In fact I agree 100% with Interfectum when he said:

Interfectum said:
I am. I play Hitman for the gameplay. I always thought the science fiction clone nonsense was out of place. The only reason I like Agent 47 is due to the fact I associate his character with a fuck awesome game.

I love 47. he is the best blank slate NO CHARACTER character ever. step aside 360 avatars, hehe. him in his suit is at the same time up there with the most iconic of game characters. but I also agree with Interfectum, I do not give a fuck even slightly about his personal story. although I do really like in Blood Money where he is sort of a mythical creature.

all this talk of hitman got me to start blood money again from the beginning (just started the third mission now), and I think actually this is the first time ever I've watched the cutscenes. :-DD

Interfectum said:
Haha. Yes I've played through Death to Spies 1 and 2 to try to get my Hitman fix. They are okay but it's just not the same.
I do like that they're breaking it off from being a complete clone. I actually really really like those games, especially Moment of Truth.

Interfectum

Don't get me wrong, I love the iconic look of Agent 47. I just don't see the point of spending potentially millions of dollars on cutscenes around him. He's a bald, blank slate and that's all he should be.

MMaRsu

Banned
Joseph Merrick said:
I love 47. he is the best blank slate NO CHARACTER character ever. step aside 360 avatars, hehe. him in his suit is at the same time up there with the most iconic of game characters. but I also agree with Interfectum, I do not give a fuck even slightly about his personal story. although I do really like in Blood Money where he is sort of a mythical creature.

all this talk of hitman got me to start blood money again from the beginning (just started the third mission now), and I think actually this is the first time ever I've watched the cutscenes. :-DD

I do like that they're breaking it off from being a complete clone. I actually really really like those games, especially Moment of Truth.

I also don't care about his personal story, but I do like 47 alot.

Soda

Neuromancer said:
Let's not go down this path. They're going to do what they're going to do.

:

wtf dude, they make video games for us! They work for us, they are supposed to cater to our needs. Why have we allowed them to get away with doing "what they're going to do?"

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
""They've known each other an extremely long time, and in the Hitman world, she is what Q is to James Bond. So she sets the assignments, tells him where to go and who to kill.""

WTF, Q doesn't do that, Q just makes the gadgets. lol

Soda said:
wtf dude, they make video games for us! They work for us, they are supposed to cater to our needs. Why have we allowed them to get away with doing "what they're going to do?"
Haha OK then go for it, draft a letter.

Soda

Ether_Snake said:
""They've known each other an extremely long time, and in the Hitman world, she is what Q is to James Bond. So she sets the assignments, tells him where to go and who to kill.""

WTF, Q doesn't do that, Q just makes the gadgets. lol

I think they meant M lol

Neuromancer said:
Haha OK then go for it, draft a letter.

Alright I will, but I would need a way to send it to them that would show it was from NeoGAF and not from me personally.

Soda said:
I think they meant M lol

Alright I will, but I would need a way to send it to them that would show it was from NeoGAF and not from me personally.
PM it to EviLore, he'll take care of it. Post it here first though so we can all take a look at it and make comments.

Soda

Neuromancer said:
PM it to EviLore, he'll take care of it. Post it here first though so we can all take a look at it and make comments.

Alright, I will try to compose it this weekend.

GAF
Please PM me why the Hitman series is so great. I am looking for ideas that I may not have thought about and your input would be appreciated. After all, this letter will be representing your interests so have them heard!

MMaRsu

Banned
Soda said:
Alright, I will try to compose it this weekend.

GAF
Please PM me why the Hitman series is so great. I am looking for ideas that I may not have thought about and your input would be appreciated. After all, this letter will be representing your interests so have them heard!

I'm with ya man! I'll type of my favorite things about the Hitman series a little later on.
I know this probably won't matter one bit, and they will do whatever they want to do but it never hurts to try.

ArjanN

Sure is Chicken Little in here.

There's no reason to assume the worst yet. At least wait until they actually show anything.

Angry Fork

Angry Fork said:
Incoming large set pieces, cover based combat facing dozens of guys at once, over the shoulder camera, stealth gameplay completely gone etc. Betting on it 100%. Many will be disappointed. It's been the same with every major last-gen franchise, tons of unnecessary BS changes for the worse.
Quoting myself again to remind of the incoming shit storm once they show the game.

Darkarium

Neo Member
I think we can all agree the following:
-If Jesper Kyd isn't doing the soundtrack, it will be terrible
-If David Bateson isn't voicing 47, it will be terrible
-If Timothy Olyphant has anything to do with the project in any way, shape or form, it will be terrible

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
alr1ghtstart said:
hitman5dudebro_ynz9.jpg
: (

RedStep

Soda said:

Are you retarded? They're not public servants, they're artists/entertainers.

Would you write a letter to a film production crew and demand that they change the tone of their film? Or to a band and demand that they go back to their old sound? Game production is no different. They have the right to make whatever they want, and you have the right to choose your entertainment based on what you want.

Also, why would you have "needs" that are based around a Hitman game?

