• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman Absolution Review thread

Tain

I will summarize my posts from the OT.

This is not like the old Hitman games. It is pretty much a full blown stealth game now, akin to something like Splinter Cell. As this type of game, it is actually pretty good. Better even than a lot of the latest entries into the stealth genre. This is, of course, if you do not play on normal difficulty. DO not ever play on normal difficulty if you want to actually play the game. Normal is horrible. I have been going through on Expert and it is very fun.

If you want more murder puzzles, this game has taken the focus away from that. If you like stealth games you will like this as long as you play on an appropriate difficulty.

cool. I figured the experience would be pretty drastic between difficulty levels. Generally is with Hitman.

Interfectum

I will summarize my posts from the OT.

This is not like the old Hitman games. It is pretty much a full blown stealth game now, akin to something like Splinter Cell. As this type of game, it is actually pretty good. Better even than a lot of the latest entries into the stealth genre. This is, of course, if you do not play on normal difficulty. DO not ever play on normal difficulty if you want to actually play the game. Normal is horrible. I have been going through on Expert and it is very fun.

If you want more murder puzzles, this game has taken the focus away from that. If you like stealth games you will like this as long as you play on an appropriate difficulty.

This is true, to a point. But in Absolution I am using old school "Hitman tactics" and I haven't done that in any other stealth game since Blood Money. So yeah, it's a little more like Splinter Cell but I wouldn't go so far to say it's like any other stealth game out there now because it still feels like a Hitman game to a degree.

Derrick01

Banned
I would not call me an old Hitman aficionado, I really liked SA :)p) and liked BM because it basically was a toybox but overly forgiving in some aspects. I don't think he is "right". I am sure this game is not for him anymore (which game is?), but please don't plaster one's opinion over the thread and mark it as the true and only one.

Very late here but I was sitting on this particular post for 4 days while I was banned.

I was absolutely right because my only claim from the very start (almost a year ago now? I forget exactly) is this would not be a "real" hitman game and obviously most of these reviews back up what I said, even the positive ones. I didn't say that you couldn't like the game and if you choose to do that with everything they did to the series here then that's your deal. But yes I was objectively correct.

Lime

Either I'm bored at work or this was a pretty well-written review:

Hitman Absolution is a fascinating case of an error of judgment costing a game its heart. For Absolution, that mistake was placing a focus on a story that didn't need to be told and nobody wanted to hear. The Hitman games have always had narrative, but it existed mainly in vignettes. Tall tales of an assassin ghosting through a theatre, a festival, a sicilian winery, wordlessly dispatching the targets given to him without question. Sometimes the only mark he left were a few bullet cases, sometimes there was nothing at all. Just a terrible accident and when people were asked if they saw anything suspicious that day, they might say "well, there was this bald bloke in a suit..."

Of course, there's nothing wrong with pushing narrative in video games. Nor is it wrong for a developer to take risks with a beloved series. But you feel Absolution does so for the wrong reasons, to ride on the coat-tails of successful narrative-driven games; to have an excuse to incorporate Uncharted style set-pieces and bombast. But wrong reasons or right reasons, there's little to disguise that Absolution's narrative ultimately fails because it's trash. A grubby and incoherent yarn where the men are vile perverts and all the women are daftly proportioned sex objects.

Disregarding the fact the it probably has no place in the Hitman series, linearity can still be a real strength for many games. But when you are funnelling your players, you need to supply the tools and design to make the journey exciting. Absolution's main problem is that, by spreading its focus between open assassinations and more generic stealth-action, it succeeds at neither. Which leads to dire compromise.

omonimo

Banned
The better port? A friend got it for 360 for me for Christmas and told me he could switch it out if I liked.

Holy MLAA, imho. I think MLAA is a lot better of FXAA, FXAA blurried more the texture & in the long lines not works as good as MLAA, but I imagine it's matter of taste.

Top Bottom