• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogan on FOX doc show: "As far as the black community and using that word, it's not part of who I am now."

RBH

Hulk Hogan was the subject of the FOX News documentary show "OBJECTified" (credit to Wrestling Inc) over the weekend and opened up about the scandal he faced when a sex tape in which he was featured was leaked by the website Gawker. Hogan infamously used a racial slur during the tape, the publication of which led to Hogan being fired from the WWE.

Hogan said when he found out the Gawker story was being released, he decided to be proactive and tell the WWE before it hit the newswire. He thought that might buy him some goodwill. It did not.

“When I heard this was going to happen, I called them on a Thursday or a Friday," explained Hogan. "As I hung up the phone that night, they fired me in the morning. It really caught me off guard, I didn’t expect it because the WWE knows who I am. I’m not that person, that’s not who I am and that’s not what I do.”

Hogan was asked if he'd still be using that particular portion of his vocabulary, had he not been outed. Hogan replied, “No. I tried to clean up my whole life. I made a whole switch, almost a shift from being negative… I moved forward so I’m in check with myself.”

Hogan continued: “As far as the black community and using that word, it’s not part of who I am now. It’s not part of my language because I understand how powerful words are. You know, growing up in South Tampa where we came from, it was a situation where when you played baseball and basketball and ran around in South Tampa, it was just common knowledge 45 – 50 years ago [that people said that word], but it’s not that way anymore.”

There have been rumors that Hogan might be eventually be welcomed back into the WWE, but when asked in the documentary Hogan doesn't seem so confident: "I'm not sure. ... I think they did what was best for business," he said. "They were worried about losing sponsors and network support."
https://www.fightful.com/hulk-hogan-says-he-doesn-t-use-n-word-any-more-it-s-not-part-who-i-am-now

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
"Best for business" was not just a catchphrase

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Are you fucking kidding me? Ughhhhhh I hope it isn't true

You musta been living under a rock somewhere becuase Hogan got caught, had recorded tape and audio come out, got fired, got into the Gawker trial over this, got Gawker shut down. All years ago.

I mean I figured it would happen because there wasn't any reason to necrobump the old thread, but this was huge news back in 2015.

NYR

I can’t help but forgive him, he provided me with so mich joy and he sounds sincere. So many black wrestlers came up to bat for him to say that wasn’t how he was with them, I really believe it was an error in judgement.

Totally in the minority I know but I would tune in if he came back.

Xyrmellon

Why does he keep saying South Tampa like it's fucking Compton or something. I've lived here for 20 years and south Tampa is one of the ritziest parts of the city. Most of the athletes and celebrities and whose who of Tampa live in south Tampa.

Man single handedly destroyed my nostalgia for my childhood. We use to watch and cheer the man. A bunch of Black kids. Can't have shit...

cordy

Banned
Yeah what Hogan said was bad, I'll personally never forgive him given I'm black and nah that doesn't fly with me...

But this is years old, where were yall when this dropped? This was huge and was everywhere. I even heard The Breakfast Club talking about it. I mean the original thread hit 55 pages before today.

Good for him if he actually cleaned up his act, but I don't see a point in the future where the name 'Hulk Hogan' doesn't make me want to barf.

thefro

Good for him if he actually cleaned up his act, but I don't see a point in the future where the name 'Hulk Hogan' doesn't make me want to barf.

Well, you'd better not look up all the stuff other wrestlers of his era did then.

I don't trust Hogan, but I don't think he should be blacklisted for life for saying some racist stuff in the privacy of his home.

THE GUY

Banned
Hogan: "As far as the black community and using that word, it's not part of who I am now."

Turns to white agent.

Terry Bollea: "Nigger, where's my coffee?"

Velcro Fly

Dude is zigging while everyone else seems to be zagging.

I give it another couple years and he will be back with the WWE is some capacity.

kFGLEr4.png

Well, you'd better not look up all the stuff other wrestlers of his era did then.

I don't trust Hogan, but I don't think he should be blacklisted for life for saying some racist stuff in the privacy of his home.

Ah, the classic “everyone is terrible” followed by the “private racism is fine”

cinco

Terrible news. At least we still have Kevin Sorbo.

Lol. At least Sorbo is just a regular scumbag and not a racist. (That I know of anyway) A friend of mine did a movie with him and despite her repeatedly turning him down he tried to get into her pants the entire shoot. Sorbo is 100% catching these hands if I ever run into him.

thefro

Ah, the classic ”everyone is terrible" followed by the ”private racism is fine"

Not saying it's fine, just that he's gotten a disproportionate amount of grief after he's repeatedly apologized for it and basically been blacklisted from WWE for 2 years. The tape was recorded over ten years ago.

You've got to forgive people at some point.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Not saying it's fine, just that he's gotten a disproportionate amount of grief after he's repeatedly apologized for it and basically been blacklisted from WWE for 2 years.

Nobody wants Hogan back or gets anything out of him coming back

legacyzero

Banned
You goofed me, Stump.

anyway, here's my post from the other thread, after Stump split-bumped it LOL

I dunno man.. He said a dumb racist thing, sure. But he's almost redeemable for single-handedly destroying GAWKER.

Almost.

Daingurse

Not saying it's fine, just that he's gotten a disproportionate amount of grief after he's repeatedly apologized for it and basically been blacklisted from WWE for 2 years. The tape was recorded over ten years ago.

No I don't. Fuck him.

Top Bottom