• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman Absolution Jan 2012 press tour-Hardcore option with NO HUD, health meters, etc

So... are all the levels going to be as linear and scripted as the ones they've shown thus far?
There will be some open levels apparently:

It isn't all sandbox environments this time around, Abrak said. "Later on, we will show you things to come, such as freedom in environments seen in Hitman games before. There are open environments that you know from earlier installments."
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/01/11/humanizing-a-killer-with-hitman-absolution/

So why aren't they using the same voice actor that's done all the damn games until now? And why no Jesper Kyd?

And I'll swallow this "guys, this is just for the previews so they aren't boring" stuff when the game is out and the fans are enjoying it.

FAKE EDIT: What the fuck is so difficult about using a menu to select an action that it need to be made "easier to understand?"

It's nice of them to come out and explain what they meant by "streamlining" now, but they had almost a year to clear that up, and instead they have almost killed my interest in this game. No Jesper Kyd pretty much seals it for me.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
So why aren't they using the same voice actor that's done all the damn games until now? And why no Jesper Kyd?

This might have something to do with this:

RPS: And with the music, the way that syncs with the AI, if you killed anyone in the world apart from one of the nuns, will it change to angelic choirs? Or sexy Barry White music if they’re getting it on?

Tore Blystad: (laughs) I think that might be going a little bit too far. Because not only is the music layered, but every single level has its own unique music, so that’s a lot of content, many hours of music that needs to be produced. If there was a particular funny moment we would like to enhance it somehow, we have very diverse composers who can produce all these styles and sometimes they’re sitting and jamming and they say “hey, can we use this stuff?” and we say “hey, that’s awesome, let’s make a new level for this”, so its been very synergic effect between the music, which came early. That’s new to us, before it was very much ‘here’s the game finished, now score this’. The art direction and audio direction have been the founding pillars of the project.

may be Kyd wasn't enough or his pay was too much or both. They need a lot of music in a lot of styles and they need very specific type of music - not just tracks, but pieces. May be Kyd decided against being involved in project with such strict demands to music.

FAKE EDIT: What the fuck is so difficult about using a menu to select an action that it need to be made "easier to understand?"

cumbersome, always was, always will.

Jb

cumbersome, always was, always will.

That's a really dumb remark for them to make considering there was no menu in Blood Money on 360: each face button was assigned to a different action.
hitmanblood_790screen043.jpg

It sounds like they're just trying to point out any flaw they could find in previous games so that they can justify the new direction for Absolution.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
That's a really dumb remark for them to make considering there was no menu in Blood Money on 360: each face button was assigned to a different action.

It sounds like they're just trying to point out any flaw they could find in previous games so that they can justify the new direction for Absolution.

I remember selecting it with mouse on PC but I don't quite remember if it was the case. I HATE navigating menus like that with mouse. Give me quick buttons. I like UI on this shot.

To be fair they have a reason to doubt this game will be good. It's by the devs of the Kane and Lynch games.

I quite liked K&L2, would rather have a third than Hitman : Arkham Convictions.

Obviously hyperbole and I will no doubt end up getting this sometime down the line, but at the moment it doesn't look very exciting and it makes me sad, used to love Hitman so much and was really looking forward to a proper current gen version of it.

I tried to ask questions that hardcore Hitman people would want to know the answers to for our OXM piece. I was surprised/impressed when they started talking about the no-HUD Hardcore mode.

Also, OP: I'm not sure where the Metacafe link came from, but would you mind replacing that with our direct link? Ours is a better-quality video anyway. Thanks! http://bit.ly/wwgrKk
Sure no problem :) (I got the meta cafe link trough the hitman official twitter.

Also interivew with gametrailers
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/instincts-of-hitman-absolution/725673

brunoa76

I would have preferred a good hitman game but it can be a good Splinter Cell clone at least (better than Convictions in hardcore mode).

Asside from jaggies froom hell, i think this game will be great for me.

Looks like fun for people with little time on their hands but still want a stealthy game.

Dabanton

Another game the self styled 'purists' end up looking very silly when we see and read more hear about it. Max Payne 3 is another one. Nothing wrong with being sceptical but the kneejerk and overzealous way some do is a bit too forced for me.

Blood Money was not a perfect game by any stretch of the imagination many things including controls were sometimes sloppy. I already see the animation in this game looks pretty good something that sells me the game. Saw a cool part where 47 threw a knife into a enemies who slumped realistically over the balcony before 47 pulled him off and dragged him off to hide his body.

Atm the game is looking good. Graphics look great can imagine playing this with the lights off surround sound on. The world looks 'busy' in a good way and ripe for exploration can't wait to see some of the more open levels.

Zen

Banned
So the sky isn't falling? The IO reps aren't pathological liars? GAF kneejerk reaction was in the wrong?

The Gaf kneejerk reaction, and outright ignoring historical trends with regards to the previous games marketing etc, was pretty pathetic.

Untracked

There were menus on 360 but only when more than one action was available for a specific button.
If you wanted to hide a weapon in a toolbox or cake you had to hold down 'Y' and select Place Mine, Place Ballers, Place Syringe etc from a drop down menu. It was a bit clunky but it worked fine. EDIT: 3:08 in this Video

Still don't know what to make of Absolution, I need to see a level played in different ways, like the DXHR video someone mentioned.

Disappointed that no gifs have been posted yet. I'm at work and can't see the videos. I'm interested in the game, it seems that this installment is giving options and freedom to the players to try different things with their version of the assassin, Great news in my opinion.

Aselith

Not with a keyboard (the reason to play on a PC).

The reason to play a PC is framerate, resolution, modability and the multitude of control options. You can use any control scheme under the sun if you want to enough to pursue it. Limiting yourself to m+k only is like buying a swiss army knife but only being willing to use the bottlecap opener. You're only hurting yourself with that attitude, brother.

I know these consoles have hurt you by convincing you that one control option exists per platform. Come to the PC and experience nirvana.

Cautiously optimistic. The new footage looks promising, but I'm still not entirely convinced based on everything they've said about the game.

And you just know the lack of map will make hardcore mode so much more trial and error than any of the previous titles, which makes their complaints about the previous titles (namely = Blood Money) being too trial and error a little strange to say the least.

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if they made it so trial and error due to the complaints of dumbing down/going casual.

I get this great image of an idiot gamer paying Blood Money, encountering a context menu, and spazzing out because it's just so hard to understand.

"Clunky" or not, there's nothing difficult to understand about that mechanic.

Mother of god. This makes me want to buy all the oldies and go through them all in time for release... :D

DO IT.

Absolutely no mention about wearing disguises. Game still resembles Splinter Cell Conviction more than any of the past games in the Hitman series.

Zen

Banned
Absolutely no mention about wearing disguises. Game still resembles Splinter Cell Conviction more than any of the past games in the Hitman series.

It's a good thing we've already seen gameplay of him wearing disguises and they've mentioned that this is still a key mechanic in the game. It would be unfortunate if you made an uninformed post. :|

Tacitus_

It's a good thing we've already seen gameplay of him wearing disguises and they've mentioned that this is still a key mechanic in the game. It would be unfortunate if you made an uninformed post. :|

There's even two screenshots of 47 wearing a disguise on this damn page :lol

I think he meant disguises that could be worn at any point instead of set points as the footage suggests.

For example, 47 taking the cop uniform only seems to happen when he's in the generator room. He takes out a few cops before he reaches that point, but there doesn't seem to be any indication that he can take their uniform to disguise himself from the off.

Top Bottom