Based on their previous output (K+L could use some work), I trust IO for now. If what we actually see from the game looks shitty, that's one thing. Every comment in here is based on a short promotional writeup that really says nothing.

I guess I'm in the minority that would love to see Timothy Olyphant get in on this project.

Has anyone watched Justified? The guy knows what he's doing.

DarkSoul520 said:
I guess I'm in the minority that would love to see Timothy Olyphant get in on this project.

Has anyone watched Justified? The guy knows what he's doing.

True enough... but David Bateson's always been the voice for 47. But Olyphant coming back for the movie would rock, he was awesome in it.

just gimme H2 silent assassin with new gen makeup and i would be happy :p

this is what i want from the new game:

-stealth (silenced guns, wire, stealing outfits, etc.)
-standard suit with black tie
-bald, branded, and a man of few words (aka no emotion, just stone cold killer)

-i want to clear entire levels without anyone knowing i was ever there.

Soda

RedStep said:
Are you retarded? They're not public servants, they're artists/entertainers.

Would you write a letter to a film production crew and demand that they change the tone of their film? Or to a band and demand that they go back to their old sound? Game production is no different. They have the right to make whatever they want, and you have the right to choose your entertainment based on what you want.

Also, why would you have "needs" that are based around a Hitman game?

Based on their previous output (K+L could use some work), I trust IO for now. If what we actually see from the game looks shitty, that's one thing. Every comment in here is based on a short promotional writeup that really says nothing.

Get your head out of your ass and stop defending the rapid decline of video game civilization. The direction it is heading in is a direction of profit and generalized marketability. Instead of producing a game that those who play it will love, they want to produce a game that will sell more, regardless if it disappoints its fanbase. Those new to the series will not take anything memorable from it, other than "oh how fun I killed a man because the game told me how to do it" and it will be forgotten. Games like MGS3 and Final Fantasy VII are still considered amazing games because they were created with the fanbase in mind.

So yeah, I would personally tell Hideo Kojima to his face that MGS4 should have been more like MGS3, regardless of what 'artistic' direction he intended on taking it.

Radogol

Darkarium said:
I think we can all agree the following:
-If Jesper Kyd isn't doing the soundtrack, it will be terrible
-If David Bateson isn't voicing 47, it will be terrible
-If Timothy Olyphant has anything to do with the project in any way, shape or form, it will be terrible

That's all superficial shit, really.

MMaRsu

Banned
Radogol said:
That's all superficial shit, really.

They are good indications.

Just like The Darkness II main character Jackie Estocado being voiced by Nolan North instead of the awesome dude who voiced Jackie in the first game ( perfectly by the way ).

MMaRsu said:
They are good indications.

Just like The Darkness II main character Jackie Estocado being voiced by Nolan North instead of the awesome dude who voiced Jackie in the first game ( perfectly by the way ).

There was an interview with one of the devs of Darkness II who said Nolan's voice is actually place-holder right now.

Soda said:
I have a proposal for all of NeoGAF,

GAF is unquestionably the largest internet gaming message board. Developers, investors, and other video game media outlets look to NeoGAF for news and opinions. I think that the moderators of this board and its members should compose a single unified letter to IO pleading to not redesign Hitman Absolution into something completely different. Agent 47 is not an acrobatic; I don't want to see him doing swan dives off tall buildings. His greatest talent is hiding in plain sight, and he should never be forced to use a firearm or even raise suspicious of his presence. Another user posted earlier that if they ruin this, there will be no more stealth games. I know it's a shot in the dark, but I would much rather have this game get delayed and come out as something we want rather than a game like Conviction.
This. If IO dumbs down hitman they're on my forever boycott list!

Also fuck all you dumbasses who think Agent 47 is "dull".

47 has way more charisma than all the smartass bald spacemarines.

The guy was made for killing, that's his purpose. We got all the backstory we need for him. I don't want some killstreaking hipster-hitman who throws out smartass one liners all the time while being conflicted with his inner demons in cutscenes.

Majora

There's a lot of 'the sky is falling!' type posts in here. I'm concerned about how this will turn out but we basically know nothing about how the game plays. You could easily describe Blood Money as being a dark story about a conspiracy, Agent 47 not knowing who to trust etc...but in the end it had barely any impact on the gameplay outside of minor things like the assassin in You Better Watch Out or the Epilogue.

Anyway, it doesn't really prove anything but a big Hitman fan on another forum I post on posted this on IO's twitter:

iotweets2.jpg

Lime

People need to chill the fuck out. We don't know sufficiently about the game to call out what one or the other do not like about the direction - the discussion is becoming too much of a hysteria. I'd recommend waiting and seeing before jumping to conclusions.

