• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman Absolution Review thread

derFeef

Probably because most of the reviews praising it is from none English sites and sites that are considered shit (IGN and official console mags). RPS has always been one of the most respected sites when it comes to reviews on GAF.

RPS is good sometimes, but they are mostly in full glee mode like with Dishonored not mentioning the bad parts, or just smear all over the game, like with this.

iOS incompetence is amazing, they couldn't even get this right. I'm playing it at the moment abd it's like do they not understand or something.
There's an iOS version? :p
Overall it sounds somewhat disappointing but still enjoyable. It seems like it will be more fun if you can accept it isn't exactly a traditional Hitman game.

I picked it up full price. Already regretting it.

I bought it full price also. I don't regret my purchase, but I had adjusted my expectations after reading the pc gamer review.

I think if you can accept it's not a pure hitman game, you might be able to get some enjoyment out of it.

the one thing that can be taken away from this is that IO didn't do what ubisoft did and completely gut the series and pretend it was still the same. here, IO have kept some of the roots from past games, but haven't been able to successfully integrate them with the new design choices.

Ninjimbo

What's the review to read if you've never played a Hitman? I'm interested in this game but all the reviews I read are comparing it to previous games.

JDSN

Banned
Funny how people cherry-pick the low-score and harsh reviews, but I can't say I am delighted by them, I can see why someone might hate certain aspects of it.

Is it cherry-picking if I thrust a reviewer that has consistently shown to know the fundamentals of the series and how Absolution skips them or misinterpret them?

Or maybe I should trust IGN's review? After all, they hired Lauren Wainwright on the site.

Eideka

Banned
In the end it sucks for us PC gamers too because consoles are holding our games back

Next gen pls hurry

Please, this argument has been played out.

Without consoles we wouldn't even have those games !

Do you think a game such as Absolution could recoup its costs on PC alone ? I find this hard to believe, although I agree that consoles necessarily imply technological trade off (so does the PC to a lesser degree) I strongly disagree when someone says they are "holding the PC back". I'm sorry but if the audience would large enough to warrant high dev costs then we would see AAA PC exclusives, the hard truth is that the piracy rate on PC is sky high and that severely limits the chances of an ambitious PC game to be profitable.

The axiom according to which a pirated copy = lost sale is utterly stupid but this frame of mind is scarved upon publishers' brains. The only thing holding the PC platform back is piracy, as long as it will remain rampant there are no chances we will see many high-profile, graphical powerhous PC exclusive games.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Please, this argument has been played out.

Without consoles we wouldn't even have those games !

Do you think a game such as Absolution could recoup its costs on PC alone ?

this game won't recoup its costs even with console sales attached.

jimi_dini

Besides, the RPS review is very well written and puts the game into the series' context.

Exactly. And which every review should do.

I mean if it wouldn't matter, then don't fucking call it Hitman: Absolution.
Just like "Splinter Cell: Conviction" should have been called "Jason Bourne: The game"
or "SOCOM Confrontation" should have been called "Buggy crappy mess of a game"
or "SOCOM 4" should have been called "this is not like the PS2-SOCOM games"
or "Syndicate" should have been called "Generic futuristic boring first person shooter"

I mean they are calling it that way, so that fans of the Hitman series assume that it's at least on par with those games and buy it because of that.

Blood Money had it right gameplay wise. You had a really easy setting for the "meh, that's too difficult crowd". But the difficulty was fine anywhere else. Sandbox levels were gigantic and full of all sorts of ways of getting to your target. But this time, they had to also deliver to the "oh shiny" crowd. So they used an engine, that wasn't able to do a proper job, so they had to do chunk-levels. I would have been perfectly happy with Blood Money on 360 type graphics, if there was the same type of gameplay and the gigantic sandbox levels. They knew it from the start, so if all those other groups are way larger than the hitman fan group - fine. But then be honest and say "this is not like the original hitman games". Instead they tacked on difficulty settings, which were not thought through and called them "those are for the hitman series fans lol".

I never understood why they never released Blood Money 2 one or two years later using the same engine but new levels. Would have been totally fine with me.

subversus

Do we even know how much it costed ? Three platforms and good marketing from Square Enix offer hope for decent sales.

And you're basing this theory on what exactly? The majority of very positive reviews from all the major console gaming websites and magazines?