MMaRsu

Banned
I think all of this was posted already but still.
The main villain in Hitman: Absolution is Blake Dexter, played by Cowboys & Aliens star Keith Carradine.
Agent 47's handler is Diana Burnwood, played by White Collar's Marsha Thomason. Diana is said to have a "close relationship" with Agent 47, Hollywood Reporter revealed.
"Diana is 47's only true human contact," Thomason said. "They've known each other an extremely long time, and in the Hitman world, she is what Q is to James Bond. So she sets the assignments, tells him where to go and who to kill."
"The character I play in Hitman: Absolution is as multidimensional as any well-imagined character should be," Carradine said.
"The vividness of the world entered by the gamer hinges on detail. To fully engage the attention of the player requires nothing less than the most completely realized universe of geography and personality."
Developer IO is working with a dozen Hollywood actors for the hotly-anticipated game, due out next year. - Actors are required to provide performance capture and voice over work, conducted in Giant Studios, which James Cameron used for blockbuster movie Avatar.
IO has captured "complex scenes" with up to seven actors on set at once. Absolution focuses on the emotional stories that evolve, director Tore Blystad said.
"We had actors like Marsha and Keith come in and do full-body acting with facial and voice being captured simultaneously in scenes. - "Some of these scenes were very complex with all kinds of props and interactions amongst the actors."
Absolution has been built "from the ground up" by IO using its new proprietary Glacier 2 technology.
Blystad described it as "more stylised, more serious, and darker this time around in both the story line and the visuals".
Agent 47 goes on different missions throughout the US, with part of the game taking place in Chicago.
A new Hitman movie launches next year to coincide with the film. Daniel Casey (Jimmy Six) has written the script. The film is said to have an original story and characters, "but will retain the look and feel of the new game".
"The hope is that the movie will be going in a similar direction, and then when they both come out they will speak the same language. They won't follow the old Hitman games, but rather go with this newer direction."

UGH

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
There was an interview with one of the devs of Darkness II who said Nolan's voice is actually place-holder right now.

Failure avoided! Faith reinstigated ( the Edge preview was really good actually ).

Wasn't the first movie a failure, compared to the videogames?
Why are they suddenly making the games like the movie?
That's like the WORST thing they could do.
Imagine super mario bros taking clues from the movie.

Angry Fork

Majora said:
There's a lot of 'the sky is falling!' type posts in here. I'm concerned about how this will turn out but we basically know nothing about how the game plays. You could easily describe Blood Money as being a dark story about a conspiracy, Agent 47 not knowing who to trust etc...but in the end it had barely any impact on the gameplay outside of minor things like the assassin in You Better Watch Out or the Epilogue.

Anyway, it doesn't really prove anything but a big Hitman fan on another forum I post on posted this on IO's twitter:

iotweets2.jpg
He could mean by name, since it is a Hitman name technically. Doesn't really say anything about gameplay though. I'd feel better if he also tweeted "stealth still included".

paskowitz

I am fine with an "action sequence". Like an escape or shootout. Just as long as its just one or two sections and there are stealth elements mixed in between and the rest of the game is the usual Hitman formula, just polished. If 47 has to sneak his way through a war zone, thats one way of having action, but keeping the stealth alive. MGS4 did this and it was a reasonably well received change of pace. I also hope they keep the levels open like they did in BM.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Angry Fork said:
He could mean by name, since it is a Hitman name technically. Doesn't really say anything about gameplay though. I'd feel better if he also tweeted "stealth still included".
Now thats reaching a bit.

However if I had a Twitter account I would explicitly ask them "do you think the levels are less or more linear and freeform then Blood Money? Or about the same?"

MMaRsu

Banned
The_Technomancer said:

However if I had a Twitter account I would explicitly ask them "do you think the levels are less or more linear and freeform then Blood Money? Or about the same?"

@IOInteractive About Hitman:Absolution,do you think the levels are less or more linear and freeform then Blood Money? Or about the same? thx

Done.

UrbanRats

Blystad described it as "more stylised, more serious, and darker this time around in both the story line and the visuals".
Agent 47 goes on different missions throughout the US, with part of the game taking place in Chicago.
:\

Hope i'm reading it wrong, but "only" the US?
Also too much focus on the damn storyline, i really hope they don't fuck this up.

MMaRsu

Banned
UrbanRats said:
:\

Hope i'm reading it wrong, but "only" the US?
Also too much focus on the damn storyline, i really hope they don't fuck this up.

Yup, US only is already a massive failure imo. I loved the diversity of locations in all games, and it's a staple of the series imo.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Okay...people. Some of you need to calm down. Twitter only allows for 140 characters! Nuance kind of flies out the window. That sentence could also mean "US based." Or that a portion takes place in Chicago. Nothing precludes there being other locales.

The_Technomancer said:

Didn't they show a drawing of a level a while ago? Seemed fairly big and not so linear.

WanderingWind said:
Okay...people. Some of you need to calm down. Twitter only allows for 140 characters! Nuance kind of flies out the window. That sentence could also mean "US based." Or that a portion takes place in Chicago. Nothing precludes there being other locales.

That's not from twitter, it's from the info on the first page.

UrbanRats

WanderingWind said:
Well, just to be clear, i'm not going to kill my self over it, but it's a topic about the game's rumors, so we discuss the rumors.
Giving opinions on the preliminary informations we gather, it's kinda the point of the thread.

And i'm saying: (IF) it's only in the US, it's (probably) gonna be a bad thing.
Not signing anything with my blood here and i'm not really upset about it.

Top Bottom