This game won't make past 2-2.5 million copies sold which is a break-even point for most major releases these days as numerous interviews suggest. Crysis 2 broke even at 3 million copies. Most games of such caliber do 1-2 million copies with some exceptions, good reviews or not. This game doesn't look like an exception.

Eideka

Banned
This game won't make past 2-2.5 million copies sold which is a break-even point for most major releases these days as numerous interviews suggest.
Where is the deadline for those predictions ? 3 months after launch, or rather 6 ?

Crysis 2 broke even at 3 million copies. Most games of such caliber do 1-2 million copies with some exceptions, good reviews or not. This game doesn't look like an exception.
Broke even at 3 millions...Damn I did not know this. I know the market is large but still...it's huge.

AHA-Lambda

This game won't make past 2-2.5 million copies sold which is a break-even point for most major releases these days as numerous interviews suggest. Crysis 2 broke even at 3 million copies. Most games of such caliber do 1-2 million copies with some exceptions, good reviews or not. This game doesn't look like an exception.

I doubt that unfortunately :(
I could see it doing 3-4m shipped.

Eideka

Banned
1 year with Steam sales.

I don't believe you are far off with your assumptions.

2.5 millions would still be good numbers for a Hitman game but I hope that its budget has remained under control all the way through so they can make a decent profit out of it.

subversus

I doubt that unfortunately :(
I could see it doing 3-4m shipped.

Well, they can make it to 3 million copies sold lifetime with dirt cheap sales.

But let's see initial sales. If Deus Ex sold through like 2,5 million copies I don't think this game has higher chances of doing this with more mixed reception among critics and fans.

spk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AwhhaCrSrI

Sessler's review :/

"huge sandbox levels have never been more huge, or more sandboxy"
"a breathe of fresh air, a strong narrative, great cast, visually impressive, tons of replay value, and it fully delivers on the promise of a modern Hitman game"

RATING: BUY IT
PRO:
-Cinematic Presentation
-Flexible sandbox gameplay
-Instinct helps discover choices
-Visually stunning
CON:
-Frustrating checkpoint system
-Point style rewards one playstyle

Wow those are really all over the place. COD is fragmenting the player base. ;)

Ah man Derrick got banned? Looks like there is some Blood Money in this game.

cartridge

Banned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AwhhaCrSrI

Sessler's review :/

"huge sandbox levels have never been more huge, or more sandboxy"
"a breathe of fresh air, a strong narrative, great cast, visually impressive, tons of replay value, and it fully delivers on the promise of a modern Hitman game"

RATING: BUY IT
PRO:
-Cinematic Presentation
-Flexible sandbox gameplay
-Instinct helps discover choices
-Visually stunning
CON:
-Frustrating checkpoint system
-Point style rewards one playstyle

Adam is obsessively articulate and fair with his reviews. Great review as always.

The checkpoints and skewed scoring are easily fixed with a patch.

derFeef

It must be noted that he was right. The game is in many respects disappointing for an old Hitman aficionado.

I would not call me an old Hitman aficionado, I really liked SA :)p) and liked BM because it basically was a toybox but overly forgiving in some aspects. I don't think he is "right". I am sure this game is not for him anymore (which game is?), but please don't plaster one's opinion over the thread and mark it as the true and only one.

Eideka

Banned
I would not call me an old Hitman aficionado, I really liked SA :)p) and liked BM because it basically was a toybox but overly forgiving in some aspects. I don't think he is "right". I am sure this game is not for him anymore (which game is?), but please don't plaster one's opinion over the thread and mark it as the true and only one.

If you happen to be a admirer of the old formula chances are you will draw the same conclusions as he did. In this sense he was right.

That does not mean different opinions aren't as valid, I have no idea how you would have understood this. Gamers such as myself, despite loving Silent Assassin, will certainly praise the game.

I don't mind so called cinematic experiences, ergo a bigger focus on story-telling and atmosphere is not going to bother me.

Furthermore it seems Absolution has remained true to its stealth origins, albeit in a more modern form. I watched some playthroughs and it seems to me that Absolution will be a worthy entry in the series.

Those are pretty decent reviews. They haven't turned me off from getting the game, so I'm still grabbing it on Tuesday. The reviews are about what I expected, truth be told.

Top Bottom